Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to see that TL expand

Thanks! I do plan to update later with this timeline in later years of history. I was not thinking about diving into the details of it however even if I had some ideas about the British Religion (which is intended to be similar to Japanese Shinto) and some historical events. Oh and also planned to add a Confucianism/Taoism (yeah I know they are different) style philosophical religion/belief system in the European Empire. Another plan for the far future of the timeline is to have one of the sides in Cold War equivalent to be "Meritocratic" sort of Confucian Bureaucracy/Technocracy thing. Will probably use Plato's Republic as an inspiration for the European Imperial philosophical belief system.

Yo what up, me again. Finished the map so posting it. Feel free to ask questions, comment, give criticism, etc. Ideas for the future of this timeline includes a longish Korean-Japanese War, A Turkic and a Tibetan dynasty ruling China at different points, a South China ruled by Vietnamese, Christianization of Indonesia and West Africa, colonization in the Americas, rise of the Inca, different dynasties taking over European Empire, Scandinavia becoming independent or liberated by the Norse, Unification of Russia, European Empire collapsing into several claimants before reuniting and the Christian Empire falling apart, along with some more branches of Christianity.
View attachment 516418

What is the nature of the Britannian Faith? I am assuming that it is not simply a form of Germanic paganism, as it is not included under that category.

Deleted member 94708

Pod: An Ice Age began between the 18th and 19th centuries and wiped out the societies we know.

Letter from a Madrian monk to the court of the King of the Iberic Empire after his numerous trips around the Mediterane:

We are 1000 years after the arrival of the Great Cold and our old continent continues to agonize under the eternal snow and ice as the winters pass.
The world has suffered the wrath of God for having strayed from the path to follow. The mighty empires in the north of the Mediterane continent, Erope, have suffered the coming of glaciers destroying crops down to the ground, castles, towns and villages. These ancient empires fought for survival with powerful armies wiping out what little remained of the continent. Entire peoples fled south to protect themselves from the cold towards the Mediterane, causing with them the disappearance of all the known peoples of the time. The numerous wars that followed created new coherent groups of people dominating the last viable lands of the region.

In the West, the Madrian Empire dominated the lands of the Iberic Peninsula and the western Mediterane as far as Italy. Its capital, Madres, already existed before the Great Cold. The kings who reigned there were already coming from the North welcoming their brothers from the north of the Pyrenees. It is difficult to know the ethnicity of the inhabitants and their origin in such a vast and varied empire. But faith in the Roman papacy (despite certain heresies such as "Saint Pasteur", a demigod doctor who can cure any disease with needles of the ancient world) and its King made Madres the first power. With her powerful flying machines she travels the Afrikane continent and brings back many riches from her trade. Many explorers set off in the snows of the north to find the ancient cities of the time and their wealth.

In the centre of the continent appeared the Empire of Mittelerope. This Empire was born from the many peoples who descended along the continent. Over the centuries they formed a powerful federation and threatened the interests of the Madrians. Some of these emperors are trying to regain the legitimacy of an ancient so-called Germanic empire that ruled in the far north. Their faith, although claiming to be Christian, is not homogenous and has many deviant sects that do not recognise the authority of the Pope and his dogmas. However they have aims on the whole of the Italian region as well as the holy eternal city: Rom.

The last of these empires is in the East. It bears the name of an ancient eternal city: Konstantinopole. The people of this empire are unique and come from the far north and have crossed the black ocean to chase heretics from their holy city. Although their faith resembles ours, they do not seem to accept the primacy of the Holy Pope. Their faith is led by many patriarchs gathering in Konstantinopole. Konstantinopole is a powerful city with numerous walls and fortresses. It is said that before the great cold it was by the sea. Their faith seems to be gaining more and more success in the East by repenting in distant empires. We owe it to ourselves to maintain good relations with them so that our pilgrims may still have access to the Tomb of Christ.

