Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the situation with the borders? Are Germany, Poland, Denmark, Finland, and Romania in some sort of confederation with the USSR? And is Greece being invaded by one side or the other?

Well, the borders are pretty obscure, so might have to change it.

Well, the borders are pretty obscure, so might have to change it.
The varying color of the borders is what's got me confused. Of course, it certainly would be super cool to see a more explicitly political expansion of Soviet empire in place of Stalin's CMEA economic control!

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
The Dominion of Canada from Hail, Britannia:

eWdpt0w.png

Here's the Empire of the Free City of Ulm, in all of it's ~200k (197390.76 to be exactish) sq km. thoughts and questions welcome (and yes, this is a serious map I made, next up on the Empires of small places is San Marino and it's territories in Florida)
upload_2019-12-6_16-30-26.png

I have some complaints about this, there's no chance that the USSR would gain any amount of France, remember, they were almost out of men when they got to berlin. Besides, if they did somehow get parts or all of france, and didn't give it back, that's most likely means that moscow's becoming fried bear for a few decades.

Considering the French resistance was left leaning. Without D-Day, the more moderate French government in exile and De Gaulle don't get there so the French probably could liberate themselves once the soviets force the nazis to pull out all their troops to defend in the east.

That's the best map I've seen all week.

:coldsweat::extremelyhappy: Thanks!

Are the Confederations all "native states"?

Yes; the first native realm in the Union was the Haudenosaunee Confederacy, who allied with the colonists during the Independence War in TTL. In fact, the Haudenosaunee were one of the original 18 realms and their admission paved the way for the future admission of other native regions. The three other native realms, typically with borders meant to home varying tribes of a region and owing to the influence of Haudenosaunee being the first native realm, each joined the Union as "confederacies." The Northwest Confederacy largely became the home of natives of the Ohio Valley, while the Southern Confederacy became the home of natives south of there. The Calusa Confederacy, the fourth and final native realm to join the Union, is the product of the natives in Central and South Florida not going extinct as they did in OTL (possible by way of ASB intervention and creative expression). Although the Calusa are the majority of the native population there, there are other native peoples within the territory. It should also be noted that all of the native realms have populations of at least 1.5M people due to reforms throughout the 20th century that opened the realms to immigration from throughout the realm. This is most notable in the Calusa Confederacy, where the native and mixed-native population accounts for just 34% of the total.

While every realm in the Union is more autonomous than an OTL U.S. state (especially so prior to the centralization reforms of the latter 19th century/early 20th century), the native realms are given even more leeway. For example, the native realms are allowed to limit the immigration into their realms at whatever rate they choose, including on a non-equal basis and regarding specific realms.

If you'd like to read some more into how the native realms work in the U.A.R., this post on the Haudenosaunee Confederacy's modernization efforts may be of interest!

I've read a little bit about a house of lamps, BUT THIS IS HOW IT IS ?? i've got a lot to catch up to

This is the world in ATL 2019, over 300 years since my previous last timeline update. Lot of stuff can happen in 300 years. Part of my worldbuilding philosophy was always to assume that while I was writing in one place, stuff was always happening everywere else. So, for a modern world map a lot of it is quite different than how it was 300 years ago in my previous post.

This is the world in ATL 2019, over 300 years since my previous last timeline update. Lot of stuff can happen in 300 years. Part of my worldbuilding philosophy was always to assume that while I was writing in one place, stuff was always happening everywere else. So, for a modern world map a lot of it is quite different than how it was 300 years ago in my previous post.

A list of names of places in the Americas and Australia and their (dominant) colonizers would be delightful.

Where the heck did that mega-Kongo (which does not include OTL Kongo kingdom) come from?

A list of names of places in the Americas and Australia and their (dominant) colonizers would be delightful.

Where the heck did that mega-Kongo (which does not include OTL Kongo kingdom) come from?

The main timeline has a smaller colonialism map

CIxqHFL.jpg

What happened with Kongo is that it was originally the largest portion of the Arab empire in Africa. It was then forcibly partitioned into a seperate state under English influence. The name is from the larger basin which ATL, like OTL, took its name from the Kongo people in its south.

