Map Thread XIV

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by MorningDew, Mar 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrL567 Well-Known Member

The Americans are proceeding nearly like OTL, albeit with a more isolationist bent due to the nastier state Europe is. They are neutral in a conflict, but would likely support the British side. The Chinese considering it is not a group of warlord states is proceeding in a much better fashion compared to OTL. They are not concerned with affairs in Europe, but mainly want to retake Manchuria and Mengjiang the Japanese. While nominally fascist, due to the Republic being very militant, they have a distaste towards the Seine Pact powers due to there colonies.

2. CyberPhoenix001 Hail the Solar Empire!

Nice! So, is the Melbourne region meant to be its own nation?

I have to say, from what I can tell, it would have a larger area than Cyprus or Puerto Rico. :biggrin:

Goodbye, bm2617! We hardly knew ye!

On the map, wow! You've somehow made it even more chaotic than I first envisioned it!

michaelk156 likes this.
  3. Beedok I exist.

End of paged! The cruelty. (Luckily it should barely matter with the new 'first unread' system.);)

4. michaelk156 ISOT Extraordinare

Thanks, I might add some extra counties and make it a bigger country if I decide to work on it some more.

Wasn't really thinking about a POD that much. I did have an idea that maybe 'The Republic of Victoria' was like a reverse case of Northern Ireland where instead of having a small part of Ireland staying with Britain and the Queen, you have a small part of Australia declaring a republic and wanting to break out of the Commonwealth while the other parts stay behind. That, and perhaps Melbourne had a much bigger rivalry with Sydney early on that caused a larger rift between the two cities until Melbourne wanted out, with much of Victoria being occupied by Australian forces upon independence declaration and the final border ultimately being drawn at a military frontline, resulting in a smaller Victorian territory centered around Melbourne. The increased Sydney-Melbourne rivalry could have something to do with Sydney being selected as capital city instead of building Canberra and receiving extra attention as a result, and the final straw that brings the war on could be some sort of Anti-British Imperialist Marxist revolution springing up in Melbourne (the Melbourne commune?) that the rest of the country doesn't follow along with and tries to snuff out with military force. Don't know if this is plausible at all but I did plan to have the Victorian Republic as being more left-wing than it is now (think Greens switching place with the Coalition politically), so it kinda fits with my perception of the country. It could also just be an ISOT territory that doesn't want to join with OTL Australia due to differences and thus forms its own country, that'd be an acceptable enough explanation too I guess.

Yep. It would be a little over 50,000 km sq in area, so it's not that small. It actually still includes a fair bit of the Victorian countryside so there's plenty of room for farming beyond metropolitan suburbia. It's population would be a little over 5 million so it's actually got slightly more people living there than New Zealand although its much more compact.

Last edited: May 21, 2016
    HowAboutThisForAName likes this.
  5. moxn Well-Known Member

Hi Miranda,

First I have to say I've never heard such high praise for one of my maps before. Thank you so much for this review, it really means a lot.

I tried to keep the provincial borders aesthetically pleasing as possible, but at the same time also basing it on historical borders wherever possible. For the America's in particular I followed native empires and tribes as best I could, went along with natural boundaries wherever I couldn't, and went with what looked best when I couldn't do either.

The biggest reasoning behind the Sinai was because of the OTL borders for the province of Arabia Petraea covering the peninsula, and I didn't want to exclude it from the Arabian diocese. It's a big oversight on my end to not think of putting a major city there :oops:, though smaller cities and villages would exist along the Mediterranean coast. Sinai didn't seem to make sense to me to belong to any other province, so it stayed Arabian and by extension part of Asia Australis.

I'm really glad you didn't think it was overcrowded, since that was one of my biggest fears making it. I had to tweak the cities a lot before I felt I was satisfied, and near the end of putting them into place I still had second-thoughts, so I made sure a city-free version would also be available. I'd love to see you make something similar and to experiment with the aesthetics more to find something even better :). I have a few blank templates of the map I used on my dA account if you want to use any of them as a resource.

6. andreavg Member

7. Mumby Not a Falangist Monthly Donor

Hmmm. I'm not entirely sure if the massive population movements in Russia are all that reasonable. Surely this would cause a great deal of resentment amongst ethnic minorities? This feels like a divide and rule strategy that won't last long.

Also, I'm slightly confused by the portrayal of the USSA. You always described it as never reaching the height of Stalinist abuses, but it feels like since the war the Party leadership has doubled down on dictatorship. Russia had no history of democracy, that Communism should take a dictatorial form was the most likely model. The US had over a century of democratic government before the revolution. I dont see people forgetting about that in a hurry. And the race thing particularly stands out. America's internal wars in this TL are deeply involved with anti-racist rhetoric. When the old government tried to invade, it was via the South. African Americans have a large, populous and probably prosperous autonomous republic. The USSAs founding mythology is probably built on anticapitalism and antiracism together. I just don't see this sudden turn toward white supremacy as all that plausible

8. Serafim Well-Known Member

One more map
    PoD - World War I is longer than in reality.
    [​IMG]

9. gxblt Well-Known Member

Does anybody happen to have a worlda map with higher sea levels? About 7 metres would be preferable. Thank you immensely in advance.

