Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats up with the partial occupation of Ethiopia by the Italians? Also, how is the country still maintains its grip on Libya when the Metropole has fallen? Is it propped up by the Allies?

I would imagine that there was a massive wave of Italian immigration to the colonies once the country fell to communism.

Does the different colors mean that German communism is distinct from Stalinism?
Yes
Whats up with the partial occupation of Ethiopia by the Italians? Also, how is the country still maintains its grip on Libya when the Metropole has fallen? Is it propped up by the Allies?
The Hoare-Laval pact.

A lot of Italians fled to Libya under Balbo's reign. Roughly 30% of the country is now ethnically Italian. The USA and other allies help with keeping it stable of course.
What the heck is going on in India?

Same for Japan that still have Taiwan. (Which is nice.)
The Independence rebellions are backed by the Soviets and directly supported in the Northwest, where the war between the Allies and Soviets is still raging on.

The Japanese were allowed to hold on to Formosa after the peace talks. The fact that the Americans are present in the Pacific and the Chinese do not yet hold the power to take it over do help. Make no mistake though. This Japan is no different than the millitary dictatorship of OTL.

1940 post Great War.png
This is a TL that I've been working on for a little while... it's the one that covers the greatest span of time; in total I made 3 maps for it- one in 1940, one in 1980, and one in 2019... this is just the 1940 one however. This is also my first project after a 2-year hiatus, so forgive me if there's some glaring mistakes. POD is 1914, where after the assassination of Franz Ferdinand the Austrians are quick to issue an ultimatum to Serbia (and, of course, invade after Serbia rejects their demands). As a result, the rest of Europe manages to stay out of the conflict- even Russia, albeit reluctantly, sympathized with the Austrians' outrage over the assassination of the heir to the throne. Consequentially, Serbia is quickly overrun by Austrian forces and the Austro-Serbian War ends without greater international significance... until months later, when this would prove to be the straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak. Austria-Hungary collapses into chaos, as slavic nationalists across the multiethnic empire rise up and revolt. Large amounts of the military remain loyal, and for the first year or so Hungary remains loyal to the throne as well, attempting to put down the revolts. However, eventually the Magyars get fed up with the inability of the Habsburgs to quell the rebellion, and break from the Empire. At this point, the Austrian diplomats were scrambling for a solution to preserve some semblance of control and power, and so in a last-ditch effort to hold onto some territory they agree to support the Hungarians (effectively signing over to Hungary Croatia, Bosnia, and parts of Serbia) if the Hungarians will cooperate with them. From there, it was only a few months before Austrian forces had a firm grip on Galicia, Bohemia, and Slovenia, and Hungary had likewise restored some semblance of order in her constituent territories.

That's the POD, and I won't go into detail about how everything goes from there to how things are in the map (1940), but essentially there's several small wars- none get to the scale that WW1 was on, at least until 1932. These wars ultimately enable the rise of several communist powers across the world, notably France and Russia, and ultimately pit the communist bloc against the rest of the world, thus resulting in the Great War in 1932 (instead of an alliance against fascism/nazism, like OTL, it's an anti-communist alliance). The Allies (Germany, UK, Austria, Hungary, Greece, Italy, and the USA, along with other more minor powers) ultimately win the war in 1939, and this map is after the peace talks have all finished.

The Cretaceous Period (145 to 66 million years ago) seashore in Alabama vs how Alabama voted in the 2016 election.

"It means that in the Cretaceous period plankton lived along the shoreline and, when they died, they created large deposits of chalk on the seabed. When the seas receded they drained through the chalk and created soil which, millennia later, turned out to be great for growing cotton. So the ancient Cretaceous shoreline became land where lots of slaves lived. Now those areas have large African American populations, who tend to vote Democrat."

They just talked about this on one of my favorite podcasts! "The Common Descent". Nice synchronicity :coldsweat:

yb170gQ.png

Alternate Japanese Empire, where classical Liberals take control of the country and turn it into an oligarchy. Japan becomes close friends with Russia, leading to the Japanese purchase of Alaska. Japan takes Korea and Taiwan from the weakened Qing, and annexes the Kingdom of Hawaii. Later, during the Boxer Rebellion, Japan takes the port of Ningbo. Japan remains neutral in World War 1 to encourage trade from the also neutral United States (a close trading partner).

