Map Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
A somewhat ASB map in nwhich every active (as of 2013) secessionist group gains independence.

Kudos for that Sápmi, which actually looks like something that could gain independence and be Sami-majority (in contrast to most maps which show it as having most if not all of the north). You might drop the Norrbotten coast. Scania, however, should only include Scania itself, and even then, only a handful of students living outside Scania would ever support that independence movement.

Also, there's an independence movement in the Midlands but none in Yorkshire? Didn't expect that.

Ah. Never heard of them before. I see that so far nobody's considered those 'Mercian' separatists significant enough to create a separate wiki entry for them...
But from their entry on that page, it looks as though what they're actually calling for is for England to be turned into a federal nation with 'Mercia' as one of its top-level political divisons, which makes labelling them as "separatists" rather inaccurate in my opinion. "Reorganisationalists", instead, maybe...

What's the minimum strength needed to qualify as "a separatist movement" for the purpose of this map, anyway? Two men and a dog? :p

Last edited:
Ah. Never heard of that before.
I see that so far nobody's considered those 'Mercian' separatists significant enough to create a separate wiki entry for them.

What's the minimum strength neede to qualify as "a separatist movement" for the purose of this map, anyway?

I think he just went with Wikipedia's lists of active separatist movements.

Marko's Romania in 1600

The present day country of Romania can trace its origins back to the 9th century AD
The Gesta Hungarorum, a medieval document describing the history of the Transdanubian Valley, mentions three Voivodeships in the area from the 9th century. These were the Voivodeships of Gelou, Glad and Menumorut. The anonymous author describes the inhabitants as the Vlachos. Another Voivodeship, Gyula, was added in the 11th century and in 1176 a Bulgarian inscription attests the existence of a Zupan, Dmitri, who ruled over Dobrogea in 943.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romania#cite_note-46
In the middle ages, the Romanian peoples were divided into three distinct principalities; Wallachia, (otherwise known as Țara Românească), Moldova and Transylvania but by the 11th century Transylvania had become a largely autonomous part of Hungary.
In the 14th century the larger principalities of Wallachia (1310) and Moldavia (around 1352) emerged to fight the threat of the Ottoman Empire and both territories achieved their independence from the Hungarian Crown after military victories at the Battle of Posada in 1330 and the social conflict we know as the Moldovan boyars' revolt of 1364. These historic events were initiated by Basarab I of Wallachia (1310–1352) and Bogdan I of Moldova (1359–1365) respectively but by 1541, all of the Balkan Peninsula, and most of Hungary, was under Ottoman rule even though Moldova, Wallachia, and Transylvania preserved partial or full internal autonomy.
Over the next 150 years, several rulers of these territories distinguished themselves. These included Stephen the Great, Vasili Lupu, Dmitri Cantemir, Matei Basarab, Vlad Tseppesh (Dracula), Konstantin Brâncoveanu, John Hunyadi (Johannes Corvinus) and Gabriel Bethlen.
In 1600, the Principalities of Wallachia, Moldavia and Transylvania were simultaneously headed by the Wallachian Prince, Michael the Brave (Mihai Viteazul), who dreamt of a single unitary state but the chance for a lasting unification was lost when Mihai was assassinated only one year later. After his death, Moldova and Wallachia continued to survive as separate vassal tributary states while Transylvania, once again came under Hungarian domination.
The end for all three states came when The Habsburgs expanded their empire to include an important part of Wallachia called Oltenia (which was returned only in 1739), and in 1775, the north-western part of Moldova, called Bukovina. The eastern part of Moldova, called Bessarabia, was taken over by Russia until 1812.
What if ………………………………………………………………………Michael the Brave (Mihai Viteazul) had not been assassinated in 1601 and had gone on to create Romania some 200 years earlier than OTL
In OTL the Ottoman war against the Habsburg was carried on the inane belief that victory was certain (God had judged it to be so!) but in this ATL the Ottoman sultan, Ahmed I, facing a potential Habsburg and unified Romanian alliance, decides against this and withdraws his forces to a more defendable position south of the Danube and east of the Morava rivers.
Ahmed also decides to establish friendly semi-autonomous states in Rumeli (OTL Macedonia) and Arnavutlik (OTL Albania). This decision pays huge dividends when the Ottomans are victorious over the Safavid Empire at the Battle of Sultanieh in 1618 (in OTL they were defeated!) and decides to concentrate on his Middle Eastern dominions.
These allow the Ottomans NOT to spend money, time and resources on energy wasting and expensive wars in the Balkans and are able to reconstruct their society accordingly. As a result they are in a strong position to become a leading world power once industrialisation develops in the late 1770’s
Another development in this ATL is that The Iberian Union, a political unit that governed all of the Iberian Peninsula from 1580–1640, does NOT unravel and, furthermore, is cemented.
