Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
- Mongols vs. Rome -
View attachment 524388
Sorry for the clickbait name :) there are no Mongols.

...until finally, in 312 A.D. Spurius Martinus did not announce the transformation of the Roman Republic into the Roman Empire, and proclaimed himself the first Roman Emperor. This, coupled with the adoption of Christianity [1] as a state religion 20 years ago, allowed Rome to enter its golden imperial era. For several decades, northern Gaul was finally conquered, the rebels in Syria and Africa were calmed down, and Egypt was finally annexed. The Mediterranean Sea has become the inland sea of Rome, the greatest empire on Earth.
From the Sunset of the Republic by Paul Enx, Hispanic Federation, 2002.

...the birth of the future World's Terror was marked by a thunderstorm, which lasted 8 days. Young Mulkhal-Khan was the eldest son of the leader of the Merkit Empire's vassal tribe; from the childhood father was preparing him to avenge the humiliation that the Merkits forced his people to experience. After taking power, Mulkhal-Khan fulfilled his destiny and destroyed the Empire, and became the ruler of its vast expanses instead. The Great Khan and his successors did not stop and expanded the empire even further, conquering Central Asia, northern China and the mysterious India, the mighty Persian empire and even the legendary Rome. Unfortunately, the squabbles between his many great-grandchildren tore his giant empire into small pieces...
From a treatise of Kong Jin-Sang on the brief history of the Tahar Empire [2], Koguryo, 1680.

What you offer is impossible. The Roman Empire in 1199 couldn't stop the Tahar invasion, because in fact it controlled only a small area in Italy. Despite the fact that historians still rank various foederaties, warlords, and Germans as part of the empire, in truth, none of them was subordinated to Rome; they acted as an independent state, recognizing only the nominal Emperor's power. To save Rome from the Tahars, you need to find an earlier point of divergence. Probably the Herculius dynasty stays in power? Or Hermina doesn't die and stops the fragmentation of the empire? You need more researching.
Emperor-of-Hesperides's answer in the "Can Rome defeat the Tahars at the Battle of Marcianopolis?" topic, web.parallelworlds, 2201.

Today, on June 14, 1380 AD, a young khan Bartu, after a week-long siege, captured Rome and proclaimed himself Emperor-khan of the revived Roman Empire. Indeed, a very interesting event in the history of both Europe and the entire world. Bartu, who ruled his ulus in Pannonia, was so imbued with the Roman culture; he even had a whole army of Roman historians and translators at court who translated him stories about the great Roman commanders and their victories. Khan himself even liked to walk around his palace in robes similar to imperial ones. It's not surprising that, having matured, Bartu sent his troops to Rome in order to recreate his beloved empire, which at that moment lay in ruins. Thus was born the Second Roman Empire, or as its enemies called it, the Roman Khanate.
Actually, it’s quite interesting how history does not allow the Eternal City to die, constantly saving it from certain death. Thanks to this, the Roman legacy is alive to this day.

From the radio-show Endless History with Bede Libo, New Rome, Mediterranean Union, 2080.

...despite the fact that this film is a classic and loved by many, someone has to say that it's absolutely unrealistic. The actor Faust Clod played a Roman slave, who leads the slaves' rebellion against the powerful Songhai Empire. Nevertheless, I must say that there have never been and never could be such incidents in history. Modern historical research suggests that the slaveholding colonial empires of Africa took slaves from all over Africa, including the post-Roman states of northern Africa, but the Romans were too smart to send them to hard work on plantations or in mines, as it showed in film. Africans made the Romans their teachers or servants of the house, and often even placed them as overseers for other slaves on plantations...
From a review on the film The King of Slaves from the "BoredComedian", 2198.

The Golden Fleet sailed from Roman Hispania in 1520 in search of Roman colonies in the far west. The then Emperor-khan decided to return all the lands of the former Roman Empire and, together with the failed invasions in northern Africa and Anatolia, ordered the construction of a fleet to cross the ocean. The history of the Golden Fleet is very sorrowful. Most of the ships were destroyed and scattered in terrible storms, the crews, consisting mainly of Tahars and Hispanic Germans, were ready to raise a riot at any time. Finally, having arrived at the shores of Augustia [3], they found only destroyed and empty ports. Rising north, they found the Roman villages, completely mixed with the indigenous Hesperidians and vaguely remembering the existence of their homeland. The Tahar army conquered these villages, but did not dare (and could not) to return with such news. Thus the Usul of the Golden Fleet was founded, which greatly affected the history of northern Hesperides.
From The Complete History of Northern Hesperides, author unknown, 1967.