Part of the reasoning was based in colonial views of Africa as being divided between so-called 'black' and 'red' peoples, so Sudan was concieved as a nation for the 'red' peoples while Kongo was for the rest. It was also believed by keeping this huge territory under one government in the south, far from major population centers it would make the local government have to rely more on established European presence in the densely populated areas of OTL southern Nigeria, where even through the Arab occupation Christian Europeans have maintained a trading presence in the area going back to the beginning of the colonial era.

Just as a general guess I believe its slightly smaller than the continental US.

The main timeline has a smaller colonialism map

What happened with Kongo is that it was originally the largest portion of the Arab empire in Africa. It was then forcibly partitioned into a seperate state under English influence. The name is from the larger basin which ATL, like OTL, took its name from the Kongo people in its south.

Part of the reasoning was based in colonial views of Africa as being divided between so-called 'black' and 'red' peoples, so Sudan was concieved as a nation for the 'red' peoples while Kongo was for the rest. It was also believed by keeping this huge territory under one government in the south, far from major population centers it would make the local government have to rely more on established European presence in the densely populated areas of OTL southern Nigeria, where even through the Arab occupation Christian Europeans have maintained a trading presence in the area going back to the beginning of the colonial era.

Just as a general guess I believe its slightly smaller than the continental US.

I really have trouble seeing an area that large, diverse, and geographically poorly connected holding together as one state in the post-colonial era.

Does that lighter shade of blue indicate Egypt and west Arabia were French satellite states?

Was north China never conquered by anyone (different dynasty?)

German Sudan ...puzzles me.

Judging from the names, Australia might have originally been colonized by the Dutch originally, but it looks like a lot of other nations got involved and took over a lot of it.

Were there Muslim states in the Americas taken over by Europeans? Did some of them return to Muslim dominance post-colonialism?

Does Confederated Orian have sizable Castilian and Dutch minorities?

I really have trouble seeing an area that large, diverse, and geographically poorly connected holding together as one state in the post-colonial era.

Does that lighter shade of blue indicate Egypt and west Arabia were French satellite states?

Was north China never conquered by anyone (different dynasty?)

German Sudan ...puzzles me.

Judging from the names, Australia might have originally been colonized by the Dutch originally, but it looks like a lot of other nations got involved and took over a lot of it.

Were there Muslim states in the Americas taken over by Europeans? Did some of them return to Muslim dominance post-colonialism?

Does Confederated Orian have sizable Castilian and Dutch minorities?

You aren't being pesky. I like intentionally adding odd things in maps because I find odd things happen in history. It feels more realistic to me to have some stuff that makes people go wtf. I mean, look at a modern map of Africa.

Kongo was 'created' pretty recently as far as things go, in the 1910s, and then a lot of its stability is owed to its rule initially by a strict military state that quelled ethnic tensions. ATL West Africa is also more culturally homogenous than in OTL due to some very large pre-colonial conquests that assimilated many smaller groups into a more unified, Islamic / Fula culture. It is also nowadays decently prosperous and developed in parts that help pump enough money into the local economy to keep things above water.

Egypt and West Africa are lighter because the underlying terrain is lighter.

German Sudan is Germany trying, and succeeding, in wresting a economically significant area away for its own empire before other powers fully appreciated its significance. And then being subsequently surrounded as other states claim all the lands around it.

In North America you had many muslim-majority regions ceded to France after some significant Arab defeats in war, but remain today in non-Arab control. This includes the entire Gulf Coast and Florida. Some regions were settled by Europeans and Arabs around the same time but are now ruled by Arabs, like many places in southeastern South America. There are areas that had Arabs living in them, were ruled by Christian Europeans, and now are ruled by muslim leaders, like some of the states along OTL Brazils eastern coast, but the native Arabs in these regions are so creolized they really are a distinct ethnicity. Many areas in the American West and the South American 'southern cone' are home to distinct seperate mestizo Arab cultures that do not consider themselves close kin to the more traditional Arabs living in Mexico or the Caribbean, certainly not to those in the old world. They're almost like Boers. Clearly related but a seperate culture has developed that values its autonomy.

