Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
After I do that, a message claiming that that file option will cause data loss pops up, and I have no other choice than to either cancel it or save it as an Inkscape SVG.

Does that happen when you hit save or when you try to close the file? Because if it happens when you try to close the file then it worked- if you check in your folder you should see the file saved to the file type as you did it earlier.

Thomas27

Banned
Here is map of the world in 1982 from my ah book "Au Bord de l'Abîme".
It displayed the soviet military presence in the world.
You can grab a copy on Amazon.
au_bord_de_l_abime___1982___soviet_military_abroad_by_beignetbison_ddi6t3t-fullview.jpg

Well, this map is now going global (WIP):

Blood2.png

(Damn, this took a lot of tries to upload. If I don't see the internet repairman this week, I think I shall go on a roaring raging rampage. If you hear Albuquerque mysteriously burned down, you'll know why).

After I do that, a message claiming that that file option will cause data loss pops up, and I have no other choice than to either cancel it or save it as an Inkscape SVG.
So, with regards to saving as a cairo png, you should make sure you 'Save as' so the svg remains, and you have a shiny png. The data loss is just the compression of the layers into a single flat image, as pngs don't have layers. If you were to continue, nothing would be lost in terms of visuals, but it is significantly harder to edit. However, if you have any fancier things in the file, its better to go to File and 'Export BMP'.

vytUnUH.png

I've been working to expand an idea I had about a world where France unifies Iberia, the Benelux, most of western Germany, and Italy under one crown by the 1600s, becoming what basically amounts to a new Holy Roman Empire, except instead of being ridiculously complex and decentralized, it manages to survive as a unified superstate through to the modern day. Basically, the Bourbons are the new Habsburgs, but without all that intermarrying and incest. I guess this stems from my low-key obsession (more of a fascination, really) with over-the-top and absurdly powerful monarchies. Basically, in this world, Francis I manages to win a succession of wars against the Holy Roman Empire in the sixteenth century, ending with Francis' capture of Charles V (instead of the other way around) and the dissolution of the Empire in the late 1500s/early 1600s. Afterwards, France goes along to conquer most of Western Europe, rechristening itself the Empire of Europa in the eighteenth century and colonizing massive swathes of the globe.

Nothing resembling an Enlightenment ever took place, and many monarchs still rule with an absolute hand, with representative government only present as a means of advising the king/emperor. Most of the world's largest empires have more of an aspect to democracy (Europa, because of its sheer size, Britain, because of its pre-POD path, and California), but none are anywhere close to a true democracy or republic, at least by modern standards. This is the world in 1892, the height of the Europan Empire, when they controlled roughly forty percent of the Earth's surface either under direct rule or through indirect means (as is the case with the Imperial Rhenic Confederation, the Kingdom of Jerusalem, the Kingdom of Aegyptia, the Kingdom of Quebec, and the Greek Empire).

I made a Wikibox over on that thread a few days ago, which you can see here, and I expect to go more in depth soon.

vytUnUH.png

I've been working to expand an idea I had about a world where France unifies Iberia, the Benelux, most of western Germany, and Italy under one crown by the 1600s, becoming what basically amounts to a new Holy Roman Empire, except instead of being ridiculously complex and decentralized, it manages to survive as a unified superstate through to the modern day. Basically, the Bourbons are the new Habsburgs, but without all that intermarrying and incest. I guess this stems from my low-key obsession (more of a fascination, really) with over-the-top and absurdly powerful monarchies. Basically, in this world, Francis I manages to win a succession of wars against the Holy Roman Empire in the sixteenth century, ending with Francis' capture of Charles V (instead of the other way around) and the dissolution of the Empire in the late 1500s/early 1600s. Afterwards, France goes along to conquer most of Western Europe, rechristening itself the Empire of Europa in the eighteenth century and colonizing massive swathes of the globe.

