Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a part further back than that comparing the Tigers-Euphrates river system to that of the Rio Grande-Pecos. Originally, someone suggested simply swapping them geographically.

And though the Virgin Earth idea is sound, something more interesting would be those two areas swapped and sent back in time. Maybe 100 years?
I thought I'd have a go at this, except without sending back in time.

1) Iraq is swapped with the US-Mexico border region on May 2, 2003.
usiraq.png

2) An insurgency never happens in Iraq (due to its new location on the US-Mexican border) and the country is stabilized (albeit with the Kurdish regions broken off). Next, the Bush government uses various things (liberating the Kurds, viewing the ISOT as a sign from God supporting American intervention in the Middle East, as well as pointing to the success of the intervention in Iraq) to justify quite a bit of jingoism, painting both Saudi Arabia and Iran as being complicit in terrorism. (the fact that the regions in question are oil-rich is purely coincidental... promise...). Here's what the world map looks like 10 years later.

usiraq3.png

Hj7iJIx.png

The World on the Eve of WWIII (2099)

Green- The Capitalist Alliance
Blue- States under occupation by The Capitalist Alliance

Red- The Anti-Imperialist Pact
Pink- States under occupation by the Anti-Imperialist Pact

White are neutral states

Aurantiacis

Gone Fishin'
🌹 Alberta Land 🍁
Life and Livelihood in Canada's Princess Province​

Words cannot describe how harmonious everything is and looks. If I can, I’d buy a poster version of that.
How did you honestly pull off such a big task? Did you research all the data first, or get the base maps, etc.?

Again, absolutely wonderful!

A map of the Deccan Confederation
xohx1qh30v841.png

India had been through quite a lot in the 20th century. They were ruled by the British, before being divided up into former British provinces and set free. Considering that many of these were multi-ethnic agglomerations with few uniting traits, the entire region spiraled into war. The Nizamate of Hyderabad and the Kingdom of Mysore struck a pact in which they would try and hold themselves out against the ongoing chaos in the subcontinent. Hyderabad took control of it’s vassal, Berar, and the two main nations fought devastating conflicts with the Bombay Republic and the Madras Republic in order to seize Kannadan land. The small province of Coorg was also integrated into the alliance, and

Eventually the Alliance unified into the Deccan Confederation on June 24th, 1952, composed of the states of Hyderabad, Mysore, Berar, Karnataka and Kodagu (Coorg was renamed). They managed to hold off against Bombay and Madras (which soon reformed into the Maratha Republic and Dravidia respectively). Tensions cooled with the two powers in the coming years, although Dravidian nationalists commonly claimed the entire confederation. Goa had a referendum and joined the confederation in 1961, when it gained independence from Portugal. In the next decades, the Deccan Confederation managed to develop itself well, and today it is the richest and most peaceful region on the Indian subcontinent.

The confederation is located in Central-South India, bordering the Maratha Republic to the West, the Republic of Dravidia to the South and East and the State of Hindustan to the North. It is mainly based around the Deccan Plateau and the Western Ghat mountains. It is home to many nature reserves and forests, home to it’s national animal, the Tiger. It used to be mainly agricultural, but now it has a rapidly growing tech sector in the cities of Hyderabad, Mysore and Bangalore. Many of the CEO’s of the world’s largest tech companies hail from the confederation. Here is a brief overview of the states of the Confederation:

• Hyderabad is the most dominant state in the confederation, and it is a constitutional monarchy ruled by the Nizam presiding over a parliament. It is home to the nation’s capital, Hyderabad, and it has many historical sites scattered throughout the state. The official languages are Urdu and Telugu, although it has large Hindi, Kannada and Marathi speaking minorities.
  • Mysore is another constitutional monarchy, and it is home to the largest city, Bangalore, as well as many of the top universities and largest companies of the nation. It has a large agricultural industry as well, and it is one of the richest regions on the subcontinent. Most of its population speaks Kannada.
  • Karnataka was a region that was fought over during the confederation’s early history. It was the site of many battles, and today it is a mainly agricultural based state. Unlike the first two, it is a Republic, and its head of state is a democratically elected president. It is also a mainly Kannada speaking region.
  • Berar is a Marathi speaking region in the north. It is a monarchy, and it has a strong, mughal based culture. It is the source of most of the Confederation’s military, and it is a generally conservative place.
  • Goa is a unique, Portuguese and Konkani speaking nation. It was a Portuguese colony for most of it;s history, and today is a top tourist attraction due to it’s beaches and wildlife. It is a republic similar to Karnataka.
  • Kodagu is the smallest state, and it is really only prominent because of it’s beautiful nature reserves and liberal government. It is a state well known for being full of retirees. It’s official language is Kannada and it is a republic.
The nation has a relatively complex government. It is led by a president, who is elected by the people by popular vote, who serves under two houses of Congress, one with made up of people chosen by state governments, and the other made up of people elected from each state It is a member of the Commonwealth, and it has close relations with the U.S. and Russia, but a deteriorating relationship with the Chinese. This has caused the Chinese to embargo the nation, but they do not have much effect.

