Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK. But being intelligent and knowledgeable brings advantages especially when nobody can match you. What would happen if a person from the present day who knew how to build any modern technology and it's prerequistes and could speak latin went back in time to 1 AD? The character does not speak Russian.

He die quickly as a lot of modern technology need specific material and survival skill are much more important

Deleted member 87099

OK. But being intelligent and knowledgeable brings advantages especially when nobody can match you. What would happen if a person from the present day who knew how to build any modern technology and it's prerequistes and could speak latin went back in time to 1 AD? The character does not speak Russian.

They'd probably kill a lot of people incidentally with disease. But even if we handwave that (and that is a big handwave, mind you) they wouldn't not have anywhere near the proper pre-requisites to survive in that time period or produce those tehcnological blueprints into anything tangible.

Well then that person would be stranded in 1 AD with no means of getting home and no means of actually building any of the technology they know about. What's the point in knowing how to construct a cell phone if you don't have electricity to power it, or a signal for information to travel across, or the means of acquiring any of the precious metals used to construct it?

Look, man, I just think you need to think your scenarios through a little more. ASB scenarios are interesting, but the thing that makes them interesting is seeing how people realistically react to and act because of the ASB event. If you send the Japanese Home Islands of the present hurtling through a space-time vortex and ISOT them to 1940, Japan isn't immediately going to say, "Oh man, everyone's got such worse technology than us! Let's annex anything we can!" That's not how the nation of Japan would realistically react to such an event.

Your scenarios most often ignore that rule. That's fine, honestly, no statement is truer than practice makes perfect. I'm telling you this--we are telling you this--in the hopes that you learn from this and make your next map a little more feasible, and, as time goes on, better.

Avos.png

Political map of the continent of Avos including the names of the countries occupying it. TL;DR, Avos is a continent structured by colonial elites with a population dominated by a diverse array of Avian species...
Is this a part of a larger world map? I'd love to see more.

Is this a part of a larger world map? I'd love to see more.

unknown.png

Yes definitely! The current present-day map is currently not finished and the project is still in the early stages of development, more stuff is definitely going to be added in overtime!

I can simply say this project includes things listed below
-A diverse array of sapient mammalian and avian folks.
-Big ice caps.
-A point in history where magic actually existed, but was then was thrown into the dustbin.
-A confederal post-colonial behemoth.
-And many, many more!

America was allowed to invade these countries in order to secure more influence. She allows this because the SU needed the money to improve government services and help improve the economy. Jacky was not concerned about apartheid and she is not in charge of south Africa. Because of the end of the cold war the US is not hostile to the Soviet Union. The RSFR does not control the soviet union. The Taliban and al-queada were defeated once the US stopped giving them arms and training. China is still not having a problem with the SU and india is allied with the SU. Those countries are not in danger of war and the soviet union does not constrict the nations like a snake.

unknown.png

Yes definitely! The current present-day map is currently not finished and the project is still in the early stages of development, more stuff is definitely going to be added in overtime!

I can simply say this project includes things listed below
-A diverse array of sapient mammalian and avian folks.
-Big ice caps.
-A point in history where magic actually existed, but was then was thrown into the dustbin.
-A confederal post-colonial behemoth.
-And many, many more!
Nice color choices! They really pop off of the water color (IMO, a darker water color is almost always better), and they manage to look good next to each other. Also, each of the colors are just plain pleasant to look at, which is no simple feat.

Deleted member 87099

America was allowed to invade these countries in order to secure more influence. She allows this because the SU needed the money to improve government services and help improve the economy. Jacky was not concerned about apartheid and she is not in charge of south Africa. Because of the end of the cold war the US is not hostile to the Soviet Union. The RSFR does not control the soviet union. The Taliban and al-queada were defeated once the US stopped giving them arms and training. China is still not having a problem with the SU and india is allied with the SU. Those countries are not in danger of war and the soviet union does not constrict the nations like a snake.

