Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and Michigan alone have a greater population than all of modern Canada. You mean to call it “North United States.”
Ignoring the supiciously convergent borders (which would imply a relatively late POD)... if the imagined scenario is supposed to be that Britain retained (or regained) the areas in question with an early POD, then it's quite possible for them to have filled primairly with people identifying as subjects of the British Crown.
I utterly hate the idea of Canadian Hoosiers :p

Isaac Beach

Banned
Tiny baby map, part of a larger remake I've been doodling for a lil' while. These United States are caught up in something of an EU-esque arrangement, but disparities in styles of government, economics, and politics prevents closer union. In particular, the global conflict between Naturalists and Semioticians has entrenched divides as to the US' loyalties, with Virginia, New York, Maryland and Carolinas sympathising with the Naturalists while Ithica, Sylvania, and Florida prefer the Semioticians. Georgia is too byzantine to maintain a consistent position. There's also the trouble of the Appalachians, who want their own state at the expense of the Carolinas and Virginia. Strikes, sit-ins and the odd train bomb are an ongoing headache.

These United States.png

As to specifics:

The Republic of Ithica - Kind of like if the Shakers had a state. Decidedly puritan with an anti-Catholic bent, but egalitarian, technologically innovative and communal. They were once known as New England but an anti-British backlash saw Ithica (a heavily corrupted form of the Algonquin əhtəkw, meaning 'Tidal River') adopted as recently as 2002. Within the Union they're stereotyped as joyless worker bees, without they're known for manufacturing toasters.
The State of New York - A third Polish, a third Jewish, a third everything else. New York has struggled in recent decades to maintain their position as the nexus of interunion trade, particularly as the Appalachian rail network economizes trade, and faces accusations of Canadian sock-puppetry. Nonetheless, New York is the biggest city in the US, and as in our timeline is known for stage plays and socialites, though they're more brushed up on their diacritics.
The Sylvanian Federation - They thought the name was very clever. Easily the most pro-semiotic state in the US, they've been quite liberal in their application of biomanagerial sciences and are a center of development in wetware computing. A side effect of this is their decidedly laissez-faire gender laws, which results in no end of grumbling among the neighbouring bureaucracies.
The Republic of Maryland - Regarded as the 'other Catholic state' after New York, something they're pretty testy about, their humble brag of hosting one of the two residencies of the exiled Pope has become shorthand for 'well actually I'm the OG this or that'. Also host the administrative capital of the US in Tomakonck-aka-New Castle, and so the setting of far too many bad spy thrillers.
Kingdom of Virginia - The most conservative of the American states, under the Washington dynasty they've spearheaded a number of wars and initiatives including the union's one colony. Their voracious appetite for immigration has given them a global profile, and the Hampton Roads metropole is nicknamed the City of Restaurateurs. Oh, also hate the French.
Republic of the Carolinas - When asked, most Americans will describe Carolinans as 'bitter', having had their ass historically handed to them by Georgia and Virginia. Despite this they're quite productive, known for slaughterhouses, tobacco (which is ubiquitously consumed), and hydroelectric power. They've also gone out of their way to spruce up the Piedmont, which attracts wistful Canadian women each spring.
Republic of Georgia - Georgia has rather complicated, quadratic race relations, due to the variable social, economic and political fortunes of their white, black, native and Chinese (yep, Chinese) communities. This is further contrived by their bizarre hot-cold opinion on semiotics and bioscience. They're politically dysfunctional, but a culturally resonant place for the United States. They also host the US navy out of Savannah, which features prominently in any novel that teaches broodingly soulful young men to embrace life and its infinite mysteries.
Union of Florida - The nation is a diarchy between Seminole nationalists and a pro-Latin, effectively Hispanic government. This, combined with their disgruntlement as to their marginalisation in the Caribbean by Cuban-Canadian doctrine and sympathies for the Semioticians makes them among the most skeptical of the American project. Nonetheless, touring Sylvanians fuels their economy, so they can't complain. The Seminole have also perfected biofuel in their vast algal springs, and have been raking in the cash as official Tomakonck policy pushes biofuel transport.

Tiny baby map, part of a larger remake I've been doodling for a lil' while. These United States are caught up in something of an EU-esque arrangement, but disparities in styles of government, economics, and politics prevents closer union. In particular, the global conflict between Naturalists and Semioticians has entrenched divides as to the US' loyalties, with Virginia, New York, Maryland and Carolinas sympathising with the Naturalists while Ithica, Sylvania, and Florida prefer the Semioticians. Georgia is too byzantine to maintain a consistent position. There's also the trouble of the Appalachians, who want their own state at the expense of the Carolinas and Virginia. Strikes, sit-ins and the odd train bomb are an ongoing headache.

Dunno what other people are talking about I love this map a lot. It's great.

These United States.png
An excellent map. I'm always a fan of elegant little worldas.

That's the best you could come up with? What about like Hamilton? Or Franklin, he's weird enough to be Virginia's widow loving King.
No, I am a sample of your audience and I demand you answer my questions. Also I've a suggestion for you. You ever heard of an alternate history game called Homefront?
So, you insult someone's work, demand they answer questions you have, and then rudely and bluntly say you have a "suggestion" for them? Seriously? Don't be an asshole.

An excellent map. I'm always a fan of elegant little worldas.

So, you insult someone's work, demand they answer questions you have, and then rudely and bluntly say you have a "suggestion" for them? Seriously? Don't be an asshole.

I think he's going for "friendly ribbing": it's just the internet that translates it into "being an asshole."

Rosenheim

Donor
Experimenting in Inkscape with a style based off of Japanese woodblock prints, more as a proof of concept at this stage.

ydOVZbb.png

I'm really not sure about the trees, but it's hard to make a non horribly time consuming way of drawing them. Thoughts?

I'm really not sure about the trees, but it's hard to make a non horribly time consuming way of drawing them. Thoughts?

I may have poor tastes, but I really like the trees you made. They communicate the idea that these green areas are forests without cluttering the map ^^ also the aesthetic is in general pretty great.

Status
Not open for further replies.