Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Aftermath of the Neuchatel War (ATL)

neuchatelcrisis.png

One of the lesser known wars of the 19. century was the Neuchatel War (or in German Neuenburgkrieg)

The Swiss canton of Neuchatel was both a Swiss canton and a principality in personal union under the King of Prussia.
In 1848 the principality successfully revolted against the King of Prussia. A royalist coup in the principality failed in September 1856, but set a crisis in motion, which lead to a Prussian military intervention.

The 1857 Neuchatel War was rather short. The Grand-Principality of Baden gave the Prussian Military the right of passage trough their territory.
The mobilization of the Swiss army wasn't fast enough to stop the Prussian Army from capturing Basel and Zürich.
International pressure from France and Austria brought the conflict parties back to the negotiation table.

Neuchatel was restored as a principality under the Prussian King, but remained largely autonomous from other Prussian Territories. Neuchatel was now clearly separated from Switzerland. The main railroad from Basel to Neuchatel was put under Prussian administration with the right to transport a limited amount of Prussian troops to Neuchatel trough Swiss territory.

The Grand Principality of Baden was rewarded by Prussia an annexed the Canton of Schaffhausen, and several small villages around Konstanz.

Over the long term, the Grand Principality of Baden became more dependent on Prussia, and therefore declared their neutrality in the Austro-Prussian war (while Württemberg and Bavaria fought against the Prussians). The long term relation between Baden and Switzerland suffered. The majority of the populations of Neuchatel and Schaffhausen desired a reunification with Switzerland, and therefore preferred local regionalist parties in their elections.

(In OTL a diplomatic solution solved the crisis, while war plans where drawn up, no war occured)

(POD 1856-1857 Neuchatel Crisis escalates into a Swiss-Prussian War; Map Format VT-BAM; Color Scheme THICC 2.2)

Last edited:
The one that runs south from Downtown Atlanta....I can't see that one always being used as a tourist line, but also a commuter line, and Atlanta may well object to the air pollution a steam locomotive invariably makes.
Good point. In that case, would a tourist line out of Macon be better? As it is, I was actually thinking I'd have the Atlanta-based operations instead run out of Duluth; OTL's location of the Southeastern Railroad Museum.

Last edited:
In the aftermath of WWI the Danube Swabians are granted OTL Vojvodina as their own independent nation. Would it be realistic to assume the southward migration of Serbs out of the region would be enough to stop and reverse the XX century albanization of Kosovo?

P.S. Just found out there's a perfectly good name for a Yugoslavia formed with neither Slovenia nor North Macedonia: Slavinia.

Last edited:
The Aftermath of the Neuchatel War (ATL)

View attachment 525269

One of the lesser known wars of the 19. century was the Neuchatel War (or in German Neuenburgkrieg)

The Swiss canton of Neuchatel was both a Swiss canton and a principality in personal union under the King of Prussia.
In 1848 the principality successfully revolted against the King of Prussia. A royalist coup in the principality failed in September 1856, but set a crisis in motion, which lead to a Prussian military intervention.

The 1857 Neuchatel War was rather short. The Grand-Principality of Baden gave the Prussian Military the right of passage trough their territory.
The mobilization of the Swiss army wasn't fast enough to stop the Prussian Army from capturing Basel and Zürich.
International pressure from France and Austria brought the conflict parties back to the negotiation table.

Neuchatel was restored as a principality under the Prussian King, but remained largely autonomous from other Prussian Territories. Neuchatel was now clearly separated from Switzerland. The main railroad from Basel to Neuchatel was put under Prussian administration with the right to transport a limited amount of Prussian troops to Neuchatel trough Swiss territory.

The Grand Principality of Baden was rewarded by Prussia an annexed the Canton of Schaffhausen, and several small villages around Konstanz.

Over the long term, the Grand Principality of Baden became more dependent on Prussia, and therefore declared their neutrality in the Austro-Prussian war (while Württemberg and Bavaria fought against the Prussians). The long term relation between Baden and Switzerland suffered. The majority of the populations of Neuchatel and Schaffhausen desired a reunification with Switzerland, and therefore preferred local regionalist parties in their elections.

(In OTL a diplomatic solution solved the crisis, while war plans where drawn up, no war occured)

(POD 1856-1857 Neuchatel Crisis escalates into a Swiss-Prussian War; Map Format VT-BAM; Color Scheme THICC 2.2)
This is fantastic!

@B_Munro Another great round of maps! I've always wanted to see a Papua-focused timeline, so I was glad to see them featured in this series.

The odd thing is that the single, incomplete North Korea scenario got more likes than the whole set of nine. Is there some sort of "wank repletion" setting in when I post a bunch of them at once? Was this a less interesting selection than the last few? Was it the Jpeg mess?

Thousand Week Reich - The French State:
Yep, I'm back... kinda. This map has been in the works for a long time, but I left it for a couple months as I was busy with many things and devoted most of my free time into the HOI4 mod (any day now). Still is the same, same story all the time, so this isn't really a sign of a big reboot of the timeline (yet), but decided I should finish this one off. Hope you enjoy!

Full thread - https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...eich-a-realistic-nazi-victory-scenario.444582
Discord for the HOI4 mod based on this scenario I'm making - https://discord.gg/yY7fa8f

france.png

I love maps that break the border like this. Just delicious.

How did the Portuguese manage to lose all their colonies?
They got on the wrong side of the Germans (aided and abetted by the British) at the exact wrong time, and the Germans then promptly got on the wrong side of the British and Americans, and the fact that the colonies were originally Portuguese was quietly ignored.

Status
Not open for further replies.