Map Thread XIX

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by water123, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Analytical Engine Monarchist Collectivist Federalist

The nerve endings have already been killed - you can't feel your eyes burning, even though they are currently making Ghost Rider jealous.

2. Ongo Certified Procyon lotor

kaurstatesblack.png

The first major map of Kauresia, it's own states. This is the second map to show off the major subdivisions of a country in Ball of Confusion. Kauresia is a federation comprising of 29 states, with 2 major territories and a federal district. While the whole structure of government is still being brainstormed, this will be a side project to develop alongside Concordia as the superpower of the southern hemisphere of Erecond.

SpazzReflex, Kowhai, Miner and 13 others like this.
  3. Tyche Hand of Providence

GAY !! This rules, great job!

Bomster, Imperator Frank and Ongo like this.
  4. Somebody-Someone Well-Known Member

i thought malĂȘ rising was bad until today oh dear how long will it be until i forget help i can

5. MuricanTauri1776 Well-Known Member

Why is there a state named Gay?

6. Imperator Frank Tellurian Worldbuilder

Maybe someone's last name?

7. NiGHTS Falling from hell

East Indies Language Map.png
    This comes from a world in which, among other things, the Netherlands(including all of Benelux and then some) managed to become a leader in centralizing the Holy Roman Empire, in the 1830, for it's benefit. One of these benefits was more colonial manpower. And for certain reasons, the Dutch held interests in enforcing their language onto the East Indies. My thinking going into this was that the East Indies would come out like Latin America. So, some parts would come out like Mexico in that you have large amounts of people who only speak one language. Other parts would end up like Guatemala, Peru, and Bolivia, in that you have large sections that speak Spanish as a second language and not as a first language. I based this map on another one that depicts how long the Dutch controlled various areas of the East Indies, so those parts that the Dutch held the longest were what I put for having a high population that only speaks German. (Basically, imagine a Dutch Ethical Policy that's been installed since the late 1700s and that actually works). I guess this map can also serve as to how strongly German/Dutch cultural penetration has been.

Now, it should be noted that this map is from 2019 in my ASB timeline. And the Germans have yet to decolonize and don't really plan to. But, the UN (led by China and India) are making their move to free the various nations that were colonized by Germany. So, this map would also serve to show as to how vicious decolonization will be. The mainly German speaking areas will most likely go the way of Dominions and will stay connected to the Germanosphere. The mainly non-German speaking areas will go independent by the way of war of liberation, will seek to reestablish indigenous languages as supreme over German, and will seek to join the United Nations.

Note: None of these lines reflect national boundaries for the most part.

Edit: In hindsight, I need to fix the numbers.

Dark Brown: +85 to +66
    Medium Brown: +65 to +45
    Light Brown: -44

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    jhuro, Pexa, TedBacon12 and 8 others like this.
  8. water123 The Biggest Normie on this Website

Wouldn't this be more of an example of the White Man's Burden and other previous things rather than the Dutch Ethical Policy? the DEP seems to have been more about "please don't rebel for the love of god" and would not have influenced in this level of language loss. Indeed, to have densely populated Java speak that much German would take a lot of...very bad things.

lou3004, rzheng and MorningDew like this.
  9. B_Munro Member

Gordon has his own territory, as long as he stays in it and doesn't get too close to the borders. (It's that peculiar Gordon smell, mostly).

10. NiGHTS Falling from hell

Whatever it is, it had a similar effect that the Spanish had in Latin America. And Java though it's highly densely populated now, the whole of Indonesia/East Indies, had around 28 million people in 1898. And the Dutch have been control of most of Java since 1782, while this is a map of 2019( remember true decolonization has yet to occur, yet). And transportation/ industrialization advanced about 50 years further along in my timeline, so that has to be taken into account. Though, the Dutch, still being mostly Catholic and wanting to spread the faith, were about as brutal as the Spanish in enforcing religion. But, most of the population is of indigenous descent in the whole of this territory, so there wasn't industrial genocide if that's what you're implying. Very few people are of purely European descent. Indeed, German language knowledge will actually decrease in some parts, while strengthening in others.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  11. mikroraptor Well-Known Member

I guess you could say that he's been... Gordoned off from the outside world

Ferd42, The Professor and TheHedgehog like this.
  12. Isaac Beach Manservant to Melon the Mischievous Mog

This is incredibly impressive! I think I might end up playing around with this for hours.

13. GDIS Pathe Well-Known Member

That map is bad you should feel bad and answer for your crimes against everyone who have laid eyes on that thing

MorningDew likes this.
  14. xmoose Well-Known Member

You mean... education? :)

Taloc13, Gokbay and SeaCambrian like this.
  15. SeaCambrian Alien Space Bat

Imported Pacific centered map

[​IMG]

MilekHippy, Ciniad, David II and 18 others like this.
  16. deleonism professional opinion haver

If that's the word you want to use for cultural genocide, sure.

lou3004, rzheng, MorningDew and 2 others like this.
  17. Mina-van-Mako Marquise of Excess (formerly Mako-Tochan)

Changing people's maternal language takes more than education, unless said government aims for bilingualism, meaning they would speak both Java-Malaysian and German. But making colonized people a cultural elite is less likely than abducting children like Native children were abducted to be raised as Anglo-Saxon children.

lou3004, rzheng and MorningDew like this.
  18. Tsochar Well-Known Member

In every instance where a non-European-descended people primarily speak a European language, it's the result of colonization and subjugation. There are so many examples that it's more useful to point out counter-examples: The only countries that *weren't* colonized by European-descended powers for appreciable lengths of time have all maintained their indigenous language: Amharic in Ethiopia, Thai in Thailand, Japanese in Japan, Chinese in China, Nepali in Nepal, Persian in Iran, and so on. This also extends to non-Europeans colonizing and subjugating other non-Europeans. For example, Amharic in Oromia, Japanese in Hokkaido, Chinese in Xinjiang, Persian in Luristan, and so on. It also extends to Europeans subjugating other Europeans, such as French in Languedoc, Spanish in Catalonia, English in Wales and Ireland, and so on.

People don't stop speaking a perfectly good language in favor of another one except as the result of a severe power imbalance.

lou3004, rzheng, MorningDew and 7 others like this.
  19. Eylondambovich Jewish & Libertarian

Thank you!
    Communist Zambia has been wiped out and partitioned between the Entebbe pact nations after WWIII but Rhodesia managed to take control of the Lusaka region during the Great Southern War (or as it called within the Entebbe pact, the African conflict of 1997).

20. Ongo Certified Procyon lotor

The State of Gay mostly was organized in 605 SPE, today being a densely populated state on Kauresia's east coast. The territory that preceded the State was a purchase from the Anzian Empire in 534 SPE for a great sum of the east coast for a great sum of money, Belivue (the continent Kauresia is on) has mostly been subject to being arbitrarily carved by colonial powers in its last couple of centuries, mostly by the Callish, Escrian, Anzian, and Eridonian Empires that mostly wanted trade with the nearby Leranyu which hosted a plethora of resources that countries would want. The State of Gay was named after one of the figures behind the purchase of the territory in 534, Rory Gay, was the Secretary of State at the time of the purchase and one of the main coordinators of Kauresia's foreign policy, who negotiated with Anzian delegation, who weren't too confident in maintaining that stretch of territory as the mainland had been subject to attempted republican revolutions that stagnated economic progress, in which they were desperate for monetary gain even if they had to give up their colonial possessions for it. The purchase had been completed by 534 and Kauresia was left with an east coast to expand trade east, hoping to open up direct and short trade routes with Concordia.