Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be super-interested in seeing the same thing with the 2010 census data--I know there are maps out there, but seeing them side-by-side would be informative.

Also interesting for me personally would be the 1900 census, so that you could do Hawai'i and Alaska, maybe. I'd be interested to see how Hawai'i compares to the mainland...I'd guess that Buddhism would be as big as in San Francisco, anyway.
The 1890 dataset included Alaska but I didn't want to draw a map from scratch. I might make a patch for it later.

I do find it curious that people are eager to regrow Mexico northward when it also included Central America down to and including Costa Rica initially.
Here in Mexico the whole idea of retaking Central America isn't as attracting as growing north. Keep in mind Central America separated on its own free will while the Southwest was forcefully taken. Also, Central Americans may be considered "our Spanish-speaking brothers" while historically (although not generally) the US is seen as "our evil cousin". Just providing an explanation.

Here in Mexico the whole idea of retaking Central America isn't as attracting as growing north. Keep in mind Central America separated on its own free will while the Southwest was forcefully taken. Also, Central Americans may be considered "our Spanish-speaking brothers" while historically (although not generally) the US is seen as "our evil cousin". Just providing an explanation.
There were several parts of northern Mexico that at various times did try to escape rule from Mexico City.

alternate_burgundian_expansion_by_kikkomaan_ddbpib7-pre.png

Just something quick for fun.

The Burgundian conflict with Flaevius Aetius in 436 is less devastating for the Burgundians, although King Gunther still dies and they are forced to relocate to Helvetia as per OTL. Events go on relatively unchanged from OTL until King Gundioc, after reuniting the Burgundians under his rule in 480, leads an attack on Syagrius's kingdom, taking it in place of the Franks. The map depicts the territorial expansion of the Burgundian Kingdom from their resettlement in 442 to the death of King Gundioc in 516.

Last edited:
Meh. Considering every other map it seems has the US tearing into all of its neighbors, it's not like giga mexico is exactly out of the norm for this thread.

It makes sense on one level. America is (geopolitically) a tough nut to crack, and an American superstate is certainly imaginable, if not a possibility in the near-medium term.

This is just a far-fetched irredentist proposal, calm down
Indeed, though actually... Hmmm, why not give it a go? Sure, Aztlan seems to most be a Chicano thing (and more for talking about the various Hispanic communities of New Mexico, Texas, California, etc rather than any wish to leave the country) but if it were to remain in Mexico I expect the borders would be quite different. Heck, Baja California might not be split in two, if you had large stages in Del Norte (hope that is spelled right). Then again? The length of Baja California probably does mean it being split in two had been a good option. Less for any political reasons and more so both states could focus on community services for their areas. There are potentials for maps of expanded Mexico, there just needs to be enough border changes and some added text in order to give it some juice. While the names may seem offensive, the Shitpost thread is good for posting in for minor joke maps, while the Proposals thread is good for irredentist stuff. I am not a map maker, but that is my general take from those threads. Heck, I remember (and copied a quoted link over) of a map someone did in the Shitpost thread that was utterly fantastic but that he didn't think was worthy of this thread. I feel everyone else disagreed.

Well, in my irredentist Mexico maps I have it establish a sphere in those places.
Considering the border disagreements many of the Central American states had with each other, Mexico certainly could be seen as a good option as protector. Just so long as they get their own house in order first. Not that I know how to do that. I really should find a history book on Mexico, though those aren't exactly common where I live. Thankfully Archive.org seems to have so much available on it.

Les Etats-Unis d'Europe

In the fifty years since its founding, the European Union (comprised of the eleven member states shown on the map below) has been variously described as a noble attempt to establish an international consensus for European peace and liberty, an essential economic and military counterweight to the sphere of the Russian Empire, a bourgeois conspiracy to ensure that the embers of Syndicalism are stamped out, and a mechanism for France to regain the commanding position in European affairs that it held from the 1930s to the 1960s.

Maeuqow.png

Skallagrim

Banned
the only sources I could find for this were really... questionable

The quoted line is a big hint that the very concept is associated with some anti-semitic conspiracy nuts.

I personally don't really give a fuck, and I assume your intentions are fine-- but if a single word brings mod attention like one page back, then posting this map is probably a bad idea. This map is going to get you in trouble purely based on some of the ideas it will get associated with, and you're likely better off if you delete it before someone inevitably drags the mods in here.