Japan sells weapons and materiel to factions in the Chinese Civil War but does not get actively involved outside partial occupation of Manchuria. The USSR and Japan re-affirm their historical friendship, and agree to support the Chinese Republican coalition (The Nationalists and Communists somewhat reconcile). The Chinese Republican Coalition wins the civil war, and Japanese troops vacate Manchuria. Japan returns the port of Ningbo in exchange for China renouncing claims to Taiwan.

Japan remains neutral in WW2 but is a key supplier of war materiel to the USSR. After the fall of communism in Russia, many industries are dominated by Japanese companies, which bought the failing state enterprises at incredibly low prices.
Does the Hawaiian royal family retain any political significance under Japan (like vassals), or is Hawaii ruled directly from Tokyo?

So how long before Stalin and Hitler go to war?
I expect that the Comintern will split between the Russians and Indians on one side and the Chinese and Germans on the other side. With the Allies most likely not opposing the Soviets out of Realpolitik reasons. I do not expect a war to actually break out however.

I expect that the Comintern will split between the Russians and Indians on one side and the Chinese and Germans on the other side. With the Allies most likely not opposing the Soviets out of Realpolitik reasons. I do not expect a war to actually break out however.
I mean, I would vote for the germans and allies to have at least a defacto alliance, with France regaining the mainland, in exchange for the germans getting more of the soviets than the european side

[

That's the POD, and I won't go into detail about how everything goes from there to how things are in the map (1940), but essentially there's several small wars- none get to the scale that WW1 was on, at least until 1932. These wars ultimately enable the rise of several communist powers across the world, notably France and Russia, and ultimately pit the communist bloc against the rest of the world, thus resulting in the Great War in 1932 (instead of an alliance against fascism/nazism, like OTL, it's an anti-communist alliance). The Allies (Germany, UK, Austria, Hungary, Greece, Italy, and the USA, along with other more minor powers) ultimately win the war in 1939, and this map is after the peace talks have all finished.

Just two point
1- why italy colonies are now belonging to A-H
2- even if part of the victorious alliance she don't make gain against communist France?

haudenosaunee.png

The Haudenosaunee Confederacy is one of 37 constituent realms in the Union of American Realms, and one of the four native confederacies. The confederacy's existence predates the Union by 648 years, making it the oldest realm in the nation. Isaac Fox's political writings of the mid-18th century which inspired the colonists to rebel drew inspiration from various historical sources; the Haudenosaunee included. When the War of Independence came, the confederacy made the decisive decision to side with the colonists in exchange for assurances that autonomy would be respected from the Continental Congress. The alliance helped the war effort considerably, and the confederacy played a crucial role in liberating the northern colonies. On March 26, 1790, the Confederacy came to an agreement on a permanent border and ratified the Constitution of the Union, making it one of the original 18 realms. The Constitution of the Union assured greater autonomy to the Haudenosaunee than to any other realm, including the right to restrict migration into the realm from other parts of the Union.

The confederacy and its neighbors struggled to get along initially. From the start, New York pressed on the confederacy to allow the construction of a canal connecting Lake Erie to the Hudson, but the confederacy refused. The resulting undeclared Erie Conflict (1813-1815) ensued, a period of extreme hostility between New York and the Haudenosaunee Confederacy. The hostility coincided with the first three years of Lord-Governor DeWitt Clinton's term, and the issue of the canal had reached a boiling point as part of his campaign for the position in 1812. Though the period was marked by a number of border skirmishes, the worst of these was the Coregonal Massacre of late 1814 when New York citizens and militias razed the town of Coregonal killing over 300 individuals. Haudenosaunee immediately petitioned the Council of Executives - the only Confederal body it was represented in - but DeWitt had great sway in that body. It wasn't until King Bushrod's Royal Writings on Liberty in 1815, condemning harshly the atrocities committed by New York against the Haudenosaunee Confederacy, that the Council was moved into action. With public opinion turning against DeWitt, New York ended it's hostility against the Haudenosaunee. The demands made by the Haudenosaunee Confederacy and the response by the monarchy eventually led to the passage of amendments granting all four native confederacies seats in the Confederal Assembly.

