Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just my usual cross-posting from the MotF. Do tell me what you think. I guess the map is not the best, but the setting is weird enough for my liking.
There's no Empire of Vegetarians

Canon: 1
Fanfic: 0
latest

France and her neighbours during The War of the League of Windsor (my timeline's version of the 1521-26 Italian War).

The Scottish civil war between the supporters of the young brothers Alexander IV (Duke of Albany, France) and James V (Earl of Angus, Tudor England) means that Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk, is dispatched North to reinstate James V at Edinburgh. However, the Earl of Angus ruffles some feathers and when Albany brings a Scottish army down from Stirling, the English are crushed between the well-placed army of the Lord Protector and the sortieing garrison under the Earl of Argyll. In the ensuing rout, the entire English artillery train is captured by Albany, who pursues the vanquished across the River Tweed and systematically conquers all of Cumber- and Northumberland.

In France, Francis I is preparing to lead a large Franco-Swiss force from Grenoble into Italy, where Genoa is being besieged by the Spaniards and imperial confederates. As 1524 dawns, the Most Christian King is thus poised to tread a dangerous road that might take him by the fields of Pavia...

The full resolution can be viewed here.

WgLFgeZ.png

I'm quite happy with how this map turned out, especially the way Scotland and Italy extends beyond the frame (although that was a **** to figure out). Let me know if you have any suggestions or corrections.

Last edited:
I'm quite happy with how this map turned out, especially the way Scotland and Italy extends beyond the frame (although that was a **** to figure out). Let me know if you have any suggestions or corrections.

It's good overall, but on that specific point I think it's a little too much extension- to the point where it feels like they're separate maps entirely pasted in. Especially with the lat-long lines not extending over that bit.

Especially with the lat-long lines not extending over that bit.
I disagree on that point specifically. If the map (physical world) is breaking the boundary of the plane (map formatting), then the map formatting should end at its own boundaries. I would, however, have the map border specifically “give way” to the land where it breaks the boundaries. Something like this example.
Screen Shot 2020-03-16 at 11.14.04 AM.png

It's good overall, but on that specific point I think it's a little too much extension- to the point where it feels like they're separate maps entirely pasted in. Especially with the lat-long lines not extending over that bit.

Weirdly enough, I disagree ;)

The focal point of the map is France, but both Milan and Scotland are important elements in the corresponding chapter. By weaving the elements of the map in and out of the frame, the centre of the piece is maintained on France while also adding depth and 'movement' to the overall expression.

Imo, maps breaking the boundary of the plate are great because they stop the prison feeling many maps have. I'm not sure how to describe this, but a lot of maps I see (a lot of the old maps I made or WIPs for example) look very much like the map itself is trapped behind prison bars due to the long lat lines intersecting over the top of it, so breaking the boundary makes it look great!

1584391206459.png

The Dope Confederacy from House of the Scorpion and its sequel The Lords of Opium. It's a country that emerged from the border between the fallen United States and Aztlán (Former Mexico) and is the number one provider of drugs to the rest of the world by the 22nd century.
From west to east, the provinces of the Confederacy are the Lands of Cocaine, Opium, Marijuana, Hash, Tobacco, Meth, Ecstasy, Snuff, and LSD.

A look at some of the major (claimed) ancestries in the various realms of the Union of American Realms as of 2020.

ddsk42t-4f2ac1cf-46fa-4eb4-88f3-5694b456a84a.png

Last edited:
The Dope Confederacy from House of the Scorpion and its sequel The Lords of Opium. It's a country that emerged from the border between the fallen United States and Aztlán (Former Mexico) and is the number one provider of drugs to the rest of the world by the 22nd century.
From west to east, the provinces of the Confederacy are the Lands of Cocaine, Opium, Marijuana, Hash, Tobacco, Meth, Ecstasy, Snuff, and LSD.
That's one dope confederacy!

Ace Combat Colonization.png

Decided to make map of Ace Combat in the mid 18th Century because why not and its a different approach.

