Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 101966

unknown.png

upload_2019-9-20_20-9-25.png

W.I.P

basic premise is the Franco-Toucouleur War goes more in aims of the Toucouleurs. Adding to this the Taiping Rebellion would rapidly escalate resulting in the utter destruction of southern china, the Qing still exist, moderately. This leads to a more successful indian uprising of 1857 caused by the encirclement of British counter-offensives at Delhi and other major cities, which eventually forced the british government into a "tactical retreat" which, once shown to the public was a common disgrace, leading to the eventual downfall of the United Kingdom.

Deleted member 101966

That’s this isn’t it? Very sleek and simple.
Yes, this is indeed an epic 2016 DeviantArt post self-reference. Well spotted, I'll spill the rest of the beans.

The British American Republic is Canada as a foul gulag state, founded sometime in the 1930s. Initially loyal to the Western Allies, it has profitably exploited a postwar Anglo-American rift, and the authorities in Washington find its continued existence to be a useful enough provocation against the Europeans. A nuclear power ever since the Rutherford-1 test lit up the Manitoban tundra in 1963, the country's low-quality arsenal mostly finds remarkable civilian use in the mining sector, although its intercontinental Sedna missiles have threatened London and Paris since the mid-90s.

I don't really like trucking in shitty timelines, but whenever I take a remote sensing class, I spend a lot of time thinking about all the ways I can creatively mis-interpret satellite imagery. (Anyway, the B.A.R.'s brand of totalitarianism is too quirky to rank as complete fascism - bilingualism is mandatory for counter-intelligence reasons, and the ruling junta is mostly just concerned with turning the country into a completely made-up picture of imperial nostalgia.) The sudden transition between fields and forest in this picture is real, but for a much more boring reason: it's the northern border of Riding Mountain National Park, a few hundred kms north of the 49th.

The Dragon And The Tiger

FV9roFC.png

For aeons, the Dynastic Cycle has slowly spun on as surely as the Earth around the Sun. The powers that be in China rose like a phoenix from the ashes of their predecessors, stood tall and mighty, but inevitably declined and, eventually, dissolved into the very embers from which it had been birthed. It was this that was certain, through thick and thin, as empires rose and monarchs fell, as lands were conquered and the oceans explored. And the Cycle kept at it even as the center of power shifted from the dynasties of the East to the kings of the West. But nothing is infallible--nothing human, that is--and in the twilight of the nineteenth century, it seemed as though the Dynastic Cycle could no longer sustain itself. The Great Qing, ruled by invader Manchus since 1636, was a mere shadow of itself, though the people did not merely call for a new emperor to be seated on the Dragon Throne. Many called for the installment of a distinctly Western form of government: a democracy. Naturally, there was the opposition. No one wanted the mangled corpse of the Qing to be in power any longer, but as in all Chinese revolutions, there was always a wannabe emperor and his court. This role was filled by Sun Yat-Sen and his Band of Thieves, who wanted nothing more than to behead the Xuantong Emperor at the steps of the Forbidden City and crush the European-backed democratic forces, who supported the continued desecration of China's corpse by the British, French, German, and Russian vultures for their own economic benefit. In fact, the Band of Thieves achieved all of this. On December 31, 1912, the Golden Empire of Han China obliterated its resistors and put in power Sun Yat-Sen, the Tàiyáng Emperor.

The West was not happy. They had failed to keep their Eastern trade open, and so they set their sights on the Rising Sun of Asia, Japan, though not with conquest in mind. The West still wanted China, not the polytheistic and resource-barren rocks that made Japan. Money, armaments, and goods pumped in and out of Kobe, Nagoya, Osaka, Tokyo and Yokohama at astronomical speed. When the Great War came and France and Russia were humiliated in the face of the Anglo-German alliance, Japan quickly snapped up the Dutch East Indies and German Pacific holdings while China went to war in India and came out victorious. Decades passed and Europe declined, by 1983 leaving behind in its wake three sleeping giants and one massive cold war: the Golden Empire of Han China; Japan's Greater East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere; and the United States of America and its Monroe Pact. Each have their own strengths, but all are nuclear. Trouble is, the Japanese and the Chinese might actually press the button.