The Iberian Union or Union Iberica was a dynastic union between the monarchy of Portugal and the Spanish branch of the Habsburg monarchy after the War of the Portuguese Succession.
Following the Portuguese crisis of succession, a dynastic union joined the crowns of Castile, Portugal and Aragon along with their respective colonial possessions, under the rule of the Hispanic monarchy. The Habsburg king was the only element of connection between the multiple kingdoms and territories. The institutions government and legal traditions of each kingdom remained independent of each other. The alien laws (Leyes de extranjeria) determined that the national of one kingdom was a foreigner in all the other Iberian kingdoms.
The unification of the peninsula had long been a goal of the region's monarchs with the intent of restoring the Visigoth monarchy. Sancho III of Navarre and Alfonso VII of León and Castile both took the title Imperator Totius Hispania, meaning "Emperor of All Hispania" centuries before. The union could have been achieved earlier had Miguel da Paz (1498–1500), Prince of Portugal and Asturias, become king but he died early in his childhood.
What if …………………………………………Miguel da Paz had lived to manhood and inherited the throne? Could this have been the beginning of a unitary state and brought the Austrian Habsburg dominions under their authority as well?
In this timeline The Union Iberica, along with the reformed Ottoman Empire, are the world super powers of the 17th, 18th & 19th centuries.
Apart from the Iberian peninsula the Iberians control Piedmont & Lombardy (known in this timeline as Cisalpine Iberia), the Mezzogiorno and Sicilian regions of Italy (known in this timeline as The Iberian Meridian ), the Franche-Comté (known in this timeline as Jurassic Iberia)and Pays-de-Calais regions of France, all of the lowlands i.e. Holland, Belgium & Luxembourg(known in this timeline as The Iberian Netherlands), Austria (minus the Tyrol), Slovenia, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, the Silesian region of Poland, the Transcarpathian region of the Ukraine(known in this timeline as Mitropan Iberia ), all of Morocco, the coastal region of Algeria and all of Tunisia(known in this timeline as Mauritanian Iberia), plus ALL of the Americas(still known in this timeline colloquially as America but officially referred to as La Tierra de Los Puros ‘Land of the Pure’ because of its hyper racist and puritanical culture).
This is because Britain & France, the other great imperial powers of the early modern age, effectively tear themselves apart in a series of bitter civil wars leaving the Iberians as the only power to exploit the vacuum left by the other.
In the early 17th century of this timeline, England is invaded by a better trained and equipped Scottish Army and the resource rich, North West, North East and Yorkshire regions all come under Edinburgh’s control.
The Welsh princes react by pushing for, and achieving, independence and the rest of England descends into civil war. King James I (in this TL son of Elizabeth Tudor), is killed by a Scottish raiding party near Litchfield in 1614 and his elder son Henry IX inherits the throne but his reign ends ignominiously when he drowns in the river Trent running from away the battle of Nottingham in 1625.
His inept son Charles I, does better than expected by holding back the Caledonian hordes but is assassinated by Lutheran extremists in 1633 leaving his infant son in the hands of the regents, Sir Thomas Stafford and the Archbishop of Canterbury, William Laud.
The rebels, known as the Parliamentarians after the support they receive from that great but ineffective institution, look to capitalise on this but apart from The Home Counties, East Anglia and the East Midlands, fail to capitalise on the discourse of the royalists.
The Aldermen and Burghers of London propose a comprise; allow the puritans to keep their “Commonwealth” in those regions they control while the Royalists keep the South East (Oxford, Berkshire, Hampshire, Surrey, Sussex & Kent) with London, under its own authority; The Corporation, acting as an intermediary between the two.
This is agreed upon but the South West counties reject this and elect to form a much looser federation, with local legislatives and ruling councils deciding on what is best for them and, more importantly, how they should be administered.
Wales becomes a separate state and, at first, looks set to also dominate the West Midlands but centuries of animosity between the Anglo-Saxon and Celtic populations results in the West Midlands becoming a separate state with its own royal prince as sovereign lord; The West Anglican Marche or, colloquially, Anglemark.
France does not do much better either. Despite being in a strong position to stop the Iberians, inept bureaucratic mismanagement by the Bourbon Kings leads to a series of major revolts. Brittany and Pays-De-La-Loire form their own state; Bertaeyn, as does Aquitaine & Midi-Pyrenees; Gascony. Languedoc-Roussillon, Rhône Alps & Provence-Alps-Cotes d’Azur too form their own state; Occitania.
The rump state of France; The Royaume Demesne, survives but is badly weakened and to cap it all the Iberians effectively force the king to sign Nord-Pas De Calais over to the Iberian Netherlands (OTL Holland, Belgium & Luxembourg)
The Old Holy Roman Empire or Germania, as some in this timeline prefer to call it, disintegrates into a series of independent duchy’s, although this is not necessarily a bad thing as some of them are very powerful indeed and it at least prevents a devastating thirty years war from developing.
PLEASE FREE TO CONTINUE THIS THEME IF YOU LIKE!

