Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
CfouT4t.jpg

PNG on DeviantArt

Hello, all! Here is my latest map. I apologize for the short description, as it is for a larger story I want to tell in the form of a timeline posted on my website and here as well called Spurious Transmissions: Tales From Another World. For now, I hope a bit of backstory will suffice.

Essentially, a slightly less turbulent early administration of Ulysses S. Grant but problems later in his second term cause Grant early on to not consider running in 1876. A number of men jump in for the Republican nomination, but eventually it is Benjamin Bristow who emerges victorious. He runs on a more lively ticket that gives him an edge over our own world's Hayes, and he wins 1876 handily with promises of a new, fresh start on the economy. He also is willing to apply pressure on the states not finished Reconstructing, namely South Carolina, Florida, and Louisiana. He is unwilling to let the states fall and indeed in 1876 through 1877 all three states see Republicans re-elected and federal troops stepping in against violence.

Bristow’s willingness to use the powers at his will to enforce Reconstruction and Republicans recapturing the House so as to control all houses of federal government causes a shift in the south. More and more over time, “Redeemer” whites leave the three states for other southern states in which the local rule is more friendly, if not as harsh as our own world due to federal intervention. Similarly, northern whites living in the south and freedmen move in increasing numbers to these three states, effectively transferring populations over time. For a time, this keeps the peace and Bristow goes on to win a second term as economic difficulties largely subside by 1880. By this time, the three "Libertalian" states as they had been nicknamed had become increasingly set in stone and would continue to be to the modern day, with unique government, demographics, politics, and religion in their wakes.

From there, the South takes a number of twists and turns from this position to the modern era, as does the United States itself as it rises from the Gilded Age to a brighter modern era. Modern America is a global power, though not alone in its place, with a sphere of influence in the Americas and partners in trade and politics around the world, competing with powers such as China and Russia for dominance on a global stage as one of the powers to arise from the wars in the middle of the previous century. Again, I apologize for the shortness of the description, and hope the backstory and the details of the map will suffice, and questions are welcome!

Information on Utah and other subjects provided by the awesome @Zioneer , rail map provided by my awesome friend Robyn (not a member here)!

Last edited:
SV.png

I made again North America(and a bit of S.A as well)
I change the name of American parties and divided the north-west in more states.

Here a brief introduction:

Local time 1905

This is a preview of a possible map.

Its, obviously, a Confederate Victory map.

The divergence is at Gettysburg, where Union army is defeated by Confederates, thanks to Stonewall Jackson surving Chancellorsville, bringing to a French intervention in the war.
Thanks to Frech military power the Confederacy is able to take back New Orleans and then marching toward Washington.
The in 1864, McClellan, the new president of the Union ask for a cease fire and started tractatives.

In 1868, Lincoln take back the precidency on a social and radical abolitionism platform, and Democratic party dissolve to be the party of "peace with traitors"
In the south Jefferson Davies pratically ruled as a military tyrant refusing to relinquish the presidential emergency powers after victory(and refusing to obbey the Syprem Court that ruled that his mandate eneded in 1866 and not in 1868 as he wanted) , until 1869, when a military coup organized by Lee and other militaries bring him down.
CSA and Mexico become an appendage of new Napolenic Empire, this moving Britain and Prussia togheder alongside the USA.

The Spain crisis of 1871 was a litmus paper for the new Alliances.
With a limitated war in Europe, America is too tired to partecipate if not with some river ironclad clashes and sea battles; Prussia was unable to gain the victory of Homeline, but with british help was able to unificate German states in a less centralizated(and perhaps more free) German Federation.
While Napoleon III accurse the role of new treath to Europe.

