Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get it
Loss, also referred to as loss.jpg, is an infamous page of the webcomic Ctrl+Alt+Del. It is often criticized as being a failed attempt to be edgy and mature in what is otherwise a lighthearted, humorous comic about gaming. In it, it is revealed that the main character's girlfriend has suffered a miscarriage. This is conveyed by means of a four-panel comic without dialogue. In the first panel, the main character walks through the doors of a hospital; in the second, he is shown speaking to a receptionist; in the third, to a doctor; and in the fourth, he stands at his mourning girlfriend's bedside. All dramatic effect is entirely ruined by the comic's lazy copy-paste art style and the fact that the rest of it is so different in tone. Because of this, Loss, and especially hypersimplified representations of it, have become an enduring internet meme. Such representations typically take the following form, reflecting the positions of the characters in each panel:
I II
II I_
And here's the comic itself:
Loss_comic.jpg

Last edited:
I never thought we'd see the day where somebody explains the Loss meme in the Map Thread.

Meme culture isn't nearly as widespread and commonplace as a lot of younger people think it is. I didn't understand the Loss meme until earlier this year myself. I still don't understand it really. Regardless of its origin, it's not exactly funny (and I'm not talking about the miscarriage aspect, I just mean in general it isn't actually that funny).

Meme culture isn't nearly as widespread and commonplace as a lot of younger people think it is. I didn't understand the Loss meme until earlier this year myself. I still don't understand it really. Regardless of its origin, it's not exactly funny (and I'm not talking about the miscarriage aspect, I just mean in general it isn't actually that funny).
A lot of memes have that issue where "getting the joke" is largely contingent on also knowing the surrounding context of the original meme. Outside of that, there isn't really a whole lot of substance to it.

View attachment 471373
I posted this before but now have worked on the parties. This is an alternate United States of America. USA consists of 4 "Republics" who are more independent than the states (Vermont has a Westminster System, Texas does its elections on a six year (and not 4 year) basis, Hawaii actually restored a fully ceremonial and powerless monarchy and Cuba has free education and healthcare) and have their own partial militaries (Army and Air Force for Texas and Vermont, Navy and Army for Cuba and Navy and Air Force for Hawaii); 7 "Federal Districts" (formerly territories) who have 1 senator each (and not 2) and the continental ones other than Columbia (aka DC) are basically huge reservations; and 42 "States" divided into 10 Confederations. All confederations and republics have their own party systems and federal parties only exist as big tent coalitions and for the districts. I may add some more information (especially about the parties and the names of the states, confederations and districts.). Here is the list of Confederations and States thereof.
View attachment 471376
I have Parliament diagrams for for the Republics and parties in Confederations (not parliament diagrams since every state has their own bicameral legislatures.) I have not worked on Federal legislature but I will post the Federal parties and their component Confederal and Republican parties. I can explain the abbrevations of the Parties if anyone wants.
View attachment 471377
Thanks @Skallagrim for his edit on North-South straight borders.

Edit: Just realised I forgot to recreate confederal borders between Pacifica and New Mexico. That disappeared because of the edit changing some borders in that region. Will re-edit that tomorrow.

Just corrected somethings. Have to think about some names for the southwestern districts.
USAmerica-edit.png

Federal Parties.png

States and Confederations.png

The 'Tablet of the Priestess'

Ashessaka: the 'Six Cities'

VIuhxd5.png

As with much of our understanding of the Bronze Age Danube-Dneiper complex, the precise point at which Ashessaka (literally translating, in Early Dneiper, to “the Six Cities”) ceased to be a loose confederation of city-states and became a civilization in its own right is a matter of considerable debate.

The process of state development seems to have begun around 1650 BC, with references in Egyptian stele from that time referring to “the six cities of the North” in contacts which suggest that some rudimentary unification had occurred: nevertheless, no single king or priest is described as the ruler of Ashessaka. It is likely that the unification of the Six Cities occurred organically over time, as the artificial city of Isalŋessa (constructed on a lake, and holding an estimated 55,000 people by 1500 BC) became increasingly important as a religious and political centre for the confederation, and a dedicated bureaucracy emerged to manage tributes and gifts paid between settlements and cities.

It is clear, in any case, that the linguistic divergence between Proto-Danubian A and Proto-Danubian B as shown in inscriptional evidence was mirrored by increasing cultural divergences between the city-states of the Danube and those of the Dneiper in the same period. While the Danubian city-states appear to have retained the Vylkove Culture’s confinement to river and marshland and its essentially matriarchal character, the increasing material wealth of the Dneiper city-states (due to their control of the southern part of the “amber road”, a trade route transporting amber from the Baltic to the Black Sea) and sustained contact with (and ultimate absorption of) the land-based farmers of the Sredny Stog Culture and small bands of Yamnaya pastoralists meant that they were able to extend the reach of their tributary relationships beyond the immediate confines of the Dneiper and its branch rivers.

The interactions between the Dneiper civilization and its neighbours led not only to the introduction of barley, sheep and a kind of beer made from a combination of barley and pounded bulrush root, but religious syncretism which accelerated the civilisation’s divergence from that of the Danube. While the Danubians continued to worship a single goddess, Ashessakan religious imagery increasingly portrays a pair of (always unnamed) male and female twins whose divine union, renewed annually, is intended to symbolise the union of land and water. Any male and female twins born in the Six Cities’ area of influence would be sent to Isalŋessa, where they were symbolically confined to the central artificial island and temple complex, forbidden from touching any animal other than the otter (still holy in both cultures) and fed on a diet solely consisting of fish and plants that could be harvested from marshlands. It is believed that on one twin’s death, the other was interred alive in the dead twin’s grave.

