Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Minnesota_Nationalist and @Historyman 14 I think they prefer to be called Sámi, not "Lapps".

He did indicate it was written from an in-universe perspective.

^ This. Also, ITTL, it would make a lot of sense for the archaic name to stick around, considering that that is the name that they were known in the period when they did a large, defining thing (possibly the most important thing they did according to the other Europeans whose perspective this is presumably written from). There are a lot of groups that end up keeping historical names as exonyms if they did something big that was recorded under that name. If the Sami had an important kingdom later (possible considering how big they got under Ruttu, they might hold onto relevance for a long time after that), they may be remembered under their native name, but, even then, they might struggle to change it (think about how long it took for Czechs to stop being called Bohemians by the rest of the world, and IIRC, that was, in part, because the name came to be applied to the Roma).

Honestly, this is both horrifying, but cool at the same time.

I can only assume Ruttu's Empire falls apart without him as he seem to only war and conquer. (So an kinda Timur the Lame.)

I honestly wouldn't mind an sequel if you may how the regions of Europe recover and the fate of the Lapps if they can hold onto anything or not.
Yeah, Ruttu's empire collapses basically instantly after his death, as it's only propped up his military skill. By the end of the decade, all major cities in the empire are independent of the empire or reconquered, and by the end of the century all territory outside of the Sami homeland is reconquered.

Alternate UK. Apologies if it has been done before.
EDIT: Result of an alternate timeline, where the London based Palace & Parliament moves to Dublin following the 1916 Proclamation of the British Republic.
*snip*

The first thing I thought, as I saw your map was something like....

maék.png

I`m sorry.^^ :closedeyesmile:

I like it!

eysv1rY.png

Here's a less wankish (more realistic/organic) map of of the Second French Empire I previously made a map of. It's based on a timeline where's there's no Hundred Days Campaign and Napoleon II lives. In this timeline Napoleon I dies in battle against the forces of the coalition in defense of France and goes down as a hero. Without the Hundred Days France comes out in a strong position after the war. Without the additional loss of life from further fighting, France's demographics are less strained and its economy is in better shape from France possessing its 1792 borders which include provinces part of the Rhineland. This also has the effect of several Napoleonic marshals and veterans who in otl were killed for treason against the Bourbons, to live longer when the Eaglet returns to France.

Events occur similar to otl where the Bourbons continue to be unpopular, and Charles X's weird combination of naivete and misguided bellicosity causes him to embark on his counterrevolutionary agenda to roll back some of the liberal elements of the Charter of 1814. This leads to the 1830 uprising which is worse for the Royals than otl. This uprising involves rioting in the streets of Paris that sees Charles's son the Duc de Berry (Duc is French for Duke) assassinated and his other son, Louis XIX the Duc d'Angouleme seriously wounded. These events subsequently prompts the Royal Family including the House of Orleans to flee from France with a full scale Revolution occurring. This Revolution results in the Second French Republic being proclaimed in Paris, though it doesn't enjoy much support as it conjures up unpleasant memories all across France about the First Republic which was a failure. The Bonapartists who experience more support due to Napoleon I's legacy being seen more favorably are also active, and begin issuing propaganda about France's glory days under a Bonaparte rather than the "tyrannical" Bourbons. As a result various figures are now struggling to take control of France in the ensuing power vacuum with the Powers of Congress of Vienna scrambling to mobilize their armies.

Napoleon II who unlike his otl counterpart, manages to earn command of an Austrian battalion in Tyrol. Once news reaches him of the instability in France, he establishes contact with some prominent Bonpartists among the rank and file army who served Napoleon I and among the French peerage who were elevated to their titles under Napoleon I during the Empire and King Louis XVII during the Bourbon Restoration. Old French Marshals like Davout who as a result of butterflies, manages to live longer and throws his weight behind the Eaglet allowing for large portions of the French army to defect to the Eaglet. Napoleon II portrays himself as a man wanting to restore order and stability to France. His lack of connection to the past 15 years of politics also allows him to appeal to many different groups. He wins over the Conservatives by invoking the image of previous French Kings, the darker aspects of the Revolution, and France's Catholicism and ancient traditions. To the moderates and liberals, he appeals to them by promising social reforms and refers to the liberals ideas of the Revolution that his father in his creation of the French Empire helped preserve and expand upon. To the rural peasantry and urban poor, he promise reforms and to increase their voice in government as he is Napoleon II the Emperor of the French. This is basically similar to how Napoleon III won over people for his coup and return to power in 1848 and 1852. Though unlike his cousin from otl, Napoleon II is taken much more seriously due the fact that he hasn't many failed coups before this.

