Map Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicxulub

Banned
As always, there's a relevant XKCD that one of you was probably referencing.
napoleon.png

That is what I was thinking of when I wrote that.

no_more_pax_americana___2016_by_federalrepublic-d9owh47.png

"The 1980s saw the rise of a new political ideology in the United States: paleoconservatism, or paleocon. After the collapse of the Soviet Union and the apparent signs that America could now, for one thing, rest easy, and secondly that, in retrospect, most American foreign involvements after World War II have been pointless, the paleocon wing of the Republican Party became dominant and ultimately swept into the White House and most state governments in the first half of the 1990s. And with that, America's status of a superpower effectively ended.

The America-shaped void in international politics was however quickly filled: the NATO survived, though now "led" by France, and both Japan and Australia, other close American allies, formed their own alliance bloc in order to contain China. Furthermore both China and Russia surged. With recent involvement in Ukraine, Russia is once again a threat to European safety and China has been flexing its naval muscles in the South China Sea has made the Philippines and Japan worried, especially since China has already shown its prowess by annexing the essentially abandoned Taiwan in 2011. Will there be war? Will America once again present itself on the world stage again like it used to? Nobody knows!"

It's done now! Sorry for the short write-up and the honestly kinda implausible scenario but... This was too much fun to make.

Last edited:
It's done now! Sorry for the short write-up and the honestly kinda implausible scenario but... This was too much fun to make.

Nice work. Those colors look familiar. ;) Speaking of which, some of the color boxes (such as for North Africa and Serbia) are screwy.

Nice work. Those colors look familiar. ;) Speaking of which, some of the color boxes (such as for North Africa and Serbia) are screwy.

I mostly used obscure TACOS colors for it, though I must admit I took the colors for the Union State, China, India and the TPA from a few of your maps... What can I say, I like the style and the muted color scheme of yours XD

EDIT:

Nice work Isehrlon, but Serbia and the North African state have the wrong colours on the key.

Fixed.

I like it very much. Do you happen to still have the version with the borders of 1866?
I didn't, but I've gone back and edited it for you.

The description of the border between Saskatchewan Territory and Columbia Territory as "the Rocky Mountains" I interpreted as meaning the continental divide, which results in a pretty weird looking shape for Columbia!

There's also no mention of the land north of the Arctic Circle/70°N so I assumed it would remain British.

Oh, and the border of Alaska is slightly alternate (it was disputed at the time).

txDMOIb.png

Looking good, did Rome conquer Persia and that blob in Turkmenistan? Like the look of your TL since ancient / classical world TLs are my favourite! :rolleyes:

Ah, no, the Blob is the Huns Migrating into Europe, the POD takes place during the civil wars of the teterarchy. The thread is 'An Empire Divided' each of those are defact independent nations. :p I should probably include labels :eek:

Rubberduck, I don't have Wikipedia experience, but I would encourage you to look through their picture tutorial to find out how. Otherwise, someone else on the thread can add it to Wikipedia.

Rubberduck, I don't have Wikipedia experience, but I would encourage you to look through their picture tutorial to find out how. Otherwise, someone else on the thread can add it to Wikipedia.

I can upload it to wikipedia, if that's okay.

edit: Done.

if you didn't want me to do this, let me know and I'll delete it

Last edited:
Not my greatest work but at least I managed to finish this old map of mine which I started last summer. Behold it in all its dystopian and mediocre glory XD Click it for the full size, by the way.

[*]Guangxi is independent! Hong Kong and Macau are the top dogs, and they've started to go so hyper-capitalist that original founders of the ruling Umbrella Party are starting to wonder if maybe they should've gone a less radical route...

You confused Guangdong with Guangxi.

EDIT: Also, why would an independent Guangdong laid claim on RoC?

"The 1980s saw the rise of a new political ideology in the United States: paleoconservatism, or paleocon. After the collapse of the Soviet Union and the apparent signs that America could now, for one thing, rest easy, and secondly that, in retrospect, most American foreign involvements after World War II have been pointless, the paleocon wing of the Republican Party became dominant and ultimately swept into the White House and most state governments in the first half of the 1990s. And with that, America's status of a superpower effectively ended.

The America-shaped void in international politics was however quickly filled: the NATO survived, though now "led" by France, and both Japan and Australia, other close American allies, formed their own alliance bloc in order to contain China. Furthermore both China and Russia surged. With recent involvement in Ukraine, Russia is once again a threat to European safety and China has been flexing its naval muscles in the South China Sea has made the Philippines and Japan worried, especially since China has already shown its prowess by annexing the essentially abandoned Taiwan in 2011. Will there be war? Will America once again present itself on the world stage again like it used to? Nobody knows!"

So who was the Paleo Prez?

Why would the British keep the high arctic?
I kept it British simply because the Bill specifies a northern boundary for Selkirk and Saskatchewan Territories but doesn't make any mention of the US annexing any land north of that. On my original map, I had it being annexed later and organised as Baffin Territory.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.