Map Thread XIX

deseret1914.png

THE KINGDOM OF DESERET - 1914
The Kingdom of Deseret, known to many outsiders as the "Mormon Empire", is a state on the Pacific Coast of North America. Geographically, the nation is sandwiched between the Mexican Empire and Republic of California, with various overseas territories scattered throughout the Asia-Pacific region. Deseret's capital city is Nephi, founded by Brigham Young on the banks of the Colorado River in 1848 after the Mormon arrival in the area. San Diego is the most populous and influential city within the Kingdom, with the city serving as its gateway to the rest of the world.​
Many overseas territories of the Kingdom were originally fruits of missionary efforts abroad. These efforts would take off in the 1860s and would put Deseret in​
contention with various colonial Empires in the Pacific, such as the Japanese, British, and Germans. In 1895, Deseret would be granted a small concession in Tientsin from China after the Shanghai Agreement, which would also grant the nation ownership of an island off the coast of Shanghai and assure the protection of Mormons within the Qing Empire. The concession would be expanded in 1901, as recognition of Deseret's assistance to China during the Boxer Rebellion.​
Now, as Europe appears to be gearing towards war, the Kingdom of Deseret is positioning itself to be neutral in any upcoming conflict, as it aims to preserve its overseas holdings, which could easily be threatened by the likes of Japan, Britain, and Germany. The latter nation appears to especially be eyeing up a potential attack on Deseret, namely in Cavite, which they consider to be a thorn within their colony of the Philippines.​

Last edited:
I've always really liked the idea of diverse colonial empires. The grand extent of some empires really doesn't do it for me- I want to see more people than the English, French, Portuguese and Spanish going out and committing atrocities in the name of their kings abroad. And so, I put this together.

Denmark.png

As most worlda fragments are, this is part of a series. Expect more soon.

I've always really liked the idea of diverse colonial empires. The grand extent of some empires really doesn't do it for me- I want to see more people than the English, French, Portuguese and Spanish going out and committing atrocities in the name of their kings abroad. And so, I put this together.

View attachment 517568

As most worlda fragments are, this is part of a series. Expect more soon.
How did eriksonland become more populated than that part of the prairies?

No seriously, I always love worldbuilding like this. Makes it feel more alive. Fantastic work.
Thanks! I've noticed a problem with several of my scenarios is that they feel kind of detached and impersonal, so I've been trying to work on that.

I like this! The steadily liberalizing white nationalist USA is something you don't see much of, and the complex world-building is delightful. My only complaint is that the colors for the IRI and the USAM are a little too similar.

Questions;
-Is the Nazi state that one in Azerbaijan?
-Why did the Sunni Arabs go with Assyria for their name instead of Syria or Mashreq?
-Who's the country in Greece?
-What about the independent states in the UAE and the straits of Hormuz?
-Who's the country in Cuba?

I've got to do my own cover of a Rio Grande/Mesopotamia ISOT now.
The IRI and USAM colors don't look too similar to me (I tried to get a brownish-gray and bluish-gray for them, respectively), but then again, I think the color receptor cells in my eyes might be screwed up to some extent (I have an appointment scheduled in February to check up on that). The White Republic is the country in Azerbaijan, yes. The Assyrians ended up picking the name in hopes of calling back to the Assyrian Empire- I meant it to be ironic what with all the bad luck they've had since the ISOT. The countries in Greece, the UAE, the Straits of Hormuz, and Cuba are all countries established by American, Mexican, or Iraqi men-who-would-be-kings over the years and are mostly alright places to live, if a bit religious, though the folks controlling the Straits of Hormuz have recently become big fans of making the Amero-Mexicans pay prices verging on exorbitant to let boats in and out of the Gulf, which will probably lead to the Amero-Mexicans getting fed up and just annexing them in less than a decade.

Good show, Alexander North!

(Man, ISIL: you know your version of Islam is crappy when it drives Muslims to convert to a religion that has been largely out of fashion for thirteen centuries).
Thanks!

minor linguistic quibble: if things have improved, conflict has cooled, but relations have become warmer.
1579477573786.png

The Confederate Civil War - 1891 A.D.

This map is a remake of another quite bad map I made a few months ago for a small mini-timeline about a Confederate victory with a twist. The events of the Civil War itself are left ambiguous since the idea of the Confederacy achieving victory over the Union is quite frankly pretty unrealistic and the initial Southern war of independence isn't really the main focus, so I'll just leave it at quiet muttering about Order 191 and something about tacit European support. With all that said, here's a brief summary of the lore:
My immediate thought when reading this? Seems like it would be a hard sell getting a J. Brown elected as head of the slavocrat wing. Was he clean shaven?

9EC47351-3048-4851-8A9B-414844FCB0C8.jpeg

Map from my universe where superhumans (about 10% of the world’s population, almost all of them in the Americas) and weird science exist, thus allowing for some things to change, but unfortunately some things just won’t.

D-Day began with the invasion of Germany itself in the Nordenham-Wilhelmshaven area. The coast was moderately defended as most German assets were moved to France to defend the area they thought the invasion would come from. Thanks to that there was little standing in the way of the Allies swiftly over-running the rotten heart of the Reich.

Current date on the map is November 1944, about two months after this world’s equivalent of the Battle of the Bulge, which took place along the former German-Polish border. The SS struggles to keep its offensive going and fend off the Soviets, who despite overwhelming odds and a massive technological disadvantage are pushing west. The Wehrmacht is nearly trying to hold off Allied offensives into occupied Norway and Spain all at the same time. Whether it’ll take continued offensive action or if the Reich will implode on its own remains to be seen.

