Map Thread XII

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's amazing, how did you create the continents and all that? Did you go through tectonics, etc.? What is the climate and geography, I'm assuming that big place in the middle is steppe/desert?

Thank you. The geography itself is actually a mash up of a few different world's I've created over the past couple years. A big section of the coastline is actually taken from the world in the Acecombat games for example. Other than that it's mostly hand drawn though. I didnt really think about tectonics when drawing the coasts but looking at it now it looks like you could fit some of the continents into eachother like you would Africa and South America. I did take tectonics into account when making mountain ranges, however, which you'll see in a topographic map I'll post eventually. Also you would be correct about the desert. There are actually three large deserts on this planet, which are probably better shown in a biome map I'll get around to posting sometime. In general though the planet's climate is fairly diverse, though probably not very realistic since I kinda winged it when it came to climate placement.

A map of the former Gran Colombia in my timeline linked below.

The year is 1856

SvzJMoo.png

Gian

Banned
Well, here's a blank map of Antarctica from the (Alternate History Wikia/non-AH.com) TL the Great White South (practically cross-posting it from the Blank Map thread) . . .

db7dnIL.png

. . . plus a political map of Antarctica's countries ITTL.

FZkpIY3.png

Well, here's a blank map of Antarctica from the (Alternate History Wikia/non-AH.com) TL the Great White South (practically cross-posting it from the Blank Map thread) . . .

Which of those are independent countries situated entirely on Antarctica? What are these countries? Why does New Zealand exist? Is the south polar area owned or administered by a UN analog or is it treaty protected from claim? What kind of environment is in this place? I assume it is all tundra with maybe fringes of peatland and conifer forests. I still can't see it being very productive.

Which of those are independent countries situated entirely on Antarctica? What are these countries? Why does New Zealand exist? Is the south polar area owned or administered by a UN analog or is it treaty protected from claim? What kind of environment is in this place? I assume it is all tundra with maybe fringes of peatland and conifer forests. I still can't see it being very productive.
I'm guessing we're talking about populations similar to Canada's territories or Greenland.

Gian

Banned

A) Basically all of them (except New Zealand; see C)

B) Bellinsgauzenia is a state colonized by Russians (with some Dutch thrown in there). Eduarda is a British-colonized state (as is New Devon, which is mixed English-Russian, and New South Greenland), Maudland was colonized by the Scandinavians (mostly Norwegians), New Swabia by the Germans, and Ognia is a state populated with Fuegian peoples (it was influenced by Russia though).

C) New Zealand has some territories in Antarctica (basically the Ross Dependency and Balleny Islands)

D) The South Pole is basically neutral territory unclaimed by any nation (like what Antarctica is IOTL)

E) Well parts of it is polar (mostly around the main ice cap), but I figure that there are some continental climes in some parts of the continent.

This is a map I remade showing the partition of France in a world where the English Commonwealth survived. This scenario is implausible but I made this only for the looks for it's been a while since I made a map this detailed.
Besides The Commonwealth still existing, France managed to put down it's revolution and thus was still a kingdom. As France spend more time colonizing and empire building, the Commonwealth was more of an isolated state. It held control over the British Isles and parts of North America but it was never so successful as France. The Commonwealth & France were rivals during the late 19th century but even The Commonwealth's leaders knew that it would be foolish to wage open war. A shockwave however went trough the commonwealth as it heard that Prussia (soon to be Germany) defeated France and had taken control of territories along the border. Weary of the new Empire but in need of a strong ally, The Commonwealth signed a friendship pact with the Germans. With this new ally they could slowly gain ground on France if the opportunity arose. And it did, on the 28th of june 1914, Franz Ferdinand heir to the Habsburg throne was shot in Sarajevo by a
Serbian Nationalist. War had erupted across Europe. Weary of the Germans, the French Launched an attack trough Belgium* and along the Rhine border.
Later that day the Commonwealth received an message from the Germans. This was the chance they been hoping for to deal with their old rivals once and for all. For many years now The Commonwealth was building up it's army and war industry. This finally could come to good use. As soon as their armed forces were ready, they attacked. Launching attacks along the Normandy coast, Commonwealth troops started to pour into the North of France. After grueling years of wars, France and it's allies were defeated. At the peace talks in Versailles, Germany and especially The Commonwealth wanted to disarm the French once and for all. Besides France having to pay huge restoration fees to everyone involved, They also had to let go of huge swats of land. In the north of France, a Commonwealth puppet state was founded. Breton's and Occitanians got their own state. The Burgundy region became a German puppet state. The rump state became the French Republic.