178 (XI) Map 1.png

Markos Romania

Forgot to mention before I posted my reply that I was sorry to see that Marko's entry on July 23 (page 178) didn't get a better response than it did although I do agree with Alex Richards about how do you get all those changes with a 1601 POD.

I was quite intrigued by the idea, so here is my cover version with appropriate maps

Feel free to comment

Forgot to mention before I posted my reply that I was sorry to see that Marko's entry on July 23 (page 178) didn't get a better response than it did although I do agree with Alex Richards about how do you get all those changes with a 1601 POD.

I was quite intrigued by the idea, so here is my cover version with appropriate maps

Feel free to comment

Ohhhhhh...you on the other hand have MANY anachronistic borders ... I look at you Saxony-Anhalt and Saxony with post-1990 borders

Here’s another copy of the world-map for my ‘Wider Still, And Wider’ (or ‘Earth Fred’) TL as of somewhere around mid-summer in 1903ASD, this time with some locations marked by numbers and with a key explaining these posted next. It depicts a world that is temporarily, although of course only too temporarily, at peace… Well, more or less so, anyway… There are some relatively minor ‘colonial’ conflicts going on here and there, in cases where for one reason or another the locals are being reluctant to accept “the benefits of civilised rule”, but northern Mexico and the Laotian client-states that France recently took from Siam are the only two areas in which the fighting is currently extensive enough to seem worth showing on this map. The previous [un-annotated] version of this map is at https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?p=7944493&highlight=Danzig#post7944493.
Compare it to the maps for the year 1913, after the ‘Great War’ that was soon to start, for which I’ve already posted several versions (the most recent of which is at https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=7881104&postcount=3269).

A few of the differences between this map and the ‘1913’ one are actually points about which I’ve changed my mind since posting the latter: They have already been updated on my own copy of it, and I’m going to post that fairly soon too. FYI, the main details shown on this map that the previously-posted version of the 1913 one doesn’t show but that should be regarded as errors in that copy rather than as having been changed by the intervening decade of historical events ITTL are:
1/ The city-state of Danzig is a member of the German League in its own right, and has been one since 1813, although it was occupied by Prussian forces during the Great War. Both ITTL and IOTL it was annexed by Prussia at the First Partition of Poland, having been self-governing under Polish rule until then, and apparently IOTL at the Congress of Vienna it actually asked for a return to that status instead of continued Prussian rule: It made the same request ITTL, and as the Prussians had spent too much of the preceding ‘Jean-Charlesian Wars’ allied to France to have as much credit with the Congress as their IOTL counterparts this ‘League City’ status (as also held by, e.g., Frankfurt-am-main, Hamburg, or Nuremberg) was considered the best solution instead.
2/ Italy owns all of Valais, rather than just the “lower” section of that former Swiss ally.
3/ The eastern border of the United Netherlands is slightly further east than the OTL Dutch border [and has been since 1813].
4/ Roussillon belongs to Spain rather than France [and has done so since 1813].
5/ The Habsburgs managed to keep the southern end of Bukovina as a part of Hungary when they lost that dukedom’s northern end [along with eastern Galicia] to Russia in 1843 as the price for Russian aid in suppressing rebellions elsewhere.)
6/ The boundaries of the American province of ‘Iroquiea’ are more generous to Canada than was previously shown.
7/ There is a distinct & separate ‘imperial canton’ [in 1903] or ‘province’ [1913] in the ‘Eastern Cape’ area of South Africa.
8/ Some of the boundaries between the political divisions in ‘Terrae Australis’ are a bit less convergent on those of OTL than was previously indicated. (Also, although the cantons & colonies there weren’t organised into a Kingdom until a point somewhere in between the dates for these two maps and so the fact wouldn’t be obvious from looking at the 1903 picture, ‘Maori-Land’ chooses to remain outside of that federation until after the situation shown by my corrected version of the 1913 map.