Last edited:
View attachment 517850

Map from my universe where superhumans (about 10% of the world’s population, almost all of them in the Americas) and weird science exist.

D-Day began with the invasion of Germany itself in the Nordenham-Wilhelmshaven area. The coast was moderately defended as most German assets were moved to France to defend the area they thought the invasion would come from. Thanks to that there was little standing in the way of the Allies swiftly over-running the rotten heart of the Reich.

Current date on the map is November 1944, about two months after this world’s equivalent of the Battle of the Bulge, which took place along the former German-Polish border. The SS struggles to keep its offensive going and fend off the Soviets, who despite overwhelming odds and a massive technological disadvantage are pushing west. The Wehrmacht is nearly trying to hold off Allied offensives into occupied Norway and Spain all at the same time. Whether it’ll take continued offensive action or if the Reich will implode on its own remains to be seen.
Superscience, superhero... have nazis and/or soviets something like that too? Even if less (especialy with fall of most of Germany...)
Also 10 %... this is really much, maybe too much...
Will there be Alpenfestung?
Also, some of borders does not fit, why? And what happened to norther Denmark, some experiment going wrong/right?

So here is my first map of the new decade!

Backstory:
While the Empire was one of the victors of the Great War, it was becoming clear that without serious structural reforms, it would soon face it’s dissolution. During the war years the Monarchy was suffering from an internal crisis and unrest amongst the multiple nationalities within its borders, the largest of these unrests where mostly concentrated among the Empire’s Southern Slavic nationalities who were divided between the various subdivisions of the Monarchy. Before and during the war, various proposals were suggested to unite these lands but these were vetoed by the Hungarians. At first the Yugoslav faction in the Transleithanian kingdom of Croatia-Slavonia pushed for the unification of all the lands in the Habsburg monarchy populated by Slovenes, Croats, and Serbs into an independent entity. During the last year of the war, The People's organizations of Slovenes, Croats and Serbs was set up in Split,Sušak and Ljubljana. As it became apparent that the Central Powers would win the Great War, the Trialist faction headed by the Party of Rights became dominant, and stated that it’s goal would be an autonomous South Slavic kingdom equal to Austria and Hungary. To further this goal, it would send a delegation to see Emperor Karl, who had always been sympathetic to the cause. Karl agreed and signed the trialist manifesto on the condition that the Hungarian part does the same since he swore an oath on the integrity of the Hungarian crown. The next day the delegation went to Budapest, and presented the manifest to the Hungarian Council of Ministers led by Hungarian prime minister Sándor Wekerle, who released the king from his oath, and signed the manifest. And thus on the 22 October 1918, the Dual Monarchy became the Triple Monarchy.

However trouble was on the horizon, as Werkerle was ousted from his position and the new Hungarian government did not recognize the new state. On the 29th of October the hastily organized Sabor, who was recognized by almost all the waring authorities, declared the end of union between Hungary and Croatia, and the establishment of the Kingdom of Slovenes, Croats, and Serbs under the Habsburg Monarchy. This new state also had the ambition to annex the occupied Montenegro and Serbia into the kingdom, but this was vetoed by Austria and Hungary. As peace talks were beginning to be organized,the three constituent kingdom's as the successors to the old Austro-Hungarian Empire where allowed to negotiate a separate peace with the defeated Allied Powers. As peace was returning to Europe, there was still the awkward situation between Hungary and the Kingdom of Slovenes, Croats and Serbs, which was essentially two parts of the same monarchy refusing to recognize each other. With the mediation of the German Empire and Austria, a temporary agreement was reached and it was expected that new negotiations where to be held shortly after. During these negotiations (which where now known as the second Ausgleich), all the details where hammered out on how the new Monarchy would function. The kingdom of Slovenes, Croats and Serbs, now taking on the name Illyria, after the old Roman province would consist of the Kingdom of Dalmatia, Kingdom of Croatia-Slavonia, Duchy of Carniola and the parts of the Duchy of Styria and Carinthia which held a significant Slavic population. The Littoral province and Bosnia would also be included within its borders but would function as autonomous regions where the population would be in a political sense equal to the Croats, Slovenes and Serbs. Illyria also occupied Montenegro, and was reassured that it could hold a referendum on the annexation of it into the kingdom. Serbia however was barred from eventual unification and the area’s in the Banat which had a Slavic population remained with Hungary.

Austria, now led by a Social-Democratic government also granted a high degree of autonomy to it’s non-German Territories. Bohemia, Moravia and Silesia were merged into a Czech State, Galicia became a Trilingual territory with Germans, Poles, and Ruthenians all granted an equal status as did the Romanians in Bukovina. The newly annexed province of Veneto was merged with the Italian speaking areas in South Tyrol and also received and autonomous statute within the Austrian state. Hungary for it’s part made Slovak and Romanian co-official languages in the Kingdom but did not go as far as to create several autonomous areas, as the Hungarian government tried to consolidate its power after the turbulent few years after the war. All three kingdoms would be de facto independent from each other both with its own parliament, military and institutions. The three nations would be linked with each other through a trade and monetary union as well as a military defense pact and common foreign policy and diplomacy. They also would share the same head of state, which was emperor Karl. The power of the Emperor was greatly reduced and he served as a constitutional monarch. To further help cooperation between the separate kingdoms, a common council was founded in Vienna. This council could help mediate eventual conflicts and set a common trade,monetary and foreign policy if the parliaments of the member states agreed.