Nothing resembling an Enlightenment ever took place, and many monarchs still rule with an absolute hand, with representative government only present as a means of advising the king/emperor. Most of the world's largest empires have more of an aspect to democracy (Europa, because of its sheer size, Britain, because of its pre-POD path, and California), but none are anywhere close to a true democracy or republic, at least by modern standards. This is the world in 1892, the height of the Europan Empire, when they controlled roughly forty percent of the Earth's surface either under direct rule or through indirect means (as is the case with the Imperial Rhenic Confederation, the Kingdom of Jerusalem, the Kingdom of Aegyptia, the Kingdom of Quebec, and the Greek Empire).

I made a Wikibox over on that thread a few days ago, which you can see here, and I expect to go more in depth soon.

Brazil-Peru is something I don't think I ever saw before.
I do have several questions.
How do the British govern their landlocked African colonies? Seems to depend too much on the goodwill of other nations.
Is that a Swedish Cape?
Those are Venetian Guyana, small West African colony and East Africa and not Danish right?
Greek Kenya?
What is that Baltic nation?

A map i made for the MOTF 205 about Panhandles, the Dominion of Rhodesia in 1956:

RGRfgb6.jpg

I didn't have the inspiration to write a description this time, here's a quick writeup:

-North West Rhodesia is merged with South Rhodesia instead of Barotseland in the late 1890s

-Portugal goes bankrupt in the early 1900s and seeks a loan from the British, triggering the first Anglo-German partition plan of the portuguese colonies

-Southern Mozambique is divided between Southern Rhodesia and South Africa, while "Central Angola" is later merged with Rhodesia.

-Following WW1, German South West Africa-Angola is put under a joint South African-British occupation, then becomes a LoN protectorate under south african rule as IRL, Portugal is offered back Northern Mozambique and Angola in compensation for entering the war against the central powers in 1917, these would become Portuguese Mozambique and Portuguese Zaire on the map. the British Central Africa is formed from North-Eastern Rhodesia and Nyasaland in the late 40s

-The larger size of Rhodesia along with the presence of two large ports and the copperbelt mines (once discovered) massively change the settler dynamics of Rhodesia, there is a larger need for skilled working class whites to work in Mines, ports and oversee plantations in the new lowland of Mozambique and Angola. Rhodesia has less of a "upper class anglo" character, and has less strict immigration requirement, a few hundred of thousands of additional whites migrate there during the 1930s to 1950s, including many British who would have gone to South Africa IRL, along with jews, germans, czech.

-In cities, compared to IRL, the lower income requirement for tax and voting allow somewhat more black african to vote, instead of hundreds of Africans who can vote as IRL in the 50s (that would only become a few thousands by the 70s), over a dozen thousand can already vote, creating an actual, small, black middle class, life for the majority of Urban native african isn't much better than IRL however, if anything, the larger number of working class whites means that there are less jobs for them, and more are in deep poverty.

-Land appointment is not significiantly different than IRL, Rural native african still have to either work in white owned farms, or get the worse land available, compared to IRL, rural africans in Central Mozambique and Central Angola is somewhat better as they have higher pay and slightly better legal protection than under a portuguese colonial government, this is counterbalanced by the fact that Rural areas are more exploited than IRL (particularly in eastern angola), and as a result many Native African who would have stayed in a traditional structure IRL are forced to take on wage work and become part in the capitalistic economy. The "elongated" shape of the country also has the unfortunate result that many Native African have to travel hundreds, or even thousands of kilometers to reach the economically dynamic areas in the copperbelt for exemple, separating them even more from their Traditional society.

-Rhodesia was officialy made a Dominion in 1956, the same year as South Africa quits the Commonwealth ITTL.

Deviantart link https://www.deviantart.com/thekutku/art/The-Dominion-of-Rhodesia-1956-816624969

Last edited:

Skallagrim

Banned
I guess he read the same book on drawing state borders Stalin did?

He actually drew none of the borders seen here (except maybe some German involvement in establishing independent Georgia and Armenia counts). Most of what this map shows is the result of British (post-)colonial strategy and general British foreign policy "brilliance".

SouthAmericaREVAMP.png

So I wanted to do a revamp of South America in my universe that works towards defying the cartography tropes AH falls to, including a dominant country in the eastern end of the continent. (Não sei do que você está falando.) In my effort, I also wanted to make this map more diverse in terms of history and the choices certain powers took to get the exploitation out of this continent they want.

