Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

CannedTech

Banned
Because this time it's personal, as my own TL has an American Warlord Period. This sets a bad precedent that could see me get a future ban. I agree I disagree with the mods a lot, because I think they run the site rather poorly, I gave on that a while ago. That is not what is happening here, like many others after the kick, I genuinely disagree with this action

It’s because the map ripped off specific borders from a timeline and presented them as original, I don’t know how you’re getting to the conclusion that every American Warlord Period map is going to be banned because of this, that’s grasping at straws if I ever seen it.

KapiTod

Banned
I'd agree that they are similar and perhaps a little scummy. But to claim it as plagiarism and issue a kick and threaten a ban is simply outrageous. The Lore is different, the borders are different. Just what feature is being copied to the degree of plagiarism? All I can see as being "copied" is the idea of a complicated American Civil War. Hell AAW takes place in the modern day where as this map was set around the mid 1900's. I don't think the concept of America becoming a warlord riddled state is unique enough to be considered the sole property of AAW.

This has happened multiple times across two accounts, so it's not like this has come out of nowhere.

Revers Cold War (2020).png

A sequel to my reverse cold war.

During the 60s and 70s, the USSA faced several internal problems. Civil rights have turned violent thanks to them assassinating MLK causing several insurgencies. The USSA spending on Nuclear weapons has caused its economy to fall and face several hunger strikes. In Russia, the Russians face controversy over supporting dictators as well as the creation of several nuclear weapons. Following the Icelandic Missile crisis. Britain and it Uk gov in Canada would soon re-establish relationship while hatred with the USSA. Soon the RB and the Commonwealth and PATO would get closer and would join their alliance, leaving the Comintern and causing an Anglo-American split. In Brazil in the 1980s, Civil war broke out and the nation dissolves into scattering states. In Germany and Belnuks, Riots broke out and eventually a coup in belnuk cause a democratic government to be established. By the late 80s, all communist nations were suffering. California succeeded from the USSA following the riot of 1984. In France, a short 2-year civil war occurred between the Government and democratic rebels. By 1992 The USSA collapses and the United Kingdom was re-created. The Republic of America, Texas, Cascadia, California and the Confederation of America was established. It's now 2015, The Arab republic has fallen into Civil war. South japan is a North Korea in this world. Brazil is fighting itself with several states and warlords. Russia and America have established diplomatic relations.

It’s because the map ripped off specific borders from a timeline and presented them as original, I don’t know how you’re getting to the conclusion that every American Warlord Period map is going to be banned because of this, that’s grasping at straws if I ever seen it.
Did he actually rip off the borders? I'm at school rn so can't overlay in pdn, but it looks like the borders weren't super ripped off. Same with the first map, they seem to be just inspiration.

This is all a great reason to not use WorldA maps. Honestly I check out mentally whenever I see that familiar pixellated format. Great easy way to make maps but I just dont find cartographic value in them overall.

This is all a great reason to not use WorldA maps. Honestly I check out mentally whenever I see that familiar pixellated format. Great easy way to make maps but I just dont find cartographic value in them overall.
There is a hell of a lot of potential and artistic experimentation to be found in worldas. Many of them are sloppy and slapped together, but just as many have hours of work and diligence put into them.

Ian the Admin

Administrator
Donor
Plagiarism is a one bite offense and you just had yours.

Next one is an Automatic Ban.

Kicked for a week.

I know that two people reported this as plagiarized, but they didn't give a link to the allegedly plagiarized source. The only link I've found here was this one:

This shows a radically different map whose only commonality is that some of the borders look vaguely similar.

People reporting plagiarism really should give the mods a link to the work that's been plagiarized.

I'm reversing the kick.

There is a hell of a lot of potential and artistic experimentation to be found in worldas. Many of them are sloppy and slapped together, but just as many have hours of work and diligence put into them.

This is all my personal opinion obviously, but I find the WorldA format is just very limiting. The most ambitious, well-made WorldA map (of which there are some great ones I have seen here)...still look like WorldA maps. It might be the pixellated style. Just doesnt work for me at all.

This is all my personal opinion obviously, but I find the WorldA format is just very limiting. The most ambitious, well-made WorldA map (of which there are some great ones I have seen here)...still look like WorldA maps. It might be the pixellated style. Just doesnt work for me at all.
To be fair, WorldA as a base map for historical maps is fine. The problem is that it's just too small for any creativity.

I'd suggest Q-BAM instead. Given a little lossless compression on the Internet, and most Q-BAM maps can be posted up here. It's much bigger than WorldA maps, and gives you more clarity in AH scenarios.