Earth Fred 1903 annotated.PNG

Key to the numbers shown on the above map.

It is the year 1903. The world is, more or less, at peace… Well, the bits of it that “civilised” people bother about are, anyway. The British Empire is unquestionably the leading power, by a long margin, but… Has it been relying too much on everybody knowing that it’s #1, and too little on making & keeping friends? How will the widespread belief amongst the Americans that they now deserve an even greater say in the Empire’s management (and perhaps even to have the role of Imperial Capital transferred to one of their cities) be handled? Are its armed forces really strong enough to cope if a high proportion of the various situations in which present tensions seem potential threats the Pax Britannica were to erupt in quick succession to one another?

1/ Great Britain: This country is the centre of the British Empire, of course, but would still have to be considered one of the world’s leading powers even if none of Her Majesty’s other seven kingdoms existed at all. Prosperous on the whole, and rather smug… but the working class isn’t seeing as many benefits as “their betters” and is getting a bit noisy about this.
2/ Spain: The most recent amongst Europe’s nations to have lost a war against the British Empire (1871-’72, when the military junta that was then in control pushed a dispute over some “executed” British and American sailors too far and the Empire — in a bellicose mod itself at the time — responded by ‘liberating’ the Philippines and seizing most of Spain’s remaining colonies as ‘reparations’…), and still unhappy about Britain’s longer-term control of both Gibraltar and the Balearic Islands. Its government is getting rather close to that of France, despite what happened last time around…
3/ France: It seems that being probably the most powerful nation on Earth outside of the British Empire might not be enough for their current [‘Boucherist’] government, which is making noises about being entitled to a greater place in the sun and — slightly more quietly — gathering allies… but surely they aren’t going to be so stupid as to start another ‘world war’?!?
4/ Germany and Prussia: The states and people of the League have elected Queen Augusta of Hanover (i.e. Queen Augusta of Great Britain, [etc], the Head of the British Commonwealth-and-Empire) as their ‘Reich-Protector’ (i.e. constitutional head of state). The current King of Prussia, whose father was her main rival in that election, is grumpy about this and has had his ministers working to reduce the League’s importance within his lands. A drive for colonies so that Prussia will be seen as a world power, even though it “came late to the table” and has mainly had to settle for areas that nobody else wanted much, a ship-buying programme so that it can “protect its colonial trade”: Sometimes it looks as though he’s deliberately trying to provoke the British…
5/ The Habsburg Lands: Reorganised into three kingdoms (namely Austria, Hungary-Croatia, and ‘the Lands of the Crown of St Wenceslaus’ [i.e. Bohemia, Moravia, Silesia, and the Habsburg-owned section of Lusatia]), each of which has its own parliament although the monarchs — with the Emperor of Austria as “first among equals” for these — retain significant levels of power too. Slightly more stable than their OTL counterparts. They were traditionally allied with [and subsidised by] the British Empire in the event of European wars that affected both powers, but are feeling a bit “neglected” nowadays… and are involved in an argument with Italy, another long-term ally of the British, into the bargain.
6/ The Ottoman Empire: Crete has been placed under “international” administration following a widespread rebellion, which the British & their allies wouldn’t let the Turks ship massive reinforcements in to crush, there; Cyprus is technically “leased” by Britain as a base from which to counter potential Russian aggression against the Turks. Neither fact is appreciated by the current Ottoman government, which is trying to introduce modernising reforms (without making political concessions) and would prefer to be running all of its territories for itself.
7/ Finland: Unhappy about recent attempts at russification.
8/ Poland: Unhappy about attempts at russification in the Russia-owned ‘Principality of Poland’, and about foreign rule in general. The Habsburgs have hinted quietly that they might consider turning their share into a separate (but still “allied”) kingdom, which has actually increased rather than decreased the levels of public unrest across the entire land and has consequently irritated the governments of both Russia and of Prussia. Might yet another rebellion here be the flashpoint that triggers the next major war?
