Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Ya, the Matatha's probably would make more sense.
2. Russia just doesn't like the British.
3. I'll be honest, this entire thins started as just a generic evil European empire thingy, with the p.o.d and justification just being very light fluff at best, as is often the case with pretty much anything I make for this particular thread, it mainly operates on this principle, so I will fully own up to any destruction caused to the logic ecosystem.
4. I also just wanted to make a space filling empire.

This map is the WIP edition of my USA TL ideas.
World 1934.png

Last edited:
The Mughals (1526-1857) both predated and outlasted the Marathas (1674-1818).

True, but they were reduced to little more than the vicinity of Delhi by the mid-1700s. They survived into the period of British rule because the crumbling of their state and Maratha expansion had already made them harmless enough that the British were willing to tolerate them, at least until the 1857 rebellion ("Mutiny") chose the last Mughal as a figurehead.

I mean, it's a good map ruined by jpeg.

That's what I was afraid of. I'll have to redo it for archival purposes, but now that it exists only in jpeg form I'll have to redo the whole damn thing by hand, which I really don't look forward to.

at least until the 1857 rebellion ("Mutiny") chose the last Mughal as a figurehead.

Actually, that might be a way to get a *Mughal state in India in spite of the late POD: a more successful European-backed Indian revolt, which keeps the Mughals as titular heads of state (this being a world mostly of kings and emperors, having a monarch with a long dynastic backstory is a prestige thing)

ddr8v98-97eca411-fe79-4523-b7d3-16fa27555b85.png

Technically not alternate history but I'll move back onto doing that, just experiementing with styles. Been a while since I last posted a map. During this time, I've been learning QGIS and Blender to create better maps. Let me know if you have any feedback!
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

This map’s purpose is to provide a Scottish perspective of the isle of Great Britain. This is achieved through the use of Scots language, a south-east orientation, and a perspective at an angle of 35°.

Method…

1. Generating TIFF

a. Download relief data and merge into one file covering area.

b. Reproject TIFF and clip by extent.

c. Resample TIFF to a lower resolution to avoid noise when rendering.

d. Rescale TIFF to a much greater scale to avoid terracing.

i. Formula: “ReSampled TIFF” / 1250 x 65535

e. Translate TIFF to Unt16.

2. Generate High Resolution Base Image.

3. Import Base Image as the base colour of a plane and Translated TIFF into Blender with its colour corresponding to the displacement height of the plane’s material output (Midlevel 0.5 and Scale 0.1).

a. Angle camera at 35° for perspective.

4. Import rendered image into Inkscape to label.

5. Export as final image.

Shaded relief from…

Jarvis A., H.I. Reuter, A. Nelson, E. Guevara, 2008, Hole-filled seamless SRTM data V4, International Centre for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT), available from srtm.csi.cgiar.org.

British coastline, Roads and motorways from…

Ordnance Survey Strategi: Contains OS data © Crown copyright and database right 2018, available from www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/busin…

Major rivers and inland water from…

Made with Natural Earth. Free vector and raster map data, available from www.naturalearthdata.com/downl…

Other coastlines from…

GADM v3.6 © 2018 GADM, available from gadm.org/data.html

If it has one, a town in Britain will use its Scots placename. If not, it will be Scots-icised through this process…

· Placenames with the suffix ‘-ton’ changed to ‘-toun.’

· Placenames with the suffix ‘-pool’ changed to ‘-puil.’

· Placenames with the suffix ‘-ing’ changed to ‘-in.’

· Placenames with the suffix ‘-brough’ or ‘-borough’ changed to ‘-burgh.’

· Placenames with the ‘ar’ sound (i.e. Carlisle, Scarborough) changed to an ‘air’ sound.

· Placenames with the ‘ou’ sound (i.e. Plymouth, Portsmouth) changed to an ‘oo’ sound.

…going with the theme of the map of inversing the process of Anglicisation done in cartography by Scots-icising English placenames just as England-orientated maps Anglicise Scottish placenames. (All placenames in Scotland use their Scots placenames.)

@777dogs Ok, final changes have been made, I think it has met all your requests.
battlefieldla.png

On March 11th, 2011 20 meteor-like objects would crash of the cost of various nations across the planet, and while nobody knew it when they landed, what followed would see nearly every nation across the planet be forced to contend with hostile life forms in some way, shape, or form.

72 hours following the landing of the meteors, reports came in of strange humanoid beings emerging from the sea around the meteor crash sights and began constructing strange devices. The militaries of the nations that the aliens came upon maintained caution, watching and observing, that was until a civilian with a hunting rifle outside of Los Angeles would invoke the alien’s wrath. This man actions would spark what would come to be known as “The War of all Fronts” for the rapid deployment of land, air, and naval forces on both sides. These aliens were able to move faster however, and within weeks had managed to successfully capture major coastal cities across the planet, forcing human military forces back and leaving the civilian population as prisoners.