Anea: The Kingdom of Nordanavik has recovered greatly since the Great Anean War of the early 1700s against North Point. North Point has occupied much of the continent and the city of Gracemeria, former capital of a Osean Royal Exile city state is now the head of the colonies in Anea. A new home guard has been established for the North Point Aneans called the "Emmerian Mounties". Yuketobanian colonization of Eastern Anea is also gaining ground has plenty of Yuke settlers pour to escape trouble on the Homefront.

Verusa: The Kingdom of Hellas with aid from the Bourbon Kingdom of Edouard and the Kingdom of Esperanza have finally pushed the Rumese Empire off the Europan Peninsula and into West Central Verusa. The massive Zhong Dynasty of Verusa is teetering into destruction after North Point ignited several Saathmein revolutions in the Empire. The Empire of Clavis remains a mess of rival shogunates and warlord states squabbling with each other while the nation remains isolated from the world besides with Verusa.

Usea: The Continent is split between Sapin and the Osea Royal Exiles of North Point. The Kingdom of North Point reigns supreme over Eastern Usea where 6 settler colonies remain loyal to the crown. In Western Usea, the majority Roma population is getting more anxious in the colony of Erusea. It doesn't help that the local Sapinish leadership has chosen to side more with the Edouardian based ethnicities in the colony rather than with Sapin herself. They have also adapted a couple names as well like D'Elise.

Osea: The Osean Federation and the Kingdom of Sapin are competing over the Califia peninsula as the Oseans want to take the entire area and gain coasts with the Ceres and Pacific Oceans. Sapin dominates the Southern End of Osea, however Osean inspired revolutionaries are starting to cause problems down there. The Belkan kingdoms continue to squabble between each other, being squeezed between the Principality of Dinsmark and the Sudreich Empire. Greater Ustio is in a precarious situation as and is in for a war of survival in the future against the Belkans. Nordland meanwhile is the only nation to have fully explored most of Northern Osea.

Neat! Why are there so many Slavs in Iowa and what is culture like predominantly Native American states?

The larger number of Slavs in this world is a result of the existence of a rather larger and independent Aleyska sharing a border with the northwestern UAR. There was also massive immigration of various European peoples into the UAR in the 20th Century following
the European biowarfare collapse
. TTL's Iowa, called the Twin Rivers here, had become the center of Aleyskan immigration into the UAR in the late 19th Century, which made it the prime destination for many Slavs later in the 20th Century.

Four members of the Union of American Realms (more a confederation than our OTL federation) are majority/plurality native: the Haudenosaunee Confederacy, the Northwest Confederacy, the Muscogean Confederacy, and the Mayaimi Confederacy. Culture varies in these four realms. However, nothing like the OTL Indian Removal Act occurred in TTL, so there are more natives. The Native Confederacies are even more autonomous than the non-native realms, and they were given the ability to restrict even intra-realm migration. Most adopted reforms in the mid-to-late 19th century so as to spur population growth with growing concerns of takeover by their neighbors. I have written extensively on the Haudenosaunee's version of this at this link, that post elaborates a bit on culture in the Haudenosaunee Confederacy, and also sheds some light on modern population figures there. The Haudenosaunee claim a modern day native population of over 800K, however, those numbers include mixed-individuals (with the degree of one being considered native becoming extremely lax in the modern era in Haudenosaunee). Moreover, there are concerns that the Haudenosaunee government "fixes" the numbers in order to keep the appearance that the realm maintains a larger population of native/mixed people than not. The HC claims a non-native population of around ~600K.

The native population in the UAR as a whole is much larger then the equivalent population in this region in OTL many times over. I would put the total number of people claiming native ancestry to some degree in the UAR at ~ >5M compared to an OTL figure ~2M for this same geographic region.

I will note that these populations are very much ASB and serve a narrative and creative purpose; I do not claim that such large native populations are realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.