Napoleon II marches on Paris and begins restoring order within the city. Though due to his own inexperience in leading troops, he delegates these duties to his subordinate commanders. Napoleon then is soon after crowned within Notre-Dame as Emperor Napoleon II by Grace of God and Constitutions. While Napoleon III in otl had a referendum issued before he took power, Napoleon II due to his upbringing as a Habsburg, simply reinstates his father's 1812 Constituition with some modifications in it. Napoleon II later justifies this by citing how he was automatically Emperor after his father's by right of Salic Law and the Imperial French Constitution. Napoleon II reinstates the old Napoleonic war veterans to their posts and prominent men like Davout help depart their knowledge about French military strategy to the young Emperor.

Napoleon II also makes great attempts to assure the Powers of the Congress of Vienna that he was committed to maintaining peace and order within Europe. He also works to try and mend relations with the UK as well. He visits London and attends the coronation of Queen Victoria whom he impresses along with the rest of the British court and government. Napoleon II through this warming of relations secures British Capital flowing into France, and greater trade which helps boost French industrial output. This combined with the coal from the Rhineland helps France be more industrialized than otl. Napoleon II also pursues similar reforms like his cousin did, and manages to rebuild Paris and construct new infrastructure within France itself. He also works to improve the working conditions of the urban poor which allows him to use them as powerful base of power. With the French upper middle class and elites, the increased trade between Britain and the increased social standing brought by the restored Imperial system and increased trade with the UK endears them to the young Eaglet.

Napoleon II marries Princess Maximiliana of Bavaria (she died in otl in 1821 but lives as a result of butterflies) securing a marriage alliance to it. Meanwhile while Napoleon II builds up the army and industry of his fledgling French Empire, trouble brews within Spain and Portugal. Portugal unlike otl doesn't lose Brazil with it reforming into the Portuguese Imperial Commonwealth under Dom Pedro IV (Pedro I of Brazil). Pedro takes Portugal in a more liberal direction which causes a backlash among the reactionaries wishing for the absolutists system to be restored. This results in Pedro's brother Miguel raising a rebellion which is subsequently defeated with Prince Miguel going into exile. Similar instability plagued Latin America and Spain itself as its ancient Empire collapsed around it. Spain however managed to retain control of its Empire due to the revolt of Rafael del Riego not occurring. Due to King Fernando VII not having a son a succession dispute which later becomes the Carlist Wars ensues between the Infante Don Carlos who styles himself as King Carlos V of Spain and the daughter of Ferdinand VII, Isabella II of Spain. Isabella II was supported by the more liberal members within the government who wish for there to be liberal Constitution in Spain. Napoleon II who was shaped by the old world absolutism of his Hapbsburg grandfather, and the Revolutionary absolutism of his father, chooses to officially remain neutral in the war while tacitly supporting the Carlists. Napoleon II later offers the Carlists asylum after the combined liberal Spanish force and Portuguese forces result in the Carlists' subsequent defeat in the First Carlist War. Napoleon would later offer his support to them in the Second Carlist War as he became more conservative with age and sought to fuse his traditional upbringing under the Habsburgs with the Bonapartist philosophy of his father.

Napoleon while not expanding in Europe, does manage to successfully conquer the rest of Algeria which was stalled under King Charles X. This give the French Army and Napoleon himself critical military experience which would come in handy later for the other wars in Europe. Napoleon's diplomatic approach, and better treatment of the native Algerians which made the conquest go smoother than otl. He also works to integrate the native Algerians and Berbers into the new province after negotiating separate agreements with each tribes that allows them autonomy and local rule under French suzerainty.

Russia in 1830 is dealing with a worse November uprising in Poland which makes Nicholas I more reactionary and distrustful of any liberal policies or reforms. Napoleon though welcomes in Polish exiles after the November Uprising was crushed. These Polish exiles go on to form the Polish Legion who distinguished themselves on the battlefield many times in service of Napoleon II.

In the 18 years leading up to 1848, Napoleon II reforms mainland France by rebuilding the Grand Armee and encouraging more industrialization allows France to be stronger in terms of economic might. Napoleon II also works to correct France's looming demographic crisis with his government which passes natalist policies to encourage families to have more children with incentives and tax-breaks. Napoleon also encourages French settlement Algeria and works to restore North Africa as the breadbasket of France as it was for the Romans over a millenia ago.