...the world of TL-34 or Gracchus-2 is also notable for an event called the Second Great Migration or the how locals call it the "Finnish Ripple". It was provoked by the fast-growing brutal Red Sky Empire, which originates from the "five civilized tribes" defending the western borders of the Kogurye China. One of the khans armed his army with Korean gunpowder to the eyeballs, got out of the control and set off to the west to build his own empire. Needless to say, this world has a huge shortage of gunpowder, so the nomadic army armed with guns has become a death machine. On the other side of Siberia, the Finno-Ugric peoples located on the trade routes between the local alternate Novgorod, called Ozersk, and the wealthy states of Central Asia experienced a kind of national upsurge. When the Red Sky Empire came to their lands, the Finno-Ugrians did not fight, but followed the advice of a local prophet, or a wise ruler (sources diverge), and moved in huge numbers in all directions in search of the promised better life. These waves had disastrous consequences, forever changing the situation in the regions they came...
The report of the CP-69 "Multiversal irony" research group about the TL-34 world.

[1] Despite the fact that the POD is before Christ, Jesus was still born (he is the son of God after all). Although, the then version of Christianity is as similar to OTL Christianity as Islam is to Catholicism.
[2] Mulkhal-Khan was a representative of the original Tatar tribe that was massacred by Genghis Khan in OTL, but due to historical confusion about the name of the Tatars, I decided to give them a slightly different name.
[3] OTL Florida.

my DeviantArt

I'd be interested in seeing the results of the "Finnish Ripple", is there any possibility of a sequel?

I hate to be following up such a good map from @Kaiser1871 with a WIP like this... but I want some input before I keep going.
Europe-North America snapshot.png

Again, it's not a full shot, just the areas I've worked out. I talked about Europe in my last post, so I'll focus on Africa and Europe here (which is mostly what I've been working on). In North America, we have the powerful Empire of Tenochtitlan (so named because the OTL Aztecs collapsed, converted to Christianity, and were restored by a group of wannabe-American-Rome warrior priest types). They are joined by some Spanish and German colonies, as well as an independent American republic (gained independence from Spain, however, it has a diverse population because constituent territories were once French, English, Spanish, and Danish). There is also a tribal confederacy headed by the Apache that has been forced to the mountains and deserts in the West, where they maintain an extremely militaristic society that is somewhat reminiscent of the Mongols, and the Kingdom of the Creek around OTL Indiana (?), where dozens of Native American tribes coalesced centuries ago and adopted the government and culture of the European invaders in the hopes of gaining legitimacy- it succeeded, though thanks in no small part to their continued armed resistance. Further north is the former Danish colony of Vinland (cliche, I know...) which has been granted independence as the Danes focus more on controlling the Swedes and Finns closer to home, wary of the Polish empire to the east. South America is essentially just a load of European colonies, but diminished Spanish colonization along the West coast has given rise to a prominent Inca-resurrectionist/independence movement that will likely throw off the shackles of European imperialism within the decade. In Africa/the Near East, Ottoman power was broken by the Timurid Empire. The Timurids did not fall to the infighting and instability that came about OTL, however, a clear heir to Timur the Great was recognized by even the most ambitious of the empire's leaders, and they expanded their empire into Arabia, Persia, and Egypt (during their conquests, the slavs of Europe rose up and defeated the Ottoman garrisons left behind there). European traders and armies moved in on North Africa, and the entire region is now split between islam and christianity. Egypt eventually forced the Timurids to withdraw, as the Timurid empire pursued a campaign into India (they conquered about half of India, also pushing north towards Mongolia. In Africa, the Songhai, Kongo, Ethiopians, and Zulu/Xhosa were all able to establishing stable states and empires- European imperialist fervor had been tempered somewhat by their failures in North America, and they had also failed to develop serious racists tendencies because of the strength of the Songhai empire (and thus relative lack of a slave trade, as the African states on the West coast were largely conquered by the Songhai, who had little tolerance for slavery). Europeans did end up colonizing parts of Africa, however, this was at some great effort on their part to conquer local tribes and also to oppose the African empires that at times stood in their way.

Only edit that I can really think of right now is I really need to make Hungary an independent state, though I'm still not 100% sure about whether or not it's necessary. With the population hit the Magyars took after the Ottoman invasions, and plague, it is feasible that increased German unity could have resulted in their eventual assimilation into the German state (as a culture).

Looking for additional input, especially just if someone catches something that's particularly implausible or just doesn't make sense.

- Mongols vs. Rome -
View attachment 524388
Sorry for the clickbait name :) there are no Mongols.