Is that not counter-intuitive though? Much of America's modern influence is from soft power. Many historians even argue that America's invasion of Iraq was one of the most damaging things to effect its modern global influence.

Would Russia not already have a large enough industrial and commercial base to support an extensive welfare state? And even if it didn't then how come it doesn't rely on a tactic like economic neo-colonialism instead of outright colonization.

That's not very liberally-minded of her. And since South Africa is tied to the Soviet Union in this world then its her guns and money that keeps Apartheid in place.

None of this was very well explained and is really reductionist at best. I mean, for starters, the Sino-Soviet split took place before your POD.

I know you're pretty new but I also know that you're more than capable of making interesting and realistic scenarios if you just put more time and effort into them.

Let's say phasing out communism, introducing capitalism and enstablish a monarchy...without having a misterious and very lethal incident as first thing; technology way beyond our own in the 80's as a second thing; nations willingly and happyly become protectorate of this Russia and this include the USA as a third thing
Jacky gained a lot of allies by providing lots of incentives and shee did this by demonstrating some of her technology to the soviet government. Plus her demonstration of some oof her advanced technology to international news networks did the trick.

Is that not counter-intuitive though? Much of America's modern influence is from soft power. Many historians even argue that America's invasion of Iraq was one of the most damaging things to effect its modern global influence.

Would Russia not already have a large enough industrial and commercial base to support an extensive welfare state? And even if it didn't then how come it doesn't rely on a tactic like economic neo-colonialism instead of outright colonization.

That's not very liberally-minded of her. And since South Africa is tied to the Soviet Union in this world then its her guns and money that keeps Apartheid in place.

None of this was very well explained and is really reductionist at best. I mean, for starters, the Sino-Soviet split took place before your POD.

I know you're pretty new but I also know that you're more than capable of making interesting and realistic scenarios if you just put more time and effort into them.
If you have much of the world's oil supplies you have lots of influence. Having a large industrial and commercial base does not mean you have a lot of money. The soviet union did not engage in neocolonization. The soviet union ceased aiding south africa

Deleted member 87099

If you have much of the world's oil supplies you have lots of influence. Having a large industrial and commercial base does not mean you have a lot of money. The soviet union did not engage in neocolonization. The soviet union ceased aiding south africa

I don't know why I'm continuing to engage you on this.

1. Yes, in a modern world oil brings influence but these nations would most certainly be forced to trade with the world-spanning Soviet Union to keep their nations afloat. No need for isolation or invasion.

2. Having a large industrial and commercial base are the clearest signs of a wealthy nation. Show me one example of a poor nation with both of those things.

3. Dude, the Soviet Union engaged in neocolonialism in real life. There's no way this world-spanning hyperpower wouldn't even if, like, by accident.

4. That's not the impression I got from the fact that they made South Africa a protectorate, thereby protecting and aiding them in theory.

I'm not trying to overly criticize you but even for an ASB scenario these are clear errors that need to fixed to make the worthwhile content that I know you're perfectly capable if making.

I don't know why I'm continuing to engage you on this.

1. Yes, in a modern world oil brings influence but these nations would most certainly be forced to trade with the world-spanning Soviet Union to keep their nations afloat. No need for isolation or invasion.

2. Having a large industrial and commercial base are the clearest signs of a wealthy nation. Show me one example of a poor nation with both of those things.

3. Dude, the Soviet Union engaged in neocolonialism in real life. There's no way this world-spanning hyperpower wouldn't even if, like, by accident.

4. That's not the impression I got from the fact that they made South Africa a protectorate, thereby protecting and aiding them in theory.

I'm not trying to overly criticize you but even for an ASB scenario these are clear errors that need to fixed to make the worthwhile content that I know you're perfectly capable if making.
I see my gaffes. thank you

Jacky gained a lot of allies by providing lots of incentives and shee did this by demonstrating some of her technology to the soviet government. Plus her demonstration of some oof her advanced technology to international news networks did the trick.

