Map Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if anybody had a map of the world shown in the British mockumentary CSA?

I just watched it with an eye to doing something for the ATL Map Database. It was ... odd, to say the least. I think we might have found a rival to the Draka in terms of pure gah-ness. I know it's an ASB satire,* but God, the convergence! Not only do Hitler, Nixon, and JFK all appear on schedule and do their thing at exactly the same time after an 1860 P.O.D., but the CSA gets involved in Vietnam and the Persian Gulf for no conceivable reason (given that they've allegedly 'retreated into isolationism' in the Western Hemisphere in the face of a continuing world trade embargo).

I'm not entirely sure it gives us enough information about the world outside the Americas to do a proper map - we know the USA/Canada border is the same: presumably Alaska fell to the British rather than the CSA (which helps beef out Canada and make their resistance to their expansionist southern neighbour marginally more believable). America takes Cuba and the rest of the Spanish Caribbean, but apparently not the Philippines, which probably became a Japanese possession (whether America grabbed it in the TTL Pacific War, we don't know). The CSA is clearly the Soviet Union of this TL, but what's going on in Russia proper? We're never told. WW1 apparently happens off-camera, with Nazi Germany popping up on schedule. This actually makes it a bit of a Brit/French-wank, as they apparently beat Hitler and the Soviets on their own without the resources of the Western Hemisphere.

My guess is that despite controlling all of the Western Hemisphere except Canada, either directly or through satellite states, the CSA is actually weaker than OTL USA. In favour of this conclusion I would point out that only a fraction of their population is skilled labour with disposable income (women don't even have the vote), they betrayed the last lot of black soldiers they promised freedom, and despite apparently being the sole nuclear power for God knows how long (though IIRC they don't actually say the CSA got it first - interesting point, given the uber-Britain lurking in the background) they didn't manage to expand their influence outside the Americas.

* And a pretty damn dark one at that, if you look at it closely. They use pharmacological means to keep the slave population 'tractable', and equip them with tracking chips which automatically activate if they stray too far from their master's home and alert the police. Even the accusation of non-white ancestry (later proven to be false!) is enough to cause a candidate for the Presidency to commit suicide. Even given that they seem to have a complete media blackout in place (given the framing of the documentary), it's pretty hard to see how this sort of super-oppressive society could survive after the introduction of radios, telephones, cars, colour-TV, all of which the CSA clearly have.

Testing some new gfx techniques: Spread of Islam in Mali Empire, year 1421.

religions1421.gif

The Kiat - Thanks :)

Rekjavik - Ahh, it seems that I screwed up legend a little bit :eek:. By example - large minority is Massima province, small minority provices have narrower stripes.

Nikephoros
- Indeed - map is showing situation from my MMP2 game.

A little thing I did of Iberia.

Kingdom of Andalucia- Top Power

Kingdom of Navarre/Duchy of Catalonia- Second Power

Kingdom of Galicia- 3rd Power

Kingdom of Castilla- 4th Power

Also on the map, the Maghrebbi SUltanate(Green in Africa), France(Blue), and Burgundy(Puprple.)

a complishment.png

I just watched it with an eye to doing something for the ATL Map Database. It was ... odd, to say the least. I think we might have found a rival to the Draka in terms of pure gah-ness. I know it's an ASB satire,* but God, the convergence! Not only do Hitler, Nixon, and JFK all appear on schedule and do their thing at exactly the same time after an 1860 P.O.D., but the CSA gets involved in Vietnam and the Persian Gulf for no conceivable reason (given that they've allegedly 'retreated into isolationism' in the Western Hemisphere in the face of a continuing world trade embargo)..

Perhaps they got involved in Vietnam bcause it was a Confederate colony? They took it from the Japanese, and were driven out by the Vietnamese after a Russia-in-Afganistan type bloodbath...what do they say about the Persian Gulf adventure?

The CSA is clearly the Soviet Union of this TL, but what's going on in Russia proper? We're never told. WW1 apparently happens off-camera, with Nazi Germany popping up on schedule. This actually makes it a bit of a Brit/French-wank, as they apparently beat Hitler and the Soviets on their own without the resources of the Western Hemisphere..

Do they actually mention the Soviet Union? Perhaps the Soviets are nicer guys in this TL and after helping the Brits and French defeat the Germans a Cold War doesn't get going.

Even given that they seem to have a complete media blackout in place (given the framing of the documentary), it's pretty hard to see how this sort of super-oppressive society could survive after the introduction of radios, telephones, cars, colour-TV, all of which the CSA clearly have.

The Soviet Union survived radios, telephones, cars, and colour TV. Indeed, it collapsed more because they were sub-par radios, telephones, cars, etc.

Bruce

Perhaps they got involved in Vietnam bcause it was a Confederate colony? They took it from the Japanese, and were driven out by the Vietnamese after a Russia-in-Afganistan type bloodbath...what do they say about the Persian Gulf adventure?

