Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
A climate map for a terraformed Mars. A very rough climate map, because I couldn't find an elevation worlda to work with and because I'm not a climatologist, so I welcome any corrections

upload_2019-9-3_13-5-52.png

Dark Blue: Tropical Rainforest
Blue-Grey: Monsoon Climate
Medium Blue: Savannah
Orange: Hot Steppe
Red: Hot Desert
Yellow: Mediterranean
Pale Green: Humid Subtropical (slightly darker in mountainous regions)
Pink: Cold Desert
Pale Orange: Cold Steppe
Light Turquoise: Humid Continental
Medium Green: Maritime
Grey-Green: Mountainous Maritime Climate
Dark Green: Temperate Rainforest
Dark Turquoise: Subarctic Continental
Light Grey: Polar Tundra
Dark Grey: Mountain Tundra
White: Ice Caps

I was thinking about Neustria keeping Germanic-speaking during middle ages and until today. So I thought "what if Lower Frankish has been established in OTL northern France during the centuries?" and I came up with this:

20190903 Nuystrië.png

Paris is not Pari(j)s here, the name of Neustria's capital is Lutijs.
OTL eastern Netherlands are part of Germany in this mini-TL.

Maybe not the most super-realistic idea, but I hope you like it anyway.
Ah, and yes: Occitania (Oxitania here) is independent, since the 14th century.

I don't normally post WIPs but I've been working on... something on and off for the last few months and recently hit a roadblock. I can't decide on which version of the New World I like better and keep going back and forth between the two, so maybe some outside opinions could help me decide on one or the other.

which_one.png

I was thinking about Neustria keeping Germanic-speaking during middle ages and until today. So I thought "what if Lower Frankish has been established in OTL northern France during the centuries?" and I came up with this:

View attachment 485199

Independent Occitania makes the dismemberment of France all worth it in the end.

I don't think this would reach into Burgundy though. It's a pretty old and established place with its independent history at the time when the Frankish culture would have spread. I could see it being outright independent? Britany is also likely to be a tough nut to crack culturally.

I don't normally post WIPs but I've been working on... something on and off for the last few months and recently hit a roadblock. I can't decide on which version of the New World I like better and keep going back and forth between the two, so maybe some outside opinions could help me decide on one or the other.

which_one.png
i think the first one is better imo

which_one.png
Second one as its continental position/behaviour seems more realistic to me, especially in regards to florida/the island chain in the first one.

Skallagrim

Banned

The first/left one is superior. It seems more realistic in a geographical sense. Note that if you keep the Bahamas where they are, though, you might want to add another chain of islands linking them to "super-Bermuda". In OTL, they are skirting up towards Florida, but without Florida there, they wouldn't exist like that. Making them part of a chain that extends towards Bermuda makes it seem like the result of tectonic plates, and that makes it look very credible and convincing.

It also makes the region more interesting from a sea-faring/exploration point of view.

Created this Map as a Neocon Version of Wolfenstein The New Order.

ddf4kyg-8fb9ee11-bf8b-458f-9093-8d01488bc466.png

This United States is a Hyper-Conservative Fundamentalist State under the rule of President William "Crossbones" Stuart (The Deathshead Counterpart). While Stuart comes across as a Fundamentalist, the reality is that he is probably only using Religion to justify his own excuse for Power. For example, Stuart's propaganda claims that the new America is a Meritocracy, when in reality, this new state is just Stuart's Fiefdom, an Empire where his word is law and he can do as he pleases.

It all started during the War on Terror when Bush decided to invade Iraq. This move was criticized by many, but the invasion had a secret purpose. One of Bush's top advisors, an ancient, enigmatic man who gained the name "General Crossbones" due to his advanced age and unsettling demeanor. A Military Man, Stuart was a staunch patriot, and he had been doing research on the secrets of the world, and he found an ancient Babylonian map that indicated a treasure trove underneath what was now Baghdad. Under the cover of "Securing WMDs" Stuart and his team moved in and found the secret chamber mentioned on the map. In the Chamber was a Treasure Trove even better than Stuart imagined, Technology beyond what any country in the world had at the time. Referred to as "Stargates" by some of the men on Stuart's team, these contraptions would be the basis for Stuart's new War Machines.

Before the world knew it, The Middle East was under the Stars and Stripes. Bush was initially furious at the sudden and illegal invasion of Saudi Arabia and other allies in the region, until Stuart showed the American People evidence that these "Allies" were actually working with the Terrorists all along. And from there, more and more of the world fell under American Control, with growing paranoia of terrorists everywhere eventually evolving into a new Worldwide Drug Campaign that saw Mexico fall under American Jurisdiction, which eventually evolved into a worldwide Peacekeeping campaign which resulted in most of the Third World falling under US Control. As of the Present Day, only Europe and China remain truly free of American control. Eventually, many began to realize that, in their effort to preserve American freedom, the Government was actually stifling it. While Stuart was subtly influencing Bush during his presidency, and McCain later on, he would eventually run the "Empire" openly after running for presidency and winning by a landslide vote.