The Haudenosaunee Confederacy began loosening its tight immigration restrictions towards the mid-to-late 19th century. Until at least the 1850s, the number of people allowed to settle in the realm from elsewhere in the Union was limited to minuscule numbers. In the late 19th century, perhaps as a response to the immigration easements, the confederacy adopted a policy of promoting the growth of the population. The Growth Period lasted into the 20th century, and although the programs adopted did increase native population in the realm, non-native populations still reached nearly 50% by 1950. The period was also characterized by reforms meant to "modernize" the confederacy, many of which have been criticized in the present day. The programs were relaxed by the mid-20th century, and a period of attempted integration between the native populations and the non-native populations ensued. Today, 63.7% of the confederacy's population consider themselves to be either full native (28.4%) or mixed-native (35.3%) ancestry, while non-native residents account for 36.3% - the largest of the three blocks. Although most of the non-native members of the Haudenosaunee Confederacy are white, some are black as a result of the Haudenosaunee hardline stance against slavery in the 19th century.

The confederacy's capital and largest city is Onondaga. Nearly 50% of the realm's population lives in the Onondaga Metropolitan Area and the successful creation of a tech hub in the city spurred it's growth in recent decades. The majority of the realms' non-native population live in the northern reaches along the Saint Lawrence River, at the southwestern reaches, or in the capital. Roughly 29% of the realm's territory constitutes the Great Reserve, a protected wilderness area with little to no human population. The majority of the land is used for agricultural purposes.

~ • ~​

From the UAR-verse.

Last edited:
View attachment 498340 This is a TL that I've been working on for a little while... it's the one that covers the greatest span of time; in total I made 3 maps for it- one in 1940, one in 1980, and one in 2019... this is just the 1940 one however. This is also my first project after a 2-year hiatus, so forgive me if there's some glaring mistakes. POD is 1914, where after the assassination of Franz Ferdinand the Austrians are quick to issue an ultimatum to Serbia (and, of course, invade after Serbia rejects their demands). As a result, the rest of Europe manages to stay out of the conflict- even Russia, albeit reluctantly, sympathized with the Austrians' outrage over the assassination of the heir to the throne. Consequentially, Serbia is quickly overrun by Austrian forces and the Austro-Serbian War ends without greater international significance... until months later, when this would prove to be the straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak. Austria-Hungary collapses into chaos, as slavic nationalists across the multiethnic empire rise up and revolt. Large amounts of the military remain loyal, and for the first year or so Hungary remains loyal to the throne as well, attempting to put down the revolts. However, eventually the Magyars get fed up with the inability of the Habsburgs to quell the rebellion, and break from the Empire. At this point, the Austrian diplomats were scrambling for a solution to preserve some semblance of control and power, and so in a last-ditch effort to hold onto some territory they agree to support the Hungarians (effectively signing over to Hungary Croatia, Bosnia, and parts of Serbia) if the Hungarians will cooperate with them. From there, it was only a few months before Austrian forces had a firm grip on Galicia, Bohemia, and Slovenia, and Hungary had likewise restored some semblance of order in her constituent territories.

1. How did Hungary take Equitorial Guinea from Spain?
2. How did Greece take Somalia and Eritrea from Italy?
3. What sides were Spain/Portugal/Romania/Bulgaria/Netherlands/Belgium on?
4. Explain independence of Poland, Moldova, Ukraine, Lithuania, and Finland.
5. German North Korea, British South Korea, how did that happen?

Dorozhand

Banned
Who was he? As far as I know, the Emperor Wu for the Manchus was Nurhaci, who founded Later Jin and had been honoured by later emperors of Qing as Emperor Wu. So who was the other Emperor Wu then?

In this timeline the Later Jin emperors are primarily known by the abbreviation of their posthumous names, like the emperors of Sui. Nurhaci's was, as far as I know, Gao Di. Hong Taiji's was Emperor Wen, his older son reigned briefly and was given the name Rui Di, and the civil war between Buddhists and traditionalists was won by a Karma Kagyu Vajrayana named Yebusu (one of the younger sons of Hong Taiji) with the help of the Eastern Mongols of Ligdan Khan, who had not yet (as he does in this timeline) converted to the Gelugpa. Yebusu built the fortifications in Zhili that protected Nandu from the Shu, and was highly regarded enough in death that he was given the posthumous name Wu Di of Later Jin.