We must also keep an eye on Afrikane, which is more and more in our orbit despite its recurrent instability. We need to keep our vassals of northern Afrik as well as our outposts near the great Niger River.
However, we must prepare ourselves. The health of the Rom is seriously ill and the heretics of the north are preparing to descend upon us.

View attachment 516417

Map of the Mediterane continent located in the Madres Palace. This map still bears the mention of the continent "Erope".

I hope you'll like this universe and the accompanying map (I still have trouble with pixel art in decorum) If you wonder what the distorted names mean, don't hesitate (they're distorted with French phonetics). If enough people are interested I could do the rest of the world in other maps like this. :)

Can we expect a North American map at some point? It would be interesting to see what’s become of the early settlers; by 1750 there were some 3 million in what would become the United States alone...

Can we expect a North American map at some point? It would be interesting to see what’s become of the early settlers; by 1750 there were some 3 million in what would become the United States alone...
I started to imagine North America, but I still need to learn more about the America of the time and its potential for change, not to mention the emergence of a whole new climate.
I started numbering publications. The next one will probably be on Sahelian Africa. With the migrations coming from Europe this last one is likely to change a lo
Edit: Also what I may not have specified enough, this climatic cooling was progressive between 1700 and 1800, becoming more pronounced after this date. Even if for individuals a thousand years later the nuance is irrelevant, it will explain some things in my future maps.
So would the farmland emerging from the oceans be usable for human activities (I think the salt in the ocean must be a problem for agriculture)? If not, after how long are they usable?
Also someone would have the biomes of this map?
1579112717648.png

Last edited:
What is the nature of the Britannian Faith? I am assuming that it is not simply a form of Germanic paganism, as it is not included under that category.

It is supposed to be a syncretic religious combination of Celtic and Greco-Roman faiths with Britain mostly remaining free from the Germanic Migrations. However Germanic Paganism would definitely influence it with trade, raids and even some smaller invasions. I was thinking that their primary god is Apollo of Greco-Roman paganism as the god of the Sun, Poetry, Music, Divination and Medicine. The Emperor is also seen as divine and directly descending from Apollo. The Celtic/Irish goddess of War/Battles Morrigan would also have an important role in the pantheon as Goddess of War, Death, Magic and the Night. Druids and nature would also have a big part in the faith. A combination of Zeus/Jupiter and Thor would be a sky-storm god (might also absorb Vulcan's domains of Blacksmithing and Volcanoes because of the hammers) who has several stories about messing things up with either Thor's battlelust or Zeus's regular lust. There would be some Hammer wielding Demigod heroes in British mythology I imagine. A Loki/Hermes combination of a trickster god of beggars, thieves and travelers as messenger god would probably also exist. I have not studied Celtic mythology much so can't give much more examples but Celtic gods (with some Roman and Germanic influences) would make up the majority of the pantheon.

Deleted member 94708

I started to imagine North America, but I still need to learn more about the America of the time and its potential for change, not to mention the emergence of a whole new climate.
I started numbering publications. The next one will probably be on Sahelian Africa. With the migrations coming from Europe this last one is likely to change a lo
Edit: Also what I may not have specified enough, this climatic cooling was progressive between 1700 and 1800, becoming more pronounced after this date. Even if for individuals a thousand years later the nuance is irrelevant, it will explain some things in my future maps.
So would the farmland emerging from the oceans be usable for human activities (I think the salt in the ocean must be a problem for agriculture)? If not, after how long are they usable?
Also someone would have the biomes of this map?
View attachment 516467

There are salt-tolerant varieties of rice bred specifically to grow in reclaimed paddies, among other things. 19th century Europe would likely not have had them but rice was common enough that they could have been bred independently over a century or two.

Other crops also can be bred in a similar manner, though most dry-land crops are more sensitive.

There was a long history of using reclaimed land for agriculture in pre-modern and early modern Britain, Holland, and Ireland; I think that crops were commonly sown within a few years of reclamation.

