Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
First Post don't bully pls
post no.1.png

The Lands of Coal and Salt: Central North America in 20xx

ok so I'm thinking of making my first (official) timeline around a simple question: what if the osage stayed in ohio?
obviously, it doesn't change a lot outside north america, but it does, however, change almost everything east of the rockies.
The POD is that the Iroquois have a major decline, so the Osage stays in Ohio, but the other 4 tribes still move, since they begin to hunt their land too much. The osage, over a course of ~600 years, begin major Agriculture and metal working advancements, and they become the power in the region. They got an alliance with the British in the 1700s, which actually stuck until the Grand War, where the British were defeated and the royal family fled to Canada, turning it into a New Britain, at the cost of the Quebecois and first nations.
upload_2019-11-30_1-4-10.png

Aephlera_topography_clip.png

Fantasy world topography! A work in progress view of Aephlera, one of the Wormhole Worlds from the Great Big Worlda Collaborative Project, and previously a standalone project of its own.

Still playing around with styles, but my first completed map for Hail, Britannia:

nbtnwBK.png
Just keep in mind the Galveston Hurricane in 1900. Nearly wiped out the city. As far as capitals go there would be some space constraints as well, though I suppose nothing too major, since it is hardly like it would be a national capital. I see in your thread Galveston is only mentioned once, in reference to an election win. Houston apparently got a lot of investors and business scared away from Galveston after it was nearly leveled, so... Well, just things for you to keep in mind for if you do any posts Texas. I also feel Sante Fe is too close to the edges or states, when it was originally the center of New Mexico, and as one of the largest cities back then it would have had the hinterland in its own state. Also the issue of... Whould Texas really want to call Arizona New Mexico? They have half of the original from before independence, but... Hmmm, I don't know. Ahhh, fun fact. New Mexico is actually named after the Valley of Mexico, and had the name over a century before Mexican independence. I would guess you were trying to keep New Mexico away from the border with Mexico, but then it seems like naming that one place Nueces instead of Rio Grande would almost be like waving a red flag to a bull. And Gulf of Cortez.... I cannot see the Mexicans, Californians, or Texans wanting to use the name of him for that. It might go against their own nationalist policies. Come to think of it, how does Texas have so much land? They needed the US to back them to get most of what they got IOTL, and I feel it would be impractical for them to invade westward repeatedly. Suppose it might be one of those things you need to read to find out.

Bytor

Monthly Donor
Still playing around with styles, but my first completed map for Hail, Britannia:

How did Texas stave off bankruptcy and not want to get get annexed by a more powerful nation that would assume that debt for them in order to be able to expand like that?​

A World (Alphabetic ISOTs)
I'm not really sure why I made this when I already have a lot of pre-existing WIPs rotting in a folder waiting to be completed, but I did it anyway, because my hellish brain can't go a week without wanting to start a new project. Thus, I decided to do my own take on one of those "countries are sorted alphabetically and sent to various virgin Earths" things. (Very original, I know.) As is probably pretty obvious, this was inspired by Beedok's take on the same idea, the main difference being that I decided to alphabetize countries by their endonyms. For instance, the United States of America goes to the "A" world, while Armenia goes to the "H" world due to its endonym being "Hayastan." If a country had more than one endonym, I just went with whichever one was listed first on its Wikipedia article.

At any rate, let's get this started with the "A" world! Some of the inspiration for the Afghanistan part of the map was taken from here. I don't know when anything else in this series will be finished, if ever, because I've learned by now not to overestimate myself, but they're almost certainly not going to be in order.

Afghanistan
Andorra
Angola
Antigua and Barbuda
Argentina
Australia
Azerbaijan
Bahrain
Iraq
Jordan
Morocco
Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic
Saudi Arabia
Sudan
United Arab Emirates
United States of America
Yemen

A few questions:

What are the populations of America, Australia, the Middle East, Argentina, Africa, and Amerokorea?

and... Why so many non-A countries in the mix?

A few questions:

What are the populations of America, Australia, the Middle East, Argentina, Africa, and Amerokorea?

and... Why so many non-A countries in the mix?

I'm not really sure about specifics, but America's population is probably just under a billion, Australia's closer to sixty thousand, the Middle East is probably around 200-300 million, Argentina is about 150 million, Africa is closing in on 200 million, and Amerokorea is about 10-20 million. The countries that don't start with A in English were included because I alphabetized the countries by their endonyms instead of their English exonyms- for example, Morocco's endonym is "Amerruk."

I'm not really sure about specifics, but America's population is probably just under a billion, Australia's closer to sixty thousand, the Middle East is probably around 200-300 million, Argentina is about 150 million, Africa is closing in on 200 million, and Amerokorea is about 10-20 million. The countries that don't start with A in English were included because I alphabetized the countries by their endonyms instead of their English exonyms- for example, Morocco's endonym is "Amerruk."

So Germany will be in the D world and not the G world for example, right?

Edit: also what will you do if the country has different lettered endonyms in different official languages?

So Germany will be in the D world and not the G world for example, right?

Edit: also what will you do if the country has different lettered endonyms in different official languages?

Yes, Germany will be in the D world. If a country has endonyms that start with different letters, I'll just go with whichever one is spoken by more of the population.

Just keep in mind the Galveston Hurricane in 1900. Nearly wiped out the city. As far as capitals go there would be some space constraints as well, though I suppose nothing too major, since it is hardly like it would be a national capital. I see in your thread Galveston is only mentioned once, in reference to an election win. Houston apparently got a lot of investors and business scared away from Galveston after it was nearly leveled, so... Well, just things for you to keep in mind for if you do any posts Texas. I also feel Sante Fe is too close to the edges or states, when it was originally the center of New Mexico, and as one of the largest cities back then it would have had the hinterland in its own state. Also the issue of... Whould Texas really want to call Arizona New Mexico? They have half of the original from before independence, but... Hmmm, I don't know. Ahhh, fun fact. New Mexico is actually named after the Valley of Mexico, and had the name over a century before Mexican independence. I would guess you were trying to keep New Mexico away from the border with Mexico, but then it seems like naming that one place Nueces instead of Rio Grande would almost be like waving a red flag to a bull. And Gulf of Cortez.... I cannot see the Mexicans, Californians, or Texans wanting to use the name of him for that. It might go against their own nationalist policies. Come to think of it, how does Texas have so much land? They needed the US to back them to get most of what they got IOTL, and I feel it would be impractical for them to invade westward repeatedly. Suppose it might be one of those things you need to read to find out.

How did Texas stave off bankruptcy and not want to get get annexed by a more powerful nation that would assume that debt for them in order to be able to expand like that?​

You could, like, read the Hail Britannia thread for some answers, including a Texas outline post HERE. While I'm not the author, what I can tell you on behalf of @LeinadB93 is you are working from some faulty conclusions on the origin and entire relationship of Texas via-a-vis the British Empire, not to mention land grabs post-Great War.

Status
Not open for further replies.