Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long story short, this is an old idea for an alternate South Africa that I had previously posted when I was new to the site. I had previously posted it on DeviantArt, but decided that it was natural I posted it on this site as well.

africa-map-cities-alt-copy-jpg.375963

I may reuse some older ideas from this to create alternate versions of both the Boer Republics and Rhodesia, as part of a greater TL I hope to produce one day.
TTL's South Africa did a pretty good job redesigning the flag but damn if I don't like this new flag quite a bit as well.

Long story short, this is an old idea for an alternate South Africa that I had previously posted when I was new to the site. I had previously posted it on DeviantArt, but decided that it was natural I posted it on this site as well.

I may reuse some older ideas from this to create alternate versions of both the Boer Republics and Rhodesia, as part of a greater TL I hope to produce one day.
I like the idea of a non-apartheid (?) South Africa from the start, also cool flag

Philip

Donor
I was digging through some old archives, and I came across this one I made for a map challenge about 10 years ago. I'm not entirely sure, but I think the POD was a consolidation of the remnants of the Western Empire under Theodoric the Great and his successors. The date of the map is likely AD 1253.
WesternHierarchy.png

That flag is gorgeous; nice work.

Another idea I had for an alternate WW2 where Spain is part of the Axis thanks to Franco taking over earlier.

Basically, the idea here is that after the war, Basque and Catalonia achieve independence. Resulting in an Iberia like this:
Spain post-war.png

Last edited:
2050.png
Long time lurker, first time poster. Here we go: (Still kind of a WIP though.) It's a future history timeline, and the map is of 2050.
View attachment 509321
Some of the highlights, in cartographic order:
- The United States of Europe, in blue. Formed in 2037 when most of the EU nations united. Is one of many superpowers. Has (what's left of) the UK, Zapadoslavia, and the -stans under its belt.
- Zapadoslavia, that beige country in eastern Europe. Formed form the parts of the EU that didn't want to become part of the USE.
- Russia got screwed after the Second Crimean War of 2021, losing Rostov to Ukraine and some of the Caucasus republics to the new nation of Ichkeria.
- Yes, Canada has a chunk of Siberia.
- United democratic China. United democratic Korea.
- India got horrendously messed up after the Indian Civil War of 2041, which also toppled dominoes eastwards into Bangladesh and Burma.
- The Middle East is a lot better off. In 2025, diplomats from every country (save Yemen and Egypt) met in Baghdad, sorted out all the borders, and formed an alliance called the Baghdad Pact. Fun fact: Most of the Empty Quarter is covered in solar panels.
- Not much happened in Africa or South America. Yet.
- Screwed USA which lost California, Texas, and the Pacific Northwest.
- Wanked superpower Canada which lost half of Quebec but gained Greenland, the Faroes, a bit of Siberia, and the Pacific Northwest.
- Some small colonies on the Moon and in Antarctica (in that order).

Last edited:
So I found this map on Facebook, and it looks interesting, so with which PoD you can make this work?

(Actually, it doesn't need to be a Kaiserreich, the idea of all those German states together is far more interesting, but I think it could be possible if the Protestant reformations never happens, its crushed early or it surges in other country, maybe the Netherlands or England)

qZA1TAv.jpg

Also, could the Trieste region can be considered an historical German province?

PD: If you could quote who's the creator of the map, it would be nice.

Aurantiacis

Gone Fishin'
Long time lurker, first time poster. Here we go: (Still kind of a WIP though.) It's a future history timeline, and the map is of 2050.
View attachment 509321
Some of the highlights, in cartographic order:
- The United States of Europe, in blue. Formed in 2037 when most of the EU nations united. Is one of many superpowers. Has (what's left of) the UK, Zapadoslavia, and the -stans under its belt.
- Zapadoslavia, that beige country in eastern Europe. Formed form the parts of the EU that didn't want to become part of the USE.
- Russia got screwed after the Second Crimean War of 2021, losing Rostov to Ukraine and some of the Caucasus republics to the new nation of Ichkeria.
- Yes, Canada has a chunk of Siberia.
- United democratic China. United democratic Korea.
- India got horrendously messed up after the Indian Civil War of 2041, which also toppled dominoes eastwards into Bangladesh and Burma.
- The Middle East is a lot better off. In 2025, diplomats from every country (save Yemen and Egypt) met in Baghdad, sorted out all the borders, and formed an alliance called the Baghdad Pact. Fun fact: Most of the Empty Quarter is covered in solar panels.
- Not much happened in Africa or South America. Yet.
- Screwed USA which lost California, Texas, and the Pacific Northwest.
- Wanked superpower Canada which lost half of Quebec but gained Greenland, the Faroes, a bit of Siberia, and the Pacific Northwest.
- Some small colonies on the Moon and in Antarctica (in that order).

Pretty good! There are a lot of artifacts around the map though (presumably from mapmaking), you should clean those out.

But, how can you call China unified when it loses such massive territories? I mean sure it gains Taiwan back, but it seems like a hollow victory to lose such territories. Especially Xinjiang, which is like 40% Han.

At this point, I expect only the SW, western Tarim basin area to become independent if China eventually gets into a liberal mode: the NE is heavily sinicized.

1024px-Xinjiang_nationalities_by_prefecture_2000.png

Pretty good! There are a lot of artifacts around the map though (presumably from mapmaking), you should clean those out.
Like what? (Apart from the off-colour lakes and the stuff outside the map, that's left over from when I used Zauberfloete's sea level rise basemap.)

Here are my next three Layers of irredentism maps: Ukraine, Poland and Israel.

LOI_Ukraine.png

Layer 1: What Ukraine currently controls as of 2019

Layer 2: What remains of the Donetsk and Luhansk republics

Layer 3: Crimea

Layer 4: Russian territory claimed by far-right Russophobic Ukrainian propaganda in 2014

Layer 5: Other territory Nazi Germany planned to give to Reichskommissariat Ukraine

Layer 6: Other notable Ukrainian irredentism

Layer 7: Moldova

Layer 8: The rest of Belarus

Layer 9: Kievan Rus territories in 1000 CE

LOI_Poland.png

Layer 1: Poland in the present day

Layer 2: Interwar Polish territory

Layer 3: Kaliningrad

Layer 4: Lithuania

Layer 5: The rest of Belarus

Layer 6: Territories controlled by Poland from around 1600 onwards

Layer 7: Territory to be given to Poland in one interpretation of the "Germany Must Perish" concept

Layer 8: Other West Slavic countries

Layer 9: Maximum extent of various interwar "Intermarium" ideas

LOI_Israel.png

Layer 1: Mostly-undisputed Israeli territory

Layer 2: Palestine and the Golan Heights

Layer 3: The Sinai Peninsula

Layer 4: Lebanon and Jordan

Layer 5: Theoretical maximum extent of "Greater Israel", everything between the Nile and Euphrates

Layer 6: "Klavan's One-State Solution", which suggests giving the entire Middle East to Israel

Layer 7: Other suggested Jewish states throughout history

Status
Not open for further replies.