The culture of the nation is pretty diverse and unique. Most of the population is either Hindu, Muslim or Christian, although there is a lack of infighting between them. Despite this, the nation is pretty religious, with Hindu temples of old and new design dominating city skylines and a Jamma Masjid in every historical center. Biryani is the official dish, and deccani citizens are known for only eating deccani biryani (as they consider all other biryanis to be horseshit). There are quite a bit of interesting foods as well, and deccani restaurants are extremely popular in America and the U.K., with the latter sometimes choosing that over their own national food. The official language of the country is English, although there are plans to write a new national language from scratch right now, to unite the nation.

There was a part further back than that comparing the Tigers-Euphrates river system to that of the Rio Grande-Pecos. Originally, someone suggested simply swapping them geographically.

And though the Virgin Earth idea is sound, something more interesting would be those two areas swapped and sent back in time. Maybe 100 years?

I thought I'd have a go at this, except without sending back in time.

1) Iraq is swapped with the US-Mexico border region on May 2, 2003.
View attachment 513677

2) An insurgency never happens in Iraq (due to its new location on the US-Mexican border) and the country is stabilized (albeit with the Kurdish regions broken off). Next, the Bush government uses various things (liberating the Kurds, viewing the ISOT as a sign from God supporting American intervention in the Middle East, as well as pointing to the success of the intervention in Iraq) to justify quite a bit of jingoism, painting both Saudi Arabia and Iran as being complicit in terrorism. (the fact that the regions in question are oil-rich is purely coincidental... promise...). Here's what the world map looks like 10 years later.

View attachment 513679

To hop onto the Tigris-Euphrates <--> Rio Grande-Pecos ISOT bandwagon, I've edited them onto an elevation map of the middle east (from freeworldmaps.net).

rZSR971.jpg

[edit: Have a rough map of the borders immediately following an ISOT int o1400 BCE mesopotamia (more coming soon). The city names are taken from the records of neighboring states such as the Egyptians, Persians, Hittites and Hebrews. Two factors affected this. The American/Amrakani electronic records being destroyed before they could be transferred elsewhere, many of their computers were destroyed in the bronze age collapse natural disasters (just because the different names are fun, I'm not going for realism obviously), and the fact that the spoken English would be effected at least a bit by neighboring Semitic and Iranic languages. I will try to make a later map as well.]

KCMqtsj.jpg

Legend:
  • Makalan = McAllen
  • Montarai = Monterrey (the one in Mexico obviously)
  • Waraz = Juarez
  • Las Krusas = Las Cruces
  • Karlabad = Carlsbad
  • Addaas = Odessa
  • Pakas = Pecos
  • Albakurk = Albuquerque (the ee sound at the end got dropped)
  • Santafa = Santa Fe
  • El Paso = well, what do you think?

If this belongs in the shitpost thread, mods, please move it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 101966

This is incredible work, genuinely jaw-dropping. If it's not too much trouble, would you be willing to link your data sources if you still have them, for those of us who also work with QGIS?
Here are the big ones:

- Uninterestingly, the Alberta-specific vector layers are all from Altalis, the province's arms-length open data provider.
- Land cover is a free CEC product, covering all of North America at 30m (!) resolution and 3GB. Only accurate to 2010, so urban sprawl and wildfire burns are visibly out of date.
- Hillshade uses ESRI's handy web layer (direct link), which was made for ArcGIS but can be accessed in QGIS as well. This is a really useful resource that saves a lot of disc space, but the legality is questionable because ESRI has a miserly license policy. I wouldn't sell anything that uses it.
- Waterbodies come from HydroLAKES, a good (but large) global shapefile.

Other provincial/state open data portals fill the gaps as needed. Most of the historical geography is based on original research.

The lack of a "P" sound is an Arabic thing; Northwestern Semitic languages like Aramaic, Hebrew, and Phoenician have it. I'm also not sure when exactly Arabic lost it.

And while modern Arabic does tend to use to use the "B" sound for foreign words with "P" in them, the linguistic shift that largely removed it from Arabic tended to shift it to an "F" sound. Somewhat related, most (all?) of the Northwestern Semitic languages don't have a letter for "F", and when they use that sound, it is usually represented by peh (the letter than makes a "P") as well.

So, it would be al-Fasa, but there's no reason to think that the region would fall under Arabic linguistic influence.

EDIT: most or all Iranic languages, including Farsi and Kurdish, also have "P" (discussing other near neighbors).

Last edited:
To hop onto the Tigris-Euphrates <--> Rio Grande-Pecos ISOT bandwagon, I've edited them onto an elevation map of the middle east (from freeworldmaps.net)
I imagine the name of cities would be on signs everywhere, though those would get a bit worse for wear after sand storms hitting them too much. Plus not like there would be much extra paper around. I am surprised that the two groups didn't try to move into more temperate areas. Though as that involves moving into Anatolia, the Caucasus, and the Iranian platuea, I imagine a lot were in the way,

This is a map and spreadsheet I made for my EG: Liberals and Conservatives.
The United Bolivarian States of Gran Colombia in 1880:
59A5D80F-E8B2-4045-AF2C-5D966D7B3AFA.png

State/territory population and representation in 1880:

StateCapitalPopulation (in k)DelegatesSenators
AmazonasFlorencia500
AntioquiaMedellin470102
ApureBarinas7822
BolívarCartagena28062
BoyacáTunja702142
CaucaPopayán614122
CoroCoro526112
Costa RicaSan José20542