The Aliens would soon send large raiding parties throughout the planet, moving along major rivers and water ways, making major leeway’s into human territory, causing large scale damage and then falling back to major command centers. By the start of May however, it became clear that the Aliens were unprepared from a logistical standpoint, often being outnumbered and outgunned by most major human militaries, and often time having to retreat back to sources of water. It was also discovered that the alien’s technologies and weapons, while more advanced, were often run down or seemed to be prone to malfunction, suggesting that the alien force was not an invading one.

It was discovered upon the examination of an alien corpse though that the aliens in question were biomechanical in nature, their flesh, muscles, and organs having been merged to a mechanical frame. This seemed to explain to greater physical abilities of the aliens, along with explaining the humanoid body structure. It was also discovered that these creatures possessed an organ capable of naturally filtering out the salt in ocean water, converting it to fresh water, thereby explaining why the aliens didn’t seem concerned about whether the water source they controlled was fresh or not.

Eventually the alien forces would be pushed back, and their strongholds throughout the planet would all fall one by one, until on June 15th, 2013, the final alien forces surrendered at the second battle of Luzon. With their formal surrender, military forces would set about scanning the sea floor for any signs of continued alien activity, but what they found was unexpected; robotic defense turrets protecting clutches of eggs. Many of the egg clutches would be destroyed however, and it would take considerable intervention to save the remaining ones.

When these surviving eggs hatched, it was discovered that the aliens naturally had a cephalopod like body structure, and that they were naturally adept at tool use. There was not much time to study these hatchlings however, as satellites had detected more meteors of a similar size and density to the ones that the Aliens arrived in two years ago. When this news broke, it was decided among the members of the U.N. that the best course of action will be to take care and ensure that hostilities do not break out again.

My entry for the Telephone Map Game (3rd edition)
And here's the write up
I saw Wings's map, which suggests a early medieval POD, with the Frankish Empire and a Kingdom of Iberia. I also noticed that Christianity seems to be much more powerful ITTL. That got me wondering, what happened to other religions, like Judaism? I eventually decided that since there seems to be a powerful Church, which most likely controls the holy land, and which is probably not that friendly towards the Jews, that perhaps in this world's colonization of North America, there was a large amount of migration to, say, the lower Hudson valley, of Jews fleeing persecution in Europe. The colonists also interacted with surrounding native tribes, such as the Lenape and Haudenausaunee, and created a syncretic version of Judaism compatable with preexisting beliefs.
Eventually, this colony rebelled against the Christian nation that colonized it, in this case, England, and so did the Haudenausaunee, and the two formed Zionist states in North America, which, although highly reactionary, are fairly democratic. However, the Christian nations surrounding the Republics are extremely paranoid of them, and the republics are international pariahs."

777dogs

Banned
@777dogs Ok, final changes have been made, I think it has met all your requests.
View attachment 526179
On March 11th, 2011 20 meteor-like objects would crash of the cost of various nations across the planet, and while nobody knew it when they landed, what followed would see nearly every nation across the planet be forced to contend with hostile life forms in some way, shape, or form.

72 hours following the landing of the meteors, reports came in of strange humanoid beings emerging from the sea around the meteor crash sights and began constructing strange devices. The militaries of the nations that the aliens came upon maintained caution, watching and observing, that was until a civilian with a hunting rifle outside of Los Angeles would invoke the alien’s wrath. This man actions would spark what would come to be known as “The War of all Fronts” for the rapid deployment of land, air, and naval forces on both sides. These aliens were able to move faster however, and within weeks had managed to successfully capture major coastal cities across the planet, forcing human military forces back and leaving the civilian population as prisoners.

The Aliens would soon send large raiding parties throughout the planet, moving along major rivers and water ways, making major leeway’s into human territory, causing large scale damage and then falling back to major command centers. By the start of May however, it became clear that the Aliens were unprepared from a logistical standpoint, often being outnumbered and outgunned by most major human militaries, and often time having to retreat back to sources of water. It was also discovered that the alien’s technologies and weapons, while more advanced, were often run down or seemed to be prone to malfunction, suggesting that the alien force was not an invading one.

It was discovered upon the examination of an alien corpse though that the aliens in question were biomechanical in nature, their flesh, muscles, and organs having been merged to a mechanical frame. This seemed to explain to greater physical abilities of the aliens, along with explaining the humanoid body structure. It was also discovered that these creatures possessed an organ capable of naturally filtering out the salt in ocean water, converting it to fresh water, thereby explaining why the aliens didn’t seem concerned about whether the water source they controlled was fresh or not.

