Map Thread XIX

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by water123, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Uebeltank Just wanting a better world.

Well at least not my fault since those were taken from the previous map.

2. deleonism professional opinion haver

I think the Rhonish Kingdom not touching the Rhône is an intentional reference to Ducal Saxony not being in the historical lands of the Saxons at all.

3. Jürgen Well-Known Member

If you want to change the name, it’s pretty much the territory of the county and duchy of Burgundy, or farther back historical the kingdom of Upper Burgundy.

4. Bob Hope rarely online

Good first post.
    Love the Winged Hussar winged hussar.PNG

5. Bob Hope rarely online

Frustrating week-end waiting for a delivery but-
    EMAIL 2.png

APPENDIX 1
    APPENDIX 1k.png

APPENDIX 2
    APPENDIX 2f.png

APPENDIX 3

APPENDIX 3a.png

REPORT 4 [CORRUPTED]

REPORT 4 - CORRUPTED.png

6. Hindustani Person We live in a society :(

7. Hominid The Real Hominid

Finally, an independent Virginia that doesn't include a first-level administrative division called Virginia!

Seriously though, nice work.

8. VigilantSycamore Well-Known Member

Pretty much. I haven't figured out that many details for it, but I had the idea and thought it made for an interesting concept.

mythmonster2 likes this.
  9. Clandango Disestablishmentarianist

I don't think the Kingdom of Comte has any of the current Franche Comte in it. And looking it up, it seems it has the name for being a Free County, and not because of making it sound more French. I learned something new today. But yah, a game so I can't criticize.
    I feel the situation would be different in Myanmar. There is not enough of a unified population in Arakan for something like this and I don't see anyone around to support it. When studying up on it two years back I think I came over something where it said the government of Bangladesh basically disowned them as being people born in Myanmar or the sort of people who helped Pakistan massacre the Bengals. I feel Eritrea wouldn't have that exact border. I think even today both countries have disputes over it, and if Ethiopia was in charge they might try to break it in half and put each with the colinguals in Ethiopia proper. Also, the Balkan Federation negotiations would have had Bulgarian Macedonia added to Serb Macedonia. Might be a good opportunity to also gut Albania in half, with a bit going to Kosovo. Though only a minor thing, really. Not like a timeline is being written for it. Interesting to see the Spanish colonies no longer being a part of it, but still being in their influence. Especially as IOTL Spain was making a deal with Morocco and Mauritania to give it to them as they left. Is this a continued Kingdom of Denmark here, or a Kingdom of Iceland? Also, that autonomous region in southern China. I think you should give it a coastline. The PRC made it and gave it a coast partially to divide and conquer and to keep that area from supporting the Cantonese.
    Any explanation for Nepal and Bhutan? Seems it would be politically troublesome and unwanted for India to move in there. And did Tibet give up their claims on land in India and Bhutan here?
    How did the Kurds and the terrorist group grab so much extra land? Surprised the Syrians didn't move in and take their land claim, or at least the part of it which was Arab populated. What do you think the situation in North Cyprus would be like?

How fast was the flooding? I can't see the Americans and Europeans going out of their way to add extra states so close to the water. If it happened slower, I feel the Dutch would go Fourth Rjiks and encase everything from the Pyrennies to Narvik in sea walls. They could have Shell word wil the Norwegians in some quasi James Bond villain thing and use oil platforms to raise the walls between. But yah, in Europe having it based on larger regions rather than giving Bremen, South Tyrol, Lorraine, Vienna, etc their own cities may be more practical. Do you have that light blue area in north Italy as Venetia or is it for Fruili Venezia? Not actually Venetian. Though I read before that the Venetian once proposed they should combine with South Tyrol-Alto Adige and the Friuli area, but I suspect they would want that for their own power. Perhaps try that here? Though with linguistic protection for all. I imagine they might not want to be flooded by Venetians, and being in the Also they wouldn't need to worry about floods themselves. I don't see this Poland working at all. They didn't have enough people, and they secured Pomerania and Silesia partially by shipping in hundreds of thousands of Ukranians. I also say remove Liechtenstein from the EU. Too small for memebwrship, and it was happy being near the Swiss.
    Once. Just once. I want one of these maps where Switzerland is partitioned for no reason (the Germans and French in Berlin and Paris don't even understand their language) the Austrians would get it.

