Map Thread IX

Status
Not open for further replies.
And the map...

we_swear_by_the_southern_cross_by_snackserv-d4ovsws.png

Interesting notion, and well-executed. Would the new republic keep the name 'Victoria,' though?

I was unsure about that too, but it seemed like OTL proposals kept the name; for example, Kelly's supposed republic.

How're the Irish doing in this new state?

I presume fairly well, given that Irish Catholics made up the bulk of the revolutionaries including Kelly himself.

I presume fairly well, given that Irish Catholics made up the bulk of the revolutionaries including Kelly himself.

What about the Fenians? Will this new Australian republic become a centre of support for an Irish revolution back in Europe, or rather a destination for the dissatisfied nationalists and wanted men?
Or could it end up as some sort of "New Irish Homeland" in the style of Britains Uganda Programme?

A very random map from me. Just a though experiment turned into one of the little-explored sides of ISOTs...

In 2014, just as the results for the Scottish Independence Referendum get announced, England and Wales are ISOTd out of existence. Much chaos follows.

Eventually Scotland and Ireland decide to federate into the Celtic Federation (Northern Ireland was kind of dragged along too, the "Unionists" were still pretty dazed about what exactly they wanted). This new state manages to hobble along, however relations between it and the European Union sour quickly.

A dispute breaks out over territorial waters in the "English Sea", the CF claims (recognised as a "special case" by much of the world and the International Maritime Organization) still cover the full EEZ of the United Kingdom, whilst the EU backs Franco-Belgian-Dutch-German (FBNG) claims to extend their EEZ. The Celtic Government notes that under those plans the site of London would officially be in France, whilst many in Scotland and Ireland publicly laugh at and support this, there is quite a public sense of pity for England and Wales, and the President of the Federation is well aware of the strength of the "Anglo* Vote".

*Those natives of England that remain refer to themselves as Anglo, not English, partially out of a sense of respect, partially as a slightly mocking note that they are now usually called Anglo-Scottish or Anglo-Celtic as opposed to English.

Anyway; a map! Green is the line recognised as the Celtic claim, Red are the European claims.
EDIT: Uploaded the version with the Channel Islands this time!

English Sea dispute 2.png

Last edited:
A very random map from me. Just a though experiment turned into one of the little-explored sides of ISOTs...
[SNIP]

That has to be one of the most intriguing scenarios I've seen in a long time. I like the cultural element you throw into the whole 'anglo' vs 'english' concept as well as the map detailing something that seems quite realistic as an outcome. Overall, a great map indeed.

I wonder about the future of the monarchy. Interestingly, Scotland may end up in personal union with Norway until they legislate otherwise.

What about the Fenians? Will this new Australian republic become a centre of support for an Irish revolution back in Europe, or rather a destination for the dissatisfied nationalists and wanted men?
Or could it end up as some sort of "New Irish Homeland" in the style of Britains Uganda Programme?

I confess I hadn't really thought about that, but it seems reasonable that some Irish dissidents migrate there, many of whom will probably be supporters of revolution in Ireland, and they would likely find ample opportunities to raise funds; at this time, Melbourne was the richest city in the world thanks to the goldfields.

An attempt at mass relocation of Irishmen from Ireland to Australia sounds unlikely to me, though.

That has to be one of the most intriguing scenarios I've seen in a long time. I like the cultural element you throw into the whole 'anglo' vs 'english' concept as well as the map detailing something that seems quite realistic as an outcome. Overall, a great map indeed.

Thank you. The scenario came to me quite randomly, but I do think it is an interesting one. I might have to do more on it (though who knows how many times I've said that before).

Might justify it joining the Nordic Council however... And it'd be so ironic as well.

Indeed. In fact I definitely see a lot more cooperation with Scandinavia than Europe on the horizon.

I wonder about the future of the monarchy. Interestingly, Scotland may end up in personal union with Norway until they legislate otherwise.
Incidently, the Commonwealth Realms will as well. Hail Harald!

I don't know, Harald is 65 in line apparently (source). The question is who would be in England or Wales when they go, could all 64 people above him get caught?
That is in my opinion why the timing is so important. E&W disappear the instant the results of the referendum are being announced. There must be some members of the government in Edinburgh at the time? Would Cameron go, or would he stay in London? There must be at least one cabinet member there. Would he claim control of the Government of Scotland and Northern Ireland? What if he represented a constituency that no longer existed? Would it be like Quebec where Air Force was apparently told to move out in case it was seized and used as a bargaining chip? What about the Royals? I assume there would be some representative in Edinburgh.

Convinced that in his absence from the Presidency the political rivalries will tear the young nation apart, and urged on by his cabinet members, Washington eventually agrees to serve a third term, despite having initially wished to retire after only the first.
In his third term, Washington presided over the Half-War with France and delivered his Farewell Address, one of the most important and insightful speeches ever given by an American President.
Modern historians believe that Washington was less directly involved in his administration during his third term. Alexander Hamilton is thought to have been especially influential in Washington's decisions, as he had been throughout the first President's second term.

Q1WY9.png

Thank you. The scenario came to me quite randomly, but I do think it is an interesting one. I might have to do more on it (though who knows how many times I've said that before).

Indeed. In fact I definitely see a lot more cooperation with Scandinavia than Europe on the horizon.

I don't know, Harald is 65 in line apparently (source). The question is who would be in England or Wales when they go, could all 64 people above him get caught?
That is in my opinion why the timing is so important. E&W disappear the instant the results of the referendum are being announced. There must be some members of the government in Edinburgh at the time? Would Cameron go, or would he stay in London? There must be at least one cabinet member there. Would he claim control of the Government of Scotland and Northern Ireland? What if he represented a constituency that no longer existed? Would it be like Quebec where Air Force was apparently told to move out in case it was seized and used as a bargaining chip? What about the Royals? I assume there would be some representative in Edinburgh.

Well, I've not done an exhaustive search (mainly just plumping for a name above Haakon at random), but the Carnegies (58th-62nd) are Duke of Fife and children, and while I can't tell for certain if the Duke himself resides in Scotland, his son's family definately does.

EDIT: The Eldest Daughter of the Duke of Gloucester (No. 24 in the line) currently lives in New Zealand. An interesting possibility for a seperate monarchy there at the very least.

Continuing with my Victoria II Maps...

The World in 1900 with added pseudo-Munroist Sidebar :D

vii2a.png

(Full resolution version on my deviantART page)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.