God save them all.

Decades passed and Europe declined, by 1983 leaving behind in its wake three sleeping giants and one massive cold war: the Golden Empire of Han China; Japan's Greater East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere; and the United States of America and its Monroe Pact. Each have their own strengths, but all are nuclear. Trouble is, the Japanese and the Chinese might actually press the button.

What's the year of the map?

It's a good beginning ! but i would be overjoyed if the bathymetry could appear just like in your map (https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/attachments/toposkin10-png.488082/) or just like this other map (https://www.deviantart.com/dinospain/art/2K-BAM-Altimetry-and-Bathimetry-813598268)

Still, thank you for your work because you're the only one who tries to help me on this project

Untitled.png

So I thought of my map featuring a greener Australia and I thought "hey, why not we have the Amazon Basin, but 3x more Amazon!"

So the megafauna have someplace to hide and this continent would become a great attraction for monster flicks, monster novellas, and some video games taking a far cry from reality where you can tame the megafauna.

Free to use in your own Green Australia QBAM! All for the low price of forfeiting your local eucalyptus trees!

View attachment 489421
So I thought of my map featuring a greener Australia and I thought "hey, why not we have the Amazon Basin, but 3x more Amazon!"

So the megafauna have someplace to hide and this continent would become a great attraction for monster flicks, monster novellas, and some video games taking a far cry from reality where you can tame the megafauna.

Free to use in your own Green Australia QBAM! All for the low price of forfeiting your local eucalyptus trees!
Should I take it the largest lakes in the east are flowing eastward? Otherwise they would need to go up mountains to reach that small area on the coast. That or take a shortcut south.

Crossposting from my TL, https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...nze-the-shaping-of-fusania-and-beyond.466988/
https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...nze-the-shaping-of-fusania-and-beyond.466988/
LyXVkft.png

Experimenting a bit with mapping, not sure how I was going to do this one. But it's an attempt at a map of Fusanian cultures around the early 11th century, so chronologically and thematically it fits somewhere around Chapter XI here. I feel it's better to present maps of Fusania oriented with the Pacific at the bottom to minimise wasted space.

I've used endonyms (some of which have not yet been given in the text) in almost every case I could, although for some related groups I was unable to (for instance, the alt-Pomoans I've called "Knokhtaic" after their shared holy site, while the alt-Chumashans are referred to by their Chinese exonym I've given in the text "Chuma"). Some level of detail is lost for places like Oasisamerica and the alt-Fremont Culture, which I haven't yet gotten much into plotting out where they fit in this TL. All caps refers to geographic areas (islands or peninsulas).

And now, a Colonial map of Africa in my francewank alt-hist setting. (map was made in a hurry, not everyone is included in the Legend. sorry!)

upload_2019-9-21_16-34-35.png

Contrary to our timeline, Britain doesnt dominate the Dark Continent. Instead, France swoops in and takes a large swath of land, because the British were busy fighting each other (again). The Netherlands and the dual monarchy of Germany also have large colonies, and Spain seems to have seized control over the coastal areas of West Africa.
Also worth noting is that Italy has a few colies, Togo and Cameroon. they arent great colonies, but the Italians are at least happy that France has'nt outright destroyed them for this. Poland also has a small part of Angola, given to them by Germany because it was worthless at the time of colonization, and to satify the Polish Colonial Dream.
Britain has 3 unprofitable colonies; Senegal, Liberia and Upper Kenya. the fact that these colonies bring more trouble than they are worth only fuels the Cromwellist British "revenge policy" against France.

Attachments

• upload_2019-9-21_16-33-52.png
    upload_2019-9-21_16-33-52.png
    39.6 KB · Views: 286
Status
Not open for further replies.