By the way, anyone rememeber a map on one of these threads where Blacks controlled Florida and the South, after deciding God was the reason they kept losignto them, decided the whites from Florida were actually High Yellow, and treated them as such? I am wondering if it was form a timeline or not.

10. lock A good guy with a bad latitude

For the last couple days I've been wondering how there's been a map set in 2112 and no one has made a comment about Rush.

11. Bob Hope rarely online

97875f60e84a3dd6a1915b94b0c14f1c4db0401a548f949cef53da8785f3a57e (1).jpg

12. Col. Angus Mem8er

The thing with Arakan and Myanmar was actually intended as a Chinese peacekeeping zone in response to the Rohingya crisis. Though looking at a map, it looks like the conflict is just limited to a smallish northern chunk of the state, so giving the whole state color as opposed to just the northern parts in retrospect doesn't necessarily make sense. Also perhaps the response wouldn't be some sort of outright peacekeeping zone, but the idea was that the Chinese, being more concerned about human rights in this scenario, would intervene somehow (maybe just diplomatically and with sanctions instead?) to try and stop the abuses

The idea in Ethiopia was vaguely along the lines of something like, as opposed to issues growing until the Eritrian war for Independence, the revolutionary government after the Empire is overthrown is more receptive to the start to desires for Eritrean autonomy, and reinstates the older federated system (which was abolished by Emper Selassie, so maybe the motivation of reverting the Emperor's actions could help make that happen). But what you proposed could be more plausible-looking at some maps, apparently they sort of did something like that OTL with rearranging provincial borders under the communist government

Good point about the Balkans, particularly Bulgarian Macedonia. I'm not entirely sure why Albania would be cut in half though? If anything, I thought it might instead be plausible for Albania and Kosovo to be united? But idk

With Spain, the leftists won the Civil War as opposed to the nationalists. They ended up pursuing autonomy and then independence for the colonies some years before the French would decolonize. Spanish (and some additional eastern bloc) support and development aid in the 1940s and 1950s led to the former colonies having rather more goodwill towards the Spanish. Spanish Morocco and those bits of territory between French Morocco and Western Sahara still ended up joining French Morocco when it got independence, but Equatorial Guinea and Western Sahara remained independent and with some association with Spain (and the eastern bloc in general)

The thing in Greenland and Iceland is a rump remnant of the Danish monarchy. By the end of the war in Europe, a year or two earlier than OTL, mainland Denmark is one of the areas occupied by the USSR. The US and UK end up propping up Greenland and and Iceland as a sort of loyalist Denmark, the 1944 republican referendum is either butterflied away with the different and quicker war end, or influenced by the WAllies to either not occur or to have different results due to the desire to keep it as a larger united polity to claim the mainland

And what about how Iceland was basically a dominion of sorts and its own mostly independent kingdom after 1918, just under the Danish monarchy, and separate from the Faroes and Greenland administratively? Well, let's just say that one way or another, the remnant Danish territories and Iceland ended up under at least de facto united administration. Perhaps the Danish monarchs still claim Denmark-proper but currently rule what has become larger Kingdom of Iceland (or Iceland-Greenland-Faroes union). Perhaps the polity just shifted to calling itself Denmark, with the Icelandic people accepting that name and de jure claim over the mainland in return for practically becoming the new core area of Denmark and gaining control of Greenland and the Faroes, or perhaps it instead adopted the name of Iceland-Denmark as a united polity. Perhaps, regardless of precisely how those things went down, it finds itself sort of along the lines of Taiwan OTL, pressured diplomatically (though here, probably by the west rather than mainland Denmark) to maintain the claim to Denmark, but with the general public tending to identify not as Danish or as a country that has claims on the mainland and instead as being their own thing