Worlda can be a great place to experiment and show quick information for TLs. It allows new users to try making maps(like myself back in the day ) with only paint and get them engaged in the community. It also is the perfect size for pixel art. While I get worlda is not everyone's cup of tea, it has its place as a community staple

My attention span is way too short for a world map any bigger than the worlda 🤔

Worldas are fine, so long as you're okay with settings whose divergences are relatively similar looking samey. If you don't want samey... at least mess with it a bit.

Worldas are fine, so long as you're okay with settings whose divergences are relatively similar looking samey. If you don't want samey... at least mess with it a bit.
There are plenty of worldas that don't remotely resemble real life.

This is a map I made of an alternate history scenario based on a successful Seventh Crusade which achieves its aims of taking back Egypt for Christendom. Here Louis XI, or "Saint Louis," as he's also known as manages to attain victory over the Mamaluks in Egypt. Saint-Louis's remarkable victory was hailed in the West as sign of divine favor which flocked more knights to rally around his banner allowing his army badly needed reinforcements. Louis XIX was also pragmatic in his attempts to win over the native Copts within Egypt presenting himself and his fellow Crusaders as Liberators. This led to the French making many gains as many friendly cities such as Alexandria threw open their gates to the victorious French. This victory would have wider implications for the Muslim world as North Africa and Muslim Iberia were now cut off from the rest of the Islamic World.

Louis IX then appointed his youngest son Jean I Capet as its King who received Papal Sanction which boosted the overall prestige and legitimacy of France and the House of Capet with Louis XI being remembered in Western Historiography as one of the most consequential rulers since Charlemagne especially since his forces helped relieve the beleaguered Crusader states of the Levant which were re-energized thanks to French military support. This also led to the nobles of Jerusalem acclaiming Louis IX as King of Jerusalem much to the anger of the Holy Roman Emperor Frederick II von Hohenstaufen who was excommunicated by the Pope. This kicked off the bitter rivalry between both dynasties that would characterize the later Middle Ages.

The new Kingdom's existence would have the effect of bolstering the Crusaders' position, as now through the Kingdom of Egypt, they had direct access to the riches of the Indian Ocean trade through the Red Sea something which had been lost since the Arab Conquests of the 7th Century. This increase in trade would also help support the the other Levantine Crusader States which became economically tied to the Capetian Kingdom of Egypt. The success of this Crusade inspired others such as the Eight Crusade for North Africa which saw the Sicilians under King Charles de Anjou restore the old Norman Kingdom of Africa. This also led to the Reconquista rapidly gaining in momentum as Louis IX, emboldened by his victories began a massive war against the Almohads who had pushed back the Christian states in Iberia.

What do you guys think of this map?
it looks good ,it think the riches of egypt would help the crusades take back many places the problem is that the mongols would see it as fresh meat unless the crusaders win the atl battle of ain jalut.

To be fair, WorldA as a base map for historical maps is fine. The problem is that it's just too small for any creativity.

I'd suggest Q-BAM instead. Given a little lossless compression on the Internet, and most Q-BAM maps can be posted up here. It's much bigger than WorldA maps, and gives you more clarity in AH scenarios.
Worlda can be a great place to experiment and show quick information for TLs. It allows new users to try making maps(like myself back in the day ) with only paint and get them engaged in the community. It also is the perfect size for pixel art. While I get worlda is not everyone's cup of tea, it has its place as a community staple

Aight, since everyone seems to be talking about whether they like WorldAs or not, Imma give my two cents.

I generally agree with dontfearme.

I don't find them aesthetically pleasing in most cases. There are folks that make some DAMN FINE pixelart with them, but I generally find them kind of ehhh for anything but a base that is easily transferrable to other maps of a relatively similar projection, though I prefer the Q-BAM for that. I like bigger and less pixellated maps. I like my maps smooth. I don't know, I just think it gives them a more professional feel when coupled with, you know, good cartography (because there are definitely MANY bad maps made on a large, high-res base).

However I get that like 90% of this site's population loves WorldAs and they do have a kind of special AH.com vibe, like Selvetrica said, they're a community staple. Of course, the people that do put a lot of effort into them, with different shades in their countries, good subdivisions, and such are the exception to my dislike of the WorldA format, especially if they've got that pixelart on the sides.

Then again, I make maps too big for Imgur to handle sometimes, so, take that as you will...

On a tangentially related note: how do you normally read it? World A (like world-ay) or worldah as if the a is a part of the word?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.