Recently I saw a thread about a Protestant Habsburg Dynasty and my mind took a vacation off exam preparations to go wild and mass butterfly until... well, this map.
Prot Habsburgs Partition of Africa.png

Yo what up, me again. Finished the map so posting it. Feel free to ask questions, comment, give criticism, etc. Ideas for the future of this timeline includes a longish Korean-Japanese War, A Turkic and a Tibetan dynasty ruling China at different points, a South China ruled by Vietnamese, Christianization of Indonesia and West Africa, colonization in the Americas, rise of the Inca, different dynasties taking over European Empire, Scandinavia becoming independent or liberated by the Norse, Unification of Russia, European Empire collapsing into several claimants before reuniting and the Christian Empire falling apart, along with some more branches of Christianity.
View attachment 516418
I do have some comments/criticisms: why does Hellenic Paganism still exist in the Roman Republic? Surely the Christendom would have conquered it at some point. However, what also doesn't make sense is the Roman civil war between imperial forces in Egypt and Republican forces in Greece and how the former was able to co-opt Jesus. Rome only took Egypt AFTER Augustus Caesar came to power (the same with the annexation of Judea), which would have been butterflied away due to the Roman Republic collapsing. I also think a better PoD would be Rome not taking Gaul from this Kingdom. If Rome still has Gaul, it is more likely than not that this new Celtic Kingdom would become a client state, and eventual province, of the Roman Republic/Empire.
Or how do the Germanic tribes manage to take over the Gaulic Kingdom? They only expanded into Western Europe due to the Romans allowing them in, something that the Celtic Kingdom would most likely not do. Or the Norse Kingdom, for that matter? If you want it to exist, why is it in the farther north Lapland instead of Finland?

I do have some comments/criticisms: why does Hellenic Paganism still exist in the Roman Republic? Surely the Christendom would have conquered it at some point. However, what also doesn't make sense is the Roman civil war between imperial forces in Egypt and Republican forces in Greece and how the former was able to co-opt Jesus. Rome only took Egypt AFTER Augustus Caesar came to power (the same with the annexation of Judea), which would have been butterflied away due to the Roman Republic collapsing. I also think a better PoD would be Rome not taking Gaul from this Kingdom. If Rome still has Gaul, it is more likely than not that this new Celtic Kingdom would become a client state, and eventual province, of the Roman Republic/Empire.
Or how do the Germanic tribes manage to take over the Gaulic Kingdom? They only expanded into Western Europe due to the Romans allowing them in, something that the Celtic Kingdom would most likely not do. Or the Norse Kingdom, for that matter? If you want it to exist, why is it in the farther north Lapland instead of Finland?

Honestly the only question I can actually give a real answer/explanation for is the Norse and even that is mostly implausible.

1. I mean early Caliphates didn't conquer Anatolia until the Turks came but you do have a point there since many more years have passed.
2. Caesar still existed and conquered much of Gaul (and yes that Gaulic Kingdom did become a Roman client) The Gaulic Kingdom's center was in Switzerland and it mostly expanded to southern Germany and Elsace, leaving much of Gaul for Caesar to conquer. Rome did take over Egypt later and then collapsed. Thought to be fair I thought I had more time till the AD times when starting from Caesar and didn't fix that after realising there really wasn't that much time since I had already pretty much done the map. The idea of the Gaulic Kingdom came to me after I decided I wanted a China style long lived cycle of dynasties style empire and then ever that most such things I saw was Mediterranean centered Roman Empires and I wanted something different.
3. Being distracted mostly and time. Distracted by Wars against Roman Republic and Wars over the Western Mediterranean (first from Roman remnants, then losing to Christians and then bunch of back and forth wars with some Roman invasions of Italy as well). The time thing is that they fought long against Germanic tribes but eventually lost like Mongols conquering China in a way.
4. About the Norse they were originally centered in Sweden and Norway. But eventually lost those to the Empire. Their center in the time period shown on the map is actually Iceland. Lapland being a later conquest/colony by them. They would eventually take Norway and atleast parts of Sweden from the Empire.

