Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a map of the Holy Pacific (Deseret?) Empire, after the Cuban Missle Crisis went hot. (for context, Arizona's The Emperor, Mormonia's the Papacy Equivilant, the Green and Orange lines are the Cascadian and Californian Spheres, and the tannish color are the electors) It's part of a worlda map that I might post, but I wanted to make the HPE clearer.

Attachments

• 45346.png
    45346.png
    61.6 KB · Views: 464
A bit of advice for anyone trying to make an ATL map of Africa: Mauritanians drowned in a glass of water shortly after independence day. In 1960 the population amounted to a grand total of 854000 people, of which, if estimates on the current ethnic composition of the country are to be believed, only 256200 had something to lose in the eventuality the country would be annexed by Morocco and, unlike what was the case in other African countries, those people lived mostly clustered on the south-western border, pretty much one river away from others of the same ethnicity and Mauritania remaining independent no longer being their problem.

A bit of advice for anyone trying to make an ATL map of Africa: Mauritanians drowned in a glass of water shortly after independence day. In 1960 the population amounted to a grand total of 854000 people, of which, if estimates on the current ethnic composition of the country are to be believed, only 256200 had something to lose in the eventuality the country would be annexed by Morocco and, unlike what was the case in other African countries, those people lived mostly clustered on the south-western border, pretty much one river away from others of the same ethnicity and Mauritania remaining independent no longer being their problem.

While Morocco can easily get and keep most of the coast and Nouakchott without too much trouble, the rest of the country is such a total mess I’m not sure it’s desirable for them to attempt to control it

I know it's based on a book and all, but this would make a great map series. You could transform Long Island into mini-America, or Corsica into mini-France, or Taiwan into mini-China, or Okinawa into mini-Japan.

Just for you, @HeX:

It’s a Small World After All: New New York, New York

B21R948.png

A sister project to England, England, New New York, New York was a somewhat less ambitious project established in response to a New York tourism slump driven by rising crime rates.’ Plagued by cost overruns from the beginning, it ran into multiple controversies over the course of its lengthy and unhappy development process: a proposed “Salute to 9/11” was cancelled amid widespread outrage, the “Stonewall Experience” was shelved indefinitely in the face of protests from multiple activist groups, and the Staten Island site was invaded prior to its opening by “Occupy New New York, New York”, who were protesting the removal of Staten Islanders via abuse of eminent domain, working conditions in New New York, New York, and the use of numerous corporate partnerships for individual exhibits. This last issue was dealt with via the expedient of making the Occupy protestors salaried employees of the park and turning their camp into a tourist exhibit.

While never quite as successful as England, England, New New York, New York has usurped New York’s position as a tourist destination: 95% of visitors to New New York, New York never travel to Old New York during their vacation.

"New Amsterdam, in partnership with Royal Dutch Shell" -- that one takes the cake, @XTrapnel. :cool:

Much appreciated - I lived in New York for six months about five years ago for work reasons, and disliked it intensely by the end, so rather more bitterness went into this map than the last one.

By the way, to continue our conversation from yesterday on organic vs "high" culture, if you're interested in that sort of thing you'll probably enormously enjoy reading Riddley Walker, by Russell Hoban. It's set in an Iron Age Kent about three thousand years after a nuclear war - I won't give any more of the plot or setting away, but it's well worth a read, particularly if you know that part of the world quite well (one for@DrWalpurgis as well, probably).

This concept has a lot of potential, I can see some of Earth's less democratic regimes using space colonization to get rid of their most troublemaking minorities though, and some peoples being forced to set up shop elsewhere due to external factors, global warming could mean a mass exodus of island nations (especially Oceania's) and other flooded peoples (like the Bengali) elsewhere in the galaxy.

Polynesian climate refugees might end up sailing the skies as skillfully as they sailed the seas, when they're not too busy dealing with the leviathan-sized aquatic megafauna present in their home planets. :p

Skallagrim

Banned
Much appreciated - I lived in New York for six months about five years ago for work reasons, and disliked it intensely by the end, so rather more bitterness went into this map than the last one.

By the way, to continue our conversation from yesterday on organic vs "high" culture, if you're interested in that sort of thing you'll probably enormously enjoy reading Riddley Walker, by Russell Hoban. It's set in an Iron Age Kent about three thousand years after a nuclear war - I won't give any more of the plot or setting away, but it's well worth a read, particularly if you know that part of the world quite well (one for@DrWalpurgis as well, probably).

Thanks for the tip; I'll be sure to pick that up. My birthday is coming up anyway, and everyone always gives me either books or vouchers to buy books, so... That one's going on the list, then. I'm sure I'll enjoy it, since I'm rather fond of Kent-- I have some friends there, and take a trip across the channel twice a year if I can reasonably manage it.