In 1848 revolution breaks out in Italy with the Hungarians revolting against the Austrians. Other revolts also break out in Italy with nationalists calling for a unified Italy and an end to Austrian domination. Napoleon II while the titular King of Rome was hesitant to intervene due to the fact that the Austrians still were his family. The Italian kingdom of Piedmont is defeated by Marshal Joseph von Radetzky. Though he is hit by a stray bullet when he marched against the Hungarians which was a devastating blow to the Austrians and a major morale boost for the Hungarians who acclaim their own separate Kingdom independent of the centuries long Habsburg rule. The proclamation of the Roman Republic in Rome, sees the Pope ousted from the St. Peter's throne where he flees to France. The idea of Revolutionary forces storming the center of the Catholic world causes outrage all throughout France and Catholic Europe. Napoleon II then leads a force into Rome where he restores the Pope. He invokes the ancient bond between French Kings and the Pope starting with Peppin and Charlemagne and has the Pope recognizes him as King of Italy while also bestowing him with the title of Defender of the Faith. He also appeals to Italian nationalists by promising to unify Italy in a confederation headed by the Pope. Armed with this massive boost in popularity, he then moves on to Northern Italy to reclaim his title as the Le Roi de Rome (The King of Rome). However the large amount of troops gathered at the Piedmontese border causes skirmishes which blow up into full blown attacks. This prompts Napoleon to the lands of Piedmont between the Kingdom of Italy and the mainland French Empire itself. This was done to eliminate any rival contenders to the title of King of Italy/Rome, as Napoleon II saw the Piedmontese Kings as usurpers to his title that his father bestowed upon him as an infant. Napoleon also with the Pope's blessing invades the Kingdom of Two Sicilies which is facing unrest due to unrest from among the Sicilians due to their lack of autonomy. Napoleon makes promises to ensure land reform for the peasantry, and autonomy for the Sicilians which allows him to enter Southern Italy virtually unopposed. He then installs his cousins by Joseph Bonaparte as the Kings of Sicily and Naples and incorporates their domains into the Italian Confederation. The Italian Confederation is made up of the various states: the Kingdom of Italy (basically Northern Italy whose King is Napoleon II), the Papal states who holds all its traditional lands, the Kingdom of Naples, the Kingdom of Sicily, and later the Kingdom of Sardinia which he incorporates by force after he takes Southern Italy.

In regards to the Rhineland, another Belgian revolt breaks out (the first one was suppressed by the Dutch after the Bourbons were ousted), and Napoleon dusts off the proposed Talleyrand plan to partition Belgium, and arranges for France to get Wallonia while the Netherlands retains East Flanders and Antwerp. This culminates in the French invasion of Wallonia to forcefully annex these provinces. This increase in French territory in the Rhine helps to boost his own popularity while alarming and angering German nationalists.

For Austria, things looked bleak as Hungary was essentially an independent nation. It had also lost its Italian lands to Napoleon and was now a sort of rump state with shaky control in Bohemia and Austria proper as liberal revolutionaries also rose up demanding a Constitution. The Hungarians had rallied behind Lajos Kossuth who was essentially proclaimed as its King by the Hungarian Diet. Though his policy of Magyarization alienated many of the ethnic minorities living inside Hungary and would prove to be his downfall. Archduchess Sophie who was friends with Napoleon II and the mother of Franz Joseph appeals to Napoleon to aid her son. Napoleon obliges and thus marches into Austria with the scattered remnants of the Austrian army joining him in crushing the Revolutionary uprisings in Budapest. From there the Grand Armee marches on Budapest and crushes the Hungarians at the Battle of Pest. Napoleon II also encouraged the other minorities living within Hungary to support their Habsburg overlords and take up arms against the Hungarians. After the battle the Hungarian nobility was gutted by Franz Joseph who with the advice of Napoleon II, had their lands seized and broken up to be added into the Hungarian Crownlands or redistributed among the peasantry. This earned the Habsburgs some control of Hungary and a base of support from among the peasantry while it angered the middle class and the remaining nobility. Austria however would sign a series of economic agreements and an alliance with the French Empire, and due to all the unrest and shaky control of Hungary, it would be unstable and emerge as a de-facto dependent/client state of France.

