Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blood2.png
And here's the new map.

Last edited:
Northeast is gonna riot being left out of this while North gets two lines to itself.
The northeast has two commuter lines not shown on this map, and doesn't extend as far/is less populous anyway. Here's the map with some of the commuter lines(some extend well beyond the edge of this map).
4La652F.png

Slavery is normal in this world, and the plantations of Ioruba north *America and the Amurizag *Caribbean require fresh recruits. The biggest source of slaves is Europe, prisoners of war taken in Celt on German/Celt on Celt/German on Slav wars, the Turkish Khans selling off rebellious subject peoples, or the product of Jutlander slave raiding (something the *Danes have recently expanded to positively industrial scales). The Suihon/Swedish Empire does some raiding on the crumbling Slavic and Finnish edges of the Turkish empire, but it's a smaller scale - and necessarily more cautious - enterprise.

I think the idea of Africans ruling over white slaves is...really questionable. There's a reason Europeans used African slaves IOTL, and it's because neither Native Americans nor Europeans could survive tropical diseases well enough to make good slaves on Caribbean or South American plantations. They tried to use white labor, oh they tried, but ultimately only African slaves could turn a profit.

I think in a TL where Africans colonized the New World, they would be using African labor, either colonists, indentured servants, or, yes, slaves. Whether or not they use slaves in equal numbers to OTL probably has a lot to do with economic and geopolitical factors.

(It's about as similar to OTL Islam as OTL Islam is to Mormonism.)

Humorously, Mormonism was called "the American Islam" by its early detractors...

I think the idea of Africans ruling over white slaves is...really questionable. There's a reason Europeans used African slaves IOTL, and it's because neither Native Americans nor Europeans could survive tropical diseases well enough to make good slaves on Caribbean or South American plantations. They tried to use white labor, oh they tried, but ultimately only African slaves could turn a profit.

How about US Olde South plantations? After all, whites did manage to settle there in numbers, even if they weren't working the cotton fields. (It is, after all, central to the original story.)

How about US Olde South plantations? After all, whites did manage to settle there in numbers, even if they weren't working the cotton fields. (It is, after all, central to the original story.)

Europeans who settled in the South still died in droves of diseases like dysentery, malaria, typhoid fever, etc - the death rate from disease was twice as high in Virginia as it was in Massachusetts. Africans had better resistances. Of course, they tended to die from being worked to death instead, but at least they stayed alive long enough to work.

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Great map, but so many questions. :)

Why "Hudson" instead of Keewatin?

If you kept Athabasca, why is Manitoba the same shape as OTL? And why not Assiniboia, too?

It’s named for Hudson Bay, but Keewatin is a common alternative name, used particularly by the First Nations in Hudson. There are repeated proposals to amend the provinces formal name to “Hudson-Keewatin” but it’s never gotten anywhere. Although the imperial constituency for the province uses the hyphenated name.

For Manitoba there’s no real reason other than an artistic choice. With regards to Assiniboia - just felt it split the province too small for such a lightly populated area. Plus saves the name for somewhere else ;)

there is two 55s and your missing 60 in the notes and 36 in the map. and 38 is gone.

OK, fixed the 55s and 60 business, but 36 and 38 are in the notes and on the map, I don't quite understand.

Here's another one of these. Serbia owes a lot to @NikoZnate 's "Eastern Europe is western Europe" map, which has such a spectacular wank that I didn't dare upstage it.

WanksSomaliaToSaudis.png

Bytor

Monthly Donor
OK, fixed the 55s and 60 business, but 36 and 38 are in the notes and on the map, I don't quite understand.

Here's another one of these. Serbia owes a lot to @NikoZnate 's "Eastern Europe is western Europe" map, which has such a spectacular wank that I didn't dare upstage it.

I always gotta squint so much to read your stuff. I use to think it was just because I was usually on a 15" laptop, but now, with dual 27" 4k monitors I am still squinting. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.