Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
@HeX how did you draw your colonial borders for your France, Germany, and Mexico wanks?
Mostly, I try to find the balance between aesthetically pleasing and lines that make logical sense. Sometimes I use geographic features, like mountain ranges and rivers. Other times, I might divide something up by ethnic or religious boundaries, if I'm working with somewhere like India, which tends to do things like that. There's a lot of guesswork involved, too, because borders are weird and sometimes there's nothing around to divide up the land. That's not an immediate "draw straight lines everywhere" card, though. A lot of real-world national borders that are in the middle of nowhere (for instance, that damn Kazakh border) aren't straight lines. Straight lines and solid colors seem lazy and unfinished (see: OTL Wyoming and Colorado, virtually indistinguishable on a map) I prefer to add as many subdivisions as possible, because even something as small as Germany feels like a SFE when it's just a block of gray, but that's just my personal preference.

TL;DR: Just... add more subdivisions that aren't random lines.

An alternate map of the US, with 53 states; in this TL: they bought the Virgin Islands in 1867, the annexation of Santo Domingo is successful in 1870, then, in 1898, in addition of the annexation of Hawaii, the US bought Micronesia and Porto Rico to Spain.
What would Americans want with Micronesia? Going by the Yanks tryingt onget Guam but they found they could buy the whole kicking kabootle for about the same price? And with all of this one would think the Americans would also try to get Cuba. I expect Puerto Rico and Santo Domingo to make things fun, given the mixed nature of the population. There would be some difficulty in any of them riding carriages in the South, but I suppose people will continue the polite fiction about them just having tans from the sun or darker skin from Spanish blood. I assume people in the South did that back then at least, as I once read where a woman escaped slavery partially by yellowing up her face and passing as a man from Cuba. Come to think of it, Micronesia isn't going to get statehood right away, is it? I am remembering old editorial cartoons, and they tended to have all of the US's new acquisitions as having bones through their hair or nose.
ngl, this is one of the most cursed maps on this site
Because it is built on an Indian burial ground?
View attachment 493980
Cross posted from MOTF 205
As the Navajo have all of Four Corners, I see you made up for it by making a cube.
The Empire of Nippon is an advanced, wealthy nation in East Asia. Comprised of a number of islands off the coast of the Asian continent, Nippon has had a long history that included long stretches of isolationism. All of that changed in the mid-19th century when the nation reformed and began industrializing - in part a reaction to the modernization of China around the same time. A natural rival to China, Nippon maintains a strong army and navy. Despite the two nations tense past, the two countries maintain a amicable friendship in the modern era. Nippon has one of the strongest economies on the planet and is a major player in both the Pan-Pacific Trade Union and the Greater Asian Prosperity Organization.
I should note that those three islands right to the South of South Korea are actually peninsulas. Well, at least two, though real world maps do sometimes hide just how much of what is labeled as land is actually submerged.
Yep, as someone from the OTL proposed US state of Superior I had to
Just a shame Huron couldn't be fit in there.
l3EH88j.png
Let us all now think over the implications over how Germany and Slovakia might have each been supporting a sided and what it would have looked like if they came to a partition. As for the Poles around Troppau and Ostrava... I guess we should consider them Albanians?

Let us all now think over the implications over how Germany and Slovakia might have each been supporting a sided and what it would have looked like if they came to a partition. As for the Poles around Troppau and Ostrava... I guess we should consider them Albanians?

Austria as Montenegro? Where would Montenegro and Kosovo be anyway? Maybe Posen or East Prussia as Kosovo if you go with Poles as Albanians.

This is more than a bit out of line. OP posts a map of an alternate South Africa with no demographics and this is your response?
I was replying to the comment I was replying to, which basically mentions the common cliche of Africa being whiter in quite a large amount of AH scenarios. And I didn't pay attention to what the OP had made.

Anyways in my time here, I have seen quite a few scenarios that amount to asking "how can Africa/Asia/Latin America be more white, or at least culturally European?", while the opposite is super rare. So, I don't think it's unreasonable to guess that people here just sometimes have a preference for a more thoroughly European world. I don't it's out of (conscious) racist fantasies, but more as a result of not really being that creative and perhaps out of not really finding anything that interesting in other cultures, due to ignorance and Eurocentric views of what makes things "cool."

I should note that those three islands right to the South of South Korea are actually peninsulas. Well, at least two, though real world maps do sometimes hide just how much of what is labeled as land is actually submerged.