I am not sure if I managed to explain myself here but generally I agree that your criticism is valid and that this was mostly ASB for enjoyments sake.

Pod: An Ice Age began between the 18th and 19th centuries and wiped out the societies we know.
View attachment 516417
I hope you'll like this universe and the accompanying map (I still have trouble with pixel art in decorum) If you wonder what the distorted names mean, don't hesitate (they're distorted with French phonetics). If enough people are interested I could do the rest of the world in other maps like this. :)

Now, I'm normally not a big fan of pixel maps and worldas, but this is just too beautiful. Amazing work on the illuminated frame!

Russian Colonization of the Americas - (1673)

GD1pKkI.png

Description
Ivan’s Dream (1591-1631)

Russia stands tall as Ivan V took the throne in 1591 after his father’s death. The fringes of its western flanks been secured as the Commonwealth was driven back from Russia and an alliance with the Ottomans has solidified their presence in Europe as the valiant powers in their realm. But while the Turks sail across the Indian Ocean and determine to shatter the hegemony of the Habsburgs, Ivan took his kingdom into the world of the unknown, an alien land beyond the Siberias.

Determine to seize it for his empire before his European rivals could, he invested greatly in sending expeditions and settlers into the fold. More lenient compared to his father, he offered the Sibir tribes and khanates a greater sense of autonomy in exchange for recognizing his suzerainty over their lands and offering military service. In 1629, a year before his passing, one of his retinues; accompanied by their Turkic auxiliary, recounts his journey into the edge of the world. He encountered distance tribes living on the edge of the faraway peninsula, awed by the fact that it’s not a mere island. The man requested a large resource enough to sustain themselves during the exploration and while Ivan’s inner circle tried to discourage the idea, he eventually agrees and provided him with enough men and coffers to organize the expedition.

The expedition found discovered tribes they’ve never encountered and exotic wildlife beyond their wildest thoughts. Some thought that it might the mythical land that the Europeans colonized. They were ready to send the accounts to the Tsar, but it was too late for them to realize that Ivan V passed away, eventually succeeded by his son.
To the land of the Unknown (1631-1651)

Ivan V’s son, Feodor I, continued his father’s policy on the subject of colonization. Uninterested with local politics of Europe and set his eyes on the riches of the Far East, he constructed a series of ports around the coast and an elaborate road system, eventually forming a fleet large enough to sustain and protect their settlers.

The Russians begin to settle on land the local tribes called Alyaska, building settlements and forts around the coast for further plans for exploration. Feodor, with diplomacy and coercion, convinced the native tribes to supply them with an ample supply of fur in exchange for service and autonomy. Despite their cold demeanor, the Russians usually left them to their affairs and usually return to collect their tribute. This piqued the interest of their Chinese neighbors. The Ming Dynasty and the Jurchens, after hearing reports of an exotic land, offered the Russians support in exchange for their own trading post around the new lands and an embassy to keep in touch over the endeavor.

The Tsar agreed to the proposal, albeit with some concerns flying over his head. But despite this, he needs a warm port for his fleet to settle and a populated center to support his colonization efforts. His explorers eventually discovered another region, a land with the warm sea for them to settle extensively. The land is eventually named Chavychia, a named after the tribes that settled around the area
New Neighbors (1651-1673)

Feodor I eventually dies after the recent discovery of Chavychia and succeeded by her daughter, Helena I. Despite her disinterested over the Far East and seemed to be more cordial the Europeans compared to her predecessors, she continued the colonization in hopes of establishing a greater presence in Asia to solidify her empire’s prestige and might.

With the help of their Chinese neighbors, they were able to settle the newly-discovered regions with many worries. The lands present an abundant amount of arable soil and it expanded their network of fur-trading as they meet new people around it. A creole language begins to form after years of helping one another, a combination between Chinese and Russian has become a unique form of communication for the folks living in Alyeska and Chavychia.