DISCLAIMER: I will be having some details of these countries that deal with the Atlantic slave trade and racism. I hope my depiction at least paints it in a fair light.

Organizing these nations from their respective colonizing empires:

Great Britain, deciding to come towards the more temperate end of the continent, have found that the River Plate can be the ideal place to have a highly profitable colony similar to the colonies of North America. It has proven to become a highly profitable colony, despite very racist policies that incentivized settlement towards the North to exploit the Southern Amazon and eradicate natives. Today, with 130 million citizens, Plate is the most prestigious country in South America having a GDP of $1 trillion USD.

Spain (more like Castille), heavily invested in the search for El Dorado after coming in contact with the Muisca culture, was planning to search, and even colonize, the Amazon, where even if they don't find El Dorado in the dense jungle, they could exploit it to control a timber supply for building a great navy. The Spanish Empire in South America extended from Colombia to Upper Peru, with small exclaves in the Caribbean. This empire came at a cost, however, as the Spanish had to take the Amazon away from the Portuguese during the Papal Wars. During the Revolutionary years, where Spain was in its own revolution, the Empire fractured and came to divide into (from west to east) Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Madura (pink island in New Holland), Lingor (between New Holland and Federmannia), Nueva Jaen, Upper Peru, and Amazona. A rare occasion of settlement in the New World happened during the 19th century where Peruvian settlers moved to the modern day San Juan Republic in former Patagonian territory. In 1894, the San Juan Independence Movement came to be when the recent Peruvian immigrants felt their rights were being revoked during the Patagonian government's Provincial Reformation Act which saw the region's political power being waived over to the federal government. The region became a burden to the Patagonian government so they saw a conference to negotiate San Juanian independence. In 1899, the Republic is its own sovereign nation, with good relations with Patagonia and Plate lasting today.

An expedition funded by Salzburg that got the Klien Venedig colony started (now called Federmannia) soon became a subject for the Holy Roman Empire's gains in America. Despite significant funds from some North German states, the massive influx of colonists were only South Germans, including Bavarians, Wurtembergers, and Austrians. The capital city, New Ulm, prides itself as the best city in South America, having the highest quality of life, most access to cheap if not free education, and bolsters an environment that allows small businesses to thrive.

The Crown of Aragon began its ambitions in America after hearing legends of El Dorado circulating from Castillan sources. The Catalan-heavy populations of conquistadors and servants began their expeditions and having motivations to get away from Europe. After El Dorado quests died down, promotions to develop and occupy the lands from the Guyana coast and into the Amazon were convincing thousands of Catalan peasants, merchants, and engineers to go to the colony of Nova Barcelona. Patagonia was colonized but disputed until the Treaty of Madrid in 1557, at the end of the Papal Wars, was ratified where the Pope called for Aragonese legitimacy over Patagonia while the Spanish would have legitimacy over the Amazon and the Portuguese would have no legitimacy over any of America in favor of the Spanish. During the Spanish Revolution and the First French Revolutionary War, Aragon was in a precarious position where they could not maintain control over Nova Barcelona while the threats of Spanish revolutionaries and the French invasion forced Valencia to abandon the colony along with its colonies of Hondures and Cuba. The resulting independence movements had the colonies free from Aragonese rule. In the 20th century, a syndicalist commune rose to power in the Amazonian province of Nova Barcelona and the Nova Barcelonian Civil War had the independence of the Amazon Commune won. Out of the colonies, Patagonia is the most successful being the second most prosperous nation in South America behind Plate, with a GDP of $435 billion USD.

Denmark had turned their ambitions from the North Atlantic to move abroad, trying to copy the Portuguese model of exploration and colonization, almost gaining the same success as the Portuguese did in exploration with many islands in the Indian Ocean being discovered along with the more successful exploitation of Bandiaterra, and Danish Guyana, better known as Lokono today. Lokono is the pride of the Danish crown and despite a rocky history with assimilation of the natives being forced to speak Danish, the country still has good relations with her mother country, today part of the federation of Scandinavia. Established in 1962, Lokono has a fairly healthy economy and quietly resides as a tourist destination.