1889 Fashoda bring very near to a World War, and only the rejection to military intervention from the Tsar avoided a much greater clash.
A limited clash between Usa and CSA and France and Britain bring to a limitated exchange of territories.
Some colonies in Africa and West Virgina/south Missouri in America

1898, with French help, the Confederate Junta(officially CSA is still a democracy, but army and navy officers have the true power from the coup of 1869) declared war against spain.
Again Usa and Britain entered in the war against CSA and France.
Again the war is avoided by Russia refusing to attack central Asia.
Again the war lead to a limited exchange of territories.
Spain agreed to cede Bahamas to USA and Cuba to CSA, but gain Guayana from France and some minor isles bt Britain.

Now, in 1907 the tension is rising again.
France of Victor Napoleon V is trying to take control of Marocco, an african kingdom that German Federation belives to be its own.
Menwhile, this time, Russia, seeing a weak Austria(a strong British ally) and Britain with multiples interests in many areas of the world, could declare war to London and march alongside Paris.
On both banks of Potomac rifles are ringing again, menwhile the two american nations are ready to march one against the other-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CSA is a strange country: A technological power house where military and soldatry is everywhere.
Slavery was abolished in 1890(after Brasil did, leaving the CSA the only slaveholder state in the world...a burden to much heavy to bring also for Richmond), but Replaced by such tight control laws as to make South African apartheid look like a summer game for children.
The National Democratic Party controls the political life of CSA since by election of 1871, the little opposition parties are there only to show to the world that Richmond is not ruled by a Tsar...something that does not always succeed.

USA is a much modern country than its HL equivalent of that period.
The disappearence of Democratic party, and the decisive turning to the left operate by Repubblican party, lead to the born two new parties, with a three party system n wich the parties, often, play one each against the other.
The United Federal Party, which is a centrist party, often fighting to state rights, and the right-winger American Continental Party, which has an aggressive foreing policy(expecially against CSA) and is for free enterprise and radical civil rights.

So the only difference in the territorial extent of the United States is that Hawaii was not annexed?
Essentially yeah, it's more a difference with internal borders, Puerto Rico being a state, etc. With a POD in the 1870s the continental US is already where it is today, so outside of internal differences not a ton to do barring further annexations.

Warning
By most moderate, conservative estimates Cretans have stockpiled a completely illegal arsenal of about 600.000 to 1.000.000 firearms, including about 100.000 AK-47s. With the corresponding amount of ammunition. Accidental and not-so-accidental firearm casualties are a daily issue, as is unwarranted firearm violence upon domestic animals. Any potential aggression will be most certainly met with genocidal levels of reprisal. And I may still be downplaying the violence about to occur.

SgfKoqd.png

The Vaterworld
-or-
How The Sausage Gets Made
This is a sequel/spiritual successor to my earlier map, And They Shall Eat Cake. It's an Imperial Germany wank of epic proportions. The POD is that Napoleon manages to stay rooted in Europe for a longer period of time, and is only kicked out in the late-1820s. During that time, Austria and Prussia unite to better defend against the French menace, and after the war to remove Nappy they annex the Confederation of the Rhine and Saxony and the like. The new German Empire quickly ascends in power, as Britain keeps to itself for the most part during a time of isolationism resulting from running at top speed for decades to take down the House of Bonapartes. The Germans install a friendly monarch in Paris, fix up the Iberian Confederation, fight a war in Russia that manages to not stretch into the winter, Scandinavia unifies and the US breaks down... the whole world except for Germany basically goes down the toilet, really. The map takes place in 1927, the centennial of the removal of the Bonapartes from Europe and the rise of the Habsburgs as the continent's royal family of choice. The main opposition to Germany is, of course, Britain, though Brazil and Russia aren't the friendliest either.

I'm really enjoying these subdivision-filled wank maps! Trouble is, I don't really know what country to do next. I'm thinking either Britain or Mexico. Which one you guys would like to see first?

Last edited:
I'm really enjoying these subdivision-filled wank maps! Trouble is, I don't really know what country to do next. I'm thinking either Britain or Mexico. Which one you guys would like to see first?

I would love to see a Mexicowank, especially of these proportions!