Religious texts that have been discovered almost exclusively take the form of hymns, purportedly addressed from one twin to another, describing their love for each other. An extract from one is reconstructed below. Please note that, as with all of the hymns that have been discovered, the genders of the twin addressed and the twin addressing are never mentioned.

“With great delight do I [sit/rest] in your shadow, my love,

As the bulrushes long for the inundation

And the heron calls out to its mate

And the [bittern] calls out one to another among the long grasses

And I drink from the cup of your [belly] and you <from mine>

From whence all good things flow

[….]

And I seek you amongst the dark places and the barren <places> of the world

As the otter paws for his mate, one for another,

For you have prepared a [platform/nest/bed] for me

And you have laden my [boat/canoe] with fish,

And the water [eddies] <towards you> and the willows bend <towards you>…”

Kinky

Also, how did this Union come into existence?

Thanks

it's hard to say, i definitely did it more for the aesthetics, the symetry around the st lawrence.

The main problem is that for this to happen Britain must lose upper canada, otherwise quebec/lower canada will just go with it. I think there are several possibilities, Spanish/French holding it wouldn't work, as they can't realistically control the great lakes from New Orleans, i think if you go back to the 17th century you could devise a surviving new netherlands that manages to take control of lake erie and the lower ontario, but it would be hard to explain the very convergent internal borders of this New England, hell, the concept of Vermont existing with a 17th century POD is laughable, on the other hand that is sufficiently far back that you can come up with an explanation as for why britain doesn't control the ruppert's land (powerful french navy? Danish presence?).

What i was thinking when i made this was a highly improbable situation where the US manages to get lower ontario during the revolutionary war, but in the decades following it there is another 1812 war like and New England secedes, now NE seceding IRL is already implausible, but them doing so with a weaker British presence in north america is even more. Not even talking about the fact that if britain could potentially just take back part or all of lower ontario in this case.

If the US controls the great lakes, then they control most of the rest of ontario and the prairies, although realistically i still think quebec would extend further along the ottawa river, maybe even to lake huron, i'm making a more serious take on a small canada where it is the case. As for the union lacking ruppert's land and labrador i think it would be because it's made an independant state, or international territory, or directly given to Newfoundland, or a sub-dominion that was merged with quebec but then left, i doubt the american could take control of it, and while the french had some control over the hudson bay as late as the 1780s that can't last without a base in the americas.

Now without an outlet for anglo settlers in lower ontario, many would stick around in quebec, the eastern township IRL were english majority until the 1880s, and montreal was english majority in the early 19th century, while not as many would go there as those who went to ontario IRL, i think they could make up several millions by today, and would historically have the best land, this would make the Quebeckers emigrate even more once they start lacking land, so more go to New England than IRL, in the end i can see this quebec having more people in total than IRL (maybe what? 10 millions?) but with less french speakers (say, 5 millions?). The large scale of their immigration as well as the fact that New England already has its own french speaking population and institutions for the acadians (who weren't deported, and their descendant make up 4 millions today, although half of that left the poor acadia for the more industrialized region of New England) means that the majority kept their language and stuck in communities, although i guess some would still be assimilated like IRL.

So this quebec and new england are separate dominion at first, but they would be close, and i guess the anglo-american upper class in the two dominions would be very linked. The economic difference between the industrious new england and the more agrarian quebec could slow down integration but maybe a common external threat (US?) could make an union, even a loose one, happen. The french speaking population would also be scattered on both sides of the border and there may be signficiant remittences sent from french new englanders to their quebecker families, there may even be an idea that by merging both dominion the french speakers could be stronger, so maybe they would be onboard too.

In the end it's still a rather implausible scenario, as i said i mostly did it for the look.

Random thing I threw together, in which Lumumba survives and the Congo has a civil war, but Lumumba ultimately comes out on top.

Quite, quite interesting good sir, maps regarding Africa are always good, and I like that Senegal
  1. So what happens to Kabila and Mobutu?
  2. What happened to the Guineas?
  3. Are Algeria and Senegal allies or is that West African sphere of influence entirely Senegalese?
  4. How wealthy is DRC nowadays?
  5. How's, uh, Rhodesia faring?
  6. Is that an independent city-state in former Nigeria?

Quite, quite interesting good sir, maps regarding Africa are always good, and I like that Senegal
  1. So what happens to Kabila and Mobutu?
  2. What happened to the Guineas?
  3. Are Algeria and Senegal allies or is that West African sphere of influence entirely Senegalese?
  4. How wealthy is DRC nowadays?
  5. How's, uh, Rhodesia faring?
  6. Is that an independent city-state in former Nigeria?
- Kabila is butterflied, and Mobutu ended up the losing side of the civil war. He committed suicide in 1969.
- The Guineas? Guinea-Bissau was absorbed into Greater Senegal, and Guinea was broken up between Senegal and Mali.
- Algeria is Islamicist, and that's the Senegalese-led ECOWAS.
- The Lumumba-ruled Congo kept its old "Republic of the Congo" name, and it's overall GDP is slightly lower than OTL Nigeria.
- When the Congolese Civil War erupted, the British delayed granting independence to Rhodesia and eventually decided to grant independence to the CAF as one unit. The Rhodesians wisely split off Barotseland as a further buffer state to hold off insurgents. Eventually in 1991, the Rhodesian government transitioned to majority rule as the Central African Federation, though Rhodesian whites still retain a disproportionate amount of economic and political influence within the country. (Again, hitting those South African parallels hard)
- That's an independent Lagos.

Also, if any of you are interested, Fortnite dance OSTs make for some good mapmaking. They're strangely relaxing, despite all the cringe associated with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.