Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
An experiment I did in Civilization V (with the Future Worlds mod and Yet (not) Another Earth Maps Pack v24): an AI-only match with 21 civs, with points of divergence at turns 1, 150, 300, 450, and 600 (epic speed). Butterflies ensue.

gxgBRqo.png

Last edited:
unknown.png

Planning ahead for my TL and decided to start a simple map of the US to have in my head. Featuring an even weaker US railroad system resulting in less Midwest settlement; current year is 1905.
If the premise of your map is that the US has a weaker railroad system, you might want to not give America the Gadsden Purchase. That land grab was solely to expand the railroads.

If the premise of your map is that the US has a weaker railroad system, you might want to not give America the Gadsden Purchase. That land grab was solely to expand the railroads.

There's not a complete lack of railroads; mainly there are only two major ones crossing the US; the South one (Which uses the Gadson Purchase) and the Central one, which mainly crosses through North Jefferson.

I thought having only one rail would be unrealistic, and those two are the ones that interfere the least with Reservations which sticking somewhat close to their original designs.

Additionally for lore reasons I didn't quite explain, the Gadson Purchase was much cheaper (Compensation for French Influence in Mexico)

Anyway, full map covering worldwide operations of BOAC (and its sister airline, the National French Air National Outre-Mer) below:

Aah! Badly fragmented USA! Hiss! Boo! :closedtongue:

(More seriously, that north America seems to require early enough PODs that the African and Middle Eastern borders should be less OTL than they are)

Isaac Beach

Banned
Aah! Badly fragmented USA! Hiss! Boo! :closedtongue:

(More seriously, that north America seems to require early enough PODs that the African and Middle Eastern borders should be less OTL than they are)

Actually, if I recall correctly those are internal borders of a sort of USSR equivalent (except maybe southern Texas, my memory’s fuzzy), so no fragmentation here!

EDIT: (Oh no! I’m meant to have gallantly left the site! Oh well)

Actually, if I recall correctly those are internal borders of a sort of USSR equivalent (except maybe southern Texas, my memory’s fuzzy), so no fragmentation here!

EDIT: (Oh no! I’m meant to have gallantly left the site! Oh well)
Nothing's more gallant on the Internet than correcting someone and peacing out of there. Adios, señor, have fun with... life, I guess.

Nothing's more gallant on the Internet than correcting someone and peacing out of there. Adios, señor, have fun with... life, I guess.

Life can be pretty fun. I hear some people can get high off it.
And I don't mind if HATFAN drops by occasionally to dispense wisdom. (Didn't connect those maps with each other: in my defense, we've had quite a few creative maps lately and it's hard to keep them all straight).

ddcbw5k-a8250c59-813d-4eec-b985-43b7b094ae62.png

USA vs CUSSA, freedom against slavery, industrialization and protectionism against plantations and free trade. The confrontation of two nations existing in the ruins of the First Republic of the United States determined the history of North America in the second half of the nineteenth century.
PoD: President Zachary Taylor did not die, and instead of the Compromise of 1850 there was a civil war that ended with the separation of the Confederate Union of Southern States of America (CUSSA)

Tyrolian War of Independence

ddbfpoc-4fa6c24e-54d9-402f-9ef8-eee297883fbe.png

Enjoy fellow cartography swines

I love the map, but there are a few criticisms, the place names, I would suggest either making all the place name German, or letting them follow local majorities. Right now it’s mess with the names following the modern borders.

Another minor critic are the fact that East Tyrol aren’t included.

At last I would make it clear whether the OTL modern border you have kept on the map, show the end results or not.

Last edited:
This one's a bit different from what I usually post, but here's a rough, unfinished, climate map for Vulcan from Star Trek (at the moment, I've only done the tropical climates - tropical rainforest, monsoon climates, savannah, hot steppes, and hot deserts):

View attachment 474641

I don't know how accurate that is with the show, I'm just trying to figure out what it would realistically look like. It's still shaping up to mostly be a desert planet, and I can see there'll be a decent amount of cold deserts and cold steppes when I get to those too. I also extended the deserts and hot steppes closer to the equator under the assumption that Vulcan's drier than Earth overall., and I shrank the rainforests for the same reason.

I couldn't find a good basemap for Vulcan, so I'm using this as a template: https://wiki.starbase118.net/wiki/index.php?title=File:Vulcan_map.jpg

And here's the finished product:

upload_2019-7-23_11-27-38.png

There's a decent amount of cold deserts and cold steppes in the subtropical regions. The Mediterranean climates - which are also where the oldest agricultural civilisations on Vulcan are likely to be - are especially prone to wildfires. Because Vulcan is hotter than Earth overall there are no polar climates so everything in the polar circle is either a subarctic continental climate - like Siberia - or the coldest parts of the humid continental climates. Speaking of which, the humid continental regions (light blue) here are almost entirely praire-like (although probably shrubland rather than grassland), with some forests nearer the oceanic climates (green). Even the oceanic regions are on the drier side, as are the humid subtropical regions (light green).

It didn't really turn out being a desert planet, but I'd say it's close enough while still being realistic. Most of the land is still either a desert, a steppe, or some other dry biome

Thoughts?

instead of the Compromise of 1850 there was a civil war
Great map, but the 1850's was a decade of armament by the southern states. They could see the writing on the wall and were preparing for the worst. If a war broke out in 1850, the south would be stomped hard.

Skallagrim

Banned
Great map, but the 1850's was a decade of armament by the southern states. They could see the writing on the wall and were preparing for the worst. If a war broke out in 1850, the south would be stomped hard.

Which is why the South was utterly ill-prepared when the war came, and hastily had to implement all sorts of drastic (and ludicrously unconsititutional) measures to get ready for war?

Nah, I don't buy your claim here. The Southern states were certainly aware of the writing on the wall, but they weren't preparing themselves at all competently. What prepping they may have done is more than offset by the fact that with each passing year, the North's advantage in industrialisation, capital and pure man-power was increasing. The border states were also growing more iffy as time passed, and an earlier war increases the odds that they join the South outright (there's a decent chance that a war in 1850 sees the alt-CSA owning Washington DC from day one, while the North has to hastily reconsitute a government in Philadelphia or NYC). Finally, foreign attitudes towards slavery were growing more negative by the year.

A War of Secession in 1850 is simply a war that the South had a good chance of winning. What @Vladislav depicts is not unrealistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.