And yeah-- much as a certain dislike of New York worked to inspire you here, the reference to Shell got me. As a Dutchman, I'm rather well-informed on the various humanitarian and environmental crimes of "our" national Megacorp. (Well, half ours, these days, but we're all still quite embarrassed whenever another news report comes up about what Shell has been doing in Nigeria this time...)

Two small QBam/EqualA country map.

unknown.png
A splendid map, though I do have to wonder who got Cabinda. I imagine Portugual would have been left with something at least to start with, though the British or Belgians would both like the land well enough. Not having it be German probably would have been a demand by the French earlier, as I don't see them liking the idea of the Germans surrounding both French and Belgian Congo. The Austrians and Prussians both had a history of trying to squeeze people into economic servitude or political conquest by seizing the coasts, and given the Hoare-Laval partition plan for Ethiopia specifically had a 'Corridor for Camels' without railroads so the Ethiopians had to keep using French ports... it is something important down the line. Part of why I see the Belgians wanting to keep a small junk of land at the southern side of the mouth of the Congo, which they or Leopold wanted IOTL. So they could get a secure access and get around the waterfalls more easily. Anyways, what happened to the Portuguese possessions in Asia? I see Portuguese Timor being sold to the Germans or Australians as it wasn't too profitable. Portuguese Guinea sold to someone as a prestige colony, or the French take it as well as the one small port in Benin. I feel the Portuguese ports in India and China would have been kept as the economic gains from the area were simply too great.

This concept has a lot of potential, I can see some of Earth's less democratic regimes using space colonization to get rid of their most troublemaking minorities though, and some peoples being forced to set up shop elsewhere due to external factors, global warming could mean a mass exodus of island nations (especially Oceania's) and other flooded peoples (like the Bengali) elsewhere in the galaxy.

Polynesian climate refugees might end up sailing the skies as skillfully as they sailed the seas, when they're not too busy dealing with the leviathan-sized aquatic megafauna present in their home planets. :p

We'll be coming to the Polynesians later... some of the earliest Crumpleverse content involves their space descendants and there's a Polynesian descended society due to appear in this series. Watch this space.

As for mentioning climate refugees, that is absolutely a factor in the Crumpleverses history of offworld settlement, from Mars onward. By the 28th century Earth is the healthiest it's been in centuries, perhaps millennia, but in the late 21st and early 22nd century the stabilisation of temperature came too late to have no consequences, including massive coral dieback and some sea level rises. That and continued poverty or franchisement motivated a lot of early colonists. Countries using space to send away undesirables or minorities found that backfiring, as UNSA was increasingly active in providing colonies without massive funding the necessary resources, and Earths nations became less and less relevant as offworld economies started to become more robust and the UNSA fleet overtook the next two largest Earth nations space fleets combined. UNSA was robust in defending the rights of offworld colonists, starting with the anti-national protests on New Beijing where a massive swell of colonists no longer wanted to be grouped by their Earth country of origin. Of all Earths nations India maintained the most direct control of its official colonies, and in doing so it transitioned into an interstellar pan-state entity rather than an Earth nation with offworld possessions.

*good argument against space-filling empires*

*good points about historical perspectives*

*better points regarding historical 'terra incognita's

*yup, pretty much in agreement*

I am a writer of a non-traditional nation TL and I feel all of this so much. There are so many interesting things regarding places that many people consider "unexplored and undiscovered", and there are so many perspectives and viewpoints that can be examined and studied and just be awed in just reading and listening about them. And yet, I sometimes trip-up in writing these places because of just how complex, mindless, and yet interconnected history is. I wish there are more timelimes and maps that explore the full complexity of 'unknown' places and peoples, but I also know how hard it is to write such an endeavour.

But even then, I still want such a TL.

Posted this briefly in the map briefly in the MoTF thread, before deciding that it probably wasn't entirely compliant with the rules of this fortnight’s competition for a couple of reasons: firstly, it doesn’t show a country “abandoning Big Ben” so much as taking Big Ben and leaving most of the people in place; secondly, I can’t claim originality in the slightest – this map’s based entirely off the wonderful ‘England, England’ by Julian Barnes.
Brilliant work! I should get to reading that book over the summer...

Can I ask how you made the map look like a cloth pattern? A filter or something else?

Brilliant work! I should get to reading that book over the summer...

Can I ask how you made the map look like a cloth pattern? A filter or something else?

It's ridiculously easy to do if you're using Paint.Net:

1. Find and download a paper texture by searching Google Images for "paper texture";
2. Add this image as a new layer to your map, and move it below your other layers;
3. Merge all other layers;
4. Set the opacity of the new merged layer to slightly less than 100%.

