Status
Not open for further replies.
attachment0x__by_adapa0-da0by6s.png

New 50 United Nations of Earth

key

1: Afrikaana 2: Bantuia 3: Punt 4: NiloSahara 5: Nigeriana 6: EgyptoSudan 7: Magreb 8: Arabia 9: Mashriq 10: Iranostan 11: EuroAsia 12: Indistan 13: Dravidia 14: TibetoBurma 15: Sinoa 16: Zomia 17: Orient 18: Sundanesia 19: PapuaMelanesia 20: Australia 21: Slavica 22: Turkistan 23: Romancia 24: Nordia 25: Mongolia 26: Siberia 27: Uralica 28: ChukotkoKamchatka 29: KalaallitNunavut 30: Denea 31: Cascadia 32: Algonquia 33: Plainsana 34: Luarentia 35: Ecotopia 36: Dixie 37: Aridoa 38: Mesoa 39: Caribbea 40: Amazonia 41: Andea 42: Brazil 43: Chacoa 44: ArgentinoChilea 45: Madagascar 46: Micronesia 47: Polynesia 48: Aotearoa 49: Hawai'i 50: Antarctica

Last edited:
Hey Everybody! I've been a longtime lurker on the site but, without further ado, my first map!

Basically the POD is the 1837 Canadian Revolution, resulting in a number of things. The current year of the map is 1937, After the UK-German-Japanese alliance wins the Great War and sets up the League of Nations, which includes the North American Community, set up to keep the continent from tearing itself apart and (mostly) working. Any comments and questions are nice (And I do know this slaughters a lot of butterflies ;) )

Pretty good first map, and that is one fairly unconventional alliance between the UK, Germany, and Japan. Who were the other powers involved in the Great War, I assume the US and Russia were part of it, correct?

Would PRV just try and liberate its neighbours as sattelites, or would it try annexing them to form an Indochinese Union? Or perhaps it decides to spread further into Siam and beyond?
Given Korea is the fiercely isolationist place under Kim Jong Il, you can tell that the result is not going to be pretty in their treatment of either the backward imperial puppets or their Japanese overlords.
How Saddam is going to deal with the time frame is anyone's guess, but somehow all those Arab lands look tempting...
Korea (it won't be 'North' Korea for long) will almost certainly try to put itself in a position of power over its neighbors, particularly Japan and likely Qing China as well. But I imagine Vietnam won't be thrilled by Kim Jong Il trying to spread Juche everywhere so there'll probably be a weird cold war in eastern Asia that the Europeans try to navigate around. And yeah, Iraq will undoubtedly 1. seize Kuwait and 2. do what it can to influence/control the Ottoman Empire and possibly Iran.

Cuba is the wildcard here. No doubt they won't be thrilled to lie under a more imperialistic, racist, and actually-wanting-to-interfere-with-Cuba-as-much-as-possible United States but despite the tech advantage, they're really not in a position to put a leash on their northern neighbor, particularly not with their y2k economic troubles that have no doubt been exacerbated by the ISOT. I'd say it's possible that we see a strange cooperation and understanding between the two different countries, though certainly also possible that a similar situation to OTL develops.

Of course, all these dynamics could change drastically when the world learns about the Atomic Bomb. That information plus an already more multipolar world than OTL could lead to a strange, fascinating and truly horrific Great War. Or it could bypass the Great War entirely, though I'm not even sure what that would look like.

Pretty good first map, and that is one fairly unconventional alliance between the UK, Germany, and Japan. Who were the other powers involved in the Great War, I assume the US and Russia were part of it, correct?

Thanks! :eek:
The alliance was mostly formed as an anti-French/Russian bloc, while the us had failed its civil war and most of North America fought on different sides. After the war France and Russia fell to hard right and left regimes, while the power stucture of NA had changed (currently for the better)

OK, this you've already seen most of: a commission for e of pi, in which the British foolishly give away the geographical pivot point of their remaining North American possessions at the Treaty of Paris.

Before the US buyout of British North America:

Before2Map.png

Last edited:
And current day, with statehood dates included.

Very nice!

In the first map, you have two h's

Also, is Arcadia correct? And are they slowly moving to a more perfect union with the US, or are they happy to stick it out (until the cod fisheries collapse I guess)?

