Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
And here's the finished balkanization map, which... is a thing. I'll be making a Space-Filling Empire map out of this tomorrow

View attachment 476991
I'm curious how the Northwest Territory (population 44,000), Nunavut (population 38,000), and the Yukon (population 32,000) would function as independent states when they all together have less people living in them than the state of Wyoming. Same goes for those bits of Siberia and the Australian outback.

Also, I recommend you split up Japan a little more, even if it's just separating Hokkaido. Same goes for Africa and Europe, which both have many independence movements at play in them (Catalonia, Bavaria, Darfur, etc).

ARA.png

Map of the Alianza de Repúblicas Americanas members and future members. June 2038

It's been awhile since we've had a good meme on this thread, so might as well try to start one.
I present (shamelessly inspired by that Ethiopia map from a few pages ago), YUGOSLAV ME!!!
View attachment 477003
On the left, the Caucus Confederacy (because alliteration is fun).
On the right, the states formed after it collapsed.
Slovenia = Abkhazia
Croatia = Georgia
Montenegro = Dagestan
Serbia = Armenia
Bosnia-Herzegovina = Azerbaijan
Macedonia = Western Azerbaijan
Oh boy I can't wait for repetitive and blatantly uninteresting maps to flood the thread

ah well both people so far have been pretty good

Memes like that just clog the thread and rob attention from honestly good posts. If anyone likes throwing around map memes, do it in the right thread.
Agreed. The weeks where people were posting shitty maps from when they were younger were some of the worst weeks on the thread.

Map of the northern European islands in 3 CA (Combined Age), from a scenario where multiple different political entities are transported to an untouched Earth and forced to fight for survival. These entities come from many different timelines and eras, ranging from "What if the Soviet Union broke up 2 days early?" to "What if aliens gave super space tech to Belgium in World War I?". Lore for each entity is in that huge wall of text on the right.
also i just realized i forgot the lore for vestmannaeyjar, please ignore that
mjqqgrvdrqd31.png

Last edited:
Fun little side project I'll be working on when I want to, By Any Other Name. Essentially it's me taking a preexisting state and making it... weirder. Usually this will be achieved by governments-in-exile, but maybe not all of them. This one is the United Kingdom, the next one might be something like a Turkic USSR, though I only have vague ideas as to how this would happen, and not so much how I could map it. Hope you enjoy!!
by_any_other_name_i.png

No Broadway. I am offended!

No Statue of Liberty either, I'm afraid. It's one of those things you only catch after you've uploaded your map.

There's no Staten Island Zone either which is actually an intentional omission on my part for once: I just liked the idea of the park designers refusing to acknowledge the lived experiences of people who'd been extirpated from their homes in the course its construction...

And here's the finished balkanization map, which... is a thing. I'll be making a Space-Filling Empire map out of this tomorrow

View attachment 476991
Oh dear. Seems the Najavo swallowed up the Hopi. Plus they either got back or never lost the Chekerboard area, which is almost impossible to put on maps anyways. I feel Lakotah is too big, as given IOTL when some people claimed independence for it, not that many cared, a fair amount of other tribes pointed out they were claiming the land of other groups. I also wonder if Southern Brazil should be th part that is more split in that country. Depends on if you plan on having any story or map key connected to it. I always find it fun when timelines or maps had Italian majority countries down there. Reminds me I should read up Male Rising again. Hopefully my mentioning that doesn't do the equivalent of asking people how often they breathe.

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm curious how the Northwest Territory (population 44,000), Nunavut (population 38,000), and the Yukon (population 32,000) would function as independent states when they all together have less people living in them than the state of Wyoming. Same goes for those bits of Siberia and the Australian outback.

Also, I recommend you split up Japan a little more, even if it's just separating Hokkaido. Same goes for Africa and Europe, which both have many independence movements at play in them (Catalonia, Bavaria, Darfur, etc).

I was only balkanizing a few select countries - specifically, ones that were relatively big and had subvisions in the 2017 worlda from this thread so I'd have something to go on. If I was going for balkanization in general I would have balkanized a lot more countries as well. That is a good point about the low populations densities that I didn't consider, though. Admittedly, I wasn't trying to be realistic with this map, but I'll keep it in mind for a few more reasonable map ideas I have, so thanks.