But as they eventually colonize the entire coast and pusher further into the mainland, they discover that they’re not the only ones who are settling in the new world. Pushing further south, they made contact with the Acehnese; people from the southern archipelago, and the familiar face; the Spanish and the British. Skirmished ensued as they begin to fight over their lands that they claimed to be theirs.

But eventually, the conflict waned and a treaty was formed to respect their boundaries. The Russians are now claimants of the northwestern region while they stay away from the deeper landscapes of the east for the Acehnese and Spaniards to bicker over.

The settlements ruled by Russia can be described as diverse, filled with folks ranging from the Chinese, Jurchens, Turks, and the Native population. Despite the challenges presented by the first few decades, it eventually becomes a profitable landscape due to the extensive fur trade and agricultural output that is produced. The Ming Dynasty has become more open to the world and Russia has become a melting of many ideas from the East and West.

Bruh. Amazing map. Then again, I shouldn't expect any less from you after your top-tier work on your Libyan TL.

Russian Hegemony 1.0.png

Just trying to have some fun with a Russian victory in WW1... I haven't really gotten around to South America and bits of Africa and the Middle East yet, so disregard those, but I am looking for some input in other areas.

Russia undergoes a string of reforms after the Russo-Japanese War, and begins to rapidly industrialize and modernize. By the onset of the Great War, it not only has a colossal population, but also booming industry and boasts one of the most stable governments in continental Europe. Austria, its neighbor, had been forced to reform and modernize somewhat as well but had failed to keep pace with the Russians. The Great War in the West proceeds as in OTL, and both France and Britain nearly buckle under the pressure of German troops, however, the Russian tide in the East rapidly overwhelms both the Germans and Austrians, and before long has routed the main forces of both nations. Germany is forced to quickly redeploy numerous forces from the West to counter the Russian assault, while Austria begins to collapse. Britain and France manage to regroup and counterattack in the West, keeping the Germans spread thin. Russian numbers eventually overwhelm the Germans and take Berlin, while the Royal Navy executes landings in Hamburg and Holstein that enable the British and French to occupy Western Germany. Austria had dissolved into civil war months earlier. Bulgaria, Romania, and Italy had all sided with Germany and Austria (Romanian fears of Russian expansion pushed them to align with Germany, while Italy sided with them after seeing the initial German success in France and the Austrian conquest of Serbia, which was quite rapid ITTL), and so suffered the consequences in the Treaty of Berlin. Bulgaria lost nearly half her territory, while Romania was annexed fully by the Russians. Italy, like Germany, had lost her colonies, though the Italian colonies went to the British while Russia negotiated for control of the German colonies. Germany was divided back into several princedoms- Bavaria, Prussia, Brandenburg, and Hannover, to name a few- and Austria was broken up, with Hungary, Austria, Bohemia, and Slovakia obtaining independence while the rest of the former Austrian Empire was absorbed into the new Yugoslavian Federation. Poland was formed in the east, a Russian concession to British and French pressures in exchange for the German colonies.

Later wars would be fought in China and Japan, the former between a Franco-British bloc and a Russian bloc, and the latter between Japan and the Russians, both of which would result in expanding Russian global influence. A second Great War would be fought between the Franco-American-Italian axis and the Russo-British alliance, which would ultimately result in the map here, in the year 1942. Britain had clung to her many colonies, while claiming several new ones, and had liberalized to a degree by establishing Commonwealth dominions in India, Egypt, Southern China, and the Sandwich Islands, with greater degrees of self-governance. Russia had simply claimed more and more territory around the world, while also backing several other small republics and kingdoms within their sphere of influence. The world approaches a state analogous to the Cold War of OTL, as the British Commonwealth seeks to add more nations to their global empire, and the Russian Tsar fights to contain the growth of the Commonwealth.