What's Newfoundland's status - are they part of the British metropole, legally? Most or less populated than OTL?

What are the population numbers like in general, compared to OTL?

Very nice!

In the first map, you have two h's

Also, is Arcadia correct?

Both corrected.

And are they slowly moving to a more perfect union with the US, or are they happy to stick it out (until the cod fisheries collapse I guess)?

They're sticking it out. Let's call them the fun-sized Canada.

What's Newfoundland's status - are they part of the British metropole, legally? Most or less populated than OTL?

Part of the metropole. A bit more populated, I think? But see below.

What are the population numbers like in general, compared to OTL?

Demographics are the devil. I certainly can't say for sure if this US has a baby boom or loosens and tightens emigration on a schedule like OTL. All other things being equal, I think some of the immigration that went to Canada OTL will go to other parts of the British Empire (like Newfoundland! :) [1] ): after all, if you went to Canada and _didn't_ then cross the border to go to the US, you had to have some degree of loyalty to the UK or at least some doubts about Americans. Probably more Hispanics, both due to the annexations and because the border is now closer and more accessible to the central Mexican demographic core areas, facilitating immigration. Of course, whether Mexico will be as big an exporter of emigrants as OTL is another things which is hard to say...

[1] And for various reasons, I suspect British!Newfoundland may get more largesse from London than it does from Ottawa OTL.

I made this map for my new TLIAW, Columbus in Columbia. What's the land that Spain's on? I wonder what it is... :p And please don't hesitate to check out the timeline! :D

So the Crowns of Castile and Aragon, minus Milan, the Macronesian islands, and the areas in North Africa? Odd that the Kingdom of Navarre is left out. And how long until the King tried unifying all the realms of himself and his queen, then set up his own church? Well, continuation of the Catholic one.

So the Crowns of Castile and Aragon, minus Milan, the Macronesian islands, and the areas in North Africa? Odd that the Kingdom of Navarre is left out. And how long until the King tried unifying all the realms of himself and his queen, then set up his own church? Well, continuation of the Catholic one.

It's Spain in 1492. Milan and Navarre weren't parts of Spain until the 1500's, and I included the Canary Islands as it's the only part of Micronesia belonging to Spain at the time. They also didn't have controll of their North African possessions until the 1600's, if what I read was correct (that might not be, I'll correct the map if I can find exactly what cities belonged to Spain in 1492).

And yes, the king will most definitely try to set up his own church. I'm not entirely sure how he'd go about doing it, so any ideas from your end?

It's Spain in 1492. Milan and Navarre weren't parts of Spain until the 1500's, and I included the Canary Islands as it's the only part of Micronesia belonging to Spain at the time. They also didn't have controll of their North African possessions until the 1600's, if what I read was correct (that might not be, I'll correct the map if I can find exactly what cities belonged to Spain in 1492).

And yes, the king will most definitely try to set up his own church. I'm not entirely sure how he'd go about doing it, so any ideas from your end?

Makes sense. And I missed those islands at first. Guess I assumed they were just part of the basemap. Kind of dumb of me, in retrospect. And I imagine it depends on how many cardinals are still in the Spanish and Italian areas. The Papacy might go in a minor regency period where the Castilian King keeps a certain degree of influence over appointments. Eventually a new Pope is elected after some time, perhaps with him being in Santiago or something. Maybe they clear the land in Beneveto if that was a Papal area by that time. Really, the King will probably have trouble with all of this. Foreigners in charge of Castile, the Castilian and mercenary armies cut off by the sea, no new trade... Perhaps if there is an Italian revolt, or at least one by Aragon, you could end up with some independent Italian states, with a hunk of them giving their fealty to the Pope. Perhaps they head onto the rest of the land north of Naples, clearing the land and setting up homesteads.

In your opinion, a Vampire Empire under the House of Tepes would basically be just a grimdark Rumania wank or there are other options? I'm asking especially to grimdark experts such as Cyberphoenix001 and RoyalPsyco.

Last edited:
In your opinion, a Vampire Empire under the House of Tepes would basically be just a grimdark Rumania wank or there are other options? I'm asking especially to grimdark experts such as Cyberphoenix001 and RoyalPsyco.
How frequently must they feed? How many super powers do they have? What are their weaknesses?