Oh dear. Seems the Najavo swallowed up the Hopi. Plus they either got back or never lost the Chekerboard area, which is almost impossible to put on maps anyways. I feel Lakotah is too big, as given IOTL when some people claimed independence for it, not that many cared, a fair amount of other tribes pointed out they were claiming the land of other groups. I also wonder if Southern Brazil should be th part that is more split in that country. Depends on if you plan on having any story or map key connected to it. I always find it fun when timelines or maps had Italian majority countries down there. Reminds me I should read up Male Rising again. Hopefully my mentioning that doesn't do the equivalent of asking people how often they breathe.

I was thinking that the Hopi and the Navajo united peacefully. As for Lakotah, I didn't know one of the objections was that they were claiming other groups' land. Thanks for pointing that out, I'll keep it in mind when I do more plausible maps. And I didn't have anything that interesting in mind for Southern Brazil, but if there are TLs with that premise I might check them out

I also finished making new Space-Filling Empires out of that map and came out with this:

upload_2019-8-1_14-21-38.png

Technically there's a Polwank here as well but I'd say its more of a generally Central and Eastern European Intermarium.. Also, I changed the colour of one of the country in the Middle East make it clear that its a resurgent Persian Empire not a Randomid Caliphate, although to be honest this many large empires would probably be unstable and implausible anyway.

And yeah, like I said, this isn't really a serious project so much as 'I had this idea a while ago and I have to put it somewhere other than my head so I can do something with the rest of the ideas my brain comes up with.'

Last edited:

Aurantiacis

Gone Fishin'
Map of the northern European islands in 3 CA (Combined Age), from a scenario where multiple different political entities are transported to an untouched Earth and forced to fight for survival. These entities come from many different timelines and eras, ranging from "What if the Soviet Union broke up 2 days early?" to "What if aliens gave super space tech to Belgium in World War I?". Lore for each entity is in that huge wall of text on the right.
also i just realized i forgot the lore for vestmannaeyjar, please ignore that
mjqqgrvdrqd31.png

This is pretty amazing! Lots of untapped areas getting a little spotlight.

Technically there's a Polwank here as well but I'd say its more of a generally Central and Eastern European Intermarium.. Also, I changed the colour of one of the country in the Middle East make it clear that its a resurgent Persian Empire not a Randomid Caliphate, although to be honest this many large empires would probably be unstable and implausible anyway.
Considering the Poles supposedly asked for less land than the Soviets were offering after the Polish-Soviet War so they could digest and keep the lands they gained Polish... Yah, your idea seems about right. Though I like to think that everything that used to be part of the Soviet Union and is pink on this map is part o the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, but just didn't get colored. And I think the Persians would do something in Tajikistan. Just cultural ties and all that. Might not be worth the effort for them.

How to split Guinea between Fulani and Malinke with minimal bellyaching from both parts: look up which sub-prefectures in the Dabola, Diguinraye and Faranah prefectures are mostly located in the river basins of either the Senegal or the Niger. Those within the former go to the Fulani, the ones inside the latter go to the Malinke.

This partition is also consistent with results of Guinea's 2010 elections, at the prefecture level.

Last edited:
ARA 2.png

Map of the Alianza de Repúblicas Americanas, September 2046

The Alliance of American Republics, also known as the Alliance or the AAR, is the most successful latin american integration agency of all times. Its beginnings date back to the 2030's, when the countries of Mexico, Colombia, Chile and Peru, founding nations of the Pacific Alliance, signed the Cooperation Treaty for the Development of the American Republics, where the 4 signatory republics of the treaty pledged to work together on 4 main areas; the fight against corruption and drug trafficking; the diversification of economy and the creation of a strong and competitive economic zone; sustaniable development and fight against climate change; and the resolution of the various problems that have traditionally affected latin american nations, such as access to education, housing, sewer services, among others.

The European Union was taken as a model in order to achieve these objectives, also the Alliance governments started to use artificial intelligence for planification and decision making; the later plus the creation of a Latin American Parliament that works totally independent from national interests and focused in the socio-economic development of the Alliance, were the bases of what would become in one of the most prosperous supranational organization of the century.

Over the years, various countries of the region have been incorporated, the only requirements are 1) be a free and democratic government that respects civil freedom and human rights, 2) be enganged in the fight against climate change and 3) be enganged in the fight against corruption and drug trafficking.

Status
Not open for further replies.