As for Guanxi, maybe. I kind of went with the compromise of Republican Chinese borders in the south and PRC borders in the north, since this communist China emerged differently with Sun Yat Sen being succeeded by a leftist rather than Chiang Kai Shek, and with the KMT-CPC united front remaining and shifting to be dominated by the CPC, without the two big civil wars. But with the leftist Nanjing government still having to contend with the warlords and taking some years to effectively gain direct control of the northern and western areas. Which could have meant that they just sort of kept the ROC borders in the more southern/central areas that were under their control/influence earlier, and then had more border evolution as they expanded control north and west. Though on the other hand, maybe it would just make sense to have continued ROC internal borders in that case, or instead for the northern/western internal borders to be butterflied to be somewhat different from the OTL PRC borders. Going back to Guanxi in particular, I didn't know that was the reasoning for changing those borders. I'm not sure if this alternate China would have as much of that motivation for "divide and conquer" in redrawing province borders... but maybe it still should be changed.

Gokbay likes this.
  13. Jacob2003 Football Loving Liberal

14. Hindustani Person We live in a society :(

15. B_Munro Member

16. rexnerdorum Well-Known Member

Fascinating! I had wondered what the politics of Full Deseret would be. I wish they allowed us to project multiple states at the same time. And also see possible changes if Puerto Rico, the Pacific Territories, and/or the US Virgin Islands achieve statehood. I guess that's what the Alternate Electoral Map Thread is for....

theev and AUGGP like this.
  17. Kento Kei Hyama Leader of Ahikto

Ahikto North, 1792
    This map will show the world in 1792 days before the Great War of 92'

The World has been dreading the Expansion of Halit against their own people. As Halit had conquered the Entirety of the Ujuakti Continent, leaving only Wama as a Friend. Boats full of Tens to hundreds of thousands of soldiers wait for the order to set sail for Xanadui as the War would begin against Xanadui and Halit. During this time, Pikland Was very unstable, being nearly impossible to cope with, as corruption has plagued the Empire for decades, it only took one more thing before they would break. While the Major nations of Gliserine and Penta had been increasing relations and have entered into a military Pact in 1788. With the Majority of the Triscana and Chete regions being completely overhauled by many many smaller states vying for power. While only a few years before in 1779, the kingdoms of Lily and Boton united to form Lily-Boton a union of their nations as a way to fend off any invaders from the south or east.
    All it took was Halit to Declare war on Xanadui for most of the world to be pulled into a war.

Ahikto_North_LRG_GW92.jpg
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Created By Kento Kei Hayama

December 2nd, 2019

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Miner, Jacob2003, Contrary and 3 others like this.
  18. PopulistBean All Hail Richard M. Nixon

Nixonia.png
    Major General Richard "The Fighting Quaker" Nixon started a coup that led to a civil war. After his victory in 1970, Nixon was appointed Grand Chancellor. After his death in 1994, his successor, Barry Goldwater started a nuclear apocalypse.
    With the fall of civilization, Western America stood strong. California's important politicians were remembered. After a while, the Republic of Nixonia was founded. Though it was based on Nixon's reign as supreme, dictator of the United States. Their constitution strictly followed Nixonian democracy. In 2497, they have become the most powerful country in the western world.

Miner, EbolaMan131, Jacob2003 and 7 others like this.
  19. Etruscan-enthusiast35 master of the ancient art of schlock

Hobbiton, The Shire, Eriador, Middle-Earth
    Russia's all that's left, HOORAH
    grandeuropepreview.png

20. Valdore Javorsky That Guy with the "Rise of the Night" magic TL

The Holy Britannian Empire versus the Holy Romanic Empire