Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
So good news, since my PE class is in the english room, for whatever reason, I can work on a map on my laptop, and it's going to be about the Federation of Azania, aka what happens when a liberal south africa revolts against the british unionists (alt fascism)

not when half of the world's on your side
Oh, I get it, 'cause it already your property.
8Ahatd2_d.jpg

The main problem I'm seeing is that with the base map I have, the distortion at mid-latitudes gets quite severe, and it's virtually impossible to eyeball some of the latitude/longitude points. In order to reduce the distortion (seen in the curvy longitude lines), I may have to halve the distance between sampling points, which means the project will take four times as long.

I dread to think what the Mongolian version of this will look like.

Mongolia is sort of self-wanking, isn't it? Although I would argue that any Mongol state which manages to survive into the era of televisions, ICBMs, and tomato juice in a can [1] as a Great Power is a wank. It's hard to run an empire from horseback: it's harder to set industrial policy.

[1] Tomato juice is some corrosive shit, and requires some pretty solid can-technology.

The P.O.D. is that the American Revolution fails miserably, and as a result the French Revolution is not only much worse, but it also end's up evolving into a movement to unite Europe under one banner and purge it of all "non European" influences.

Nice map, but Europe at the time of the French revolution was a lot whiter and more Christian than today: not quite sure what are these non-European influences they're trying to purge, aside from (of course :closedtongue: ) the Jews. How democratic (or not) is Grand Europa by 1900?

Nice map, but Europe at the time of the French revolution was a lot whiter and more Christian than today: not quite sure what are these non-European influences they're trying to purge, aside from (of course :closedtongue: ) the Jews. How democratic (or not) is Grand Europa by 1900?
It's more of a fascisty form of negative reaction to colonialism, though funnily enough, I imagine that Jews would be fairly well respected, with the understanding that they have been a part of Europe for as long as Christianity. Really it's best described as a form of cultural fascism, basically having developed out of the same style of fear mongering and scapegoating as Nazism did in our time line, so many of its core tenants are based on madness and lunacy. Basically they don't really care much for the color of your skin, just as long as you don't show any signs of adopting "non-European" customs. As far as democracy is concerned, not very. Citizens are allowed to elected local leaders and even what political parties are in power, but on a national level it's purely a matter of what the emperor and senate say.

Mongolia is sort of self-wanking, isn't it? Although I would argue that any Mongol state which manages to survive into the era of televisions, ICBMs, and tomato juice in a can [1] as a Great Power is a wank. It's hard to run an empire from horseback: it's harder to set industrial policy.

[1] Tomato juice is some corrosive shit, and requires some pretty solid can-technology.
I'd wager such a state would be, at best, a loose federation of Eurasian khanates bound together by common laws, religion, a Mongol/Turkificated elite and maybe language.
At worst, it'd be just an oversized Yuan China.

I'd wager such a state would be, at best, a loose federation of Eurasian khanates bound together by common laws, religion, a Mongol/Turkificated elite and maybe language.
To be honest, I'd wonder what Greece would look like. Most likely it would be a wank of Alexander's empire, not the Byzantine empire, as the former spanned more land. It would be religiously tolerant and a multicultural melting pot. Christianity would probably gain popularity amongst the ruling class, and eventually become the state religion. Over time, the various regions of the empire would be divided amongst exarchs or some other religious leaders to facilitate easier administration. In the modern day, the Empire of the Hellenes would probably have an Afro-Eurasian base, with overseas extensions in the Americas and Oceania, and have China or Tawantinsuyu as its main rival.

To be honest, I'd wonder what Greece would look like. Most likely it would be a wank of Alexander's empire, not the Byzantine empire, as the former spanned more land. It would be religiously tolerant and a multicultural melting pot. Christianity would probably gain popularity amongst the ruling class, and eventually become the state religion. Over time, the various regions of the empire would be divided amongst exarchs or some other religious leaders to facilitate easier administration. In the modern day, the Empire of the Hellenes would probably have an Afro-Eurasian base, with overseas extensions in the Americas and Oceania, and have China or Tawantinsuyu as its main rival.

I wouldn't overestimate the power of Christianity to spread. Sure it got very lucky IOTL, but it's insane how popular other axial age religions were in Rome IOTL before Christianity gained its official status, many were almost or completely on par with Christianity for a long time. Considering Alexander's empire included Persia, there would be even more options as Persia was a breeding ground for new religions or cults and sub-sects at the time and there would be much greater contact with the east.

Well, here's another one of these.

Couple explanatory bits: Palestinian national identity (beyond their identity as south Syrian Arabs) is a product of their conflict with the Israelis, so I went with late PODs. Similarly for Nigeria, which didn't exist as a unified entity before British colonialism (so I felt free to bulk it up a bit, Males Rising style.) I admit I cheated a bit on Panama, but honestly there's only so much you can do with a small and jungly part of the Spanish Empire fated by location to be best known as the site of a canal. (Idea of the capital of the Spanish Empire being there taken from Xanthoc.)

sweet fuck that's some jpeg

Which, of course, is something I want to avoid...

Really it's best described as a form of cultural fascism, basically having developed out of the same style of fear mongering and scapegoating as Nazism did in our time line, so many of its core tenants are based on madness and lunacy.

Yeah, but Nazi fear mongering was based on things people were exercised about, people actually were worried about Communists and the Jewish Conspiracy and were very resentful about the results of WWI. Reaction against colonialism, OTOH? The French at this point hardly have any colonial empire left, nobody east of the Netherlands and west of Russia has one worth mentioning, and what do the existence of British, Spanish and Portuguese colonial empires have to do with the price of fish in Marseilles? Now, I can see an alt-French revolution developing a strongly Eurocentric ideology (at least in part out of sour grapes due to Britain ruling the waves) which sees colonialism as fundamentally bad both for Europe and for other peoples. But it's not going to work as something that is going to rally Europeans to the revolution: from the point of view of your average German, the notion that the French emperor is anti-colonialist is as good an argument for subjecting themselves to his rule as the Emperor being great at flower arrangement. (To clarify my meaning, such an ideology will be important in establishing how united Europe interacts with the rest of the world: but it's not going to be very important in unifying Europe in the first place, IMHO. )

Couple other thoughts: is Russia not in the British block because they are afraid of being attacked by Grand Europe if they seem too pro-British? Or do they just not like the cut of Britain's jib? (Or both. I suppose Russia doesn't really need an alliance if Grand Europe thinks Russia is non-European and therefore too icky to conquer).

Mughals in India? Isn't the POD a bit late - should be Marathas, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.