Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Industrialization of Europe, before the Paneuropean Revolution (1851)
Untitled2.png

Further industrialization after the revolutions (1880)
Untitled3.png

Factory symbols indicate a major industrial area.

The Paneuropean Revolution was a critical moment in the history of Europe, and arguably an inevitable result of the failure of the French Revolution. At the Congress of Vienna in 1814, Napoleon I was deposed and his son Napoleon II was enthroned in his place as Emperor of the French. He was constantly under the supervision of Friedrich von Gentz, until Gentz's death in 1832. Napoleon II died soon after, in 1836, but not before supporting the Polish rebels in their war of independence from personal union with Russia and conquering Egypt from the Ottomans. Aside from the independence of the Polish Commonwealth and Kingdom of Greece, the Congress of Europe remained fairly constant between 1814 and 1851. However, in 1851, nearly half a century of peasant and workers' frustrations toward the Bonaparte-Habsburg order erupted and swept away the Viennese system. A Parliament of Paneuropea convened at Munich on May 5 and declared a Paneuropean Republic. Popular revolts and mutinies among liberal segments of the military forced the Austrian emperor to abdicate, and von Wessenburg to resign as chancellor. After a relatively bloodless year of civil unrest, depositions, and abdications, central Europe was united as a federal republic modeled after the United States. In the south, a similar process happened in Italy, and revolutionaries drove the Pope and the Italian president, Maximilian von Habsburg, off their thrones. Aurelius Saffi of the Action Party proclaimed the restoration of the Roman Republic on March 20, 1853. In a panic, France, Spain, Britain, Russia and the Netherlands formed an alliance to contain the new Paneuropean Republic for fear that it may try to attack them or annex Rome or Greater Serbia. However, despite a standoff between 1853 and 1855, no war came. In 1880 though, war seems to be an increasingly likely possibility. Paneuropea has allied with Rome and made friendly gestures toward the Ottoman Empire, and possesses the single largest army in Europe. To the other European powers, this is a shocking disruption to the balance of power. It is unlikely that they will allow Paneuropea to stand for much longer. Military inventions such as the machine gun, barbed wire, and repeating rifle have revolutionized warfare, and conscription has caused armies to grow into the millions. Like Europe's cities, war has been industrialized, as the great powers will soon discover.

Edit: changed "billions" to "millions".

View attachment 499344

View attachment 499352

The Paneuropean Revolution was a critical moment in the history of Europe, and arguably an inevitable result of the failure of the French Revolution. At the Congress of Vienna in 1814, Napoleon I was deposed and his son Napoleon II was enthroned in his place as Emperor of the French. He was constantly under the supervision of Friedrich von Gentz, until Gentz's death in 1832. Napoleon II died soon after, in 1836, but not before supporting the Polish rebels in their war of independence from personal union with Russia and conquering Egypt from the Ottomans. Aside from the independence of the Polish Commonwealth and Kingdom of Greece, the Congress of Europe remained fairly constant between 1814 and 1851. However, in 1851, nearly half a century of peasant and workers' frustrations toward the Bonaparte-Habsburg order erupted and swept away the Viennese system. A Parliament of Paneuropea convened at Munich on May 5 and declared a Paneuropean Republic. Popular revolts and mutinies among liberal segments of the military forced the Austrian emperor to abdicate, and von Wessenburg to resign as chancellor. After a relatively bloodless year of civil unrest, depositions, and abdications, central Europe was united as a federal republic modeled after the United States. In the south, a similar process happened in Italy, and revolutionaries drove the Pope and the Italian president, Maximilian von Habsburg, off their thrones. Aurelius Saffi of the Action Party proclaimed the restoration of the Roman Republic on March 20, 1853. In a panic, France, Spain, Britain, Russia and the Netherlands formed an alliance to contain the new Paneuropean Republic for fear that it may try to attack them or annex Rome or Greater Serbia. However, despite a standoff between 1853 and 1855, no war came. In 1880 though, war seems to be an increasingly likely possibility. Paneuropea has allied with Rome and made friendly gestures toward the Ottoman Empire, and possesses the single largest army in Europe. To the other European powers, this is a shocking disruption to the balance of power. It is unlikely that they will allow Paneuropea to stand for much longer. Military inventions such as the machine gun, barbed wire, and repeating rifle have revolutionized warfare, and conscription has caused armies to grow into the millions. Like Europe's cities, war has been industrialized, as the great powers will soon discover.