Now, this is technically an OTL map, however the only sources I could find for this were really... questionable. Despite my best efforts, there are most likely so many errors here that it may as well be an alternate timeline map.

isot2.png

Edit: Colored South Africa
Yeeaaahhhhhhhhhh. Anything that involves "Confirmed R-free before 9/11" is, uh, an interesting thing. I'm going to just assume that you're just trying to show the questionable and expansive Rothschild banking empire rather than "(((THEY))) ARE TAKING OVER REEEEEEE," which is what almost anything involving the Rothschilds involves these days.

Map of a developing scenario in which the United States is for some reason (yet to be determined) not involved in the containment of Communism and the Soviet Union. It shows the aftermath of a large scale war where Western Europe has mostly been invaded. This war would begin sometime in 1950 and end within 1 or 2 years, and would be entirely conventional.

Dark Red: Greater Soviet Union
*Mid Red: Soviet Allies (Communist or not)
Light Red: Puppet States
Gray: Not Conquered

*Syria, Iraq, and Saudi Arabia align themselves toward the Soviets after Western intervention in the Middle East. They seize British colonies in the area to secure their oil supply.
Communists win the Greek Civil War after the Soviets decide to send volunteers to fight, Therefore creating an alliance.
China and the Soviet Union form a closer alliance against the weaker West.
The British tighten control over India attempting to maintain a foothold against the Soviets, but the Indian peoples revolt with help from the Soviet Union and China, gaining independence.
Communist Europe (ACW)-min.jpg

Last edited:

SpudNutimus

Banned
Something I made for a timeline I'm writing, called Miss My Destiny, in which France wins the Seven Years War and Britain has a violent peasant revolt, before waging war on monarchist France and the other powers of Europe under Admiral Sidney Smith, along with an allied Prussia. Other features include a balkanized America, a new Conference of Westphalia in Germany after the destruction of the HRE, and a trans-Pacific fur trade between Russia, Spain, and China. This is the situation in Australia in 1840.
australiamap.png

SpudNutimus

Banned
This looks delightful. Is your timeline already being posted on the site, or are you still in the preparation stage?
I'm still in the preparation phase, unfortunately it'll probably be a good while before I have enough written to keep up with my crippling procrastination.

Something I made for a timeline I'm writing, called Miss My Destiny, in which France wins the Seven Years War and Britain has a violent peasant revolt, before waging war on monarchist France and the other powers of Europe under Admiral Sidney Smith, along with an allied Prussia. Other features include a balkanized America, a new Conference of Westphalia in Germany after the destruction of the HRE, and a trans-Pacific fur trade between Russia, Spain, and China. This is the situation in Australia in 1840.View attachment 472880
Nice map, and I really like the ideas for your TL! It feels kind of Volume One LTTW to me, and I’m really looking forward to reading it.

A Century of Randomization, Map I:

Europe after the Great War, 1917-1921

8B5AAA70-8174-4645-B2F6-4F1C27382468.png

Background: I’m doing an experimental bit of Timeline writing where I assign random values to the outcome of events, creating new potential “event chains” as the need arises (ie butterflies). This is the first map of this scenario, focusing on the critical 20th Century

War in Europe was inevitable, researchers say, as soon as Russian might was combined with French anger. The Constitutional Revolution of 1905 had stabilized Russia’s internal politicking enough for the Eastern behemoth to undertake a system of military modernization and industrialization, helped greatly by Western investments. This alarmed Germany, whose martial leadership had calculated the window of potential victory against Russia and France combined closing rapidly. However, they did not take into account Britain’s shifting priorities; as Russia grew stronger, so too did British suspicion. Now Germany seemed less a potential upsetter of the balance of power in Europe, and more a guarantor.

The British agreements with the Russians had fizzled out by 1917, and British-German cooperation was largely increased. The 1915 “Betrayal of Portugal” saw the fledgling Portuguese Republic lose her African colonies to British-Germanic machinations, sending her into a spiral that would eventually lead to a crisis in the chaotic post-war period. In turn, this alarmed the French, who viewed the expansion of German power in Africa, aided and abetted by Britain, as a threat to her own sphere of influence. She felt that Perfidious Albion had rose again to oppose her, and looked for new allies. Italy readily came to mind; froze out of the 1913 Congress of Budapest that resolved the Novi Pazar crisis and created the Triune Kingdom of Serbia-Montenegro-Albania, Italy felt no love for her erstwhile allies of Germany and Austria. Promises of Adriatic land drew the eager Italians forward.

