Map Thread X

Status
Not open for further replies.
[map snipped]

Here's an alternative US scenario, with them gaining Nova Scotia somehow. This is taken from my timeline, but since I like focussing on maps I figured I'd post it here, too. :)

That is a heck of a map. What base map and program did you use?

Here's an alternative US scenario, with them gaining Nova Scotia somehow. This is taken from my timeline, but since I like focussing on maps I figured I'd post it here, too. :)

Hey, that map I found! You've done quite some work on it. So you exported it to Photoshop and applied effects afterward, yeah? How big did you export it to keep the quality up?

Thanks!

I used a world vector map I had somewhere on my PC as a base. I then cut out the coastline, the rivers and the current states' borders (all as vector paths) from it and made this map. All effects, bar the old paper texture, were made with Illustrator. Now, the great thing about vectors is how scaleable and customiseable they are which means I can update the map and add new states as my TL will hopefully progress.

Interesting: and you say this is going to be a whole setting/TL?

(BTW, this line "A world just like our timeline, but different still; where technological advances walk side-by-side with the misery of a Nigerian slum child" makes me think "and this is different from OTL how?" :) )

Bruce

I wanted to make a paradox. Show that alternate worlds also have their slums and their high society. I planned to make this difference between the western, eastern, soviet and third world more profound. Grimer and more nittygritty. :)

This is awesome! I'd be very interested in a map of the larger world. Who is the US President? Someone OTL?

Thanks!:D Well I haven't really fleshed out the details, besides the world map and some flashpoints! Stay tuned more to follow.

Great map, Zauberfloete! I love the details about the alternate space exploration/colonisation and the continuing Cold War. :D

Thanks, alot! :D I love your Uralic map! Especially the style.

Wouldn't Obama be seen as a tad too white for high office in Kenya? I am also unsure about which group his father was from which may be important, as I have gained several Kenyan friends over the past two years and one told me about how important tribal connections were in politics.

I know that Kenya politics are more or less defined by tribal loyalities. But I couldn't resist the coolness of having him as President of Kenya.:D

Last edited:

EDIT: Noted that I linked to a previous version.

Veeery nice indeed.

Bruce

I wanted to make a paradox. Show that alternate worlds also have their slums and their high society. I planned to make this difference between the western, eastern, soviet and third world more profound. Grimer and more nittygritty. :)

OTL's third world is grim enough for me, thanks. :D

Bruce

Another pulpy one from me. The present date of the setting is about 1200 AD.

christian_egypt_by_daeres-d5tdybv.png

The latter, I figured the term was still likely to apply and it was also extremely unlikely that no potent states would arise from Arabia in the absence of Islam.

< rips out hanks of hair > ARGH!!

West Florida never included the Isle of Orleans!! This is the border of West Florida. Forgive my stridency (and the size of the map), but I've had to point this out many times

west_florida_map_1810.jpg

Krall

Banned

Great map, tnowacki! I'd love to see other maps from this timeline. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.