Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no second major river running basically parallel to the Grande like the Tigris to the Euphrates.
Not only is there a system that looks almost like the Tigris Euphrates, it sits at exactly the same latitude as Iraq, which can basically just be superimposed on it. I smell a horrifying ISOT-swap story inbound…

96693-B7-C-5-FD3-4-DE8-AABA-28-D9-A44-F397-A.jpg

That's transparently uninspired

Badum Tsshhh

In all seriousness, a few questions:

- Why is Mesopotamia called such, even though it's just a Trans-Rio Grande state? There's no second major river running basically parallel to the Grande like the Tigris to the Euphrates.
- Why's Zion called such? Did the Yanks pull a Russia or Britain and make a place to dump all their Jews?
- Why's Idaho called such? It's a name some dude pulled out of his arse one day, there's no etymology behind it.
- Why are the state boundry-drawers so boring ITTL? They're actual squares here.

1) The Pecos, as Drex said. (note that yes, the state is pretty focused around the Pecos and the Rio Grande).
2) I was thinking it's a name thought of by some Christian group- I believe "Zion" was considered for OTL Utah, it's not solely used by Jews. But it could instead be a Jewish thing, as you suggest.
3) Oops, didn't know that. Let's just say that some similar dude happened to think of the same name.
4) Simplicity- they're mostly a standard 4 degrees x 3 degrees. And such a thing was definitely done IOTL in parts of the US, and it was considered for France, so it's not unprecedented at all.

WI the US Senate was even more undemocratic.

Indeed. Reform will probably be proposed.

Ok, so since I got a break from finals I decided to entertain myself and make something that, while not a gift, I could call a Christmas treat for y'all

Although not necessarily Christmas-related, for some reason I associate this setting with Christmas. Perhaps it's because there's "snow" in the title, perhaps because of the Messianic themes involved. In any case, this is inspired in an alternate ending to one of my favourite books, Leo Perutz's Saint Peter's Snow, which is mostly about a history-loving monarchist German noble pursuing what is it that caused faith to run out in the modern world, discovering religious devotion has its source in a wheat mold called Saint Peter's Snow that acts as kind of a LSD substance and gives people both religious fervour and divine-right-of-kings monarchism, which was wiped out due to selective breeding of wheat during the Agricultural Revolution, leading to the rise of secularism in the 19th century.

After making this discovery, the baron begins working towards recreating by synthetic methods the substance, so as to bring the Christian faith and the Holy Roman Empire back... under a restored Hohestaufen dynasty, surviving modestly in Northern Italy. He also hosts regularly other "legitimate" leaders of other realms, such a surviving Tudor and a White Emigre Rurikid.

In the end, a miscalculation backfires upon these plans, for reasons I won't spoil (it's such a great book, do read it!), but in this scenario I imagine if it didn't and the baron was successful in "re-establishing" his rather romantic image of feudalism. So I took the most renowned national dynasties and mostly invented heirs where the story didn't mention them, placing them on the throne and giving them small blurbs

6Boq47H.png

YvdkWLI.jpg

Questions are very welcome, here's a few I thought of:

1) America, country and continent alike, is freaking out, and holding on on transatlantic trade. The USA is worried about the wiping out of the Protestant Reformation in Europe and the Latins are not thrilled with the potential of waking up wanting to recreate the Spanish Empire or something like that. In the US, they have captured some Saint Peter's Snow to figure out exactly how Americans would react to such a substance

2) Turkey is also freaking out, the Kemalists know very well what Saint Peter's Snow means: Ottomans. And they don't like it. And they don't exactly like the "Byzantine" aspect of the new Hellenic monarchy either

3) Japan has adhered to Saint Peter's Snow like it's the poppy, fuelling a fervent devotion to Emperor and Fatherland. So Imperial Japan on steroids. They are carefully to keep it away from the Chinese, but rumours float around of a restored Ming Dynasty raising arms in China

4) India is a mess, with the British leaving everything behind to return to the good old country. Or countries. There's tales of a Maurya Emperor rising over there

OK Christmas has me rushing, so if you're interested in knowing more or spot a mistake please say something!

Happy Holidays!

This somehow reminds me of Arthur Christmas where Santa (or rather multiple ones) has to use technology and elves to accomplish his gift giving and had to bear with the military forces of the countries he's visiting, mainly avoiding detection from them and civilians, especially during the first two world wars; granted there was only 1 UAV that got involved in the film directly but you get the idea.