If the vampires resemble the original Dracula of Bram Stoker's novel, they'd be strong enough to be a threat, but weak enough to be a plausible threat. Otherwise, it'd be a grimdark Romania wank.

Really? Out of all the people whose names you could drop when invoking "grimdark", you chose mine? :confused:

Don't get me wrong, I'm flattered and all, but I really think there are more appropriate choices you could have gone with. I admit, looking back on it all, that quite a bit of my work errs on the darker side, but I'm not really comfortable assigning it with the memetically more cynical appellation of "grimdark".

But anyway, to get back to your question, it does indeed depend on what type of vampires you are talking about, and what their weaknesses are. However, you could always have them try to accomplish their goals through marriage instead of conquest, infecting the bloodlines of the other European monarchies in secret, which would not necessarily lead to a wank, at least if the other nations find out and make a concerted effort to contain the nations under the Vampires' thrall.

Honestly, I'm not much of a vampire fan (I prefer werebeasts), so take my suggestions with a grain of salt.
https://www.alternatehistory.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/https://www.alternatehistory.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

That would be an Austria Hungary that's secretly run by vampires, with the ranks of aristocracy including Elisabeth Batory and maybe Carnilla.
For the werebeasts, I think they would be more suited for southern Germany, with the Black Forest as their homeland and an army of red hooded warrior girls fighting them.
That would be the Grim(m)-not-so-dark.
Thank you.

Last edited:
And current day, with statehood dates included.

Lovely work here Bruce, always enjoy pouring over the attention to detail & plausibility you put into borders. Snark is on point as well! : 3

Hm, is the continental divide an inconvenient border? I ...think I can see why? (took ages for them to map out exactly where the Louisiana purchase ended, iirc that was part of why the UK and US opted for a neat parallel as a border.) The more you know.

X-posting my MotF entry:

The End of an Empire

Full size

the_end_of_an_empire_by_zeksora-da0diz1.png

From trading post to Imperial seat—Karlsland has come a long way from its humble beginnings as a mere outpost of the Austrian East Indies Company. There have been many milestones along the way: the founding of its capital city, Charlesburg, the shift from Company rule to full province hood in the Empire, the granting of self-government early in the 20th century, and of course the flight of the Austrian monarchs to the colony in 1921. Now, it seems that Karlsland is nearing yet another milestone: the abolishment of the monarchy.

The Emperor Charles I of Austria (and King Charles IV of Hungary) fled with his wife, Zita of Bourbon-Parma to Karlsland, the Austro-Hungarian Empire’s only overseas colony after the 1919 Peace of Versailles, in 1921. It survived being picked off by one of the victorious Entente powers for two reasons: first, it was full of Austrians, Hungarians, Czechs, and other ethnicities that would be difficult to assimilate, and second, it held very little of value in the way of natural resources. The reason for their flight was simple: Weimar Germany, in accordance with the principles of ethnic self-determination, had requested they be allowed to annex Austria, and after a quick plebiscite, the League of Nations reluctantly acceded.

Neither the Emperor nor the vast majority of Karlslanders wished to live under German rule, but there were large Hungarian and Czech minorities also living in Karlsland who were reluctant to allow direct rule by an Austrian monarch, fearing it would lead to discrimination against them. Thus, a compromise was made, in which the Emperor restored the old title of Austria-Hungary, guaranteeing the Hungarian and Czech minorities full citizenship in the Empire.

For 72 years Karlsland continued on in much the same way, as the Emperors grew slowly less and less potent and the Diet gained more and more power. By the early 1990s, the royal family was little more than a bauble, as in the United Kingdom. However, unlike in the United Kingdom, they were not a well-liked bauble, though they were most certainly an expensive one, with estates in almost all of the provinces requiring massive upkeep that came directly out of government coffers. The calls to abolish the monarchy grew with the spending reports each year.

Thus, in 1993 a referendum was held to determine the future of the Karlslander government: Should it continue to be a monarchy, or should it become a full republic? When the results came through in the end, they were not close. 68.13% of Karlslanders voted to abolish the monarchy, with only the capital city and Jaquin Province voting against it.

The new Karlslander constitution has yet to be written, and the nation of Karlsland faces an uncertain future, but one thing is for sure: There will be no more Emperors reigning from Charlesburg.​

Status
Not open for further replies.