...until finally, in 312 A.D. Spurius Martinus did not announce the transformation of the Roman Republic into the Roman Empire, and proclaimed himself the first Roman Emperor. This, coupled with the adoption of Christianity [1] as a state religion 20 years ago, allowed Rome to enter its golden imperial era. For several decades, northern Gaul was finally conquered, the rebels in Syria and Africa were calmed down, and Egypt was finally annexed. The Mediterranean Sea has become the inland sea of Rome, the greatest empire on Earth.
From the Sunset of the Republic by Paul Enx, Hispanic Federation, 2002.

...the birth of the future World's Terror was marked by a thunderstorm, which lasted 8 days. Young Mulkhal-Khan was the eldest son of the leader of the Merkit Empire's vassal tribe; from the childhood father was preparing him to avenge the humiliation that the Merkits forced his people to experience. After taking power, Mulkhal-Khan fulfilled his destiny and destroyed the Empire, and became the ruler of its vast expanses instead. The Great Khan and his successors did not stop and expanded the empire even further, conquering Central Asia, northern China and the mysterious India, the mighty Persian empire and even the legendary Rome. Unfortunately, the squabbles between his many great-grandchildren tore his giant empire into small pieces...
From a treatise of Kong Jin-Sang on the brief history of the Tahar Empire [2], Koguryo, 1680.

What you offer is impossible. The Roman Empire in 1199 couldn't stop the Tahar invasion, because in fact it controlled only a small area in Italy. Despite the fact that historians still rank various foederaties, warlords, and Germans as part of the empire, in truth, none of them was subordinated to Rome; they acted as an independent state, recognizing only the nominal Emperor's power. To save Rome from the Tahars, you need to find an earlier point of divergence. Probably the Herculius dynasty stays in power? Or Hermina doesn't die and stops the fragmentation of the empire? You need more researching.
Emperor-of-Hesperides's answer in the "Can Rome defeat the Tahars at the Battle of Marcianopolis?" topic, web.parallelworlds, 2201.

Today, on June 14, 1380 AD, a young khan Bartu, after a week-long siege, captured Rome and proclaimed himself Emperor-khan of the revived Roman Empire. Indeed, a very interesting event in the history of both Europe and the entire world. Bartu, who ruled his ulus in Pannonia, was so imbued with the Roman culture; he even had a whole army of Roman historians and translators at court who translated him stories about the great Roman commanders and their victories. Khan himself even liked to walk around his palace in robes similar to imperial ones. It's not surprising that, having matured, Bartu sent his troops to Rome in order to recreate his beloved empire, which at that moment lay in ruins. Thus was born the Second Roman Empire, or as its enemies called it, the Roman Khanate.
Actually, it’s quite interesting how history does not allow the Eternal City to die, constantly saving it from certain death. Thanks to this, the Roman legacy is alive to this day.

From the radio-show Endless History with Bede Libo, New Rome, Mediterranean Union, 2080.

...despite the fact that this film is a classic and loved by many, someone has to say that it's absolutely unrealistic. The actor Faust Clod played a Roman slave, who leads the slaves' rebellion against the powerful Songhai Empire. Nevertheless, I must say that there have never been and never could be such incidents in history. Modern historical research suggests that the slaveholding colonial empires of Africa took slaves from all over Africa, including the post-Roman states of northern Africa, but the Romans were too smart to send them to hard work on plantations or in mines, as it showed in film. Africans made the Romans their teachers or servants of the house, and often even placed them as overseers for other slaves on plantations...
From a review on the film The King of Slaves from the "BoredComedian", 2198.

The Golden Fleet sailed from Roman Hispania in 1520 in search of Roman colonies in the far west. The then Emperor-khan decided to return all the lands of the former Roman Empire and, together with the failed invasions in northern Africa and Anatolia, ordered the construction of a fleet to cross the ocean. The history of the Golden Fleet is very sorrowful. Most of the ships were destroyed and scattered in terrible storms, the crews, consisting mainly of Tahars and Hispanic Germans, were ready to raise a riot at any time. Finally, having arrived at the shores of Augustia [3], they found only destroyed and empty ports. Rising north, they found the Roman villages, completely mixed with the indigenous Hesperidians and vaguely remembering the existence of their homeland. The Tahar army conquered these villages, but did not dare (and could not) to return with such news. Thus the Usul of the Golden Fleet was founded, which greatly affected the history of northern Hesperides.
From The Complete History of Northern Hesperides, author unknown, 1967.

