Map Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, this is a more decent Canada.:p

2can.png

Geez, y'all, just a silly little mapwank. Probably should have put it in the ASB threads. Yes, I mean the Lesser Antilles. I just use the Virgin Islands as a short hand for the east Caribbean. Bad habit, I know.

I would have called you on it there, too, but that's just because I'm an island aficionado.

So, my first Map of the Fortnight entry in a while...

Just a quick one here: Mansa Abubakari II of Mali (known as Manden in this world) manages to put his nautical interests to better use by sending expeditions up the coast of Africa instead of sailing off the edge of the world and never coming back. Under his successors, Manden merchants establish further trade links with North Africa, both by sea and across the Sahara. This strengthens the Genoese trading empire relative to OTL, as they happen to be the next link in that chain, but an analogue to the War of Chioggia leaves Genoa as the lesser partner in a Manden-Genoese alliance against the Ottomans and the Castilians. Meanwhile, Manden consolidates its hold over the western Sahel and the small states to its south. As the year 1500 dawns, a certain Genoese explorer has arrived in Niani to petition the Mansa for funds for an expedition to the west, hoping to find a new route to the Orient beyond Ottoman control...

c4di.png

Last edited:
Good call on the Falklands, Beedok, but you missed the Aroostook and Oregon countries. :p
The POD was during the American Civil War. Luckily Canada and the US and about to start squabbling, and you can guess who'll be the victor. (No, the Soviets were not the one and only reason Canada survived!)

Only half of Guyana? For shame.
Only half of British Guyana, double the French Guayana to make up for it (and possible plans for a personal union with the Dutch).

I'm 100% certain none of you have ever been to northern SK, nobody lives there. It's almost completely empty except for lakes and drumlins. It would almost certainly be a territory.

There's 36k people in northern Sask, but it also includes a good chunk of Alberta Census Division 16 which adds 67k people. That's a total of 103k. With a more powerful Canada interested in exploring the North (but it being only the 70s) the population of the area for this map is basically 90-100k. (It's province status is controversial though)

Also the map I was going to post before the Canada wank-off.

Food riots are widespread due to the setting in of a nuclear winter, both Super Powers have lost their offensive strength. The Asian Propserity League isn't being very nice to the recently conquered Republican Chinese (who are seen as not true Chinese by the citizens of the Empire of China). The Soviets are held together by being a terrifying Communo-Islamo-Confucionist dictatorship that makes Juche look balanced. (Don't ask them what their ideology means, looking at it too closely induces insanity.)

silly.png

It makes sense, given that its based in Central Asia, Western China, and Persia that the USSR would be culturally Islamic. Is that other Russian state some alternate brand of Communist? What's the tiny Chinese state in Yunnan again? Why is there a civil war in Madagascar? Who's the state in Central Africa?

I hope you actually disassemble the megastates, it'd be a nice reversal of what usually happens.

The Soviets are held together by being a terrifying Communo-Islamo-Confucionist dictatorship that makes Juche look balanced. (Don't ask them what their ideology means, looking at it too closely induces insanity.)

Not sure what holds the APL together: now that China is reunified, one thinks priority one would be toppling the Japanese from their throne.

If the Soviets lose some of the more populous chunks of interior China, with their expansion west they'll definitely end up Muslim majority...

Bruce

Hmm, it shows up OK for me when I look at it on my phone. Does this link work for you?

Same here, this new link works, just see a "image here" box in the actual thread.

Couple questions: so all the states to the south are vassals, but are Tarabulus and Marsa allies or satellites? Is "Ada" another name for Akan?

It makes sense, given that its based in Central Asia, Western China, and Persia that the USSR would be culturally Islamic.
Thanks.

Is that [removed] Russian state some alternate brand of Communist?
Basically they're boring traditional marxists who aren't sure about these Muslim and Confucion ideas being sprinkled in.

What's the tiny Chinese state in Yunnan again?
A warlord state that no one could be bothered with. It's being run sort of like OTL Myanmar or something.

Why is there a civil war in Madagascar?
Mishandling of a drought.

Who's the state in Central Africa?
The United African Republic. The Germans thought that if they let a bunch of their African subjects on not so valuable land go life would be easier. It proved true until the Americans saw it as a sign of weakness. The UAR are aiming to unite all Africans (eventually).

I hope you actually disassemble the megastates, it'd be a nice reversal of what usually happens.
Some of them definitely have a limited life span left.

Not sure what holds the APL together: now that China is reunified, one thinks priority one would be toppling the Japanese from their throne.
The Japanese have the best military and have a monopoly on the production of anything above rifles. That and the fact that Korea, White Russia, Vietnam, Thailand, and the other non-Chinese view letting the Japanese keep running things as better for them because the Chinese would just bury them in numbers. Of course China is not reunified. The Republic of China remains a separate entity within the Asian Prosperity League in the process of integration, and the past 50+ years of propaganda have driven a wedge between the two Chinas steeper than OTL's Chinas or Koreas. In a way they hate each other more than anyone else because they see the others as a direct insult to what it means to be Chinese.

If the Soviets lose some of the more populous chunks of interior China, with their expansion west they'll definitely end up Muslim majority...

Bruce

We'll see about how that goes. Samarkand is slowly having to accept real politik.

The Republic of China remains a separate entity within the Asian Prosperity League in the process of integration, and the past 50+ years of propaganda have driven a wedge between the two Chinas steeper than OTL's Chinas or Koreas. In a way they hate each other more than anyone else because they see the others as a direct insult to what it means to be Chinese.

Japanese propaganda has achieved this? Sorry, just don't believe it.

Bruce

Same here, this new link works, just see a "image here" box in the actual thread.

Any better now?

Couple questions: so all the states to the south are vassals, but are Tarabulus and Marsa allies or satellites? Is "Ada" another name for Akan?

Tarabulus and Marsa are probably a little more towards the satellite end of scale, given their smaller size and that they're closest of the North Africans to the expanding Ottomans. Marsa's situation is complicated a little more by the fact that it was a Genoese possession for a while.

Ada, Bono, and Begho all have a sizable Akan ethnic component.

Status
Not open for further replies.