9/ Russia: Tsar Ivan VIII had successfully reclaimed all of the powers that his grandfather had ceded to a ‘duma’ [i.e. parliament], limited in scope though that body was anyway, but Russian armed forces’ recent defeat at the hands of the Japanese ( *<Shock!>* *< Horror!>* ) has led some people to question — amongst themselves — whether having an all-powerful monarch is really a good idea in these modern times after all. Still, there’s always a place for any such doubters… a place in the depths of Siberia, that is.
* In the meanwhile, France and [to a lesser extent] Prussia are helping Ivan to develop some parts of his country. British Imperial intelligence services would really like to be able to get a better idea of just what is being built in some of those places… (This is not a ‘steampunk’ TL; and tThis is not going to become a ‘steampunk’ TL…. but the Axis must have SOMETHING that they think will let them get an invasion force safely past the British Empire’s navies and across the Channel…)
10/ Sebastopol: One thing that has Ivan and most of his subjects agreeing with each other, however, is that the British Empire really shouldn’t have retained this stronghold as a “leased” ‘treaty port’ after the Crimean War. To be honest, there are people in Britain now who would agree in private that doing so was “tactless” at best and probably unnecessary too, but even most of them strongly dislike the idea the loss of face that would be involved if Britain gave in to his [rather blunt] demands on the subject.
11/ Manchuria: Russia and Japan vie for influence in what is not only a part of China but the actual ancestral homeland of the latter empire’s ruling Qing dynasty into the bargain.
12/ The Ottoman Empire (again): The current government’s attempts at modernisation seem to place more stress on centralising administration and more thorough tax-collection than on improving things for the provincials, at least as far as most provincials can see.
13/ Persia: Penned in between three other empires, at least two of whom are — reluctant though the Persians themselves might be to acknowledge this — significantly stronger than them. Unhappy.
14/ Afghanistan: King Mohammed Amnaullah died last year, “of natural causes” (because for a leader in that part of the world, getting stabbed during a public audience still is a “natural” cause of death…). Two of his sons and one of his cousins are now “arguing” about who will succeed him on the throne. The petty vassal-kingdom of Dardistan (or, as most outsiders still call it, ‘Kafiristan’) continues to go it own way, under its half-British king. And, of course, various other tribes up in the highlands are largely going on in their own ways — which in some cases involve raiding across what are supposed to be international borders — as well.
15/ India: Nationalist pressure is rising. Will they be offered ‘Kingdom’ status within the Empire? Will they accept this as enough? Are the nationalists actually unified enough in their views for their actions & reactions to be predicted accurately?
6/ Thibet: This country is a mystery wrapped within an enigma, or maybe contrariwise. Its government disagrees with China about where their border should lie, and is quite politely outright
17/ China: Various defeats by European powers, with the loss of some ports and and forced opening-up to foreign influences as results. Defeat by Russia. Defeat by Japan. Defeat by Russia, again. Has the Qing dynasty lost “the Mandate of Heaven”… and, if so, then who will take their place?
18/ Japan: They’ve beaten China, they’ve beaten Russia, but which way will they turn next?
19/ Arabia: Saud, the Emir of Nejd, has managed to unite many of the peninsula’s tribes behind his banner and the Wahabbi creed... and the promise of loot.
20/ Siam: Unhappy about having had its Laotian vassal-states taken under French “protection”, it now finds Britain expressing interest about some of its Malay vassals as well.
21/ South China Sea: Lots of little islands, several conflicting claims…
22/ The Philippines: Currently a protectorate within the British Empire, but with a high level of internal self-rule in most matters. Some of the local leaders are angling for ‘Imperial Canton’ status.
23/ Lord Mulgrove’s Range: Prussia bought these islands from Spain shortly after the latter nation had just lost the Philippines and various other islands to the British. Their location isn’t quite enough to make Prussia “an empire on which the sun never sets”, whatever the King of Prussia likes to think.
(This name was actually suggested for those islands by Captain Marshall, their “discoverer”, after whom they are named instead IOTL.)
24/ Terrae Australis: the British Empire’s colonies and cantons out here have started talking to each other about the possibility of forming a federation.
25/ Hawaii: Although this kingdom is still run by its native monarchy, under the British Empire’s protection & guidance, settlers from outside the islands are becoming increasingly influential there. The empire’s navies have a base, although so far only a fairly minor one, at Port Cook (OTL = Pearl Harbour).
