Map Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
A crude map I made as a request for someone:

mFB4hCk.png

What context is this in for? Macedonia conquers Rome? Or vice versa?

Here's one of about six WIP's I have that are nearing completion; just so y'all know I am still working and thinking of new ideas.

Tentative title: "Glory and Peace"

Glory_And_Peace.png

I kept it British simply because the Bill specifies a northern boundary for Selkirk and Saskatchewan Territories but doesn't make any mention of the US annexing any land north of that. On my original map, I had it being annexed later and organised as Baffin Territory.

While I understand that reasoning I don't think it is correct. The annexation bill specifically mentions:

ARTICLE XI

The United States will pay ten millions of dollars to the Hudson Bay Company in full discharge of all claims to territory or jurisdiction in North America, whether founded on the charter of the company or any treaty, law, or usage.

At the time in 1866 this definition would have included all of the territory in the Artic including all of the islands.

The territorial organization outlined in the bill makes no mention of what happens to the territory north of Selkirk Territory and Saskatchewan Territory because the rest of that territory would have been "Unorganized Territory":

United States territory

Unorganized territory (dark green) in 1830.

An unorganized territory can also be a United States territory for which the United States Congress has not enacted an organic act. In this sense, unorganized territories are over which the federal U.S. government is sovereign but which are not located within any of the states of the Union and have not been "organized" into self-governing units. Currently, all federal unorganized territories are insular areas, administered by the Office of Insular Affairs, U.S. Department of the Interior. American Samoa is technically unorganized, in that Congress has not passed an organic act, but it is effectively self-governing, under the terms of a constitution last revised in 1967. As of 2006, Palmyra Atoll (formerly part of the Territory of Hawaii) is the only unorganized incorporated U.S. territory. The other unorganized and all organized territories are unincorporated. Incorporated territories are permanently part of the United States whereas unincorporated territories may be sold, leased or granted independence by the United States.

Unorganized territories (dark green) in 1900.

At various times during the 19th century, large parts of the Great Plains were unorganized territory. After the Louisiana Purchase from France in 1803, the entire region was part of the Louisiana Territory until 1812 and the Missouri Territory until 1821. In 1821 the Missouri Compromise created the State of Missouri from the territory, and the rest of the region was left unorganized. The Kansas–Nebraska Act of 1854 created the Kansas and Nebraska Territories, bringing organized government to the region once again. The creation of Kansas and Nebraska left the Indian Territory as the only unorganized territory in the Great Plains.

In 1858, the western part of the Minnesota Territory became unorganized when it was not included in the new state of Minnesota; this area was organized in 1861 as part of the Dakota Territory. On May 2, 1890, the western half of the Indian Territory was organized as Oklahoma. The remainder was incorporated into the State of Oklahoma upon its admission to the union in 1907.

Alaska was an unorganized territory between its acquisition by the United States in 1867 and the creation of the Alaska Territory in 1912.

In modern parlance, such territory would be considered incorporated territory (i.e., part of the United States proper), yet not organized territory. However, the distinction between incorporated and non-incorporated territories did not arise until the territorial acquisitions following the Spanish–American War in 1898.

So it would not have been annexed later. It would have been included in the annexation and possibly organized later.

I didn't, but I've gone back and edited it for you.

The description of the border between Saskatchewan Territory and Columbia Territory as "the Rocky Mountains" I interpreted as meaning the continental divide, which results in a pretty weird looking shape for Columbia!

There's also no mention of the land north of the Arctic Circle/70°N so I assumed it would remain British.

Oh, and the border of Alaska is slightly alternate (it was disputed at the time).

Beautiful, but as already mentioned there wouldn't be a British Artic territory but merely an unorganized territory there as part of the US.

Also I think the Selkirk-Saskatchewan border is off - it seems like the 110th meridian west rather than the 105th meridian west as outlined in the bill.