The Ironway Network in 1995

vi6VzJx.png

When The Wyvern seized power in 1936 via the March on London, they immediately embarked on a radical restructuring of English society designed to purge all “foreign” elements: Wales, Northern Island and all of Scotland except Galloway and Strathclyde were placed under martial law and granted quasi-independence as "sister lands", the English language was “reformed” to remove any non-Anglo Saxon loanwords, the legal and political systems were restored to as close an approximation of their Anglo-Saxon equivalents as possible, theowdom was reinstituted and extended to well over half of the population, and determined efforts to supplant Christianity in favour of a “purer” reconstruction of Anglo-Saxon religious belief were made.

From the new permanent seat of government in Lichfield (chosen for its importance to the Kingdom of Mercia and its central location), The Wyvern oversaw the almost complete de-industrialisation of England, the establishment of a surveillance state unprecedented in reach and scope, and a return to cultural and military isolationism.

By the 1990s, England has reverted to a nineteenth century level of technology: about sixty percent of the population are theows, chattel owned by a master, forbidden to travel or to own personal property, with thirty-five percent being churls or freemen, permitted to own land and to vote for shire reeves if certain financial conditions are met, and the remainder being eorls or noblemen, paying for their enormous privileges through a requirement to serve in some capacity in the Theadley Folkish Hera (National People’s Army). Almost all of the theows, and most of the churls, are engaged in farming: aided by heavy emigration in the early years of the Wyvern’s rule and extremely harsh de-urbanisation policies, more than eighty percent of the remaining population lives in rural or semi-rural areas. Although Christianity was never entirely supplanted, most of the English practise a syncretic religion in which Christ and Chad of Mercia are venerated in a pantheon alongside Woden and Thunor (although an increasing portion of the eorls belong to an odd Hermetic religious cult, under the leadership of High Speaker Anton Long, which claims direct descent from, and continuity with, a combination of Mithraism and pre-Christian Celtic religious practices).

The map above sets out the vestigial rail transport network as of 1995: the majority of people now seldom travel more than twenty miles from their birthplace in their lifetime, and most transportation is via canal or horse and cart (although the Folkish Loft Ferd, or People's Airforce, has the resources to maintain enough modern aircraft to protect England from foreign threats, The Wyvern strongly discourages any civilian application of this technology for anyone other than Eorls).

Last edited:
Here's a Space-Filling Empire Map I whipped up. A Space-Filling Empire is tricky to define, but I just went with "big enough to have internal boundaries in the worldmap I used as a base" (not counting Israel or Morocco, where the internal boundaries are for... other reasons). To restrict myself, I've avoided changing the borders of any countries that already qualify and went with SFEs that could hypothetically exist. And so I don't have to redraw the internal boundaries I got rid of all of them

upload_2019-7-30_16-9-28.png

The countries in this world would be: the USA, Canada, the Union of New Grenada, the South American Federation, Brazil, Argentina, the Republic of South Africa, the People's Republic of South Africa, the East African Federation, Congo-Angola, the United Republics of Central Africa, Greater Ethiopia, the Mali Empire, Morocco and the Sahara, Neo-Byzantium, the Arab Republic, Greater Iran, the Intermarium, Carolingia, China, the Southeast Asian Union, Indonesia, Australia, the Polynesian Federation, and the North Asian Coalition

And no, I have no idea how Korea managed to rope Mongolia and Japan into an SFE

I'm also planning to use the same original worlda to make another map, this time where Russia, Canada, the USA, Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, Australia, Indonesia, India, China, and South Africa all get balkanized, and then modifying that map to create new SFEs

Skallagrim

Banned
The Ironway Network in 1995

Going back to something resembling Anglo-Saxon England in another way! :eek: You're really hitting on all six here, @XTrapnel!

This reminds me a lot of the "as individualist bad guys" option I wrote for German national conservatism is the ATL ideologies thread. With the obvious difference that there, it was a forcibly imposed "return" to (wat the regime likes and imagines about) the mediaeval Holy Roman Empire, and here the regime takes its cues from (the regime's idea of) the Anglo-Saxon past. The two scenarios could easily exist in the same ATL.

Last edited:
Just for you, @HeX:

It’s a Small World After All: New New York, New York

B21R948.png

A sister project to England, England, New New York, New York was a somewhat less ambitious project established in response to a New York tourism slump driven by rising crime rates.’ Plagued by cost overruns from the beginning, it ran into multiple controversies over the course of its lengthy and unhappy development process: a proposed “Salute to 9/11” was cancelled amid widespread outrage, the “Stonewall Experience” was shelved indefinitely in the face of protests from multiple activist groups, and the Staten Island site was invaded prior to its opening by “Occupy New New York, New York”, who were protesting the removal of Staten Islanders via abuse of eminent domain, working conditions in New New York, New York, and the use of numerous corporate partnerships for individual exhibits. This last issue was dealt with via the expedient of making the Occupy protestors salaried employees of the park and turning their camp into a tourist exhibit.

While never quite as successful as England, England, New New York, New York has usurped New York’s position as a tourist destination: 95% of visitors to New New York, New York never travel to Old New York during their vacation.
This makes me happy. :cool: Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.