It would be under Stuart's presidency that the rest of the Free World would be turned against the Empire of Freedom. During the New Manifest Destiny Era, Many who disagreed with the Coalition's increasingly restrictive policies, with many artists and other media being censored for being Un-American. Many fled North to Canada, which eventually became a bastion for opposition against Stuart's empire. And when Stuart himself came into office, he decided to bring an end to the "Canadian Injustice," which resulted in an invasion that ended in only a week. This sudden and "Illegal" invasion of a Neutral Nation brought the UK to declare war on the US, which resulted in them too being absorbed into Stuart's Empire.

By now, Stuart had reshaped America by removing any values he saw as "Un-American" such as Left-wing Economics, Sex-ed, and alot of Proven Sciences. He also banned most of the other Political Parties in the US, starting with Left-wing Parties such as the Democrats and the Greens, but eventually moving on to include the Libertarians as well, after they called him out on overstepping his power. He also began the "Family Values" program, which aimed to bring back the old Family Values of America by destroying Separation of church and state, putting Women back in the traditional position of Homemaker and Child bearer, outlawing any form of Birth Control or Abortion, and reversing the Sexual Revolution in general, as well as reducing LGBTQ folks to Second-Class Citizens. Moreover, he expanded the Patriot Act to even more Orwellian Levels. In the process, Stuart made the Land of the Free into one of the most Draconian Societies the world has ever seen.

Some notes, Will be updated gradually:

• Stuart dislikes the idea of Canada getting too many senators, so he has split it up into Three States. Toronto is still a hotbed for resistance. Turns out, alot of the people who tried to escape Stuart by hiding in Canada would be brought back behind American Borders by annexing Canada. Good move Stuart...
  • Cuba is being Scrubbed clean of Communist Imagery and has become a popular vacation spot for those who think Hawaii is too far away.
  • Brazil, while technically apart of the Union, is actually given alot of autonomy, with the Catholic Church being given alot of power in the region.
  • Argentina and Chile were allowed to remain independent, under the condition that the American Market within their borders would be unimpeded by them. Since the other option was invasion, the two government were forced to concede
  • A large portion of the Amazon has been put under Corporate Control, Who cares about a bunch of Insects and Trees anyways?
  • Britain is undergoing extensive Americanization. American English is to be implemented on the population, with British English expected to be extinct within 30 years. Despite this, many cultural institutions such as the British Royal Family are allowed to remain.
  • Visegrad is America's other watchdog over in Europe. While ostensibly independent, America has been subtly influencing the Visegrad Nations, encouraging them to Americanize, with decent success, to the point that English is practically a Second Language in the nations.

Last edited:
Oh back in the woods of Vazzy land

I’d catch me a fat wild turkey

And cook and clean it all so’well

It’d make some tasty jerky

In Vazzy land there fish and foul

An’ all that good ol’ stuff

When a mans start breathing forest air

He’ll never get enough

So it's a'hey (he-hay) ho (he-ho)

I’m going back to vazzy!

We’ll sip a cup’a brandy in the place we all call home

And its a hey (he-hay) ho (he-ho)

Back to the grand old homeland

I’m a Zantine boy no matta’ how far I roam

All t’way back in sixty se’en

Will fought for the folks

When Gen’ral Sheridan looked about

He thought that we were jokes

But we licked in the woodlands

And we got’im at the hill

And we may have died

But then in eighty-five

We fought back and came out alive

And since then we been livin’ still

So hey (he-hay) ho (he-ho)

I’m going back to Vazzy!

We’ll fight for our great homeland everyday

I’m a Zantine boy no matta’ what they may say

(fiddle interlude)

So I went down to New Orleans

where I met a fine lady

She asked me ‘bout my funky ways

It clearly drove her cra’y

I told her of those forest hills

That’d make you feel a’right

She told me then to stay in town

And maybe spend the night

I told her hey (he-hey) ho (he-ho)

I’ll be headed back to Vazzy

This great big city ain’t nothin to my home

I’ll be back down at my farmhouse

I’m a Zantine boy no matta’ how far I roam

So hey (he-hay) ho (he-ho)

I’m going back to vazzy!

We’ll sip a cup’a brandy in the place we all call home

I’m a Zantine boy no matta’ how far I roooaaaammmm!

-Zantine Boy by Dave Holmann, 1933

I’m thinking about making a one-off timeline or graphic thing about the history of Van Zandt and the regions surrounding it. Tell me what you thing and I’ll elaborate further on the subject.
Van Zandt.png
The First War.png

Sounds like some... CATHARS!

aa2.jpg

View attachment 485199

Wouldn't Austrasia be a better candidate for a Germanic speaking nation in old Gaul? From what I recollect, Neustria is a result of the domain of Soissons being conquered by Clovis.

Status
Not open for further replies.