Eventually the alien forces would be pushed back, and their strongholds throughout the planet would all fall one by one, until on June 15th, 2013, the final alien forces surrendered at the second battle of Luzon. With their formal surrender, military forces would set about scanning the sea floor for any signs of continued alien activity, but what they found was unexpected; robotic defense turrets protecting clutches of eggs. Many of the egg clutches would be destroyed however, and it would take considerable intervention to save the remaining ones.

When these surviving eggs hatched, it was discovered that the aliens naturally had a cephalopod like body structure, and that they were naturally adept at tool use. There was not much time to study these hatchlings however, as satellites had detected more meteors of a similar size and density to the ones that the Aliens arrived in two years ago. When this news broke, it was decided among the members of the U.N. that the best course of action will be to take care and ensure that hostilities do not break out again.
Ok thank you I will not request anything else😊

Zagan

Donor
Cross-posted from my timeline The Berlin Dome.

States of Germany
With Extra Artwork (Flags, Coats of Arms, Areas, Populations, etc)

ddr8try-87e8cfa5-0c8c-4548-a2e9-e0f3d7a95c6f.png

Direct Link (full size), DeviantArt page.​

Legend:
  • Arbitrary colours for the various German States
  • Red: Personal Union under King Hubertus of Prussia (Brandenburg, Pomerania, East Prussia, Upper Silesia)
  • Dark Grey: The Autonomous States (Bohemia-Moravia, Slovenia, German Switzerland)
  • Pink Curve: Dome limit (fully opened / deactivated)
  • Black Lines: Borders
  • Grey Lines: Internal Borders
Key inside the map (in Poland).

German States (Länder)
  1. Berlin, Berlin
  2. Brandenburg, Potsdam
  3. Pomerania (Pommern), Stettin
  4. East Prussia (Ostpreußen), Königsberg
  5. Lower Silesia (Niederschlesien), Breslau
  6. Upper Silesia (Oberschlesien), Kattowitz
  7. Saxony-Anhalt (Sachsen-Anhalt), Magdeburg
  8. Lower Saxony (Niedersachsen), Hannover
  9. Schleswig-Holstein, Kiel
  10. Westphalia (Westfalen), Münster
  11. Rhineland (Rheinland), Düsseldorf
  12. West Prussia (Westpreußen), Danzig
  13. Posen, Posen
  14. Bavaria (Bayern), München
  15. Saxony (Sachsen), Dresden
  16. Württemberg, Stuttgart
  17. Baden, Karlsruhe
  18. Hesse (Hessen), Frankfurt am Main
  19. Thuringia (Thüringen), Weimar
  20. Mecklenburg, Schwerin
  21. Hamburg, Hamburg
  22. Palatinate (Pfalz), Saarbrücken
  23. Austria (Österreich), Wien
  24. Sudetenland, Reichenberg
  25. Bohemia-Moravia (Böhmen-Mähren), Prag (Praha)
  26. Alsace-Lorraine (Elsaß-Lothringen), Straßburg
  27. Luxembourg (Luxemburg), Luxemburg
  28. Slovenia (Slowenien), Laibach (Ljubljana)
  29. Adriatic Littoral (Adriatisches Küstenland), Triest
  30. German Switzerland (Schweiz), Bern
Special Districts (Sonderkreise)
  • A. Hirn, None
  • B. Hitler, Obersalzberg
  • C. Liechtenstein, Vaduz
  • D. Lebensraum Island, Lebensraum

Cross-posted from my timeline The Berlin Dome.

States of Germany
With Extra Artwork (Flags, Coats of Arms, Areas, Populations, etc)

ddr8try-87e8cfa5-0c8c-4548-a2e9-e0f3d7a95c6f.png

Direct Link (full size), DeviantArt page.​

Legend:
  • Arbitrary colours for the various German States
  • Red: Personal Union under King Hubertus of Prussia (Brandenburg, Pomerania, East Prussia, Upper Silesia)
  • Dark Grey: The Autonomous States (Bohemia-Moravia, Slovenia, German Switzerland)
  • Pink Curve: Dome limit (fully opened / deactivated)
  • Black Lines: Borders
  • Grey Lines: Internal Borders
Key inside the map (in Poland).