Russia undergoes a string of reforms after the Russo-Japanese War, and begins to rapidly industrialize and modernize.
I wonder why they didn’t OTL.
The Great War in the West proceeds as in OTL
Forgive me, but I’ve forgotten the chronology of the various alliances leading up thereto. Wouldn’t the social, governmental, and economic changes made to Russia result in a differing set of alliances, perhaps changing the entire nature of “the war” resulting from the collapse of the succession of Austria-Hungary? If there’s even one at all and not just a civil war, that is.
the Russian tide in the East rapidly overwhelms both the Germans and Austrians
I’m not sure I can see that. Fighting Germany to a standstill, sure.
A second Great War would be fought between the Franco-American-Italian axis
1. Why would the US give a shit, given that it didn’t get involved in WWI and would be fiercely isolationist TO THIS DAY if not for a series of unfortunate events?
2. How could the US have possibly lost, resulting in the loss of Alaska?

I wonder why they didn’t OTL.

Forgive me, but I’ve forgotten the chronology of the various alliances leading up thereto. Wouldn’t the social, governmental, and economic changes made to Russia result in a differing set of alliances, perhaps changing the entire nature of “the war” resulting from the collapse of the succession of Austria-Hungary? If there’s even one at all and not just a civil war, that is.

I’m not sure I can see that. Fighting Germany to a standstill, sure.

1. Why would the US give a shit, given that it didn’t get involved in WWI and would be fiercely isolationist TO THIS DAY if not for a series of unfortunate events?
2. How could the US have possibly lost, resulting in the loss of Alaska?

Why didn't they reform? Well aside from many historians considering that Tsar Nicholas II dealt poorly with the revolutionary movements and was a relatively weak ruler, I would hazard a guess that it was the general "people resist change" kinda deal. POD here, of course, is that Nicholas II is hit a little harder by his defeat at the hands of a non-European power and realizes he needs to be a little bolder and shake things up a little.

Well, I figured an increasingly liberal/democratic Russia would appear a far more appealing an ally to the British and French, not to mention a greater threat in German eyes. The reforms and development in Austria-Hungary were enough to keep Germany from ditching their southern ally entirely and looking to repair relations with the British. Regardless, by the time of the POD, all of the major alliances were already in place, so this would have little effect.

The initial Russian force ready to attack East Prussia in 1914 was nearly 6 times the size of the German force. It was defeated by the Germans OTL only because the troops were poorly supplied and not as well-led as the Germans. Additionally, the Germans were able to move their troops around the region by rail rapidly to counterattack Russian forces. In this instance, where Russia has experienced some degree of industrial growth and general reform, their military is better-equipped and better-trained, perfectly capable of taking on the Germans.

Sorry, I didn't want to put the entire TL on here so I didn't fully describe how exactly the second war came about. The US transitioned from a very isolationist state to a more nationalist state- still not really caring about Europe, except for a bit of trade here and there, but was very invested in becoming the undisputed dominant power in the Americas and eastern Pacific. When they saw the Russians and British infringing on what the Americans saw as their sphere of influence, they aligned themselves with the French- who already had little investment in the Pacific and were growing increasingly focused on European affairs and furthering their pseudo-fascist goals there. I envisioned a sort of Japan-analogue here.

How did they lose? Like you said, they would still be pretty isolationist. The government is largely made up of two factions, a strongly isolationist party and a more aggressive nationalist party. The nationalist party gained power after failure to intervene in the Mexican Civil War resulted in numerous casualties on the border, though there was still a large segment of the population that was opposed to the conflict. Many of these would refuse to go when drafted or would desert. Additionally, the American military hadn't experienced any sort of buildup, and had also never really been involved in any large-scale international war, and so the Americans came into the war rather unprepared (the leaders of the government vastly underestimated the brutal realities of warfare, thinking that Canada would easily be taken and then they could take a mostly defensive position). Ultimately, after several defeats, and losses of many overseas territories, the government shifts hands as the population loses faith in the nationalist party, and the isolationist party desperately negotiates peace, as France and Italy have already fallen and the full Russian and British industry is turned on the Americans. Nonetheless, the Russian Alaska is very unlikely and I was planning on putting it back to the Americans.

Thanks for the input! Sorry my answers are all so long, hopefully they're satisfactory 🤷🏻‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.