Just two point
1- why italy colonies are now belonging to A-H
2- even if part of the victorious alliance she don't make gain against communist France?

Italy got overrun by the communist powers (kinda like France in OTL WW2) and coming out of the war was essentially a ruin, the communist puppet government left the economy in shambles and resistance fighters basically obliterated the infrastructure, so the consensus of the greater Allied powers was to place it under Austrian administration (Somalia and Eritrea went to Greece, that was more a random decision on my part as in TTL Greece becomes a far more important player in European politics and I felt that they would have enough sway to get some of the pickings- after all, Britain and Germany wouldn't want the other to have to too much of an advantage in colonial Africa, so by giving Italy's old colonies to another mutual ally seems like the best choice). Long story short, post-war Italy is in no shape to manage anything besides Italy proper.

Last edited:
1. How did Hungary take Equitorial Guinea from Spain?
2. How did Greece take Somalia and Eritrea from Italy?
3. What sides were Spain/Portugal/Romania/Bulgaria/Netherlands/Belgium on?
4. Explain independence of Poland, Moldova, Ukraine, Lithuania, and Finland.
5. German North Korea, British South Korea, how did that happen?

1- Spain was part of the Communist alliance, tbh Equatorial Guinea should probably have just been absorbed into German Kamerun... best explanation is that Germany and Britain couldn't really agree on who should get what in Africa and so more minor powers ended up with slices of Africa (Hungary with Equatorial Guinea, Austria with Libya, Greece with Somalia and Eritrea)
2- Spain, as mentioned in the previous answer, was commie. Portugal, the Netherlands, and Belgium all remained neutral (the Low Countries were basically deemed by both sides a valuable buffer region, putting most of the fighting in the more mountainous terrain on the French-German border). Bulgaria was one of the communist powers, and invaded Romania, Serbia, and basically everyone else there. It took Hungary and Greece combined to take them down.
4- They all received independence from Russia after the Bolshevik Union was defeated- Germany wanted to take Poland and the Baltic states, but the British opposed it- and besides that, German industry in the West had been devastated by the French during the war and German officials were more concerned about rebuilding their homeland than pushing to gain potentially volatile Eastern territories.
5- Korea happened as a result of the Japanese Imperialist War, which was one of the aforementioned localized wars in between the Austro-Hungarian collapse and the Great War, where Japan attempted to take parts of China and eliminate European influences in China, which was most strongly opposed by the Germans and British (this war would help push the two powers together, kind of preparatory for their alliance in the Great War). Germany and Britain fought, initially losing ground but after committing significant resources to the conflict were able to completely shatter Japan. Korea, formerly a Japanese colony, was then divided between the conquering powers (again, that Hungarian zone of influence in Manchuria should *probably* have gone to Germany but again, I felt like this scenario would result in as much delocalization of power as possible, with everyone afraid of someone else becoming a superpower).

Hopefully those explanations are adequate. I might change the Hungarian possessions to German...

Italy got overrun by the communist powers (kinda like France in OTL WW2) and coming out of the war was essentially a ruin, the communist puppet government left the economy in shambles and resistance fighters basically obliterated the infrastructure, so the consensus of the greater Allied powers was to place it under Austrian administration (Somalia and Eritrea went to Greece, that was more a random decision on my part as in TTL Greece becomes a far more important player in European politics and I felt that they would have enough sway to get some of the pickings- after all, Britain and Germany wouldn't want the other to have to much of an advantage in colonial Africa, so by giving Italy's old colonies to another mutual ally seems like the best choice). Long story short, post-war Italy is in no shape to manage anything besides Italy proper.