10. Beedok I exist.

The movements are voluntary, just like the US Great Migration which saw roughly 6 million American blacks move voluntarily (~5 million of them moving between 1940 and 1970). It's also worth noting that some of those ethnic homelands have rather small populations. Dagestan for instance was only about 1.4 million at this time, and OTL peaked at ~20% Russian (and is here split with Azerbaijan). Kalmykia has sat around a quarter million to 300K, and at times had a Russian majority OTL. We're not talking about Kazakhstan or Uzbekistan, though Kyrgyztan would probably pass OTL's 30% Russian peak and Turkmenistan will definitely pass OTL's ~20% peak.

They slowly declined into a stronger dictatorship under the ~20 years of the Irons Presidency, though at the local levels there are still some fairly functional elections. The latest coup was a major hit against what remained of democracy. (Also there was a fair amount of anti-democracy rhetoric over the years, claims that frequent elections cause governments to only focus on the short term and other issues.) It's still not reached Stalinism levels of control though. Until the 1960s it wasn't too much worse than Putin's Russia in function.

The USSR of OTL was big on ethnic unity and equality, yet had a strong habit of treating Russians better than anyone. The USSA here is fairly similar. A lot of whites also barely tolerated the Black autonomy in the south (despite high minded ideals amongst the ruling party) and it was only during the 9 Years War where the revanchists engaged in a number of anti-Black war crimes was what it took to get the majority to have favourable view on the experiment. This coup lacking Blacks however was more just an issue of Whites and minorities having different social circles due to coming from different parts of the country and the back room deals were built heavily on folks who rose through the ranks together (remember, despite the civil rights movement OTL it wasn't until the mid-90s that a majority of Americans were accepting of interracial marriage). The crackdown had some racial angles, but was more just meant as a statement on unity. Miscommunications and the ensuing violence have threatened to undo years of work erasing racial prejudice, but it started relatively 'innocently'* and was meant as just a crackdown on regional protesting, not a racial angle, but racism is once more rearing it's ugly head.

*as coup plotting goes

Mumby likes this.
  11. roman8761 Well-Known Member

alternate 1924 atl 1.png

Bad@logic likes this.
  12. 0vermind Overthinks Everything

Try the "Request Map/Flag" thread. This thread is primarily for Posting Maps.

(Though now I want to see that map too):noexpression:

Last edited: May 21, 2016
    Chicxulub likes this.
  13. Gian Gianned

Anyways, I now have a separate thread for all ADR-related files, so maps (and other graphics I might have) will be posted in there (as well as Althistoria, and Deviantart)

Link.

14. Doctor President Sir Astronaut Esquire

This is a map of a scenario in which after its discovery in the early 1600s, the Dutch explore and settle Australia instead of generally ignoring it. Other European powers soon follow, trying to get their own part of Australia. Six colonies are successfully established:
    • New Holland: The first European settlement in Australia. It is managed by the Dutch East India Company, and as a result, many of its settlers are Indonesians.

• Santa Marina: A colony of Portugal, the second country to settle Australia.

• New Wales: The British colony in Australia.

• Willemsland: A second Dutch colony. Unlike New Holland, it is not managed by the Dutch East India Company.

• Australie: The French colony in Australia.

• Nueva Galicia: The Spanish colony in Australia. It is part of the Viceroyalty of Peru.[​IMG]

Cool-Eh, Mitro, Joyeux and 7 others like this.
  15. Fox-Fire Who's Mister Madman?

With these maps I tried to keep everything as simple and minimalist as possible. This is the third stage of the Wars of British Hegemony. By this time I believe you all see where this is heading...

[​IMG]

16. Doctor President Sir Astronaut Esquire

How do I make my map link directly to a DeviantArt page? And will that make it not have compression artifacts?

17. Alligator Never go full Dandolo

Is this meant to be a British Revolution instead of French Revolution?

18. Fox-Fire Who's Mister Madman?

It could be interpreted as something of the sort. From the beginning of the XVIII century the British Parliament started to issue a series of reforms that created a much more liberal government. A sort of peaceful, gradual French Revolution, but in Great Britain of course (also, the monarch is still nominally in power). This is almost a century after and because of those reforms. The period is known in this world as The Audacity and in this moment, the beginning of the XIX century, it is in its most pure shape. Soon the British will find out that there is a limit to their benign neglect policies both in the colonies and in the mainland.

I'm flattered that there has been interest in this little project of a project of mine. :biggrin: Also, I'm surprised that no one has asked about the First Stage of the Wars of British Hegemony, seeing that the only named ones are the Second and Third ones. We have yet to see the Fourth and final stage... and it probably won't be in the way of what you expect.

19. Zek Sora hi

X-posting my MotF entry.

Slightly fuller-size map
    (click it for the full-full size)

[​IMG]

20. Clandango Well-Known Member

Well done, Zek. Looking briefly at your second map, may I ask if the various Native Amerians west of the Mississippi managed to go mobile? I imagine they would be helpful in the greater Deseret area. Though by this time perhaps they had been broken and kept to reservations where they would be sitting ducks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.