The other German states in a Frankfurt style Congress unite around Prussia in a loose Confederation known as the North German Confederation. This state is centered around Prussia whose King surrendered to the Revolutions in TTL (this timeline) when they surrounded Berlin, and unified most of Germany around Prussian hegemony. Though Bavaria and the other Southern States join a rival South German confederation in the French orbit. The formation of a rival state on his Rhine border alarms Napoleon who prepares to go to war to retake the Rhineland and crush Prussia once and for all. Britain sees a continental ally/partner in the North German Confederation and works to support it as a counterbalance to the resurgent French Empire. The map depicts Europe before the outbreak of the War of the Seventh Coalition in 1867.

This is map and synopsis is mostly a proof of concept for a timeline I plan on writing sometime later in 2020. What do you guys think of this?

Edit:
*There's an error on the map. Iceland is mislabeled as Ireland. Please disregard that stray error.*

I prefer the first wank map. And I'm not just saying that because I'm French. :p

I prefer the first wank map. And I'm not just saying that because I'm French. :p
Though based on the French wank map timeline the political situation depicted in the current map would be right before Napoleon II crushes the upstart Prussians and begins his conquest of Europe like his father before him. That’s why it’s called the War is the Seventh coalition in TTL.

And I'm not just saying that because I'm French. :p
Vive le France!
Vive l'Aiglon invaincu! (Long live the undefeated Eaglet!)

Though based on the French wank map timeline the political situation depicted in the current map would be right before Napoleon II crushes the upstart Prussians and begins his conquest of Europe like his father before him. That’s why it’s called the War is the Seventh coalition in TTL.

Vive le France!
Vive l'Aiglon invaincu! (Long live the undefeated Eaglet!)

"Le" France ? LA FRANCE !!!! HON ! HON ! HON !
I can't wait to read your timeline if you ever write it down! ;)

Ridingsdisplaycase.png

The current Concordian federal ridings as of 30 IE, comprised of up to 594 single-member districts, the Concordian Confederation practices first-past-the-post voting in their federal election. Ridings are redrawn according to the decennial census made, which all State Electoral Commissions draw in their state which the Federal Electoral Commission of Concordia overseers as means to prevent snaked districts (equivalent to gerrymandering). The next time these ridings will be up for redistricting will be after the census in the 40th year.

Deleted member 101966

🌹 Alberta Land 🍁
Life and Livelihood in Canada's Princess Province (DA link)

ddnd5ge-8d56433a-e3cc-4bdd-ae26-fc464332b6a5.jpg

Project of about a year: I was working on it while visiting every county in the province. Not to brag but (hack, sputter, cough) this is the version that took home Best in Design at the 2019 NACIS Student Map Competition. Currently working on getting a remastered 2nd Edition published in Calgary.

Really fun to work on, mostly because of that juicy land cover layer. The whole thing is a product of QGIS and Inkscape, and incorporates no paid-access data whatsoever. For a reference map, I tried to add an unusual amount of historical detail. Highlights:

- 📜 Numbered Treaties: No existing government shapefile accurately describes these, so I used the original treaty texts to reconstruct my own version.
- 😶 Indian reserve surrenders: Most took place under circumstances we would now call fraudulent. Rarely depicted on maps, but increasingly relevant to modern court cases.
- 🚉 Abandoned railways: In the pre-automotive era, farm income depended on rail access. This created an overbuilt network of branch lines, in terminal decline since the 1960s.
- ⛪ Hutterite colonies: Ultra-conservative Christian communes responsible for more than 10% of Alberta's agricultural output. Archaic Low German is spoken, but there are no prohibitions against industrial technology.
- 🛢️ Oil sands mines: A patchwork of companies operate leases north of Fort McMurray. Each takes decades to exploit, with temporary camps housing tens of thousands of workers.
- ♾️ Métis settlements: Alberta is the only province with an official Métis land base, created as a relief program in the 1930s. Intended as farmland, their remote locations have yielded mixed results.
- ⚔️ Military lands: Generations of British airmen have trained at the enormous Cold Lake and Suffield ranges.

If you're interested in this kind of stuff, check out the CaGIS Map Design Competition, which is still accepting entries (for $10 plus postage) until January 31.

Last edited by a moderator:
well, this new update is interesting. i thought i was gonna lose my mind when the site was down. anyways, i made a new map. and… i don't even know what I was trying to make

Attachments

• 1578075273429.png
    1578075273429.png
    57 KB · Views: 709
Status
Not open for further replies.