Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
So basically, Through Darkest Europe but slightly better thought out?

Sort of, but not quite. In Through Darkest Europe, the divergence is primarily philosophical, which has somewhat unpleasant implications about Islam's relationship with rationalism. In my scenario the divergence is non-specific but results in the weakening of the Byzantine Empire and its conquest by the Abbasids. Moreover, in Through Darkest Europe the setting is in the present, while in my scenario it is still 1500. Things are more technologically advanced in the Islamic world and its periphery because the main centers of technological development (China, India, and Arabia) are linked. Europe remains a backwater for 2 reasons. 1 is geographic: it is a peninsula split from continental Eurasia by a mountain range and further subdivided by mountains and inland seas. This makes it difficult for information to spread and makes trade more difficult due to the lacking transportation system. 2 is political and economic. Europe has very little to trade with the Islamic world, even less than West Africa. Furthermore, Europe's states are less willing to trade with the "heathens" for national security reasons, because of Cordoba and Rum's encroachment on Iberia, Italy, and the Balkans.

Speculating forward, by 2019/2020 it is impossible to say how far this world will have progressed. However, the power disparity between Europe and the Islamic World will probably level out by 1800. The New World is an arena for countries situated on the west coast of Eurasia to benefit from, meaning Cordoba, France, Denmark, the British states, and the HRE will benefit enormously in the coming centuries. Colonialism will not be as widespread as in OTL, with the Americas being more resistant to conquest and the other continents except Australia and Antarctica already bearing developed civilizations. Southern Europe is likely to be Islamized before 1700 (although local languages and ethnic groups are unlikely to change) and Islam will be seen as part of the Roman and Hellenic tradition in TTL. Northern Europe, however, will probably remain largely Germanic. Space travel by the 18th century is likely, due to the long history of rocketry experimentation. Medicine, especially surgery, and materials science will also be ahead of OTL. Because of improved glasswork in TTL, germ theory and the cell are likely to be discovered earlier, with genetic engineering being a possibility by the mid nineteenth century.

So, by 2019/2020, TTL will not look like Through Darkest Europe so much as it will resemble a space opera with a distinct Mughal and Arabic aesthetic, with some Mesoamerican influences.

It is nice to hear that my scenario is better thought out than published AH, though.

Dorozhand

Banned
Not my work. Found this on wikipedia and thought it was pretty neat. A map of the old estuary of the Humber showing the former sites of towns that were destroyed, as well as old coastlines and land masses that were swept away during the 1316 Grote Mandrenke, including the site of the once thriving port of Ravenser Odd and the "Raven's Tongue" sandbank that gave the town its name.

old humber.jpg

Exiled Habsburgs with dragons, Ottomans with fire magic, men and inhuman creatures from Scandinavia pouring south, into mess which was once central Europe... Winter is coming...
South India, southeast and east Asia aren´t finished (but I do not expect bigger changes), there will be some minor changes in Europe (Russia, Germany, maybe Poland) and in Africa also...
30yw GoT.png

Last edited:

ST15RM

Banned
Not my work. Found this on wikipedia and thought it was pretty neat. A map of the old estuary of the Humber showing the former sites of towns that were destroyed, as well as old coastlines and land masses that were swept away during the 1316 Grote Mandrenke, including the site of the once thriving port of Ravenser Odd and the "Raven's Tongue" sandbank that gave the town its name.

View attachment 496932
one of the towns was named by middle schoolers.

Fear Nothing But God

banner-png.493779

Political Map of the World, 2019

There's certainly still some work and revision I'd like to do on this but map making is absolutely not my strong suit and I realised it had been more than a week since I'd made any real revisions so I've decided I'm going to say sod it and just upload the world map for Fear Nothing But God in its current form so here we are.

The world in 2019;

HkvqbXJ.png

A few things need fixing, a few treaty ports are missing in India and I need to finish adding cities but for now; this is the shape of earth in the 21st century.

banner-png.493779

Fear Nothing But God:
i.The Great Revolution and the Fraternal Commonwealth
ii. The Irish Revolution and Founding Fathers

iii. World Map, 2019

Fear Nothing But God

banner-png.493779

There's certainly still some work and revision I'd like to do on this but map making is absolutely not my strong suit and I realised it had been more than a week since I'd made any real revisions so I've decided I'm going to say sod it and just upload the world map for Fear Nothing But God in its current form so here we are.

The world in 2019;

HkvqbXJ.png

A few things need fixing, a few treaty ports are missing in India and I need to finish adding cities but for now; this is the shape of earth in the 21st century.

banner-png.493779

Fear Nothing But God:

iii. World Map, 2019

WDL and RDC? And also how and what exactly are Rumelia and Anadolu (I know what the term means geographically. I mean as states in your timeline)?

Fear Nothing But God

banner-png.493779

The world in 2019;

HkvqbXJ.png

banner-png.493779

Fear Nothing But God:

iii. World Map, 2019

Awesome, that certainly is a divergent world map!

So the various « fraternal commonwealth » countries outside of Europe are the “sister commonwealth” mentionned in your first update? What are their relations with Albion and Eire?

I like that quilombos country, although surprised that this Brazil held together, and didn’t try to expend into the Amazon

Did China colonise Chuguo and dongjogtang? Or was it founded by Chinese migrants (kinda like kongsi republics)?

Why did the Portuguese go to novo Porto of all places?

I love the entryway style colonialism, so Europeans never colonised much in the hinterland. Although that Dutch java worries me, how is it today?

Gurkanistan, oh god

Really can’t wait for more of this TL!

Very interesting, and delightfully different! Are the "Genetats" French-created, and who created that "greater SW Africa?" Needs a guide to those numbered and lettered otherwise-unnamed cities in Africa.

But to follow up on TheKutKu's comment, the Quillombos OTL were villages created by black slaves fleeing into the _interior_: the Quilombo state being on the coast and most of Brazil being _inland_ from it makes little sense, unless it was created by a revolt by slaves which didn't flee and which named it after the free communities of the interior (a bit of an odd name for a country, since the word originally comes from an African word for "war camp")

Also, some of those African states don't seem to match up quite with the locations of the ethnicities involved OTL, although I suppose butterflies might have led them to move. (The Sara are mostly to the west of the Sudan, for instance)

Edit: do you have a copy of the basemap you used? This BAM doesn't match the projection of those I have.

Last edited:
The British leaving the French with such a tiny bit of their North American possessions comes close to adding insult to injury. :biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.