*I'm aware that this brief description is glaringly incorrect. Since it's pretty hard to account for the existence of Belgium within this. There are also other inconsistencies. I only wanted to sketch out a scenario to go with this map.

1om6xe.jpg

Last edited:
Nice map. Is Paris partitioned?

Yes, I couldn't find a good enough map of Paris to put in the map as an inlay.
Paris is the capital of the Gaulish Commonwealth but it only controls East Paris. So you can say that East Paris is the de facto capital. Maybe I should put a small map of Paris in there tough.

Untitled.png

Not quite sure what the POD is. Basically I was thinking the US Civil War is worse for numerous reasons and the USA breaks up into six sovereign states.

Orange: The New California Republic
Teal The Holy State of Deseret
Tan: The Confederate States of America
Dark Red: The Endless Nation (Native American State)
Green: The New England Republic
Gold: The Republic of Texas
Navy: United States of America

Last edited:
Has anybody tried making a basemap of Planecotopias giant, Lyr, to scale with the Worlda basemaps? Is such a map available on the Wiki? With "to scale", I mean that it has 2-3 times(?) the size of a Worlda, and it should have also (realistically) depict the oblateness.

If somebody could make/provide me with such a map, that would be great as I want to experiment with ISOTs/shenanigans on Lyr! I do love this planet!

Will this France, as being a "Versailles Republic"(?), also fall to fascist/Nazist/radical right-wing forces?

Technically, the rump French state considers West Paris to be the capital but
Versailles is their De Facto capital. And yes, the new state would know an influx of fascist and radical ideas into the political mainstream mostly driven by the desire to unite the motherland, and undo the humiliation of the treaty. But across the Seine, things aren't going swell either. The hardline Protestant leadership of the commonwealth had most Catholic churches in the newly occupied territories striped of valuables and send off to England, to help pay for the cost of the war. Although a French Chancellor was chosen by the Commonwealth high-command to lead the new state, Everybody knew that the real power lied with the newly appointed Secretary of Gaulish Affairs. He even set up his headquarters on Île de la Cite, and bragged about how the Notre Dame cathedral was his own personal chapel. This news set the tone for Anglo-French affairs after the war. It was clear that someday everything would come to a boiling point once again.

Has anybody tried making a basemap of Planecotopias giant, Lyr, to scale with the Worlda basemaps? Is such a map available on the Wiki? With "to scale", I mean that it has 2-3 times(?) the size of a Worlda, and it should have also (realistically) depict the oblateness.

If somebody could make/provide me with such a map, that would be great as I want to experiment with ISOTs/shenanigans on Lyr! I do love this planet!

I really like that website! I've explored some of the other planets, but this was the first time I looked at Lyr. Thanks for pointing it out to me.

WiP time! Basically its supposed to be the result of an alt-WW1, but already sped-up to the 1930s. Germany came out surprisingly well out of the whole affair, however Russia isn't in a very good shape, though they were at least spared of Soviet rule, though Georgia wasn't (oh hey, Stalin). The Persian Qajars were overthrown and Reza Khan became the first president of the young republic, trying to imitate Atatürk. Everything else is relatively unclear (duh, WiP...). Enjoy!

EnhancedWorldA.png

Here's a WIP for an ASB TL of mine:
Sigh...another unrealistic Japanwank? I'm pretty sure the population of California alone is more than a quarter of Japan's, plus with the rest of the West Coast and (presumably) Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and potentially parts of China, Japanese people will be a minority within their "own" empire.
WiP time! Basically its supposed to be the result of an alt-WW1, but already sped-up to the 1930s. Germany came out surprisingly well out of the whole affair, however Russia isn't in a very good shape, though they were at least spared of Soviet rule, though Georgia wasn't (oh hey, Stalin). The Persian Qajars were overthrown and Reza Khan became the first president of the young republic, trying to imitate Atatürk. Everything else is relatively unclear (duh, WiP...). Enjoy!
Looks interesting. Can't wait to see the finished product. :)

Sigh...another unrealistic Japanwank? I'm pretty sure the population of California alone is more than a quarter of Japan's, plus with the rest of the West Coast and (presumably) Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and potentially parts of China, Japanese people will be a minority within their "own" empire.
It could be an uber Californian Empire. Or Chinese.

A map of Europe from the "Armageddon" and "The Abyss" scenarios in HoI II: Armageddon
EDIT: Fixed the North Belarus border being visible

hoi-II-armageddon-map.PNG

Status
Not open for further replies.