Congratulations, you will be tortured in a nice gulag till you have spilled any secret...sorry but you propose a scenario were the soviet goverment basically disband itself for some nice trinckets

The Interstellar Union of terra Nova is a totalitarian and nationalistic and capitalistic state. It is very advanced and is the most powerful nation in the Milky Way galaxy. It has a post scarcity economy and a very powerful military. The majority of the country's star systems have lots of habitats orbiting them. The Interstellar Union of terra Nova has many underground cities, military bases, industry and hydroponic agriculture. Large arcologies both underground and above ground house millions of people. These underground cities are connected by underground highways, railways and walkways. Large interstellar networks exist and enable passengers and freight to be sent at FTL speeds to different star systems. The interstellar federation of terra nova possesses a technologically advanced and powerful military and space exploration fleet. The military is good at defeating enemies and exploring and surveying the universe. The Interstellar Union of terra Nova’s intelligence agency is adept at espionage and subversion and communication with aliens. The interstellar federation of terra nova’s economy is capitalist and enormous. It is also growing very quickly. Socially the country is collectivistic and militaristic and nationalistic. The country originated because some posthuman people ended up in the past millions (5 million years) of years beforehand with a fleet of ships that contained von Neumann machines, molecular assemblers, enormous databanks containing vast amounts of scientific and technological information, weapons, artificial wombs, computers, various tools, political information, medical, scientific and industrial and agricultural equipment and information about how to use it. The posthumans established a civilization on a terraformed planet and it became technologically advanced and later expanded beyond their planet and eventually their solar systems.
upload_2019-7-7_1-33-5.png

Picture credit: Nucleep

republican_sphere.png

(A Part 2 to this post from the old Map Thread -- I was planning on it being done before that thread closed but oh well)
I won't divulge majorly into the world behind the Republican Sphere -- it feels fairly straightforward:

France wins the Napoleonic Wars (to an extent), but the Continental System weakens following the death of Emperor Napoleon I, thus leading to Scandinavia and Russia backing out of the agreement. With the ascension of Napoleon II, France officially dissolved some extensive holdings that were beginning to rebel (namely the Dutch and Italians, with French Illyria remaining a department for awhile longer before being let go to form the United Kingdom of Rumelia), and created the Republican Sphere. With this, too, came the dissolution of the French Empire into the Second French Republic; despite this name, the French Republic fashioned itself more in the vein of the former Dutch Republic, in that the executive was de facto a hereditary position.

As such, the Republican Sphere has, ironically, very few republics within its borders. The amount of territory the Sphere possessed made it a major player in global affairs -- eventually forming one-half of the global power dynamic, competing against the Tripartite System whenever possible. All other major nations (Russia and the United Kingdom) separated into vaguely neutral blocs, which would rise from the ashes following the destructive Great War.

republican_sphere.png

(A Part 2 to this post from the old Map Thread -- I was planning on it being done before that thread closed but oh well)
I won't divulge majorly into the world behind the Republican Sphere -- it feels fairly straightforward:

France wins the Napoleonic Wars (to an extent), but the Continental System weakens following the death of Emperor Napoleon I, thus leading to Scandinavia and Russia backing out of the agreement. With the ascension of Napoleon II, France officially dissolved some extensive holdings that were beginning to rebel (namely the Dutch and Italians, with French Illyria remaining a department for awhile longer before being let go to form the United Kingdom of Rumelia), and created the Republican Sphere. With this, too, came the dissolution of the French Empire into the Second French Republic; despite this name, the French Republic fashioned itself more in the vein of the former Dutch Republic, in that the executive was de facto a hereditary position.

As such, the Republican Sphere has, ironically, very few republics within its borders. The amount of territory the Sphere possessed made it a major player in global affairs -- eventually forming one-half of the global power dynamic, competing against the Tripartite System whenever possible. All other major nations (Russia and the United Kingdom) separated into vaguely neutral blocs, which would rise from the ashes following the destructive Great War.
It's for stuff like this that I wish there was an option to like something twice on this site. Great job, this series looks fantastic!

Status
Not open for further replies.