...the world of TL-34 or Gracchus-2 is also notable for an event called the Second Great Migration or the how locals call it the "Finnish Ripple". It was provoked by the fast-growing brutal Red Sky Empire, which originates from the "five civilized tribes" defending the western borders of the Kogurye China. One of the khans armed his army with Korean gunpowder to the eyeballs, got out of the control and set off to the west to build his own empire. Needless to say, this world has a huge shortage of gunpowder, so the nomadic army armed with guns has become a death machine. On the other side of Siberia, the Finno-Ugric peoples located on the trade routes between the local alternate Novgorod, called Ozersk, and the wealthy states of Central Asia experienced a kind of national upsurge. When the Red Sky Empire came to their lands, the Finno-Ugrians did not fight, but followed the advice of a local prophet, or a wise ruler (sources diverge), and moved in huge numbers in all directions in search of the promised better life. These waves had disastrous consequences, forever changing the situation in the regions they came...
The report of the CP-69 "Multiversal irony" research group about the TL-34 world.

[1] Despite the fact that the POD is before Christ, Jesus was still born (he is the son of God after all). Although, the then version of Christianity is as similar to OTL Christianity as Islam is to Catholicism.
[2] Mulkhal-Khan was a representative of the original Tatar tribe that was massacred by Genghis Khan in OTL, but due to historical confusion about the name of the Tatars, I decided to give them a slightly different name.
[3] OTL Florida.

my DeviantArt
I would love a sequel map of the world in 2020 and the world in 2201. Specifically, 2201 because I love to see how different the world futere would be from our timeline future.

I know GIMP has "shrink selection," which can be used to make outlines. Let me see how quickly I can convert the worlda from here: https://hadaril.github.io/nextgen/2017.png

Start Time is 3:26:00

EDIT:
End time 4:21:30, just under 1 hour. Most of that was cleaning up provincial borders, which unfortunately still have to be done manually.
EDIT 2:
Disregard that, just noticed I messed up Argentina. Counting that, end time is 4:28:40, just over 1 hour.

View attachment 510149

My general process was Select > by color > (select national borders and coastlines) > paintbucket tool for the big stuff, then Select > by color > (select provincial border pixels) > pencil tool with whatever size fits best for the provincial borders and autonomous areas. The lakes were mostly manual.

Don't mind me, just gonna nab this for my "whole earth under alien occupation" joke map maybe?

Seriously though, nice "whole world puppet" map.

1582081136795.png
1582081478797.png

The Maximum Extent of the German Commune circa July 21st, 1951 before direct American intervention.

The German Commune was a radical anti-Semite, Stalinist like nation involving radical authoritarianism, partially against the french after the previous nation's multiple humiliating defeats against the french empire, then republic, then commune. The plans Jackson & Victoria, respectively against Peasant's Republic & The English Commune have reached their effective extents across the globe. By the end of the war, the extermination camps against the "unnecessary" were found, which would be called "The Great Suffering." Ironically, the German Commune can easily be compared to the Nazi party in OTL, despite its calls for equality.​

View attachment 524477View attachment 524479

The Maximum Extent of the German Commune circa July 21st, 1951 before direct American intervention.

The German Commune was a radical anti-Semite, Stalinist like nation involving radical authoritarianism, partially against the french after the previous nation's multiple humiliating defeats against the french empire, then republic, then commune. The plans Jackson & Victoria, respectively against Peasant's Republic & The English Commune have reached their effective extents across the globe. By the end of the war, the extermination camps against the "unnecessary" were found, which would be called "The Great Suffering." Ironically, the German Commune can easily be compared to the Nazi party in OTL, despite its calls for equality.​
Now that's some good inspiration!

Well, the message "socialist dictatorship = Nazism", inadvertent or not, is a pretty stale old chestnut, but "expansionist communist Germany" is certainly more of a rara avis.
Its more like a anti-semite francophone expansionist commune, as is why i compared it to Nazism

The Roman World in the Year 1204
Komnenos Early 1200's (1).png

Key:
I. The Roman Empire in Exile (Trebizond)
II. The Empire of Nicaea
III. The Seljuk Sultunate of Rum
IV. The Latin Empire/Imperium Romanae (Frankokratia as the actual Romans call it)
a) The Kingdom of Thessalonika (Latin Empire)
b.) The Duchy of Athens (Latin Empire)
c.) The Principality of Achaea (Latin Empire)
V. The Second Bulgarian Empire
VI. The Despotate of Epirus
VII. The Armenian Kingdom of Cilicia
VIII. Kingdom of Cyprus
IX. The Norman Kingdom of Sicily
X. The Serine Republic of Venice​

This is basically a map for my timeline about a Komnenian led restoration of the Eastern Roman Empire after Fourth Crusade saw the Sack of Constantinople in 1204. As you can see here the Empire of Trebizond is a bit bigger than it was in otl with the Komenoi pushing into Heracleia. The main pod I'm using is that the momentum of the Komnenoi isn't interrupted with Alexios I of Trebizond not being captured by the Turks, and forced to pay a huge ransom and return captured territory. I also created a key using Roman Numerals because I couldn't fit in the actual text description. Let me know what you guys think