So I tried wargaming Operation Typhoon and the followup battles (as the Germans), and uh, well I guess I'm not the best general out there

Some notes:

XX Army Corps, VII Army Corps, and 3rd Panzer Army encircled south of Moscow, at Podolsk.

XXXV Army Corps, 29th Infantry Division, and Großdeutschland Infantry Regiment:eek: encircled between Orel and Kursk, at Fatezh.

4th, 8th, and 58th Soviet Tank brigades and 1st Shock Army, 13th Army, 16th Army, 20th Army, and 22nd Army poised to attack my ill-supplied troops around Moshaysk.

Soviet forces on the offensive West of Kursk (with even more reinforcements coming) with only the extremely depleted XIII Army Corps to defend against them. (Yes, I didn't capture Kursk:rolleyes:)

Overall I'd say my attack was a failure:p

Moscow.png

slowly retreats back into the shadows :(

That is an awesome map. It's not every day we get something hand drawn in here. Do you have a bigger resolution photo of that map? Also, do you have any pictures of your other maps?

Yes, I have a bigger resolution, but it is saved on another pc than the one I am using right now. Same is true for my other maps. I will upload them later.
I didnt really focus on alternate history. I just like drawing maps that are different from what you can find in an atlas. For example I drew Scandinavia without any borders (well, but you could also imagine it as one coherent state) and focused more on depicting the landscape

An ASB got tired of the old world always winning the Columbian exchange and thought he'd send the New World back in time from 1492. He kind of put too much energy into it though and sent all of human civilisation back to the Late Cretaceous. It wasn't a pleasant transition. Crop failures plauged much of the world as the local climate changed completely. In Europe most of the continent was lost beneath the waves. Still, after roughly a fifty year dark age much of the world got back on it's feet. There was a lot of land that could now handle a lot higher population densities. There were also great beasts with a potential to be tamed (Mongolians riding Hadrosaurs was a frightening sight across Asia). Humanity did what it did best and multiplied, enjoying the rich seas and warm weather.

Now the world has reached technological development similiar to OTL's late Victorian era. India leads the world in science, her factories and merchant fleets selling goods across the world. China is not far behind, a monolithic power seeking to dominate a more conquerable Asia, nations which have mostly kept par with China in the sciences, though lack her industry and manpower. The islands of Europe have built their naval capabilities, but lack the manpower and resources to stay ahead of Asia or India. The New World did prove a source of resources and riches though, as Portugal and Scotland became prime powers of the world. The northern landmass of Europe has seen it's population explode lately as a subtropical farming package has finally reached it. Africa has kept pace with the world much better than OTL, though they are still a bit behind thanks to tropical diseases and foreign Colonial efforts. South America meanwhile holds two of the worlds less remembered stars, an Indian colony which broke free and is rapidly industrialising as well as the Inca who never suffered the dark age which racked the rest of the world (the Andes were a similar enough scale to give a similar climate) and have fed the world's demand for silver for centuries to amass a significant treasury.

Still, there's a reason the eyes of the world are on Asia. China wishes to grow, and her neighbours will fight with a ferocity the world has yet to see in order to stop this advance.

Beautiful, but as already mentioned there wouldn't be a British Artic territory but merely an unorganized territory there as part of the US.

Also I think the Selkirk-Saskatchewan border is off - it seems like the 110th meridian west rather than the 105th meridian west as outlined in the bill.
Thanks for the pointers - I've redone it again with those changes.

I also added in some alternatives for the Saskatchewan/Columbia boundary as following the continental divide produces a very odd shaped border.

g3lNcyu.png

Here's one of about six WIP's I have that are nearing completion; just so y'all know I am still working and thinking of new ideas.

Tentative title: "Glory and Peace"

May I ask a few things?

Like what is the year of this? What's going on with Korea, France, the British Isles, and the Empire?

Here's a WIP of mine for MotF (I've finally figured out how to properly make a map in Inkscape):
PmfZx2A.png

Feel free to try and guess the scenario, but what's done right now is essentially a giveaway ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.