Map Thread XII

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Final WIP, almost done. :D What do you think?

May want to remove the pixels separating West Tryol from North and South Tryol. Base map error, I think. And possibly you should do something with Austrian Silesia, such as unifying it with the rest of Silesia. Or a portion, perhaps having the Teschen area being combined with the area the Germans and Poles squabbled over in the Interwar period due to it's high industrial potential.

Anyone have any comments on my map?

Should I continue trying to use the World-M map or switch to a different one?

It might just be me but the thought of World-M takes a while to get used to. Like there are no "standards" for good maps with that base, so... Please continue. Having more people use it means that it'll become easier for others to adopt it as well (I for one save almost every worlda map I find interesting in order to "recycle" portions of the borders).

It might just be me but the thought of World-M takes a while to get used to. Like there are no "standards" for good maps with that base, so... Please continue. Having more people use it means that it'll become easier for others to adopt it as well (I for one save almost every worlda map I find interesting in order to "recycle" portions of the borders).

Thank you. That's why I wanted to try using it, to hopefully garner interest. I think the World M has a lot of potential, but it definitely needs work.

I did my best to get the states in Brazil and the eastern United States right, along with at least a few of the Raj's princely states. Same goes for a number of other borders.

World M? Huh?

A key and/or backstory would be nice.

Yep, the world M. I like the size. The improvement thread is here. https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=340503

As I said, it is a work in progress. A colour scheme, some notations, and some extra add ins still need to be put in.

The decade is the 1950s and it's seventy years after the Martian occupation. The occupation itself lasted thirty years and left its mark. America was carved up for example, but then reunified post occupation... in a fashion.

The America you see is the 2nd American republic, the core member of the Commonwealth.

India is independent under a branch of the British royal family. The Martians went about carving up all the big empires and countries, and the Brits were no exception. Britain proper went republican after the fall of the Martians.

I posted a map of this setting in Worlda format here a while ago, but the backstory wasn't very clear. Coming back to it and making it a World M map is part of an effort of mine to expand on the scenario.

I like the map. :D

Thanks. I liked yours too.:)

Why exactly are you changing Lille to Flämisch Insel? That makes no sense at all!!

A few years ago, I was researching (old) German names for French and Wallon cities and towns for a Germanophone "Frace"-TL. Somewhere I found, in German, Flämisch Insel is an old, archaic name for Lille.

mysterious_new_world_by_beedok-d8gnosa.png

Finished. Sort of. Will probably annotate it later.

A few years ago, I was researching (old) German names for French and Wallon cities and towns for a Germanophone "Frace"-TL. Somewhere I found, in German, Flämisch Insel is an old, archaic name for Lille.

The first name was apparently Ad Insulam, on the isle. In OLd French that was à l’isle, and in Middle Dutchthat was ter ijs(s)el.
mouskroenwg0.jpg

While I have not seen Flämisch Insel myself, it sounds rather plausible.

EDIT: But when is the PoD of your map, Sakura F? I ask because some of the internal subdivisions are a bit implausible.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.