France barely made any progress outside of Canada, which was taken up by Britain during the Last Continental War, which for the acquisition for Normandy, Brittany, and Bordeaux, the French agreed to cede Canada, allowing British hegemony over North America. However, they would still be able to keep French Guyana, today known as Parikwene, and Atlantique, two islands in the Azores Archipelago now under German sovereignty. Not only was the territory established as a refuge for pirates but almost poetically for the royal family in the country's darkest hours. The French Revolution had Parikwene residing as a refuge once more until in 1773, after five years of asylum in Parikwene, the royal family was assassinated by Revolution sympathizers. For the duration of the French Revolutionary Wars, Britain had a port leased in agreement for protection of the territory as independence movements in South America were heating up the Spanish Empire. Today, Parikwene enjoys a similar economic situation as Lokono and is part of the Guyana Economic Community.

Great Guinea, as named by the European powers, was first contacted by the Portuguese in their expeditions, and seeing this European maritime power that established a flow of information that allowed the Guineans to see the wider world brought many inspiring ideas of establishing their own maritime empire. Going off of the Portuguese discovery of Brazil, the Guineans built a navy and an expeditionary patrol to claim Brazil, now known in the Yoruba exonym, Igipupa, named after the brazilwood trees. The Guineans were able to maintain control over this colony through its exportation of slaves. A highly debated topic between historians was how the Guinean colony was able to be preserved asserted that the Europeans allowed Guinean hegemony over this corner of the continent for being generously supplied slaves, which provided a large amount of wealth which fed back to the colony's security and development. In the dark history of the slave trade, it was calculated that about 70% of colonists in Igipupa were brought across the Atlantic under slavery. Trans-Atlantic slave trade ended between a British-Guinean treaty before a conflict escalated to war in 1815 where slaves would no longer be transported across the Atlantic allegedly to decrease piracy. At the same time, the Guinean Industrial Revolution was coming, as part of the greater Ethiopian Industrial Revolution, as started in the Kingdom of Ethiopia. A British-Guinean Cooperation Treaty was later signed in 1833, where disputes between Plate and Igipupa would cease. This cooperation would also gain Great Guinea some industrial knowledge the British gained and it helped Igipupa develop far faster. Slavery was abolished in the Guinean Empire cordially with the British in 1840 and the slaves in the Empire were admitted as equal citizens. Today, Igipupa is a relatively healthy economy, being the 4th most prosperous nation in the continent, behind Patagonia, at $223 billion USD. However, the nation is far from being anything near being a well-maintained country, as corruption that began in the 1980s during an oil crisis still brews within the country today.

The Dutch have pulled significant gains across the world, copying the Portuguese model as the Danes did, but they moved to pore their resources in building and maintaining New Holland. The area was originally four colonies of Friesland, Haag, Nieuw Brussel, and Rijnland, and each contributed great power to Amsterdam in the sugar trade. Expeditions to the East Indies brought coffee and spices that can be grown in the colonies as well, which allowed the Dutch greater power and didn't need to traverse the world so much to get to their Spice Islands. The Guinean Trans-Atlantic slave trade gave the Dutch low-cost labor that fueled the development of the colonies led to problematic relations between the white settlers and the African New-Hollanders in the nation similar to the American South. This tension has lasted today where underprivileged classes still face prejudice. This dark history of New Holland is held on the shoulders of its citizens today, but many strides have been made after Council voted in bills to give African New-Hollanders rights to be more equal citizens. By 2012, many improvements have been made but according to the University of Raleigh (US) Prejudicial Census, New Holland is still one of the most socially prejudicial countries in the New World, ranking at 2nd behind Hondures (for its own reasons of class, gender, and homosexual prejudice). Despite this grating societal tension, New Holland boasts the 3rd largest economy in South America, being the dominant economy in the Caribbean, as well as being the martial power of the Caribbean alongside the US.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.