Crossposting again from "The End of History: The World After Syndicalism":

The Western Montana Insurgency

WWSJLbm.png

Although the States which would ultimately form the Grangeland Constituent Syndicalist Republic had a marked history of pre-Civil War radicalism (and, indeed, the recognition of the Combined Syndicates of America as the legitimate government in the opening days of the Civil War by the governors of Minnesota, North Dakota and Nebraska had almost singlehandedly prevented mass starvation in the Great Lakes region), they had never been wholehearted supporters of the centralised Technocratic Syndicalism which ultimately became the CSA’s ruling ideology. Grangeland, particularly its less-policed Western regions, became a haven (at least during the earlier, freer, days of the CSA) for a loose assortment of Utopian communes, millenarian religious evangelicals, anarcho-primitivists and lone dissidents seeking to establish homesteads in the wilderness, united by little more than a vague dislike of the Chicago Congress. In later years, the population of Western Montana was augmented by its use by central government as an internal dumping-spot for political undesirables and “antisocial” petty criminals.

This vague dislike for central government began to harden into outright rebellion during the early Eighties, fuelled by widespread economic malaise and increasing government overreach, in the process taking on a nastier edge. The nascent Western Montana independence movement jumped from graffiti to murder in April 1989, with the shooting of two People’s Militia officers in Kalispell – within a year, car-bombings of regime officials and summary executions of small town police officers and commissars who attempted to enforce government authority were commonplace, particularly in the north-west of Montana.

The CSA responded by establishing the Special Anti-Terror Police Operation (“SATPO”) Force under the control of General Wesley Clark: consisting of two air attack groups of crack troops and outside the normal military command structure, SATPO quickly became feared for the brutality of its “rapid response” operations (most notoriously, the Fishhook Massacre, where an estimated three hundred civilians were killed by a combination of airdropped ground troops and gunships in retaliation for the town’s known harbouring of guerrillas). While these operations were able to restore government control over much of north-west Montana for a brief period, their effectiveness was blunted by the Commonwealth of Canada’s decision to supply the guerrillas with shoulder-mounted anti-air missile launchers, as well as by mounting official discomfort with the high civilian death toll in Montana.

Wesley Clark was assassinated on 23 February 1994: by that time, the guerrillas (now reorganised into the “Northwest Front” and fighting for the independence of the Republic of Northwest Montana) had attained de facto control over much of Western Montana, with SATPO forces being effectively confined to their bases. The first phase of the Western Montana Insurgency drew to a close in November 1994, when President Traficant formally dissolved SATPO and the Grangeland Republic (by now under Governor Max Baucus) declared an amnesty for Northwest Front guerrillas. Much of the moderate wing of the Northwest Front took this as a signal to lay down their arms: however, a hard core of religious extremists and white separatists decided to continue the struggle on behalf of the Republic of Northwest Montana.

The Grangeland Republic was forced to spend the first years of its existence fighting not only against the Northwest Front but against a loose confederation of SATPO remnants and Syndicalist loyalist militias. By 1998, when a Northwest Front missile launcher inadvertently shot down a civilian BOAC airliner en route from Calgary to Portland, Western Montana had become a symbol for the parlous condition of the Federation of American States

Where is Hongse Fusang on the map?
In eastern Australia.

Gives me strong Munro vibes.
Yeah:cool: his style is perfect for such worlds.

I hate to be following up such a good map from @Kaiser1871 with a WIP like this...
Don’t be like this, your map is pretty cool!

I'd be interested in seeing the results of the "Finnish Ripple", is there any possibility of a sequel?
I would love a sequel map of the world in 2020 and the world in 2201.
Oh, I was not going to make a sequel to this map at all, but your interest greatly inspired me. I will need to come up with 500 years of a completely different history. I'll do it as soon as I have time.

Been a while since I posted maps here and the first thing I do is to post a redo of my "Iron Storm" scenario, which is a Red Alert timeline with Pseudo-Nazis and no time travel involved (And it is also part of the bigger Tiberium Timeline). Though, this is just a teaser of what's to come. (Note: No celebrities, real-life figures, or models depicted here are harmed during the making of this map)

HPSrxYH.png

Aurantiacis

Gone Fishin'
doWs1C6.png

A map of the US from the ISOT game Tossed Through Alternate History, filled to the brim with fantasmagoria, conflicting timelines, pantheons and arcana, and maybe more than one identity crisis.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.