Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plagiarism is a one bite offense and you just had yours.

Next one is an Automatic Ban.

Kicked for a week.
Is it not common for worldA maps to use other ones for borders or is that only the base maps? plus it looks like the borders are different.

Last edited:
It’s not common to plagiarize borders very clearly from someone else’s work without so much as a mention that isn’t not theirs
And if you’re going to mention, something as simple as “Here’s my own take on a map from [name]’s timeline, [timeline name],” and then a description of the changes would totally be fine. At least, most people would find it fine. But nope, straight up copying the idea without so much as a mention is just... I was going to make a joke about an instance of real life corporate IP theft, but they sort of all do that, don’t they...

Skallagrim

Banned
Reminds me quite an awful lot of Mattystereo's An American War.
Yeah I see it too.
This does feel very suspicious, especially since Itsa and ItsaMapping have similar mapping styles and similar writing styles.
It’s not common to plagiarize borders very clearly from someone else’s work without so much as a mention that isn’t not theirs
Fellas, those two maps are similar in that they depict a hodge-podge of American statelets and feature a Pacific state and Texas as the two big ones... but if you overlay the two (which I just did in photosphop), you'll see that except for the basemap (coastlines & OTL some borders), they share no exact overlap. Literally none of the borders match up.

Bit of an overreaction going on here, it would seem.

Fellas, those two maps are similar in that they depict a hodge-podge of American statelets and feature a Pacific state and Texas as the two big ones... but if you overlay the two (which I just did in photosphop), you'll see that except for the basemap (coastlines & OTL some borders), they share no exact overlap. Literally none of the borders match up.

Yeah I was thinking, "wait a minute I don't see where the resemblance is" myself.

Yeah, I agree.

eadmund

Banned

Next one is an Automatic Ban.

Kicked for a week.
Thank you for your valuable service to the community. I am sure you receive adequate remuneration (at least minimum wage) for this work?

I would agree if it wasn’t the first time but as shown above they blatantly copied another map (also by mattystereo) before so I think it’s warranted.

I would agree if it wasn’t the first time but as shown above they blatantly copied another map (also by mattystereo) before so I think it’s warranted.

Except that is a different person called Itsa and not ItsaMapping. And even if we accept that they are the same person with separate accounts more than one people have compared the borders and saw no overlap. Which would mean punishing them for a crime they didn't commit.
Mattystereo's map depicts a civil war, ItsaMapping's one depicts something that looks more like the HRE.

Last edited:
Except that is a different person called Itsa and not ItsaMapping. And even if we accept that they are the same person with separate accounts more than one people have compared the borders and saw no overlap. Which would mean punishing them for a crime they didn't commit.
Mattystereo's map depicts a civil war, ItsaMapping's one depicts something that looks more like the HRE.

alright then even if we accept he didn't plagiarise him the kick is warranted for the first time he plagiarised mattystereo, right?

Mods probably know if they're the same person, but considering itsamapping became suddenly more active after itsa stopped posting, I'd say they are until proven otherwise

moments like these also make me wish we still had the hall of infamy or whatever it was called, at least threads on other forums wouldn't be bloated with discussion like that

Last edited:
moments like these also make me wish we still had the hall of infamy or whatever it was called, at least threads on other forums wouldn't be bloated with discussion like that

You can still post if you want to contest an action in the "Kick and Ban Notices" thread - the main change is that it needs to be approved by amod to be visible (and grave dancing etc. won't be approved).

Well even if the borders don't line up, the maps are eerily similar to each other. There's definitely something fishy going on.

I'd agree that they are similar and perhaps a little scummy. But to claim it as plagiarism and issue a kick and threaten a ban is simply outrageous. The Lore is different, the borders are different. Just what feature is being copied to the degree of plagiarism? All I can see as being "copied" is the idea of a complicated American Civil War. Hell AAW takes place in the modern day where as this map was set around the mid 1900's. I don't think the concept of America becoming a warlord riddled state is unique enough to be considered the sole property of AAW.

Pack it up guys, any maps of collapsed US is forbidden. Doesn't matter if you lore and borders are unique, you are stealing.

Why do you hop in every time the mods get involved in something? Like, I'm not trying to argue for or against your points in this specific case, I just want to know why you do it in general.

Why do you hop in every time the mods get involved in something? Like, I'm not trying to argue for or against your points in this specific case, I just want to know why you do it in general.
Because this time it's personal, as my own TL has an American Warlord Period. This sets a bad precedent that could see me get a future ban. I agree I disagree with the mods a lot, because I think they run the site rather poorly, I gave on that a while ago. That is not what is happening here, like many others after the kick, I genuinely disagree with this action

Status
Not open for further replies.