This is really good. Interesting idea, too. Do you have plans on making a follow up to this scenario?

View attachment 499344

View attachment 499352

Nice map for a Vicky 2 aesthetic with the factories. Can't wait to see Russia industrialize and steamroll over Europe.

upload_2019-11-3_18-30-18.png

The political map of the world in 1100AD inj my Dunes of the Desert timeline. Basically a non-islam timeline. Adding the religion map below (TURCS colour-coded)
upload_2019-11-3_18-31-44.png

Guys I made my first map! Leave your criticism below!

z5Q6qn6.png
Caliphate wank? It would probably behoove you to add a hard border to the edges of the empire, at least. Internal divisions and administrative structure would help it look less like a space-filling empire as well, and of course, half the fun of alternate history (in my opinion) is getting to see how butterflies spread out and affect the development of places far away from the PoD so changing up the OTL borders some would probably be a good idea, particularly in Africa.

Deleted member 123260

Caliphate wank? It would probably behoove you to add a hard border to the edges of the empire, at least. Internal divisions and administrative structure would help it look less like a space-filling empire as well, and of course, half the fun of alternate history (in my opinion) is getting to see how butterflies spread out and affect the development of places far away from the PoD so changing up the OTL borders some would probably be a good idea, particularly in Africa.

I would've but I have no idea how to go about it.

It's actually an alt-anarchist society set in the near future.

Ya know how the West has capitalism and Russia and China have communism? I feel like the Third World should have anarchism (the actual ideology not chaos). It'd be like a big black bloc.

But if you think of something better I'm down.

Deleted member 123260

Did they do an alt-Atlantropa on the Bosphorus and Dardanelles Straits? And possibly on the Suez and/or Aden Straits? Also this "nation" looks like France - do you plan a massive French Empire?

Oh no my brush size was just too big and unwieldy and I didn't have enough patience to fix it.

It's not France. I know that the colors are the same but I don't know what colors to choose for this.

I would've but I have no idea how to go about it.

It's actually an alt-anarchist society set in the near future.

Ya know how the West has capitalism and Russia and China have communism? I feel like the Third World should have anarchism (the actual ideology not chaos). It'd be like a big black bloc.

But if you think of something better I'm down.
Well. Judging by the areas you selected, some form of Islamic Third Way ideology is bound to be most popular. It also might have been a better choice to choose a basemap with the USSR in it if you wanted Russia to be Communist. Finding a PoD would probably be helpful in not only figuring out which ideology would work best for your third superpower in a tripolar Cold War world but also in figuring out how that ideology would form. Your hypothetical empire has grown(?) to encompass almost the entirety of the global Islamic community, which means if they are anarchist, it's going to be a very different type of anarchism than that found in the West.

What program are you using? There are a lot of helpful tutorials on how to use various image-editing softwares to make nice maps. Even if you've got no idea how to go about something, looking at other people's examples and trying to recreate elements that you like is probably the best way to improve.

Deleted member 123260

Well. Judging by the areas you selected, some form of Islamic Third Way ideology is bound to be most popular. It also might have been a better choice to choose a basemap with the USSR in it if you wanted Russia to be Communist. Finding a PoD would probably be helpful in not only figuring out which ideology would work best for your third superpower in a tripolar Cold War world but also in figuring out how that ideology would form. Your hypothetical empire has grown(?) to encompass almost the entirety of the global Islamic community, which means if they are anarchist, it's going to be a very different type of anarchism than that found in the West.

What program are you using? There are a lot of helpful tutorials on how to use various image-editing softwares to make nice maps. Even if you've got no idea how to go about something, looking at other people's examples and trying to recreate elements that you like is probably the best way to improve.

I used an online photo editor on my school's Chromebook.

I didn't want Russia to be Communist, I just wanted the Third World to be an ideology bloc for something in the same way the First and Second Worlds were. It's also set in the near future not the past sorry for not being more specific.

Status
Not open for further replies.