26/ France controls the Tuamotu Archipelago outright, but shares control over…
27/…the Gambier Islands with Italy (as a ‘condominium’), and…
28/ …the Society Islands with the British Empire (ditto).
29/Easter Island was taken under the Empire’s protection shortly after a raid by ‘blackbirders’, who sold many of the natives to Peruvian mining businesses, in 1861. Peru was “persuaded” to return the captives, but smallpox came with them and the population is still lower now than it was before that incident
30/ Selkirk Islands: Chili ceded any potential claims that it might have to these islands to Britain, in gratitude for [i.e. as a part of the price for] Imperial help in maintaining its independence… and still gets a share of any profits from business activities there anyway. Chili generally acknowledges that this was a good deal.
31/ Aleutian Islands: Tsar Ivan’s government has been trying to claim recently that Russia’s sale of its interests in North America to the British didn’t extend to cover these islands. The wording of the actual treaty says that it did do so.
32/Some people in Columbia are seriously considering the suggested possibility that all three of the empire’s constituent ‘Kingdoms’ in North America could merge into a single, very powerful nation. Most of them, however, are concerned about the possibility of finding their own interests subordinated to “eastern” ones if such a union were to go ahead.
33/ Canada is even less interested than Columbia in that possible union, but does wonder whether it might be possible for this kingdom — by itself, alone — to absorb one or both out of Newfoundland (with Labrador) and Rupert’s Land
34/ Mexico rashly sided with Spain during Anglo-Spanish War of the 1870s, and Columbia established an autonomous’ administration in the formerly Mexican province of [southern] Baja California as a result of that conflict…. and now Mexico has lost control over its other northern provinces to rebels, whose behaviour has started the North Americans looking south with what seems all-too-serious interest (from a Mexican viewpoint) again…
35/ ‘Cibola’ is the name finally chosen for the ‘Autonomous Province’ that was established within the British Empire — under the combined supervision of America, Columbia, and Missouri — to include almost all of the other lands that Mexico lost to the Empire in 1872. Mexico still wants it back, of course, but while the Mexican government can’t even control those provinces that are internationally recognised as being unequivocally its own any dreams of irredentism will obviously have to be set aside. Not that a Mexico that did have firm control of all the provinces up to the current internationally-recognised border could do much against the might of the British Empire — not by itself, anyway — of course…
36/ Texas has its own share of the lands that Mexico lost back then, too, and administers them — under the name of ‘West Texas’ — as an integral part of its territories. However the government of the Kingdom of America has so far refused to sign-off on their formal incorporation into that province.
37/ ‘Shawnee Territory’ is the southern remnant of the former ‘Indian Reserve Territory’ whose northern districts (‘Illinois’ and ‘Miami’) were combined to form the ‘canton’ of Westmoreland twenty-some years ago. It actually has enough people living there now to qualify as a canton too, but continuing disagreements over the extent of “valid” native land-claims are still holding up this process.
38/ The Kingdom of America is now the most populous kingdom within the Commonwealth-and-Empire, and if it isn’t quite the wealthiest of them as well (I haven’t yet decided whether it’s overtaken Britain in that role…)then it’s certainly heading in that direction. Many Americans therefore believe that it should have an even greater say in the Imperial Council than is currently the case, and perhaps even that the Council itself should be relocated to American soil… Well, either that or that America should be less subject to the Council’s authority in the first place (or even, in some people’s opinions, that it should have a greater say in the Council and be less subject to the Council’s authority…). American politicians and business leaders — including certain ‘press barons’ — are also, as one would probably expect, the leading force behind the idea of unifying North America.
39/ San Domingo and Puerto Rico were added to the Kingdom of America as ‘Territories’ after the Anglo-Spanish War. Many of the locals are still unhappy about this fact, even though those islands have since been upgraded [in combination with each other] into a ‘Province’ instead.
