Awesome!! Always loved your TL, glad to see a detailled map!Cross-posted from my timeline The Berlin Dome.
States of Germany
With Extra Artwork (Flags, Coats of Arms, Areas, Populations, etc)
Direct Link (full size), DeviantArt page.
- Arbitrary colours for the various German States
- Red: Personal Union under King Hubertus of Prussia (Brandenburg, Pomerania, East Prussia, Upper Silesia)
- Dark Grey: The Autonomous States (Bohemia-Moravia, Slovenia, German Switzerland)
- Pink Curve: Dome limit (fully opened / deactivated)
- Black Lines: Borders
- Grey Lines: Internal Borders
Key inside the map (in Poland).
German States (Länder)
- Berlin, Berlin
- Brandenburg, Potsdam
- Pomerania (Pommern), Stettin
- East Prussia (Ostpreußen), Königsberg
- Lower Silesia (Niederschlesien), Breslau
- Upper Silesia (Oberschlesien), Kattowitz
- Saxony-Anhalt (Sachsen-Anhalt), Magdeburg
- Lower Saxony (Niedersachsen), Hannover
- Schleswig-Holstein, Kiel
- Westphalia (Westfalen), Münster
- Rhineland (Rheinland), Düsseldorf
- West Prussia (Westpreußen), Danzig
- Posen, Posen
- Bavaria (Bayern), München
- Saxony (Sachsen), Dresden
- Württemberg, Stuttgart
- Baden, Karlsruhe
- Hesse (Hessen), Frankfurt am Main
- Thuringia (Thüringen), Weimar
- Mecklenburg, Schwerin
- Hamburg, Hamburg
- Palatinate (Pfalz), Saarbrücken
- Austria (Österreich), Wien
- Sudetenland, Reichenberg
- Bohemia-Moravia (Böhmen-Mähren), Prag (Praha)
- Alsace-Lorraine (Elsaß-Lothringen), Straßburg
- Luxembourg (Luxemburg), Luxemburg
- Slovenia (Slowenien), Laibach (Ljubljana)
- Adriatic Littoral (Adriatisches Küstenland), Triest
- German Switzerland (Schweiz), Bern
Special Districts (Sonderkreise)
- A. Hirn, None
- B. Hitler, Obersalzberg
- C. Liechtenstein, Vaduz
- D. Lebensraum Island, Lebensraum
Technically not alternate history but I'll move back onto doing that, just experiementing with styles. Been a while since I last posted a map. During this time, I've been learning QGIS and Blender to create better maps. Let me know if you have any feedback!
This map’s purpose is to provide a Scottish perspective of the isle of Great Britain. This is achieved through the use of Scots language, a south-east orientation, and a perspective at an angle of 35°.
1. Generating TIFF
a. Download relief data and merge into one file covering area.
b. Reproject TIFF and clip by extent.
c. Resample TIFF to a lower resolution to avoid noise when rendering.
d. Rescale TIFF to a much greater scale to avoid terracing.
i. Formula: “ReSampled TIFF” / 1250 x 65535
e. Translate TIFF to Unt16.
2. Generate High Resolution Base Image.
3. Import Base Image as the base colour of a plane and Translated TIFF into Blender with its colour corresponding to the displacement height of the plane’s material output (Midlevel 0.5 and Scale 0.1).
a. Angle camera at 35° for perspective.
4. Import rendered image into Inkscape to label.
5. Export as final image.
Shaded relief from…
Jarvis A., H.I. Reuter, A. Nelson, E. Guevara, 2008, Hole-filled seamless SRTM data V4, International Centre for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT), available from srtm.csi.cgiar.org.
British coastline, Roads and motorways from…
Ordnance Survey Strategi: Contains OS data © Crown copyright and database right 2018, available from www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/busin…
Major rivers and inland water from…
Made with Natural Earth. Free vector and raster map data, available from www.naturalearthdata.com/downl…
Other coastlines from…
GADM v3.6 © 2018 GADM, available from gadm.org/data.html
If it has one, a town in Britain will use its Scots placename. If not, it will be Scots-icised through this process…
· Placenames with the suffix ‘-ton’ changed to ‘-toun.’
· Placenames with the suffix ‘-pool’ changed to ‘-puil.’
· Placenames with the suffix ‘-ing’ changed to ‘-in.’
· Placenames with the suffix ‘-brough’ or ‘-borough’ changed to ‘-burgh.’
· Placenames with the ‘ar’ sound (i.e. Carlisle, Scarborough) changed to an ‘air’ sound.
· Placenames with the ‘ou’ sound (i.e. Plymouth, Portsmouth) changed to an ‘oo’ sound.
…going with the theme of the map of inversing the process of Anglicisation done in cartography by Scots-icising English placenames just as England-orientated maps Anglicise Scottish placenames. (All placenames in Scotland use their Scots placenames.)
God, i really love when people do perspective maps, a really beautiful one!
Also here's the map i made for the last Map Telephone game
"It’s a Bandal/Vandal (Romance North African) map of the alexandrine Roman Protectorate (Autoritu) of what is a continuation of the semi legendary Batembuzi (Temvuzi) kingdom, a kingdom which IRL is supposed to have existed in Uganda at the turn of the last millennium, before the Kitara Empire"