The C.O.S has no meaningful Dutch minority because the Dutch claims in North America were never vigorously settled, and those that were saw many Dutchmen expelled after their conquest by France. There is a large (50+ percent in areas) Castillian minority but their language and culture has been suppressed continously since Castile lost its foreign territories to France, and even before then. Castile and France were in a political union for many years and Frenchmen occupied top social positions during that time, and that inequality continued after seperation, and then after France absorbed those colonies through modern independence. Many cities in the southeastern US have Castilian names but are officially labelled in more Francophone names as a part of linguistic assimilation. Clearly not inspired at all by OTL Frances attitude towards minority languages grumble grumble.

I also noticed I forgot to change Savannah.... Sadly I had to rush this map a bit because of time constraints, and it shows in places.

Haven't posted in this thread yet, so here's a quick mockup of a Twin Cities LRT system. More work to come when I find the time. There will be a commuter rail system as well, although probably on a separate map.
9uW2W14.png

Northeast is gonna riot being left out of this while North gets two lines to itself.

As some people asked, I did a world map for that Lion's Blood-inspired "African world" map I did earlier this year. https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/map-thread-xviii.448574/page-434#post-18927803

This is a world where some alt-plagues and wars wrecked Roman and Greek civilization early on, and Africa managed to get a bit of a boost. Nowadays "modernity" is mostly an African thing, with some genuine science and technology at about mid-19th century levels (steamships and railways and someone's working on a telegraph, but no airships or gatling guns yet). Europe is one of the world's more backwards spots: north of Mediterranean areas under African influence, it's mostly still pagan in the old-fashioned, non-doctrinal manner, and is mostly wee kingdoms, the Celts retaining their old skills at political fragmentation, and German unification not aided by multiple brutal steppe invasion into the heart of Europe. The most advanced are the Scandinavians, whose old Germanic viking faith has been somewhat systematized by African influence (they've also mostly given up human sacrifice), and whose military kit is about on a Peak Pre-modern Ottomans level: enough to discourage Africans, so far.

Slavery is normal in this world, and the plantations of Ioruba north *America and the Amurizag *Caribbean require fresh recruits. The biggest source of slaves is Europe, prisoners of war taken in Celt on German/Celt on Celt/German on Slav wars, the Turkish Khans selling off rebellious subject peoples, or the product of Jutlander slave raiding (something the *Danes have recently expanded to positively industrial scales). The Suihon/Swedish Empire does some raiding on the crumbling Slavic and Finnish edges of the Turkish empire, but it's a smaller scale - and necessarily more cautious - enterprise.

Persia, like the far east, is considered semi-civilized by Africans, having worked hard to keep up with the Egyptian Joneses over the centuries, and currently is in an expansionist phase, although unless something badly weakens Khemet they will probably go after softer targets to the north and East. India has been much invaded, with no Muslims but plenty of Zoroastrians and followers of the rather non-pacifist Turkish version of Buddhism. China has been divided into north and south for a long time: the border occasionally moves north or south, but reunion is looking rather unlikely at this stage.

Asides from Zoroastrianism, various flavors of Buddhism, and a rather different Jewish diaspora, the Tungusic rulers of north China follow a syncretic religion derived from Mongol shamanism, south China is as OTL Buddhist and Confucian but also a very mystical brand of Daoism, and much of Africa follows a monotheist religion founded by an Arab prophet who found no supporters in his homeland but did rather better in Aksum/Ethiopia. (It's about as similar to OTL Islam as OTL Islam is to Mormonism.) The Ioruba follow a systematized paganism, with their calendar dating from the supposed founding of their ancient capital by a semi-divine being: the Kwilu Federation has a dozen major religions.

I've made the colony on the OTL US west coast (whose name I stole from Tormsen) Japanese rather than Chinese, not out of Japan-wankery, but because frankly I think a China interested enough in overseas affairs to set up colonies on the other side of the Pacific is going to be rather more disruptive to African global dominance than the Japanese doing so would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.