Oh boy, let's begin
1 - being overrun by communist force like France in WW2 is basically impossible unless somebody created the teletransport as the alps are the best defensive line in the entire continent and that without even taking in consideration the fortification and there is no way to bypass them. Basically a bunch of boy-scout can hold the entire Red Army without that much problem, even because without WWI military tech and tattic will be much less developed than our 1932 so no blietzkrieg even if instead of a bunch of mountains there was plain
2- the colonies will be the seat of any italian goverment in exile and without WW1 there will be more work in the infrastructure and more people will be sent there; making them administer by Austria, you know a nation that well...had history with Italy is like spitting in the face of the entire nation and create a bad precedent (for the time of war is a thing but after and expecially without at least attempt to save face by giving some compensation in France)

Oh boy, let's begin
1 - being overrun by communist force like France in WW2 is basically impossible unless somebody created the teletransport as the alps are the best defensive line in the entire continent and that without even taking in consideration the fortification and there is no way to bypass them. Basically a bunch of boy-scout can hold the entire Red Army without that much problem, even because without WWI military tech and tattic will be much less developed than our 1932 so no blietzkrieg even if instead of a bunch of mountains there was plain
2- the colonies will be the seat of any italian goverment in exile and without WW1 there will be more work in the infrastructure and more people will be sent there; making them administer by Austria, you know a nation that well...had history with Italy is like spitting in the face of the entire nation and create a bad precedent (for the time of war is a thing but after and expecially without at least attempt to save face by giving some compensation in France)

1- Italy had been in a decades-long decline, and so they basically had little better than a bunch of boy scouts holding the border against France... and I think saying that the Italian-French border is impassible is a little excessive. I should have explained better, however, about the occupation- it wasn't like how France fell in terms of speed, Italy took 2 years to buckle under the French assault- what I meant was that the French utterly and completely defeated the Italians, and then set up a friendly puppet government there. Sorry, that was a poor comparison.
2- Italy and France had fought a minor colonial war previous to this war, before France went full commie, and that resulted mostly in Italian defeats- and so not much development occurred in their overseas colonies. Libya was also occupied by French forces before Italy proper was, and so the Free Italian government couldn't flee there after the fall of Rome. They ended up fleeing to Vienna, and later Berlin, where they waited out the end of the war. Again, Italy was so utterly shattered- in every way, shape, and form- by the war that they could barely maintain their own territory, and wouldn't have been able to manage annexing a territory with a sizable French population, much less manage any overseas colonies. Meanwhile Austria had hardly faced any devastation during the war, being located smack dab in the middle of Europe and being surrounded by allies (excepting Russia), so they were in a far better position to take up administration of Libya. I do acknowledge that Italy would take these things as a huge affront, but they weren't really in any position to argue. Kinda like Germany when Prussia got taken away post-WW2 (a German territory since how many hundreds of years ago, being given to Russia, a German rival since how many hundreds of years ago? except in this case it's a colony that Italy has had for not quite 3 decades, that has been occupied twice by foreign powers, being given to Austria. I thought that this was a fairly plausible scenario).

1- Italy had been in a decades-long decline, and so they basically had little better than a bunch of boy scouts holding the border against France... and I think saying that the Italian-French border is impassible is a little excessive. I should have explained better, however, about the occupation- it wasn't like how France fell in terms of speed, Italy took 2 years to buckle under the French assault- what I meant was that the French utterly and completely defeated the Italians, and then set up a friendly puppet government there. Sorry, that was a poor comparison.
2- Italy and France had fought a minor colonial war previous to this war, before France went full commie, and that resulted mostly in Italian defeats- and so not much development occurred in their overseas colonies. Libya was also occupied by French forces before Italy proper was, and so the Free Italian government couldn't flee there after the fall of Rome. They ended up fleeing to Vienna, and later Berlin, where they waited out the end of the war. Again, Italy was so utterly shattered- in every way, shape, and form- by the war that they could barely maintain their own territory, and wouldn't have been able to manage annexing a territory with a sizable French population, much less manage any overseas colonies. Meanwhile Austria had hardly faced any devastation during the war, being located smack dab in the middle of Europe and being surrounded by allies (excepting Russia), so they were in a far better position to take up administration of Libya. I do acknowledge that Italy would take these things as a huge affront, but they weren't really in any position to argue. Kinda like Germany when Prussia got taken away post-WW2 (a German territory since how many hundreds of years ago, being given to Russia, a German rival since how many hundreds of years ago? except in this case it's a colony that Italy has had for not quite 3 decades, that has been occupied twice by foreign powers, being given to Austria. I thought that this was a fairly plausible scenario).