40/ Panama: This former province of Gran Colombia rebelled eleven years ago, and called successfully for Imperial protection at a time when the Empire was involved in a dispute with the Colombians (re the western borders of British Guiana) anyway. Construction of a canal linking the Caribbean [& thus the Atlantic] to the Pacific began barely a year after that, and was completed last year. The government of Gran Columbia still refuses to give Panamanian independence recognition de jure, rather than just de facto.
41/ Eastern Gran Columbia: And now the Colombian government is worried about rebelliousness in this province, too. Renaming it from the more traditional ‘Venezuela’ was meant to send a message, but seems not to have helped… ;) The fact that some dissidents have been able to take refuge in British Guiana doesn’t help much, either.
42/ The Perus: Concern about potential threats from their neighbours is the main factor holding this confederation together. Well, that and the army, anyway….
43/ Brazil: So far the emperor Paulo III, in alliance with the country’s ‘Liberals’, is managing to hold on to power in the face of pressure from their society’s more oligarchic elements…. As far as the cities of the east coast are concerned, anyway
44/ Paraguay didn’t have the OTL, Francisco Solano López, but it had another leader of similar overconfidence during the same period instead. After the dust had cleared, the United Republics of Banda Oriental somehow found themselves with a protectorate over this remnant of the former Paraguayan nation.
45/ The United Provinces of La Plata find themselves under the rule of a military dictator… again. He isn’t interfering with international trade, but he is still far from being Britain’s beast friend in the region.
46/ Araucania and Patagonia, Kingdom of: The British Empire’s administrators in these lands wonder why, and regret the fact that, the Empire gave in to temptation and accepted the request (which had been made only by an Italian who’d spent a few years living there and claimed to have been proclaimed king by the natives, not by the actual natives themselves) to take the place under its protection. There might be strategic reasons for holding on to ‘New Skye’ (alias ‘Tierra del Fuego’, if you prefer) as well as the Falklands, at least before the Panama Canal was opened, but the mainland… The climate, both of the neighbouring nations having their own ideas about who should own the place, the ungrateful & unruly [& sometimes downright disgusting] native tribes, the lawlessness of the European & American whalers and prospectors who’ve somehow found their way there, the Welsh settlers’ self-righteousness, their massed choral singing… Oh gods, their massed choral singing… :(
47/ The Ottomans strengthened their control over Tripolitania and re-established direct control over Cyrenaica in the aftermath of Britain’s intervention in Egypt. Britain, hoping to keep the Ottomans friendly, actually supported this policy.
48/ Egypt: Nominally a part of the Ottoman Empire, although with a high degree of autonomy, but effectively run by British ‘advisors’.
49/ Sudan: Sort-of run from Egypt until the Mahdist Rebellion; nominally ‘Anglo-Egyptian’, but effectively just British-run, since that was suppressed.
50/ Liberia: There was some disquiet amongst elements of the British Empire’s “white” populace when this “black”-run colony was granted ‘Imperial Canton’ status… At least with the cantons in the West Indies, for comparison, most of the key jobs were still effectively monopolised by the “whites”.
51/ French Congo: Rumours leaking out from the depths of this land suggest that the French aren’t being as “enlightened” here as they are — or try to be seen as being, anyway — in their other colonies.
52/ Katanga: British and French expeditions arrived in this region, and started making treaties and claims there, at about the same time as each other. The situation nearly triggered as war, but cooler heads prevailed on both sides and a ‘condominium’ arrangement — albeit a rather shaky one, so far — was eventually established.
53/ South-West Africa is the Prussians’ largest colony in terms of land area. Most of the native population (or what remains of it, anyway) is rather unhappy how the Prussians are running the place.
54/ The two Boer republics of ‘Transvaal’ and ‘Northern Free State’ are both nominally under British supervision although effectively independent in most respects. They both have reasons for wanting full independence, and their cause has some support amongst other Boers further south as well.
55/ Madagascar was traditionally seen as falling into France’s sphere of influence, at least by the French, although in practice they hadn’t had any significant presence there for approximately a century. Now the British have stepped in and established a formal protectorate over the kingdom, instead. France is not amused…
56/ …and has formally claimed all of these islands, while they were still available, “just because”.