Would it work if Japan purposefully terraformed the affected peninsulas to create islands? :coldsweat:

Would it work if Japan purposefully terraformed the affected peninsulas to create islands? :coldsweat:
Ahhh, you made the map instead of using a base map? If so, you have got quite a bit of detail down. And I think it would be economically unfeasible, but you might have something mentioned on mass excavations to fulfill treaty requirements where the Japanese get all the islands of Korea.

Ahhh, you made the map instead of using a base map? If so, you have got quite a bit of detail down. And I think it would be economically unfeasible, but you might have something mentioned on mass excavations to fulfill treaty requirements where the Japanese get all the islands of Korea.

Yeah it's a custom base map I made :coldsweat:

Maybe I'll pin it as a dumb plan that still got executed when tensions in East Asia were high in the 1940s-ish of TTL; though I might go back and edit it if possible!

Thanks for the feedback!

china.png

china rel.png

Political and religious maps of the Later Xin Dynasty (720-1013 AD) in 850, near its height. The POD is less flooding of the Yellow River during the Former Xin (9-255 AD), legitimizing it in the eyes of the people. After the Former Xin fell apart, China went through a period where the Bei Dynasty and the Nan Dynasty operated opposing courts at Beijing and Nanjing. The southern dynasty embraced Mahayana Buddhism, while the north remained Confucian. The Nan Dynasty also made several scientific and technological accomplishments, such as inventing glass lenses, constructing an extensive canal system, developing practical steamboats, and inventing water-driven mechanical looms. Meanwhile, the Bei Dynasty was less technologically advanced, but benefited from the trans-Eurasian land trade and achieved more gender equality due to Central Asian influences on society.

In the early 700s, the Bei Dynasty was invaded by Mongols and collapsed. The Mongols were driven out by the White Sash Rebellion in 720, and their leader proclaimed the new Xin dynasty. The Xin then conquered the Nan Dynasty, and carried on expansionist campaigns against the Manchus, Central Asians, and Mongols. In 850, the Xin Dynasty administers the core Chinese territory, the Western Protectorates, the Mayi Protectorate, the vassals in union with Chang'an (Mongolia, Tibet, Shan, Chin, Laos, and Tonkin), and the tributaries (Korea, Japan, Khmer, Annam, and the Pratihara Empire).

Key to the religion map (based on TURCS):
Light yellow: Confucianism
Dark yellow: Taoism
Lightest yellow (outline): Legalism
Green: Zoroastrianism
Light pink: Mahayana Buddhism
Dark orange: Theravada Buddhism
Dark pink: Esoteric Buddhism
Gray: Bon
Dark purple: Tujia religion
Dark gray: Malay religion
Red: Ryukyuan religion
Dark blue: Tengri
Light blue: Manchu shamanism
Teal: Brahmanism (Hinduism)
Light teal: Shaivism (Hinduism)

Carbon2846

Banned
Ban
This is my ideal America.
Starting off, yes I gave Mexico its lands back. Just too unmanageable in this scenario to keep it.

The light green thing are territories belonging to natives that we gave them with very very low autonomy.

The orange is where the majority of blacks live today (presumably because of something during 1800's idk) and now all of them live there ; ), also with low autonomy, it's mainly just meant to put them all in one place, not give them authority over something. the native American places on the other hand have the opposite reason for existing.

the Blue is french lands... I left France on the far right of the screen so you could see that they have the same color

I left the permafrost there because I couldn't decide if it was better with or without so I just didn't touch it (and ironically ended up deciding by leaving it I guess), and due to the color scheme I used the Fascist American color and the 2nd level divisions (U.S states) are hard to distinguish, but yes, I made states. There is a second map included where I just used the default U.S color so you could
see the state borders a lot better.

Deleted member 87099

This is my ideal America.
Starting off, yes I gave Mexico its lands back. Just too unmanageable in this scenario to keep it.

The light green thing are territories belonging to natives that we gave them with very very low autonomy.

The orange is where the majority of blacks live today (presumably because of something during 1800's idk) and now all of them live there ; ), also with low autonomy, it's mainly just meant to put them all in one place, not give them authority over something. the native American places on the other hand have the opposite reason for existing.

the Blue is french lands... I left France on the far right of the screen so you could see that they have the same color

I left the permafrost there because I couldn't decide if it was better with or without so I just didn't touch it (and ironically ended up deciding by leaving it I guess), and due to the color scheme I used the Fascist American color and the 2nd level divisions (U.S states) are hard to distinguish, but yes, I made states. There is a second map included where I just used the default U.S color so you could
see the state borders a lot better.

Status
Not open for further replies.