The straw that broke the camel’s back was an incident at the disputed German-French border. French citizens gathered at the border, bellowing and yelling and insulting the alarmed German border guards. The French guards, in return, stood listlessly, smoking and laughing. What happened next was disputed; either the French citizenry rushed the border post, or the German soldiers fired across the border. Whatever the case, twelve Frenchmen were slain, and a brief exchange of fire that followed saw two French soldiers and five Germans join them. War scare rose, and Britain, trying its best to moderate fears, announced its support of the German account of affairs. This insult could not go unpublished- on June 7, 1917, the declarations of war were sent out,

Britain stayed out for the first week, until French ships in the channel misidentified a British vessel and blew it out of the water. This brought Britain into the conflict, arguably saving the Germano-Austrian alliance. For without Britain, the two would have been worn down. But with Britain, the two merely had to hold on as the British-German fleets destroyed their enemies and starved them of resources. German fortifications, built up after a transition of thought in the German High command, mowed down waves of French and Russian soldiers, who despite their advances were still incompetently led. Outside Europe, the Italian-French navies were swept from the Mediterranean and separated from their colonies. Desert trench warfare in the Egyptian-Libyan border lands saw heat exhaustion take as many lives as bullets. Fighting in the jungles of Vietnam and the plains of the Sahel, as well as the rivers of China and the wastes of Central Asia, followed.

The American war entry in 1919, under the successor to boisterous Roosevelt, Charles Evan Hughes, helped cement the end of the Franco-Russo-Italian hopes, though final offensives nearly did succeed in breaking the Austrian resolve (had not American reinforcements been rushed from the ports of Hamburg by special rail). The blistering counterattacks in the East, followed by the general confusion in Italy after the General Strike, made the writing rapidly appear on the wall. In 1921, an Armistice was signed and the war was over.

Peace negotiations would drag on for a year, but by 1922 the borders were pretty much settled. Bulgaria, the sole Balkan ally of the Germano-British (aside from Turkey, though they were arguably no longer a Balkan Power post Balkan War) greatly expanded, achieving its dream of hegemony, breaking the Triune Kingdom. The Turks, for their trouble, gained a few provinces in the Caucasus. Russia, represented by the Regency Council of the teenage Tsar Alexei, was castrated, with a “sanitary cordon” of states emerging- Finland, Livonia, Poland-Lithuania-Ruthenia, Ukraine, and Transcaucasia in Europe, Khiva and Bukhara in Central Asia.

France would get off relatively lightly territorially in the Metropole, losing a sliver of the remaining bits of Lorraine, but their foreign empire was eviscerated and divided between Germans and British. The planned “Tuareg High Chiefdom”, advocated by Lawrence of the Sahara and his allies, was not long for this world (though it does appear on this map)- greed would end it long before the decade was out. Algerie, meant to be a state under British influence, fell into civil war between Arab and French, with the British choosing race over politics and backing the Pied Noir.

Italy lost her colonies and Venetia (turned into the independent “Republic of St. Mark” under Austrian protection), and more importantly lost faith in her government. The decision to abandon Austria and Germany broke the nation, and the Italian populace made sure that their leadership knew they were unhappy. The rising tide of labor and right-wing movements would soon engulf Italy, the first of the defeated to experience the shock of radical regimes.

Though they had achieved victory, the British and Germans viewed each other with suspicion. British meddling prevented Mitteleuropa from being achieved, backed by American support for “freedom of government”. The new states to the East protected them from Russia, but aside from Livonia all ranged from ambivalence to hostility towards the Kaiser. Germany felt they had been stabbed in the back, with their gains mostly overseas (save for Luxembourg, an unfortunate fait accompli). Austria as well felt ill, with Franz Ferdinand’s dream of a Federal Empire blocked by Hungarian pride. The citizens of that Empire grew restless and tired of the gridlock in Vienna and Budapest, setting the stage for disaster.

The stage was set for even greater tragedy, and even as citizens praised the end of the “War to End All Wars”, the Angel of Death hovered just over the horizon...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.