Last edited:

Teshuvah

Banned
Countries by handedness of traffic, c. 2100.

Changes from left to right-hand traffic:

Guyana and Suriname: Changed over as part of their accession to the European Federation.

Europe: Ireland, Cyprus & Malta switched over shortly before the formation of the European Federation, as European law required all constituent states in the Federation to keep right.

US Virgin Islands: Switched over mid-century shortly before they became a US state.

Changes from right to left-hand traffic:

Owing to unique economic and political circumstances, the last hundred years have seen a comeback in left-hand traffic.

Afghanistan: Switched over in 2069 due to their increasing economic dependence on India.

Rwanda and Burundi: Switched over in 2025 as part of plans to form the East African Federation.

Madagascar: Switched over in 2050 before becoming a member of the Southern African Economic Zone (SAEZ).

South Sudan: Switched over in 2081 right before acceding to the East African Federation.

Burma, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, and the Philippines: Switched over at varying points throughout the century in order to fall in line with the other members of the Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN).

New Caledonia: Switched over in 2040, a decade after gaining its independence from France, to fall in line with Australia, New Zealand, and the rest of the South Pacific.

Other notes:

The United Kingdom is the sole remaining country in Europe to drive on the left. Traffic changes sides at the Irish border now, and EF-Britain relations are decidedly sour. The UK imports most of its cars from Japan and ASEAN.

Right and left-hand traffic is actually becoming something of a charged political issue as India exerts its might more and more. The so-called "Driving Wars" between Indian and Chinese-aligned nations are actually a real thing, much to everyone's amusement.

Untitled.png

Cross-posting from MotM

I plan on adding rivers, and doing a few things with textures/shading, but only If I have some free time tomorrow.
Interesting map, Reagent, :) but a long term survival of TTL Angola would require sharing power with the other population groups.
This would probably start by the (culturally) assimilated non-white population and progressively extend to everyone else.

Last edited:

You've really got an interesting idea here, though I do have some questions and pointers about things that look a tad improbable to me:
- You mention that the Nazis are overthrown and a military regime installed (this sounds suspiciously like AGB, but never mind that), but what happened then? Did the old Weimar Coalition secure the restoration of a German republic? Was the Kaiser put back on? Did the military cling on to power until they were overthrown (like in AGB)?
- I somewhat doubt France could've held on to its colonies that long. There was a clamour for independence for basically the entire post-war era. They could probably have maintained a hold on them through most of the 60s (which would have a lot of advantages, most prominently a longer time in which to create a class of educated locals who can actually do governing and to sort out ethnic conflicts in the colonies by redrawing boundaries), but I can't see them still being French in 1990. I could see them in some Commonwealth-style deal, similar to the French Union of OTL, assuming the French don't do something to rile up the anticolonialist lobby (which keeping exclaves in Algeria would do), but direct rule is highly improbable.
- The name "Fertile Crescent Federation" strikes me as a bit of a mouthful. Perhaps the "Federation of the Levant" would work better?
- Incorporating Romania and Serbia would, or so I think, be unnecessarily belligerent; it would create a precedent for Mother Russia gobbling up small countries that would have literally every country on its borders cowering in fear (creating the very real possibility of another war, something no one wants), and Moscow can control them indirectly through the Comintern and its successor organisations just like it did IOTL.
- Is America still controlled by the New Deal Coalition (or its successors)? "Capitalist anti-colonialism" sounds exactly like what their foreign policy was like.
- This is a tiny issue, but those salients into Poland will be impossible for Russia to administrate effectively. I should think the border would be an appropriate compromise in any case.

Status
Not open for further replies.