Map Thread XII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, is one country obviously dominant over the other? If so, use the dominant partner's colour. If not, then I don't know either, that's not a problem I've encountered.

Difficult to say, since in this scenario Russia is big, but Poland is the influential power.

Vasa is the ruling dynasty of Sweden and Poland during the 17th century.

People will assume it to be Russia-dominated if you use Russian colours, less of a commonwealth and more Russia-with-colonies. If you are patient enough, you could colour each it's own colour and outline it in something- perhaps Russia could be the Gold and the outline Russian Green, or maybe something more neutral like Bylorussian Purple or EU Blue.

And now for something completely different...

BZQ8oAs.png

(probably should have used a smaller font, sorry :eek: )

This is what I've got so far. It's incomplete since I have a lot to change, and this is for the CF.net version of my sig TL.

Outline is in Byelorussian purple.

Alternate1613Ver1.PNG

THIS IS A WORK IN PROGRESS!

This schematic map ve stavbě (i.e. under construction) :D is supposed to be an RER-/S-Bahn-style commuter rail grid for the Czech capital of Prague (the so-called Esko) after the inauguration of a double inner-city crossrail link in the fashion of a nové spojení II as envisioned here (Source: cedop.info). I decided that 2030 were a bit soon so I went for 2040.

Blue is Smichov-Karlin; Green is Negrelli Viaduct-Vrsovice. Said bridge crosses the Vltava River between Holesovice and Old Town. As it's all just a draft, I mostly gave mere general directions instead of names for every station. The biggest headache was cleaning up the mess in Prague's north while the south is separate enough.

Masaryk Station has been completely abandoned from rail traffic and Main Station has at least been voided from its commuter rail. The R trains may still serve Main Station, but all the S trains that yet end at said two stations or even in Smichov or Vrsovice would all run on any of these two crossrails in Central Prague in this scenario.

And as in the script from cedop.info, I also implemented a curious yet-to-be-built bridge between Smichov and Branik while ignoring the existing Smichov-Main Station bridge near Vyton as it's too old and too rotten, but under monumental protection that can't go on for good.

The orange line is OTL present S41 from Bubenec to Hostivar via Holesovice and Liben.

Florenc station (Metro B/C) would be the functional successor to Masarykova as a collector of the northern services while Wenceslas Square station would be both connected to Main Station and Muzeum (Metro A/C).

The two major links cross each other grade-separated at Florenc station where one link is overground and the other underground though I've forgotten which is which.

Most central stops of the blue lines (all but Wenceslas Sq.) have handy access to Metro line B and are also well connected to the tram network. For the green lines, Albertov which isn't that far from Vysehrad or Charles University has superb access to trams while the Brotherly Sons Square at Vrsovice Station would then have access to a new Metro line D. At least, I hope so.

esko_raw.png

Are there any usable base maps for the Indian subcontinent. I need something to replace this multi-color monstrosity. As you can see I'm trying to chart the expansion of the Dutch Raj and would like to make it less... gaudy.

base-map-of-india-2.jpg

Are there any usable base maps for the Indian subcontinent. I need something to replace this multi-color monstrosity. As you can see I'm trying to chart the expansion of the Dutch Raj and would like to make it less... gaudy.

Go with Qbam. It's in xt828's signature. It has the internal borders you might need, and on the wiki there's one with the princely states (around 1914.)

Hey everybody, here's a fun map! It's not mine, and I found it on reddit. Dude takes a LOT of poetic licensing with some of these translations, but I don't think any of them are outright wrong.
Except for the ones he didn't translate, and some he mistranslated from the incorrect languages. Also, some of the text is too small. But I thought it worthy of sharing. Finally, he is NOT a linguist.
UKPgpL4.jpg

Spain is the Kingdom of the Setting Sun? No wonder the British went on about that never happening to their empire.:D

Zhongyang is a tough one to get an exact translation on. It can mean all sorts of things, like Middle Kingdom, Central State, the Center of the Universe, the only land that matters. Central State would be better (at least I think so) than Central Power.

The Canada one is a bit iffy. Kanata was probably the name of a village, but it probably didn't mean village. As far as I know, anyway.

Goldstein

Banned
Close call on Spain, but no. Land of the setting sun would be Hesperia, how the Greeks called this. Spain ultimately comes from Punic I-Shapham-im, Land of the Hyrax/Rabbits.

Status
Not open for further replies.