The difference it's the Germany was the defeated nation not a member of the victorious alliance, it's more or less like the Allies had given North Africa to Turkey to administer because France was devastated by the war and regarding the sizeble population in possible annexed territory, well even in OTL in the territory that Jugoslavia (a nation that had suffered much due the war and the partisan warfare) was full of italian but they had managed it...by making the entire italian population choose if they want leave and living or remain and suffer...a lot, so if the war in Italy has been that hard i found strange that any goverment that at least want keep some semblance of legitimation, expecially after being utterly humiliated by his own allies due to reason, will not want follow the same road of Tito.
France going grinding for 2 years in Italy and also fighting Germany in the north is hard to believe, expecially if we take in consideration OTL WW1.
Regarding Austria, i don't know, if Italy has been occupied for 7 years i think that some attempt to attack Austria as it border the Kingdom of Italy will have been done, or at least use the italian territory to bombard it...honestly if you want an A-H wank and an Italy screw there are a lot more realistic way.
Finally...yes, the damned alps make a direct attack to the Maginot Line look like a walk in the park, not only you need troops with proper mountain training and equipment otherwise just the element will kill them but air and tank support are useless.

Last edited:
The difference it's the Germany was the defeated nation not a member of the victorious alliance, it's more or less like the Allies had given North Africa to Turkey to administer because France was devastated by the war and regarding the sizeble population in possible annexed territory, well even in OTL in the territory that Jugoslavia (a nation that had suffered much due the war and the partisan warfare) was full of italian but they had managed it...by making the entire italian population choose if they want leave and living or remain and suffer...a lot, so if the war in Italy has been that hard i found strange that any goverment that at least want keep some semblance of legitimation, expecially after being utterly humiliated by his own allies due to reason, will not want follow the same road of Tito.
France going grinding for 2 years in Italy and also fighting Germany in the north is hard to believe, expecially if we take in consideration OTL WW1.
Regarding Austria, i don't know, if Italy has been occupied for 7 years i think that some attempt to attack Austria as it border the Kingdom of Italy will have been done, or at least use the italian territory to bombard it...honestly if you want an A-H wank and an Italy screw there are a lot more realistic way

valid points... though I think this is hardly an A-H wank given the country doesn't even exist . Yes, Austria did get attacked across the Italian border- however, after the fall of Italy, the French concentrated their forces on Germany in an attempt to break the stalemate there. Austria just kept a significant force on the border and was able to fend off most French incursions- and they had the help of plenty of French freedom fighters. France had experienced a population boom in years prior the war (yes, I know, hard to believe in a communist country), and the Germans were very much occupied with fighting the Russians to the East, and so weren't able to commit enough strength to the French front to force a breakthrough.

And again regarding the Italian influence in Libya- there was fairly minimal Italian presence OTL until the fascists came in, and they embarked on a heavy colonization program. In TTL, there's no fascists, and the Italian government is weakened by war to the point where it can barely hang on to the colony. It's not really an Italy-screw... Historically, Italy was hardly the most stable of the European states (entering WW1, it had a relatively small population, ill-equipped military, and little industry. Entering WW2, it likewise had industry and military capabilities that paled in comparison to states like German, France, or the UK. After WW1, Italy fared little better than before the war and was suffering from serious social, economic, and political issues. In WW1, their military was defeated a dozen times by the Austro-Hungarian military- a country that was collapsing, had low morale, and suffered from internal command problems because of its multiethnic nature). I'm just trying to point out that, given what happened to Italy historically, it's not too outlandish to say that they get defeated and occupied by communists, and then come out of the war *technically* victorious but with no gains.

I also think that a comparison to free France in WW2 is a little unjustified- France OTL had more colonies than Italy, she had had said colonies for a longer period of time, and her resistance movement held on to said colonies even after the capital fell (unlike Italy in TTL). Mostly what I'm trying to get at though is that I didn't just try to screw Italy, or wank Austria or Hungary or whoever. I stand by that- though I respect where you're coming from and your opinion to disagree. I will consider giving Italy territorial concessions from France- thinking about it, there are enough regions with sizable Italian populations that it would be relatively simple for Italy to annex and administer them- and that would help to appease the Italian King for the loss of his overseas territories. Thanks for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.