Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
@rexnerdorum that's a cool map, and accompanying writeup. I'd honestly love to see more of the setting some day, as it really captured my imagination. About the lunar flashes...My first thought was that it was some sort of morse code or binary thing, but I couldn't make sense of it with either. You saying that there's no robots/AI on Earth specifically in an earlier post has me intrigued though. Rather than human survivors, perhaps we're dealing with ancient tech on the Moon?

I sounds to me like there are still survivors up there, signaling the Earth with flashes of light.

@rexnerdorum that's a cool map, and accompanying writeup. I'd honestly love to see more of the setting some day, as it really captured my imagination. About the lunar flashes...My first thought was that it was some sort of morse code or binary thing, but I couldn't make sense of it with either. You saying that there's no robots/AI on Earth specifically in an earlier post has me intrigued though. Rather than human survivors, perhaps we're dealing with ancient tech on the Moon?

So yeah, I should probably make a thread for this and replicate the comments there so we don't clutter this space here.

If I were in a moon colony without the hope of resupply and only enough return rockets to get a tenth of the population to Earth (or 1/20th to Mars), I might want to do something cool before I die. You know that reflector experiment left on the moon by Apollo 11? Well, perhaps that gave the moon colonists an idea. With their remaining industrial base (much of which was destroyed in The War) and the components to all those telescopes being built on the lunar farside (even better than Mauna Kea!), perhaps they could create a message, built to last through the centuries (and millennia), formed from the reflections of the sun at lunar sunset, with these flashes directed back to Earth.

They could even set it up to send different sets of flashes to different parts of Earth, automatically, just by varying the geometry (not even needing moving mirrors!). This would force people to explore the Earth to get the whole message.

As people noticed the flashes, they might be curious enough to build telescopes to observe them in greater detail (thus promoting the development of technology). Even more reflectors could be deployed, with each set smaller than the last but having more separate mirrors to increase the data. With the mirrors from just a couple crater-sized telescopes, they could create a very large message!

But what to say... what to say...?
NEW THREAD IS UP. HEAD HERE:
https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/florida-ictoria-in-6500-ad.473949/

Last edited:
upload_2019-8-26_15-57-35.png
Alright so, heres what i'm thinking. An Angrezi raj and a "Free India" nation aswell as numerous other indian nations. Now, I'm not sure about the backstory to the Raj, so, how about I ask you guys? should it be like south africa apartheid or an exiled britian apartheid?

south african apartheid meaning something like a british crown member would eventually split the raj from britian proper and would establish a apartheid state which later moderately collapses in on itself, but stays intact for the most part.

exiled britian is kinda obvious

And of course there is the formerly Ottoman Empire. They seek to expand, but the question is which direction to do it in. With the ongoing succession crisis that is about to erupt into civil war, that direction will be determined - though how long they'll be able to continue expanding after the War of the Turkish succession remains to be seen. For now, they have been acquiring lands to the south in East Africa, and creating vassal states like the Nubian Sultanate of Rumbek.

Can explain why shall be a succesion war in O.E? what happened to House of Osman? Krim Khns unable to take over?
Interested.

View attachment 483295Alright so, heres what i'm thinking. An Angrezi raj and a "Free India" nation aswell as numerous other indian nations. Now, I'm not sure about the backstory to the Raj, so, how about I ask you guys? should it be like south africa apartheid or an exiled britian apartheid?

south african apartheid meaning something like a british crown member would eventually split the raj from britian proper and would establish a apartheid state which later moderately collapses in on itself, but stays intact for the most part.

exiled britian is kinda obvious
The Tunguska Meteor of 1908 hits and thoroughly obliterates London instead, and the empire suffers a partial collapse?

Norther Ahikto for the year 1800.
The Year is 1800 and the world is currently in a major war known as the 'Great war of 1792' As the major powers fight off the world is in awe as the new century comes to give people hope that the war won't last forever. Most nations are cowering up hoping they don't get hit in the crosshairs of the Halit Empire, the largest empire in the world who started the great war.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The World on 1st, May 1800
Ahikto_North_1800.jpg

View attachment 483337 This is my very first attempt at an alternate history map, here is an alternate Scramble For Africa, circa 1914.
This is pretty good, but I don't see how some of the great powers got shafted by smaller ones. France, Germany, and Britain would get the Lion's share of the land, one would assume (every other power had land in Africa to avoid war, as Portugal already owned the territory they did and Belgium obtained it for Neutrality). Sweden and Denmark wouldn't be able to get all that much, and the Dutch wouldn't be able to keep a hold of South Africa.

Last edited:
In this universe, the great powers agree on allowing the middle powers to claim more land in Africa in order to provide a supposedly "balanced" and "fair" partition of the continent. This is the result of a much later industrialization, around 1850, so the idea of "survival of the fittest" isn't as widely renounced, and nationalism/jingoism takes longer to manifest. A Hohenzollern ascends to the Spanish throne, Sweden and Denmark invest heavily in naval power, and Greece sees a national revival and celebration of ethnic heroes such as Alexander the Great.
If a Hohenzollern was on the Spanish throne, why would they take Southern Morocco instead of Germany? Reminder Morocco took a while to colonize IOTL, and Germany always wanted it.

Yes, Germany would want to colonize it, however, because Spain is ruled by a Prussian, its military and government would adhere to the rigorously disciplined Prussian model, thus advancing Spain further than in OTL. This means that Spain is economically and politically stronger, and has more of a voice during the conference.
A Hohenzollern on the Spanish throne would be recent (most likely), so I assume they'd be more a lapdog to Germany.

Yes, Germany would want to colonize it, however, because Spain is ruled by a Prussian, its military and government would adhere to the rigorously disciplined Prussian model, thus advancing Spain further than in OTL. This means that Spain is economically and politically stronger, and has more of a voice during the conference.
Firstly, the Hohenzollern candidate was very distantly related to the Prussian monarchy (If I remember correctly, their closest ancestor through the male line was all the way back in the 1200's). Secondly, just because a monarch wants reforms, doesn't mean they'll go through. Especially since the Spanish monarchs have to deal with like a dozen different factions.

Status
Not open for further replies.