Map Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had rather a bit of time on my hands. So I drew a random map.

My writing is notoriously unreadable; my joined writing is worse; I apologise. Interpretations available on demand. (Unfortunately, the scan ate some of the finer details, and no amount of contrast-playing could get them back; suffice it to say, there were roads drawn at several key points on the map that now look oddly blank.)

For the record: drawn on clean paper; old paper texture added in Paint.net, as drawing on old paper would have been a.) difficult, b.) not as good-looking, and c.) a severe drain on my limited supply of coffee/tea-soaked paper. (Which I in fact have.)

drawnup.jpg

@Every Critic as so far on that map.
About that roman empire, it's not so ASB. First of, there was a short lived Reformist emperor that was not born OTL that partially restructured and updated ERE, delaying it's collapse... by a few years, but it was rather quickly reformed by Bulgarians and Serbians. Rome itself is only the de jure, not de facto capital, and was only recently rewon in the aftermath of an anti-papal movement.

:rolleyes:

You said a post-1400 POD.
Map of Europe 1400.

http://www.euratlas.net/history/europe/1400/1400.jpg

See that teeny pink speck?
That's the Byzantine Empire.

It ain't gonna happen. Not without an earlier POD.

Bruce

The Byzantine Empire is kind of like a cockroach. Even if you cut off its head, it's capable of surviving and mating, and for every Byzantine Empire you can see, there's at least ten in hiding.

Vexacus

Banned
Here's the first version of my as-of-yet un-named map. The Blue obviously indicates the United States, the purple in Norh America is the Democratic People's Republic of Quebec while the darker purple is the People's Republic of China and red is the Empire of Japan:
Map.png

Working on an updated version of this map which I hope to post soon

Timur's empire was passed onto a very capable heir, indeed, but said heirs children split the empire into 12 separate states, one of which (The Azeri Khanate) conquered the remains of the Golden horde. Many years later, the Delhite emirs reunited the empire. Now that the last Timurid, Taraghay Emir, has died, the empire is collapsing once and for all.

That seems a bit too convenient. Where was this heir when he died? The problem is that the balkanization of the horde will simply make it easier for the various peoples living in the little Emirates to rise up. I do't think they appreciate Timurid rule, whether under an Emir or a Khan. As we can see from OTL once a Khanate loses a good leader you can split it up into districts and it'll still collapse. Though obviously this depends on the circumstances Timur was so good at scaring people that his successors would be hard-pressed to find the same quality.

Here's the first version of my as-of-yet un-named map. The Blue obviously indicates the United States, the purple in Norh America is the Democratic People's Republic of Quebec while the darker purple is the People's Republic of China and red is the Empire of Japan:

Three things:
1. Your Quebec state doesn't even include Quebec City (or indeed, any of the province). Try to revise this.
2. The US annexing Quebec and New Brunswick, but not the Quebecois part of the Gaspé peninsula, is batshit insane. So is annexing Vancouver Island, but not the rest of BC and/or the Yukon.
3. How many times do I have to say this?
DON'T UPLOAD TO PHOTOBUCKET.
Or if you have to do so, at least follow Krall's suggestion of clicking 'do not resize' when uploading. Preferrably use imgur.

Map.png

Shouldn't the purple be in Quebec and not Ontario :p

2. The US annexing Quebec and New Brunswick, but not the Quebecois part of the Gaspé peninsula, is batshit insane. So is annexing Vancouver Island, but not the rest of BC and/or the Yukon.

This is particularly amusing. Gaspe has no large population centers and there is absolutely no reason they should stay independent when the US could take them over easily and control the entire St. Lawrence seaway. It's like a hostile Hutt river taking over the mouth of the Murray.

Is that a Chinese Scotland?

Krall

Banned

Vexacus, this is a rather lazy map. As far as I can tell you've just used the fill tool to colour in regions from a pre-existing basemap without any consideration for the borders of these regions, or the history behind the map itself. Apart from removing the borders in Ireland and Korea, and adding borders for Scotland and Wales you've done nothing other than fill in parts of the map, and it doesn't appear you did so very thoroughly - the multitude of islands in the Arctic Sea that are a part of Russia remain uncoloured, the region of Tibet claimed by India has also escaped unchanged, as have many other areas of the world which appear as though they should belong to one of the coloured in countries.

Now, I'd like to say that you should by no means stop making maps. If you have a good idea for a map then you should definitely try to make said map, but you should always think before you make it. Colouring in parts of a pre-existing basemap without rhyme nor reason, nor even consideration for the history of the world you're portraying is ridiculous and only ever results in badly thought-out and uninteresting maps.

If you have a core idea for this map and the world behind it, you should take that core idea and consider where and how in history the idea may have originated. You should consider that origin when determining how the idea develops - it will likely have an effect on the entire world, very little will remain entirely unchanged. When you've considered this history and it makes sense to you, then try again.

3. How many times do I have to say this?
DON'T UPLOAD TO PHOTOBUCKET.
Or if you have to do so, at least follow Krall's suggestion of clicking 'do not resize' when uploading. Preferrably use imgur.

My suggestion of selecting "Do not resize" was about ImageShack - I've honestly no idea if Photobucket has a similar option.

Well, at least they don't control Wales. What would the Chinese language make out of Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch?

Well, spelled out phonetically and wrangled, I got this:

flan vere phill gung ya gog er i churn drop whan silo go go goch

which in Chinese would end up as:

坯维尔菲尔呱亚歌革呃我翻腾下降焕筒仓去走九策

Translated back this comes up as the rather humerous:

Phil Quack Asia billet Virgin Gog uh I churn down silos to go Goch Hwan

Status
Not open for further replies.