Vietnam was mentioned as an "expansionist campaign" or something like that.
this is what the 'Offical Timeline' says:

1991: The CSA Attacks Iraq to liberate the Confederate Territory of Kuwait, and helps ensure the CSA will not rely upon foreign governments for energy needs.

Do they actually mention the Soviet Union? Perhaps the Soviets are nicer guys in this TL and after helping the Brits and French defeat the Germans a Cold War doesn't get going.

The offical website just says the War ended on May 8, 1945, with more Soviet casuaties, and the CSA launched Operation "aryan Angel" to rescue Nazis from Germany.

Here's an improved Dymaxion World 2009. I have tweaked the borders and coastlines in Europe, and did the same for South America, and the Indonesian Archipelago, and also included Namibia's Caprivi strip, and fixed a few other somethings in Africa.

Dymaxion World 2009.png

Vietnam was mentioned as an "expansionist campaign" or something like that.
this is what the 'Offical Timeline' says:

1991: The CSA Attacks Iraq to liberate the Confederate Territory of Kuwait, and helps ensure the CSA will not rely upon foreign governments for energy needs.

Ok, that's hard...the area's been UK stomping grounds since the 1800s, it's a bit tricky trying to find a backstory for how there comes to be a Confederate Territory of Kuwait to begin with.

(Anyhoo, wouldn't they have enough oil, what with controlling Mexico and Venezuela?)

Bruce

Ok, that's hard...the area's been UK stomping grounds since the 1800s, it's a bit tricky trying to find a backstory for how there comes to be a Confederate Territory of Kuwait to begin with.

(Anyhoo, wouldn't they have enough oil, what with controlling Mexico and Venezuela?)

Bruce

the whole 'offical TL' makes little sense.
Hawaii and Alaska both become States as in OTL, for the record.
so...yeah.

Here's an improved Dymaxion World 2009. I have tweaked the borders and coastlines in Europe, and did the same for South America, and the Indonesian Archipelago, and also included Namibia's Caprivi strip, and fixed a few other somethings in Africa.

A NEW AGE OF UCS MAP MAKING IS UPON US! NOOBS ASSEMBLE! LET THE ALMIGHTY QAZAQ2007 BE PRAISED, LET THE ALMIGHTY PROPHET, THANDE, BE GIVEN SACRIFICE FOR IS INVENTIONS! AND LET THE CRUCIFIXION OF THE INFAMOUS KRALL COMMENCE! NOOBS! DRAW YOUR MAPS!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Drat. I've just found the official timeline online, which would have saved me having to wade through the documentary proper. It would appear that the CSA does indeed control Alaska, Hawaii, and the Philippines. The degree of convergence is even more offensive if possible than in the movie - cheap goods imported from China after 1972 despite America having a huge zero-wage workforce and little skilled industry to export? It would appear that the Vietnam, Gulf, Afghanistan and Iraq wars are wars of CSA aggression, which begs the question why, given that they've been rabidly expansionist since their creation, the rest of the world hasn't formed a defensive alliance against them. The Soviet Union IS mentioned, and is stated to have 'emerged as the supreme world power' after defeating Germany (there's some indication that most of Europe is part of the Soviet Union) - the 'Newfoundland Missile Crisis' sees Canada allowing the Soviet Union to base 30 missiles on Newfoundland. The CSA do indeed get the atom bomb first, with the aid of Einstein, no less (despite, you know, being almost as radically anti-semitic as the Nazis).

The Soviet Union survived radios, telephones, cars, and colour TV. Indeed, it collapsed more because they were sub-par radios, telephones, cars, etc.

Indeed. However the Soviet Union were thoroughly utopian next to the CSA ITTL. The Soviets, at least in theory, were egalitarian, claimed a mandate from the people, and were not constantly expansionist.

Last edited:

Wow. This map of the world actually shows the Chesapeake Bay.

Excellent work Q.

A few minor notes:

1. There is a green uninhabitated area in Armenia, on an island off the southern tip of Baffin Island and in the Caprivi Strip.

2. A bit of Azerbaijan is in the Iranian colour.

3. You have Egypt controlling the Gaza Strip with there being no Gaza border.

4. The southern most Kurile island is in Japan's colour instead of Russia's.

5. Perhaps Bermuda should be given the British colour. I think there are some possessions in the Pacific too missing their colours such as American Samoa and Pitcairn but the Pacific is a bit harder to navigate in this kind of map(naturally since it focuses on the continents and scattered islands in the Pacific get the short end of the stick) but I'm not 100% sure.

Modifying Q's modern day basic-UCS dymax map, here is 1988. A few things might be missing such as South Africa's bantustans and I think one or two borders in Africa might have been different, but it is more or less correct. Comes complete with South Yemen, the Panama Canal Zone, East Germany, Yugoslavia and the USSR.

Actually I'm posting two versions. Here is version 1:

dymax UCS 1988 I.png

Status
Not open for further replies.