Map Thread X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, new map thread. I remember when I came in, we were only on Map Thread II. I feel old.

But I suppose I can show you a preview of the latest map I'm working on. I'm just making it cleaner and more Wikipedia-esque now.
I like where this is going.

My work-in-progress: the same world as my previous Kurdistan map and these UN flags, and again, only a work-in-progress, but most certainly the general ideas are all there.

(Also, I swear I'd completed the main portion of this map before d32123's recent Europe map. I'm not stealing from him, I promise!)

World War II goes differently; D-Day fails and the July Bomb Plot succeeds, but the Soviets still crash through Europe. Manhatten are severely delayed, and Japan is starved out, surrendering late in 1945 after the Soviets land on Hokkaido. The map shows the state of the world around 1948 or so.

Red dots indicate areas with a strong Communist party.

Lighter red indicates Soviet puppet governments; red with outline indicates areas the Soviets are administrating themselves without middlemen.

1950.png

I know how you feel. When I joined, it was Map Thread VI.
And if I joined earlier, I could say the same as well...

Hell, when I first saw this site it was on Map Thread IV... (Seriously, its the truth. I lurked for two years before joining. I first saw this site in February 2008)

d32123

Banned
(Also, I swear I'd completed the main portion of this map before d32123's recent Europe map. I'm not stealing from him, I promise!)

Oh my premise was far from original.

I doubt that the Soviets would be able to launch an invasion of the Home Islands.

Hmm, new map thread. I remember when I came in, we were only on Map Thread II. I feel old.

But I suppose I can show you a preview of the latest map I'm working on. I'm just making it cleaner and more Wikipedia-esque now.

Manitoba-Ontario border is terribly convergent.

Oh my premise was far from original.

I doubt that the Soviets would be able to launch an invasion of the Home Islands.
With Lend-Lease warships backing them up and the express blessing and aid of WAllies' naval forces (as the war was very slow to wind down and the Allies wanted Japan dealt with ASAP even if they had to work with what they knew to be the bigger threat to do it; and more importantly, the Russians were willing to give it a shot, whereas the US and UK were having trouble getting Downfall going)- difficult, but doable.

What happened to Czechoslovakia to end up like that?
The legitimate government-in-exile never returned (Poland, Czechia, Jugoslavia, Greece, *Prussia/Kaliningrad/Danzig, and the Baltic states have GoEs in London), and the puppet government experienced something akin to the Polish and Hungarian 1956 revolts. (There's also a big difference between what happened in Czechoslovakia- a very light occupation with an eye to hand over power to puppets as soon as they become readily available) and, for instance, Poland (where the Soviets are doing basically everything they can to break the Poles' will, up to and including giving special leeway to the remaining Germans- even the remaining Junker aristocrats- across northern Poland and the vaguely Prussian state- to more-or-less keep the Poles down. See, the Poles managed to really tick off Stalin.)

'No middlemen' is a bit of a misnomer; imagine light red as closer to Vichy France-esque while outline-and-red is just straight-up occupation.

I like where this is going.

My work-in-progress: the same world as my previous Kurdistan map and these UN flags, and again, only a work-in-progress, but most certainly the general ideas are all there.

World War II goes differently; D-Day fails and the July Bomb Plot succeeds, but the Soviets still crash through Europe. Manhatten are severely delayed, and Japan is starved out, surrendering late in 1945 after the Soviets land on Hokkaido. The map shows the state of the world around 1948 or so.

Red dots indicate areas with a strong Communist party.

Lighter red indicates Soviet puppet governments; red with outline indicates areas the Soviets are administrating themselves without middlemen.

Commies take over most of the world, I like it.

This is my first actual map, other than collaborating in map games, I think.

Hope it isn't too bad. It's probably not very historically accurate, I'm not an expert on the era, but had an idea and went with it.

the pacific republic origins.png

Ah man, not the first page again. Oh well, every Map Thread needs some Alternate History of the Netherlands.

Central Asia and North America need some work.

World 1913 Labelled.png

Status
Not open for further replies.