Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently don't have the time to make a full description but in short: China become a superpower and the US and Russia fall. Europe is pretty meh. the Nanjing Pact is close to Japan's Co-Prosperity Zone and the EBEA is an EU like trade organisation. I made the color scheme on my own.
I'll update this text when I have the time to write a full scenario.
View attachment 498583
How’s there still a US if the PoD is so far back that the Avars still exist?

Y'all gotta chill. I pretty sure it's one of their first maps. Tons of beginner mistakes. For example, working back to a POD instead of working forward from one. And aesthetically it's not terrible.

Y'all gotta chill. I pretty sure it's one of their first maps. Tons of beginner mistakes. For example, working back to a POD instead of working forward from one. And aesthetically it's not terrible.

Oh I applaud the Aesthetics of it all. (The horrid cliche of transandean Argentina notwithstanding) Ottania and Mormonia are great names and no one should say otherwise.
I was actually curious if there was a reason.

I don't know if it is the right place, but I made a map of a Southern Kalos Region, Agathos. It has a ... complicated history, which explains the separation with Kalos and the occupation of Batisques (Kiloude City in English) by Kalos in the X and Y games. The map is in French, sorry for that ^^' if you need translations just ask. And, if you have questions too ...

upload_2019-10-31_11-5-19.png

Last edited:
I don't know if it is the right place, but I made a map of a Southern Kalos Region, Agathos. It has a ... complicated history, which explains the separation with Kalos and the occupation of Batisques (Kiloude City in English) by Kalos in the X and Y games. The map is in French, sorry for that ^^' if you need translations just ask. And, if you have questions too ...

View attachment 498719

That just looks like Occitania. ._.

That just looks like Occitania... ._.

It is, like Kalos is inspired by Northern France ^^ Each place is inspired by an Occitanian counterpart, for exemple Vignerette-Vieille-Ligue is the equivalent of Avignon, this is why the Old Pokemon League is there (inspired by the former Papal Palace) ^^

OH NO, China has westernized. Vicky2 players know that means hundreds of thousands of immigrants are gonna go everywhere.

Now, I'm genuinely curious how Sinicization would factor on the global stage. I would love to see some stories written about this universe addressing that.
I dont know.

There's so much quotes I can't reply to all. I will say this though. This map did not have a POD to begin with. It's something I made just to screw around. And hey, it worked. Kept me full for a few days.

Excuse me? The Hungarians are ethnically a hybrid between Slavs, Germans, and Latins, and their language is Uralic. Please explain where Turkic People come into this.
See:

I dont know.

There's so much quotes I can't reply to all. I will say this though. This map did not have a POD to begin with. It's something I made just to screw around. And hey, it worked. Kept me full for a few days.
Also. I believe they are pretty turkic.

They have Turkic Heritages, that's what I know anyway.
They're about as Turkic as the Germans are Slavic. Which is to say that there was certainly some mingling with the Pechenegs in the early Middle Ages but that ethnic identity was lost long ago and the Magyar one is fully its own thing, with any Turkic influence being largely negligible.

A cooky King coulda always just said "hey the doctor who gives me happy juice because of the ghosts in my blood says that we're Turks so we're avarohungaria now" and the band of shallow sycophants that sprouted around him days "ok boss wanna give us a raise?"

A cooky King coulda always just said "hey the doctor who gives me happy juice because of the ghosts in my blood says that we're Turks so we're avarohungaria now" and the band of shallow sycophants that sprouted around him days "ok boss wanna give us a raise?"
...No, that could not have happened. No more than Donald Trump could declare that the USA is now the Union State of Greater Mexico and change all the holidays.

Let's go over Hungarian origin a bit. Some time in the early first millenium CE, a branch of Ugrian peoples split off toward the southwest. These people adopted the nomadic grazing lifestyles of the proto-Turkic and proto-Slavic peoples living in the area. A Hungarian origin myth contends that the Hungarians are the result of the sons of the Scythian kings Gog and Magog pursuing a white stag during a hunt, only to come across the two beautiful daughters of the King of the Alans. They abducted and married these women and thus were born the Hungarian people. From Paul Lendavi's comprehensive history The Hungarians:

Today linguists and others concede that this cherished legend contains a grain of historical truth: the close link between the Magyars and a Bulgarian-Turkic people, as well as the Alans. While the term "Magyar", used by the Hungarians themselves, harks back to Ugrian times, the appellation "Hungarian", "Ungar", "Hungarus", "Hongrois", is traceable to the tribal organization of the Onogurs, to which the Hungarians had belonged for a long period; Onogur means "ten arrows", signifying ten tribes. It is also possible that the expression, accepted in the West since the early ninth century, refers to the amalgamation of the original seven loosely linked ancient Hungarian tribes with the three dissident Khazar tribes, the Kabars.

However, it is certain that the Hungarians had for some time been members of the Turkic Khazar empire between the middle Volga and the lower Danube. The ancient Hungarians were never a "Mongol people", as has often been claimed. Since 830 the Magyars had lived, together with various nomadic Turkic peoples, the Alans, and the Slavs, in the Etelköz, "the area between two rivers" –an extensive region between the Don, the Danube and the Black Sea. About 200 words of Bulgar-Turkic origin testify to a significant Turkic component in the ancient Hungarian tribal alliance. Despite the mixture of peoples in the settlement area, the Ugrian (i.e. the Hungarian language) prevailed and the name "Magyar" gained the upper hand in the entire community. This is the more remarkable because –according to the account of the Byzantine Emperor Constantine VII, the first and almost the only reliable source –only two of the seven old Hungarian tribes had Ugrian names (Megyer and Nyék), the names of the remaining five being Turkic. The Emperor also reported that in the tenth century, after the absorption of the Kabar tribes, the Hungarians were still bilingual.
That's roughly the POD you would need for the "Hungarians" to become Turkic; the winning out of another tribe in the proto-Hungarian confederation, perhaps a Turkic Árpad figure arising and subsuming the Ugrian counterparts into a larger Turkic culture. But that's not what happened and Hungary pre-Árpad (or even pre-King Saint Stephen) isn't really Hungary. The resulting kingdom from a Turkic-dominated culture in the same region would be dramatically different and certainly wouldn't be called Hungary in any way (or Avaria). Calling Hungarians Turkic by virtue of their ancestors having been present in Turkic empires long ago veers into the racist and orientalist understanding of history.

Not that this is what tungsterismapping was doing. Clearly they lacked some context on the area is all, which is fine; we all have significant gaps in our historical knowledge and rely on each other to fill them in. For a map that was done just for kicks and to get the creative juices flowing, hyper-specific accuracy in the Carpathian basin isn't necessary. I just wanted to put to bed any confusion on Hungarian heritage; theirs is a fascinating history and culture which deserves recognition for how remarkably unique it is alongside the Hungarian people's substantial contribution to European and world history over the centuries.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.