Also, what is it like to live in the Indisches Reich?

These are really excellent and well-designed! I'd love to see one of these for Mexico. :)

Britwanks are pretty common, so I'd like to see a Mexico wank as well. Out of curiosity though, could it be an imperial Mexico under the Iturbides?

SgfKoqd.png

The Vaterworld
-or-
This is a sequel/spiritual successor to my earlier map, And They Shall Eat Cake. It's an Imperial Germany wank of epic proportions. The POD is that Napoleon manages to stay rooted in Europe for a longer period of time, and is only kicked out in the late-1820s. During that time, Austria and Prussia unite to better defend against the French menace, and after the war to remove Nappy they annex the Confederation of the Rhine and Saxony and the like. The new German Empire quickly ascends in power, as Britain keeps to itself for the most part during a time of isolationism resulting from running at top speed for decades to take down the House of Bonapartes. The Germans install a friendly monarch in Paris, fix up the Iberian Confederation, fight a war in Russia that manages to not stretch into the winter, Scandinavia unifies and the US breaks down... the whole world except for Germany basically goes down the toilet, really. The map takes place in 1927, the centennial of the removal of the Bonapartes from Europe and the rise of the Habsburgs as the continent's royal family of choice. The main opposition to Germany is, of course, Britain, though Brazil and Russia aren't the friendliest either.

US

SgfKoqd.png

The Vaterworld
-or-

Mexicanos, al grito de guerra! El acero aprestad y el bridón~

Boy do I enjoy seeing a good ol' Mexiwank

Not exactly but it includes a federated European union
Question: why are Japan, China, Korea, and Vietnam--three countries that despise each other as though the other countries are run by the Devil himself--unified in one pan-Asian superstate, and yet the UK--still technically in the EU and having very friendly relations with the continent--is for some reason too good for the European Union?

Seriously man, you need to spend more time on projects, instead of shitting out kinda bland shit like this. Space-fillers, as a whole, tend not to be very fun unless they have a rich backstory. You need to explain why the most diverse continent on Earth united but still has colonial borders. You need to explain why, as @HeX mentioned:

Question: why are Japan, China, Korea, and Vietnam--three countries that despise each other as though the other countries are run by the Devil himself--unified in one pan-Asian superstate, and yet the UK--still technically in the EU and having very friendly relations with the continent--is for some reason too good for the European Union?
, as this is probably the least believable thing as a whole. Spacefilling empires take a lot of effort to make right. The British Empire was nearing looking like a boring space-filler at its peak, however it's still interesting to look through, because of the turmoil that the natives caused. I know the advice is "show, don't tell", but space-filling empires have to tell the reader "Oh hey, the massive behemoth is about to fucking fall apart", or just have so many revolts you barely see the main colour on the map.

The empires, to me at least, don't even seem to be that good. In a world where there's a bunch of Spacefillers running around like they own the place, why wouldn't the U.S annex Canada? I know it's cliche, but space-filling empires do tend to be that so why leave one of the most powerful countries in the world out when they border another Anglo Nation? It's more realistic than the United Latin America that exists in this TL. (Brazil? Uniting with nations speaking a different language? Really?)

Also, please use the WIP map thread to post maps that are not complete. We need to make new people more aware of the thread, as it'd save a lot of terrible maps from being placed in an area without much constructive critique.

*Lotsa good snipped points*

I think what separates an interesting map featuring massive nations and a boring map full of space-filling empires is subdivisions. I don't mean to toot my own horn here or whatever, but my German Empire-wank I just posted has a lot of internal borders in it. That's because without them, I would have just painted half the surface of the Earth silver and called it a day. With subdivisions, a map goes from acceptable to excellent, as long as the added lines make physical/political/ethnolinguistical sense.

Posting a map where you colored Asia red and drew internal borders where the national borders had been is just lazy.

Quality over quantity, @Karlmarx900.

Status
Not open for further replies.