German States (Länder)
  1. Berlin, Berlin
  2. Brandenburg, Potsdam
  3. Pomerania (Pommern), Stettin
  4. East Prussia (Ostpreußen), Königsberg
  5. Lower Silesia (Niederschlesien), Breslau
  6. Upper Silesia (Oberschlesien), Kattowitz
  7. Saxony-Anhalt (Sachsen-Anhalt), Magdeburg
  8. Lower Saxony (Niedersachsen), Hannover
  9. Schleswig-Holstein, Kiel
  10. Westphalia (Westfalen), Münster
  11. Rhineland (Rheinland), Düsseldorf
  12. West Prussia (Westpreußen), Danzig
  13. Posen, Posen
  14. Bavaria (Bayern), München
  15. Saxony (Sachsen), Dresden
  16. Württemberg, Stuttgart
  17. Baden, Karlsruhe
  18. Hesse (Hessen), Frankfurt am Main
  19. Thuringia (Thüringen), Weimar
  20. Mecklenburg, Schwerin
  21. Hamburg, Hamburg
  22. Palatinate (Pfalz), Saarbrücken
  23. Austria (Österreich), Wien
  24. Sudetenland, Reichenberg
  25. Bohemia-Moravia (Böhmen-Mähren), Prag (Praha)
  26. Alsace-Lorraine (Elsaß-Lothringen), Straßburg
  27. Luxembourg (Luxemburg), Luxemburg
  28. Slovenia (Slowenien), Laibach (Ljubljana)
  29. Adriatic Littoral (Adriatisches Küstenland), Triest
  30. German Switzerland (Schweiz), Bern
Special Districts (Sonderkreise)
  • A. Hirn, None
  • B. Hitler, Obersalzberg
  • C. Liechtenstein, Vaduz
  • D. Lebensraum Island, Lebensraum

Awesome!! Always loved your TL, glad to see a detailled map!

ddr8v98-97eca411-fe79-4523-b7d3-16fa27555b85.png

Technically not alternate history but I'll move back onto doing that, just experiementing with styles. Been a while since I last posted a map. During this time, I've been learning QGIS and Blender to create better maps. Let me know if you have any feedback!
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

This map’s purpose is to provide a Scottish perspective of the isle of Great Britain. This is achieved through the use of Scots language, a south-east orientation, and a perspective at an angle of 35°.

Method…

1. Generating TIFF

a. Download relief data and merge into one file covering area.

b. Reproject TIFF and clip by extent.

c. Resample TIFF to a lower resolution to avoid noise when rendering.

d. Rescale TIFF to a much greater scale to avoid terracing.

i. Formula: “ReSampled TIFF” / 1250 x 65535

e. Translate TIFF to Unt16.

2. Generate High Resolution Base Image.

3. Import Base Image as the base colour of a plane and Translated TIFF into Blender with its colour corresponding to the displacement height of the plane’s material output (Midlevel 0.5 and Scale 0.1).

a. Angle camera at 35° for perspective.

4. Import rendered image into Inkscape to label.

5. Export as final image.

Shaded relief from…

Jarvis A., H.I. Reuter, A. Nelson, E. Guevara, 2008, Hole-filled seamless SRTM data V4, International Centre for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT), available from srtm.csi.cgiar.org.

British coastline, Roads and motorways from…

Ordnance Survey Strategi: Contains OS data © Crown copyright and database right 2018, available from www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/busin…

Major rivers and inland water from…

Made with Natural Earth. Free vector and raster map data, available from www.naturalearthdata.com/downl…

Other coastlines from…

GADM v3.6 © 2018 GADM, available from gadm.org/data.html

If it has one, a town in Britain will use its Scots placename. If not, it will be Scots-icised through this process…

· Placenames with the suffix ‘-ton’ changed to ‘-toun.’

· Placenames with the suffix ‘-pool’ changed to ‘-puil.’

· Placenames with the suffix ‘-ing’ changed to ‘-in.’

· Placenames with the suffix ‘-brough’ or ‘-borough’ changed to ‘-burgh.’

· Placenames with the ‘ar’ sound (i.e. Carlisle, Scarborough) changed to an ‘air’ sound.

· Placenames with the ‘ou’ sound (i.e. Plymouth, Portsmouth) changed to an ‘oo’ sound.

…going with the theme of the map of inversing the process of Anglicisation done in cartography by Scots-icising English placenames just as England-orientated maps Anglicise Scottish placenames. (All placenames in Scotland use their Scots placenames.)

God, i really love when people do perspective maps, a really beautiful one!

Also here's the map i made for the last Map Telephone game

MapTelephone1.png

"It’s a Bandal/Vandal (Romance North African) map of the alexandrine Roman Protectorate (Autoritu) of what is a continuation of the semi legendary Batembuzi (Temvuzi) kingdom, a kingdom which IRL is supposed to have existed in Uganda at the turn of the last millennium, before the Kitara Empire"

Status
Not open for further replies.