Not only is there a system that looks almost like the Tigris Euphrates, it sits at exactly the same latitude as Iraq, which can basically just be superimposed on it.
The United States of America and Mexico
Kv5zLpY.png

At 10:28am MST on December 25th, the area around El Paso in the shape of the nation of Iraq found itself transported across time and space, locating itself on an empty world (as far as they know). This cased immediate crisis in the nation, the economy collapsed, everything devolved into chaos, at least briefly. Within a year, the states of Mexico and the States of the US united into a single nation.​
The United Nations of America and Mexico (Naciones Unidas de América y México) - The original territories transported. They've coalesced into a single nation. The capital is the District of Paso del Norte. The two former nations are technically still divided, but it's more in the manner of state vs state, rather than nation vs nation. It is currently run by the Republican Action Party (Partido Republicano de Acción) with the Democratic Revolutionary Movement (Movimiento Revolucionario Democrático/MOREDE). Biggest producers of Oil in the World.
The United States of America-in-exile - Those "True Americans" who decided it would be better to set off for parts unknown rather than be united with those "illegals". They created a nationalistic conservative authoritarian state based off of the island of Rhodes. They have expanded since and have become a little less horrible, but Mexicans who live in the region are usually treated as second-class citizens. The only political party is the National Union Party. The states contained within the nation are Rhode Island (Rhodes), Georgia (Greece), Pennsylvania (Crete), New York (Cyprus), and Virginia (Anatolia)
United Mexican States (Estados Unidos Mexicanos) - Those Nationalistic Mexicans who refused to be united with the United States. They fled to the Iberian Peninsula. It's a small liberal republic. The "States" are the State of España and the State of Marruecos. They are currently led by the Partido Revolucionario Institucional (PRI/Institutional Revolutionary Party) with the Partido Encuentro Social (PES/Social Encounter Party) in support. The opposition is Partido Democrático-Ecológico-Laborista
(PDEL/Democratic-Ecology-Labor Party)
There have been reports of activity in the Atlantic Ocean. It may very well be another nation. Radio transmissions have also been picked up from North America that claim to be from the Republic of Iraq.​

Wild, @TwiliAlchemist

This one is for @Malta and his TL, Bahia de Todos los Santos: Spanish Colonization of the Mid-Atlantic

bahiasantos.png

There is much celebration in the streets of Colombia, capital of the United Republics of North America (also known as the United Republics of Carolina and Joseana, the United Republics, or just the Union). A war harder-fought than OTLs Spanish-American war (The United Republic, although already a fairly important power, is relatively less powerful in respect to Spain than the USA OTL [1]) ended in a clear victory for the Republic, and liberated Cuba and Puerto Rico will, it is hoped, quickly join the United Republic as new states. A touch of nationalist over-enthusiasm is in the air, with newspaper columnists calling for the unification of California with the United Republic, the unification of the Central Republics with the United Republic, and even in some cases unification with Mexico. (Only a few radical oddballs are saying the the United Republic has a Manifest Destiny to unify all of Spanish-speaking Latin America. So far).

This sort of talk makes Californians and central Americans nervous, and annoys Mexicans. It also sort of annoys the United Republic's big neighbor to the north: while the Virginians have come to be pretty chill about the Spanish-speaking country to their south[2], the notion of large scale United Republics expansion just rubs them the wrong way.

[1] Any rebellious Filipinos will just have to handle things on their own.

[2] It's been half a century since they clashed militarily, and the Virginians can reassure themselves of their superiority on the basis of being richer, bigger (in square miles at least), having overseas territory, being more "civilized" (whatever that means...)

Last edited:
SNIPPAGE... A war harder-fought than OTLs Spanish-American war (The United Republic, although already a fairly important power, is relatively less powerful in respect to Spain than the USA OTL [1])... SNIPPAGE

Awesome map cover, although two things spring to mind;
1) I think you missed footnote number one on the bottom, and
2) Are there any pointers you have for resizing a WORLDA-style map like this? The format's nice, but just seems off to me.

Awesome map cover, although two things spring to mind;
1) I think you missed footnote number one on the bottom, and
2) Are there any pointers you have for resizing a WORLDA-style map like this? The format's nice, but just seems off to me.

1. Thanks, fixed.
2. Just copy from the basemap and "stretch image 200%" in Paint, I'm afraid. You do get thick borders and double-width rivers that way, but I'm too lazy to redraw all the continental and lake borders.

Status
Not open for further replies.